Jason96

Help PLEASE!!! Death in the family :(((

30 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Walk in and they will issue the advance parole right away,in some cases in a few hours. Do not forget to take evidence of the emergency.

This is not ALWAYS the case. Friend of mine had proof. She was approved but they posted it out. It arrived the day of the funeral and thus was useless.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I agree - Go into the USCIS Field Office and explain the situation.

You're wasting time plugging away on the internet for a solution. Your best bet is to talk to someone in person for this.

Thanks everyone for your help! We were able to figure out how to get thru the menu in InfoPass to schedule an appointment at the nearest field office, so we have an appointment now for tomorrow, and we will see what they will tell us. We do not have an AP, so hopefully they will just grant us one right away so we can purchase our plane ticket.

You help was very much appreciated!! Thanks again! :)

Take care and may God bless!

Filed: Other Country: Brazil
Timeline

I speak for all cases that I have acknowledge, all of them just walked-in, showed proof of the emergency and had the AP granted. In case of denial submit a motion to reconsider with the office that made the unfavorable decision.Good luck.

Edited by sandranj

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Thanks everyone for your help! We were able to figure out how to get thru the menu in InfoPass to schedule an appointment at the nearest field office, so we have an appointment now for tomorrow, and we will see what they will tell us. We do not have an AP, so hopefully they will just grant us one right away so we can purchase our plane ticket.

You help was very much appreciated!! Thanks again! :)

Take care and may God bless!

If you have time, post a brief note here to let everyone know what they do for you. My thoughts are with you and your family. (F)

Sorry to hear about your father-in-law. We had something similar happen. I'm not sure if you filed for the AP when you sent in the AOS documents. It should be a fairly easy process to get the emergency AP. Also go to a Walgreen's or some other place to get 2 passport pics of your wife, we had to leave and go get the pics and then go back. Also when Pui translated her brother's death certificate she wrote the date as DD-MM-YYYY and they asked about that and I said in Thailand they write the date in DD-MM-YYYY format. Good luck over the next day and few weeks and I hope everything goes smoothly for you. Please keep us posted how it goes at the info pass.

AOS Journey

11-04-2011 sent AOS to Chicago lockbox

11-07-2011 delivered

11-08-2011 Date on text messages but did not receive until 11-22-2011

11-23-2011 Check cashed.

11-25-2011 Hard copies of NOA1s

12-06-2012 Pui's Brother unexpectly passes away and we make an info pass appointment and receive an emergancy AP so she can return home. Pui leaves for Thailand for 2 weeks.

12-06-2012 Get a text message and email that she received an RFE

12-12-2012 RFE for original birth certificate. I swear we sent it along with a certificate translation of it.

12-20-2012 Pui returns from Thailand.

12-21-2012 We send the RFE back for with original birth certificate along with a new certificate of translation(I had to wait for her to return for her to sign)

12-26-2012 text and email they have received the RFE.

12-29-2012 Appointment for biometrics is 01-23-2012

01-13-2012 AP is approved.

01-23-2012 Biometrics appointment. Later during the evening the text and email saying the EAD is approved.

01-31-2012 EAD/AP combo card arrives.

05-22-2012 Email and text card is in production!

Here is an alternative option. I recently had a friend, who's Pinay wife's mother had an unexpected early death. My Kano friend took a no -nonsense, non-emotional response to it. Simply, the money (about $5000 when ALL expenses were tallied) used for rushing off to the PI suddenly, could be used for better things, like starting a business for his wife here. So instead of rushing off to Cebu on a midnight flight, the $ was used on the living instead of the dead, and the wife remained in the USA and did whatever she could from her computer instead of a costly trip to the PI. Very impressive when the rational mind over rules the emotional. Best wishes for your circumstance.

Edited by SuperDuper!

Sign-on-a-church-af.jpgLogic-af.jpgwwiao.gif

Filed: Country: Mexico
Timeline

I am sorry for your wife's lost.

I had an emergency before, I went to the office without an info pass and I explained to the person a the edoor my problem, he let me in, then I went to an information window and the person there was very helpful, she gave me a form to fill and told me what documetns I needed for an emergency parole. (which Thanks god I did not use because I got my GC 2 days after).

Good luck.

K

Meet 12/2000; Married 01/2004; AOS 01/2005; R-C 07/2007; Citizen 06/2008
In love for 14 years and happily counting...

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

FYI we applied for AP after getting EAD, due to our attorney being a bone head. It took about 3/4 week via normal channels, good luck on your emergency AP.

