Rebecca Jo

Before you permanently move to the US

541 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I guess i can just be thankful for being able to spend time with my daughter while learning something new at college too. Im glad i went. Im hoping employment is better for me there. My husbands aunt has two businesses which they said they can find me a few hours work in so if that works out that'll be great :)

That sounds like a good start. You can get some official references and work history so you can apply for other jobs. That is the hardest part I found with finding employment here.

That sounds like a good start. You can get some official references and work history so you can apply for other jobs. That is the hardest part I found with finding employment here.

Yeah definitely! My husband was lucky enough to get his old job back so we're set even if i dont find work. But i want to work just to meet people etc.

CR-1
07-01-2011 : Married

05-10-2012 : I-130 Mailed to London (DCF)
05-11-2012 : I-130 Delivered and signed for at Embassy
05-18-2012 : NOA1 Email
07-26-2012 : NOA2 (69 days)
07-28-2012 : NOA2 hard copy received
08-10-2012 : LND Case number received. Letter dated 08-07-2012
08-15-2012 : DS-230 and DS-2001 mailed to Embassy
08-23-2012 : Medical
09-14-2012 : Emailed Embassy and confirmed DS forms have finally been logged (After 29 days)
09-22-2012 : Interview letter received. Dated September 19th.
10-03-2012 : Interview - Approved!
NOA1 to Interview - 138 days.
10-10-2012 : Passport with Visa delivered two hours late at 8pm.
10-22-2012 : POE Philadelphia
11-15-2012 : Green Card received in mail
12-11-2012 : Went to the Social Security office to apply for SSN after it did not arrive.
12-15-2012 : SSN Arrived in 4 days.

05-09-2013 : Left USC Husband.
11-28-2013: Filed for divorce.

05-01-2014: Divorced

05-08-2014: Sent I-751 petition to VSC

05-13-2014: NOA1 (was not postmarked until 5/22/14 and received on 5/24/14)
06-18-2014: Biometrics in St. Albans, VT

11-21-2014: RFE. Received on 11/24/14.

01-22-2015: Interview notice mailed out. Received 1/26/15

02-12-2015: Interview in St Albans, VT - Approved during interview!

CRBA
08-16-2012 : CRBA in London for our daughter - Approved!
09-11-2012 : CRBA and Passport arrived.
09-25-2012 : SSN Arrived. Mailed from MD on 09-17-2012

Every foreign spouse that I have known in the UK, which includes Americans, Australians, Canadian HK Chinese, Singaporean, South African nationals and probably others I have forgotten have been productive, tax paying individuals who EARNED their right to avail themselves to the NHS.

How many of them have paid National Insurance towards state pensions that they will never qualify for if they choose to return to their home countries at some point, as many do? This is certainly the case for me. I bet Theresa May never thought that such thing could happen.

I have been to the United Kingdom 3 times in the last 7 years. I've never claimed a VAT refund at the airport when I left. I've spent a few thousand each time I was there (especially the last time - oi!).

It occurs to me that I have probably contributed to the NHS.

I want my money back. :P:lol:

Our journey together on this earth has come to an end.

I will see you one day again, my love.

Reply from my MP >>>

Dear Alan,

Thank you for your e-mail and for your comments and suggestions. I’m sympathetic to a lot of what you say and I’m sorry that you have found yourselves in this predicament.

Following a consultation the Government is announcing changes to the rules governing family migration. The Government is proposing to:

• Increase the income threshold for those wishing to bring a spouse/partner to live with them in the UK from £13,700 to £18,60;

• Extend the probationary period by which a non EEC partner or spouse can apply for settlement from 2 – 5 year;

• Introduce criteria by which UKBA caseworkers can test and ensure that relationships are genuine and not sham or forced marriages;

• A “Life in the UK Test” for applicants to prove understanding of the English language and knowledge of life in the UK;

• Adult dependent relatives will only be able to settle in compassionate circumstances and will be limited to immediate family (mothers, fathers, brothers, sisters, children); and to

• Restrict the right of appeal for family visitors.

