mari&Ryan

My daughter N-600 process

43 posts in this topic

Hi everyone:

I wanted to post this here in case someone might be looking for info regarding the N-600 process. Keep in mind that each case is different as well as it depends of your local office processing times.

My daughter N-600 application: Minor child (13),permanent resident, living with me, the U.S. citizen parent.

Items included in the Package :

1. Check for the amount of $600.00
  2. · Form G-1145 E-notification of Application Acceptance.
  3. · Completed,signed and dated Form N-600.
  4. · Two identical color photographs of the minor child applicant.
  5. · Copy of the Certificate of Naturalization of the mother of the minor childapplicant.
  6. · Copy of both sides of the Green card of the minor child applicant.
  7. · Copy of Birth Certificate of the minor child applicant.
  8. · Copy of divorce decree of the parents of the minor child applicant. (Proof of legalcustody)
  9. · Copy of the Mother's driver license and copy of the minor child applicant's StateID.

Our local office:Chicago.

Sent N-600application: February 4, 2012.

Received the NOAreceipt: February 10, 2012

After I received the NOA I didn't hear from USCIS for about 3 months. Then in May 5th 2012, I received this letter:

post-39894-0-15731300-1338836744_thumb.png

On May 30, I then went to USCIS in behalf of my daughter to pick up her Certificate. Just had to sing some paperwork and review carefully the certificate to make sure everything was correct stated. The whole process for the Certificate was smooth and fast (about 4 months), at least here in Chicago.

Note: On the day of my oath I was told that applicants for N-600 14 years old and older Must appear in person to attend a short interview and take the oath before receiving their Certificates.

Hoping this info might help a little.

K1-K2 Visas Journey

(Day 1) 05/23/07: Packet sent to CSC

(Day 247) 01/25/08: Interview. Approved!

(Day 254) 02/01/08: Visas Received.

AOS Journey K1-K2

(Day 1) 04/20/08: Application sent.

(Day 73) 07/02/08: EAD,AP Approved!

(Day 108) 08/05/08: AOS Approved!

(Day 114) 08/11/08: 2 years GC received.

ROC Journey K1-K2

(Day 1) 05/09/10: Application sent.

(Day 129) 09/14/10: ROC Approved!

(Day 135) 09/20/10: 10 years GC received.

Naturalization Journey

(Day 1) 10/02/11: Application sent.

(Day 122) 01/31/12: Interview. PASSED!

(Day 125) 02/03/12: Oath Ceremony. Done!

End of our Journey:

Daughter and I became U.S. Citizens on 02/03/2012.

(Day 1) 02/09/12: Applied for U.S. Passport & Passport card.

(Day 16) 02/24/12: Passport received.

(Day 19) 02/27/12: Passport Card received.

(Day 24) 03/03/12: Got CoN back.

N-600 for Daughter

(Day 1) 02/04/12: Application sent.

(Day 117) 05/30/12: Picked up Certificate of Citizenship at USCIS local office Chicago.

Thanks for posting. Pretty fast process. I thought it takes longer for the N600 process.

My pleasure. Well I thought that too but probably in our case the fact that I applied right away after I received my CON so my file was still around. Also the processing time in our local office. Honestly, i don't know but hey I'm not complaining smile.gif

K1-K2 Visas Journey

AOS Journey K1-K2

ROC Journey K1-K2

Naturalization Journey

End of our Journey:

N-600 for Daughter

(Day 117) 05/30/12: Picked up Certificate of Citizenship at USCIS local office Chicago.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Surprised they didn't want to see your marriage certificate, even though you already showed that at your AOS and citizenship interview, and definitely showed them proof you were free to bring your child here.

Seems like a rather involved procedure for a child you were told at your oath ceremony is automatically a US citizen. The procedure is practically identical to petition for an unmarried child over 21. Except it took over two years for the USCIS to approve the application, only to be turned off to the NVC for another undetermined period of time and highly based on politics.

Family is not part of these agencies vocabulary.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

I have some question

1. Did your daughter change her lastname to your husband lastname or she just keep her old one on the birth certificate?

2. If she change it. Do they ask for any document to prove that she have the right to change her lastname?

I'm about to apply the Citizenship and I want my daughter to change her lastname to be my husband lastname.

She came here by CR2 Visa. if anyone can help me with this question it would be nice. Thanks

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

NickD are u saying the N600 took over 2 years and involved the NVC?

No, just said if you petitioning for an unmarried over 21 year old, the evidence is just about the same as it is for the N-600. If I met my wife just a few months earlier, stepdaughter would have been under 18 for the N-600 and stepson would have been under 21 so I could have petitioned for him myself. But as it was, stepdaughter had to wait another two years and file for the N-400 herself, and only my wife could petition for her son.

When dealing with the USCIS and the DOS, the ages of 16, 18, and 21 become like gods to them. Its not ages, still dependent kids in reality. And the hell with keeping a family together, tees me off. No way in hell can my stepdaughter afford health insurance, she just graduated, least she can stay on our policy until she is 25! At least some mercy from our stupid government.

Wife could have petitioned for her son when she became a LPR, but was advised to wait until she became a US citizen. Bad advice. Under the current administration, the hell with Latin America, Africa and the middle east is coming first. We are way way back in the line.

Believe for a child name change for the N-600, that has to be done in a court of law with all the paper work showing the original birth certificate and the legal name change sent in with the N-600. Another way is adoption, but that could be one hell of a mess if you have to deal with the home country. Looked into that for my stepdaughter, she would have been grandmother and I would be dead broke by their process.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

Yes, and that it is forwarded to the local office which in my case is slow.

When my husband had his oath ceremony at that office he asked about the status and it will take another month or so.

We will not be here in July so now I have to make sure the local office gets the notice that we are on vacation during July so we are not scheduled to pick something up during that time.

There are offices that are much faster unfortunately Florida offices don't belong to that category!

It will be fine though, they have their passports, the cerificates are just to close with USCIS and if they need proof of their citizenship they don't need my naturalization certificate.

Sib

• 4 weeks later...
Filed: Timeline

To mari&Ryan,

Did you get the notice of pick-up through email or through mail? Was that from the local office?

I have one more question. did your NOA came through mail or through email?

I filed the N-600 along with G-1145 around less than three months ago, and the only thing that I got was the email with a receipt number staring with NBC.

Thank you so much.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

I became citizen in January this year and applied in May this year the N600 on behalf of my 17 years old daughter , and also the only thing I have so far is the NOA letter from the National Benefits Center.

To mari&Ryan,

Did you get the notice of pick-up through email or through mail? Was that from the local office?

I have one more question. did your NOA came through mail or through email?

I filed the N-600 along with G-1145 around less than three months ago, and the only thing that I got was the email with a receipt number staring with NBC.

Thank you so much.

Hi Rockfaith!

Sorry i hadn't seen your question before. I haven't been around lately. To answer your questions:

- I got the letter to pick-up the Certificate through the mail only. It was from my local office (Chicago) on a plain paper.

- As for the NOA I got email/text notification and received the actual notice in the mail a few days later.

I think you should have received the NOA receipt by now. Usually it takes 7-10 days after they receive the packet. You should give them a call.

Hope it helps,

Good luck!

K1-K2 Visas Journey

AOS Journey K1-K2

ROC Journey K1-K2

Naturalization Journey

End of our Journey:

N-600 for Daughter

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.