Rebecca Jo

Before you permanently move to the US

541 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

I did have treatment in the London Bridge Hospital, but that was private.

Otherwise I have never been in a inner city hospital so could not comment.

I had my appendix out in a private hospital - lawns/squirrels/silver trays/a selection of newspapers

It was a perk of the job

Unnecessary operation following a bad curry

I hate money being part of the deal - all those fixed smiles and have a nice day

Give me some altruism any day

Harrogate public hospital was very similar to the private hospital but without newspapers and silver trays

moresheep400100.jpg

Yep the election looks very close and the republicans are sworn to repeal the affordable care act - so although 50% of the people don't want to repeal it, they are going to vote for a party that does want to repeal it because of other issues such as guns and Kenya and condoms etc

Re the fingers - I understand now that it was the plastic surgeon that was unavailable. I couldn't imagine that immediate emergency care would be unavailable.

My daughter crashed her car sideways into a lamp post and cut the car in half. Luckily she wasn't wearing her seat belt and was thrown out. The Police said she would have been killed if she had been wearing it and took no action. I called the hospital and they said I couldn't speak to her as she was with the plastic surgeon. Panic - and my mind was imagining all sorts ! Turns out she had a cut on her cheek and he was fixing that. That was within 15 mins of her arriving in hospital and it was an inner city hospital. I can only imagine that your horror story was one of those rare events that are reported every now and then. It was totally unacceptable. I would have been obnoxious and probably got arrested.

Yes, I understand having to wait a *little*longer to see someone in plastics - but to make him turn up for four days in a row, allowed no food and water all day (in the midst of one of the few July heat waves they had ever seen) was a bit much. We couldn't even be given a ball park as to when he might be seen. We weren't offered the first cup of water or tea. I WAS obnoxious. I think my high point was on day three around noon, and shouted 'Even prisoners of war get three square meals a day under the Geneva Convention!' - it was at this point they finally produced cups of tea for the scores of us all waiting to see someone in plastics.

But I digress - we have successfully hijacked this thread. Oops!!

SA4userbar.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

Yes, I understand having to wait a *little*longer to see someone in plastics - but to make him turn up for four days in a row, allowed no food and water all day (in the midst of one of the few July heat waves they had ever seen) was a bit much. We couldn't even be given a ball park as to when he might be seen. We weren't offered the first cup of water or tea. I WAS obnoxious. I think my high point was on day three around noon, and shouted 'Even prisoners of war get three square meals a day under the Geneva Convention!' - it was at this point they finally produced cups of tea for the scores of us all waiting to see someone in plastics.

But I digress - we have successfully hijacked this thread. Oops!!

yes lets leave it to get back on track...

moresheep400100.jpg

I'm an American nurse and recently got my nursing license in the UK and had to take a overseas nursing class to learn about how the NHS works. In no way am I saying that I am an expert on the NHS, but I must say that I was very impressed with learning how it works, especially services like NHS Direct. The post-code lottery as others have mentioned does exist, but there seem to be various strategies to get around it (not that it's right that disparity in care exists).

The NHS has its problems, for sure, but it is still a thousand times better than what we have here in the US. Sure you can get the best emergency care in the world here, but after that, if you have no money to pay, best of luck while you fight that cancer on willpower alone. Yes there is charity/pro-bono services, but not everyone gets that and the thought that people are at the mercy of someone else rather than what's right with their own government is scary because people may not always be charitable (look at this economy).

And our own insurance companies find a million ways to deny you and tell you why you can't have this drug or this procedure even though the doctor (who is the one who went to medical school??) says you need it.

Edited by Justine+David

Naturalization

9/9: Mailed N-400 package off

9/11: Arrived at Dallas, TX

9/17: NOA

9/19: Check cashed

9/23: Received NOA

10/7: Text from USCIS on status update: Biometrics in the mail

10/9: Received Biometrics letter

10/29: Biometrics

10/31: In-line

2/16: Text from USCIS that Baltimore has scheduled an interview...finally!!

2/24: Interview letter received

3/24: Naturalization interview

One thing people don't often mention in this debate about the NHS is that private cover is available and significantly cheaper than in the US due to the NHS being a single payer system.

I had BUPA in the UK (offered as a benefit by my employer). Total value of the annual premium? 500 pounds which was paid entirely by my employer but included as part of my taxable income. So basically I paid less per year for private cover than I pay in 2 weeks in the US.

90day.jpg

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

One thing people don't often mention in this debate about the NHS is that private cover is available and significantly cheaper than in the US due to the NHS being a single payer system.

I had BUPA in the UK (offered as a benefit by my employer). Total value of the annual premium? 500 pounds which was paid entirely by my employer but included as part of my taxable income. So basically I paid less per year for private cover than I pay in 2 weeks in the US.

What healthcare services does BUPA cover? I've only ever seen BUPA hospitals for operations, not A&E etc.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I had similar cover, it is sort of a queue beater, the non emergency services that you would otherwise have to wait for on the NHS.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Ohh yes.

My Parents had similar cover when my Father was working but as they got older it was too expensive so when they wanted to beat the queue they paid out of pocket.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

It's not just the premiums that are cheaper - I only used it for the dentist but I found that most costs were about a third of what I pay here

Dentists in the US seem like a massive rip off, plus I don't think the standards are as good as they are in the UK. :(

OK, regarding the Alvi case and whether or not it will have any implications on the new rules, the truth is we simply don't have any new info yet.

On another front, JM Wilson Solicitors in the UK is undertaking a Judicial Review of the new rules in a hearing to be held on October 16. Quite ballsy at these early stages - good for them!

Our journey together on this earth has come to an end.

I will see you one day again, my love.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Dentists in the US seem like a massive rip off, plus I don't think the standards are as good as they are in the UK. :(

clearly not the case. just look at peoples teeth and you can see that. genuinely laughed out loud when i heard this.

K1

02/09/12 I-129F Sent
02/15/12 NOA1 Received
06/29/12 NOA2 - APPROVED (135 days No RFE's)
07/26/12 UK Medical
07/28/12 Packet 3 received
07/31/12 Visa Fee paid & Packet 3 Sent. (with DS-2001)
08/21/12 Packet 4 received
09/07/12 K1 Interview - APPROVED (205 days No RFE's)
09/13/12 Passport/Visa & Package Received
12/10/12 P.O.E in Las Vegas, NV
12/12/12 Got Marriage License
12/14/12 MARRIED

AOS

12/27/12 Applied for SSC
12/28/12 Received Marriage Certificate
12/28/12 Recieved Marriage Certificate
01/02/13 Received SSC
01/07/13 AOS Sent
01/10/13 NOA Received
02/07/13 Biometrics
03/11/13 EAD & AP Approved (63 days)
03/14/13 EAD & AP card received
03/27/13 AOS Interview - *Error with Medical Certificate*

05/23/13 US Medical

05/29/13 New Medical Certificate Sent

06/07/13 AOS Approved

06/12/13 Green Card Arrived

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.