The Restriction the right of appeal for family visitors has been considered as it is cheaper and quicker for candidates to re-submit their application instead. The Migration Advisory Committee (MAC) recommended an income threshold between £18,600 and £25,700, the Government has adopted the very bottom range of these suggestions (£18,600) and is the point at which a couple ceases to be eligible for income related benefits. Of course, an income threshold already exists and so this is not an entirely new measure.

The coalition Government must be firm but fair on immigration, so I welcome the income threshold that was eventually agreed. However, I completely understand your frustration on this issue and I would like to make it clear that this is a Conservative policy, not a Coalition policy. It seems that this policy reflects the broader Conservative pre-election pledge to cut all immigration by ‘tens of thousands rather than the hundreds of thousands’ and does not take into account individual circumstances that your case rightly highlights.

Please be assured that I will continue to raise the concerns that you have raised on this issue with the Government. Please don’t hesitate to contact me again if I can further assist you with this or any other matter.

Best wishes,

Must be frustrating for this guy to have to try and agree with the Conservatives. From my very informed sources, it was the Lib Dems who put their foot down on the lower threshold. More specific is this report:

http://zeenews.india.com/news/world/britain-s-new-immigration-policy-termed-racist_783595.html

Britain`s new immigration policy termed ``racist`

"The Pakistani origin co-chairperson of Britain's ruling Conservative Party has criticised her government's new immigration policy, terming it "racist".

Baroness Sayeeda Warsi, while pleading with her cabinet colleagues to drop the new policy, warned that it would be seen as a "racist" policy when they discussed curbs on migrants bringing family members to live with them in Britain, reports the Daily Times.

The row exploded when Home Secretary Theresa May proposed that UK citizens earning less than GBP 40,000 should not be allowed to bring in a foreign wife or husband, according to a report.

Warsi, the first Muslim woman to sit in the cabinet, warned that such a policy would amount to a "whites only" entry rule, with family members living in Punjab having no chance of getting to this country.

May was forced to back down and announced a much lower income threshold of 18,600 pounds last week, with a further 2,200 pounds for each child.

"Saeeda does feel passionately about this issue. She fought her corner very strongly. Other ministers took what she was saying very seriously," a source said.

Another cabinet dispute over immigration looms over a plan to exclude foreign students from the official figures. This is being floated by David Willetts, the Conservative universities minister, and Vince Cable, the Liberal Democrat business secretary, who are said to be arguing that students should not be counted because the vast majority only stay in Britain temporarily.

The move would boost David Cameron's prospects of meeting his pledge to reduce net migration to under 100,000 a year. It is currently running at 250,000. But it is being opposed by the British Home Office."

This is probably the lady we all should be writing to.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

It will be easy to 'round trip' the income by showing an individual earning 20k at a family business and then taking the money back in cash.

They could employ 20 waiters with a nominal income of 20k each and then take the cash back. It only costs the tax

I could invent evasions all night long - its easy. It is SO EASY to beat this system !

In an immigrant community where so many are self employed, these schemes will be very easy and very common.

In the insular 'native' English communities it will be much harder - and therefore yes it racist - but against the original natives of England as their communities offer far less opportunities to 'window dress' an individual's income

Get your uncle to give you a contract where he pays you 20k to mow his lawn - give him the money back in the pub later - easy

Edited by Ashud Cocoa

moresheep400100.jpg

Timeline

It will be easy to 'round trip' the income by showing an individual earning 20k at a family business and then taking the money back in cash.

They could employ 20 waiters with a nominal income of 20k each and then take the cash back. It only costs the tax

I could invent evasions all night long - its easy. It is SO EASY to beat this system !

In an immigrant community where so many are self employed, these schemes will be very easy and very common.

In the insular 'native' English communities it will be much harder - and therefore yes it racist - but against the original natives of England as their communities offer far less opportunities to 'window dress' an individual's income

Get your uncle to give you a contract where he pays you 20k to mow his lawn - give him the money back in the pub later - easy

I was wondering about that. How "official" does the job have to be? They don't even keep track of where immigrants move to! I don't see this being very effective, except maybe on the few honest people out there.

My MP forwarded my letter to Theresa May for her response. He's a Lib Dem so I'd liked to have heard his response as well, but there you go.

Timeline

My MP forwarded my letter to Theresa May for her response. He's a Lib Dem so I'd liked to have heard his response as well, but there you go.

