13 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Yemen
Timeline

I have been on AP for almost 26months now. I don't know what else to do. I mean, I'm all for safety & security, as I also would want to be safe in America but why should it take this long to get approved? Is there anything out there that I DON'T know about that I should do or contact? I just want to reunite with my wife & kids.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

I have been on AP for almost 26months now. I don't know what else to do. I mean, I'm all for safety & security, as I also would want to be safe in America but why should it take this long to get approved? Is there anything out there that I DON'T know about that I should do or contact? I just want to reunite with my wife & kids.

Your USC spouse can contact their US Senators' offices.

Coming from Yemen is what is issue. 26 months is a very long time for the background check, etc.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Filed: Other Country: Brazil
Timeline

Get your wife congressman involved, but if after a few days nothing change, then you can consider to file a "writ of mandamus' it's to compel an administrative agency to act, for cases delayed beyond reasonable time frame. I filed several writ of mandamus for AP cases, some of them were waiting five,seven years...But before ask your wife to send a very polite email to the US Consulate stating that she is considering to file a writ of mandamus to have your case adjudicated, maybe they will rush with your case, if they do not decide in a few weeks, then file the dams writ of mandamus,lol Good luck

Timeline

Thank you both. I have contacted our senator multiple times. All they do is send an inquiry out and the embassy replies for us to wait. So I guess next step is to try the Writ of Mandamus. I'm not sure what that is yet but I will look into it now. Again, thanks. I hope we get some good news soon.

Timeline

every single one of the writ of mandamus that I handled the Judges didn't even ordered for the agencies to act, because as soon we served the papers to Immigration,FBI, US Consulate , United States Attorney General they decided the cases in a matter of days! They don't want to spend money with Lawyers,and usually they rush to give a decision with they know the Judge will order them to decide.Writ of mandamus is a litle bit expensive, but if your wife is determined she can do by herself.There are several web sites explaining how to o that,it's not a big deal. To wait one year for AP is ok, but 2 years is too much. Good luck

Prior to filing a mandamus action, all other means of resolving the case must be exhausted, ask your wife to call her congressman, ask your wife to send a letter to the US COnsulate stating she is considering to file a writ of mandamus.

Take care

Sandr

Timeline

So my wife has contacted a lawyer who has experience in immigration & he stated that since Yemen is a high risk country that he doesn't want to just take our money and not be able to get the results that we want to see. He also stated that the Writ of Mandamus is not really appropriate for this matter. I'm confused now.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Bahrain
Timeline

So my wife has contacted a lawyer who has experience in immigration & he stated that since Yemen is a high risk country that he doesn't want to just take our money and not be able to get the results that we want to see. He also stated that the Writ of Mandamus is not really appropriate for this matter. I'm confused now.

Its really surprising that the lawyer gave you such advice. Try looking for someone who has more experience in Writ of Mandamus

Timeline

That's the thing, it's so hard choosing a lawyer. We don't know who's good and who is just a waste of money. My wife is always on google and looking over reviews but none state that they are used to handling immigration problems, just filing petitions. I wish we knew someone who has experienced and dealt with a lawyer that they recommend. Sigh, so tiring.

Timeline

So I emailed the embassy stating we we're considering on filing a Writ of Mandamus & this was the reply I got:

Dear Madam/Sir,

Thank you for your inquiry. We are starting to review cases which have

been waiting the longest for their documents to be reviewed or for their

administrative processing to be completed.

We hope to be able to contact the applicant(s) for this case in the near

future with further instructions.

Sincerely,

Immigrant Visa Unit

US Embassy

Sana'a, Yemen

With that being said, what should I do next? Keep waiting? This is not the first email where they stated they are 'starting' to review cases who are on AP. They said that in the past 3emails in the past 6-10 months I've been sending them.

Edited by H&A&N

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

I would give them 30-45 days - but have the USC [your wife, right?] contact her congressperson and senator so that their immigration liaisons can get the exact same message to the consulate. She will need to fill out permission forms with each office. Once you have responses from those offices and nothing is still happening then pull the trigger with respect to an attorney.

To lawyer up for immigration - go ahead and look at this website [she can be doing this homework while waiting for responses to the senators/congressperson's offices]:

http://www.aila.org/

You need to ask prospective attorneys some hard questions:

#1 - Have they filed a Writ?

#2 - How many? Any recently? What were the outcomes?

#3 - Have they dealt with the Yemen consulate specifically? Do they have experience with MENA consulates?

#4 - Cost structure

Yes, I put cost at the end. Something like this is not the time to try and cut costs - every lost year with your family hurts and has an emotional cost could very well be worth more than a few thousand dollars here or a few thousand dollars there.

Best of luck!

Timeline

There is one good lawyer memeber of the AILA he handles writ of mandamus in AP cases his name is Hassan Abdullah. His contact is 510.742.5887, email info@peerally.com. I .am not part of his time,but he is well known for handling cases in Midle East US Consulates.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.