Get more sense out of Teresa Green

moresheep400100.jpg

Timeline

:(

Hopefully she will reply to you. I'd be interested in seeing what she comes up with!

Get more sense out of Teresa Green

:lol:

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Bevan would be spinning in his grave if he could see what his idea has transformed into.

The gravy train is over, a lot of people are going to be in for a nasty shock.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

Bevan would be spinning in his grave if he could see what his idea has transformed into.

The gravy train is over, a lot of people are going to be in for a nasty shock.

My great grandmother was Sarah Bevan from the South Welsh borders - perhaps I am related to the great man - look you boyo.

The NHS varies from rubbish to excellent - Harrogate Hospital is great. Come in, sit down, have a coffee, I will bring a doctor to you !

The NHS is the best thing that ever happened to the UK and anyone who beats it up will be voted out.

Aneurin Bevan

Nye Quote:

The eyes of the world are turning to Great Britain. We now have the moral leadership of the world and before many years we shall have people coming here as to a modern Mecca, learning from us in the twentieth century as they learned from us in the seventeenth century.

speech at Manchester, 4 July 1948

Edited by Ashud Cocoa

moresheep400100.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

My Mother's side comes from Glynneath, coal miners. Only a few of my Mother's generation went down the pit and none of mine.

This is nothing new, it has been coming for decades.

:ot2:

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

My husband got a response from his MP. I'll put it up later when I have more time.

Given that Wes is an expat 7 years now, I'm impressed the guy even answered.

Oh - MP is Mark Durkan.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Scotland
Timeline

My Husband got his settlement visa two days ago. We got in under the old rules. Apply before july 9th and you can get ILR in two years, not 5.

The new rules were very worrying, we applied before they were officially announced. It's horrible that they are doing this to real couples. They make out it's to reduce numbers but the marriage settlement visa numbers are pretty low anyway. If they based it on the immigrant's earning potential rather than the citizen it would make more sense seen as I can still claim benefits on my return. I don't want to, but I could. However the visa says on it "No recourse to public funds" so I really don't see where they are coming from on this. Tighten up the benefits system.

Then again I really don't think Theresa May really thought it through. A lot of people in the UK have stereotypes about immigrants taking from the government when they probably don't even know any. I know an immigrant from Pakistan who has worked more in the past 6 years than my own mother has, and she was on benefits for 20 years! This man works 6 days a week 9-5! It's like an easy attack on foreign people rather than fixing what is wrong in UK society.

Service Center : California Service Center

Consulate : London, United Kingdom

I-129F Sent : 2011-02-25

I-129F NOA1 : 2011-03-01

I-129F RFE(s) : 2011-06-04

RFE Reply(s) : 2011-06-07

I-129F NOA2 : 2011-06-17

Packet 3 Received : 2011-08-01

Packet 3 Sent : 2011-08-10

Packet 4 Received : 2011-09-08

Interview Date : 2011-09-26 APPROVED

Visa in Hand : 2011-09-30 9.20am

POE (salt lake city) : 2011-10-06

wedding : 2011-11-01

Its almost over!!!

Timeline

My Husband got his settlement visa two days ago. We got in under the old rules. Apply before july 9th and you can get ILR in two years, not 5.

The new rules were very worrying, we applied before they were officially announced. It's horrible that they are doing this to real couples. They make out it's to reduce numbers but the marriage settlement visa numbers are pretty low anyway. If they based it on the immigrant's earning potential rather than the citizen it would make more sense seen as I can still claim benefits on my return. I don't want to, but I could. However the visa says on it "No recourse to public funds" so I really don't see where they are coming from on this. Tighten up the benefits system.

Then again I really don't think Theresa May really thought it through. A lot of people in the UK have stereotypes about immigrants taking from the government when they probably don't even know any. I know an immigrant from Pakistan who has worked more in the past 6 years than my own mother has, and she was on benefits for 20 years! This man works 6 days a week 9-5! It's like an easy attack on foreign people rather than fixing what is wrong in UK society.

Would do but she is hanging onto a really good job in the US

By sods law, she will lose it soon after the deadline

moresheep400100.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.