In Arizona its hot hot hot.

http://www.uscis.gov/dateCalculator.html

Timeline

Ok, so I finally have time to update this thread with the results. We went to the Louisville, KY USCIS field office, and we had our InfoPASS appointment paperwork, but we were late, yet they didn't ever mention that and it was not a problem for us. We did not have the death certificate yet, nor did we have a letter from the office, the only thing we had were emails and facebook posts about him dying. Despite not having solid proof of death, they accepted the emails and facebook posts as sufficient, and then they told us we could process for $360. I told them I didn't think we were required to pay a fee because we had already filed our I-485 and we had her EAD already, but the lady insisted we had to pay the fee because we were expediting. After telling her there was no expedite fee listed on the form, she said we would just have to wait for the supervisor to get back from lunch, so we waited for a while and when he got back, he agreed that we were exempt from having to pay the fee, and so they gave us two re-entry permits for one year validity. We were soooooo thrilled to get the AP permits, and we offered up a prayer right then to thank God for blessing us, and I must say that overall the officials at that office were very helpful and they really worked with us despite the fact that we didn't have the evidence they needed. Also, they only accept money orders or checks at that office, so I only had a credit card on me at that time, and since we were a long ways from there, that is what led me to question the fee, which in the end resulted in not even having to pay it, thank the good Lord!!!!! :) So that part is done now.

I now have a problem, as I just realized that my passport is five months from expiring, and I have been reading that if you don't have more than six months left until your passport expires, that I might have problems getting into the country when I get to customs in the Philippines. Has anyone ever had less than six months on their passport and successfully entered the Philippines? I would greatly love to hear any feedback about that from any that might have knowledge of such things!!!

Thanks!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
After telling her there was no expedite fee listed on the form, she said we would just have to wait for the supervisor to get back from lunch, so we waited for a while and when he got back, he agreed that we were exempt from having to pay the fee, and so they gave us two re-entry permits for one year validity. We were soooooo thrilled to get the AP permits, and we offered up a prayer right then to thank God for blessing us, and I must say that overall the officials at that office were very helpful and they really worked with us despite the fact that we didn't have the evidence they needed. Also, they only accept money orders or checks at that office, so I only had a credit card on me at that time, and since we were a long ways from there, that is what led me to question the fee, which in the end resulted in not even having to pay it, thank the good Lord!!!!! :) So that part is done now.

No they didnt. They gave HER two ADVANCED PAROLE documents. Totally different paperwork. But CONGRATS!!

• 2 months later...
Timeline

I hope you can still read my comment. Crossfinger. I need your help as we have the same situation. I wanted to go home because my dad passed away 3 days ago, unfortunately, my aos is still on process and I did not file for advance parole, thinking that I will not to travel right away. I made an appointment to infopass but it broke my heart when the available day of appointment is September 14 and the burial day of my papa is on the 10th. What shall I do? I am so down now. I wanna go home and see my dad for the last time. Can I just go to local uscis without any appointment letter? Will they let me in? How about the fees? Am I going to pay for AP fees? Please help..

You can try to go to your local office without an appointment (bring evidence of the death and your pending AOS) but you may not be allowed in. Is there another office you can get to with a sooner Infopass? You don't have to go to the closest one.

Otherwise, do you have overstay? If not you could always leave and file for a CR-1 from abroad but you'd have to stay abroad until that was completed.

OUR TIMELINE

I am the USC, husband is adjusting from B2.

ADJUSTMENT OF STATUS

08.06.2010 - Sent off I-485
08.25.2010 - NOA hard copies received (x4), case status available online: 765, 131, 130.
10.15.2010 - RFE received: need 2 additional photos for AP.
10.18.2010 - RFE response sent certified mail
10.21.2010 - Service request placed for biometrics
10.25.2010 - RFE received per USCIS
10.26.2010 - Text/email received - AP approved!
10.28.2010 - Biometrics appointment received, dated 10/22 - set for 11/19 @ 3:00 PM
11.01.2010 - Successful biometrics walk-in @ 9:45 AM; EAD card sent for production text/email @ 2:47 PM! I-485 case status now available online.
11.04.2010 - Text/Email (2nd) - EAD card sent for production
11.08.2010 - Text/Email (3rd) - EAD approved
11.10.2010 - EAD received
12.11.2010 - Interview letter received - 01.13.11
01.13.2011 - Interview - no decision on the spot
01.24.2011 - Approved! Card production ordered!

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

11.02.2012 - Mailed I-751 packet to VSC
11.08.2012 - Checks cashed
11.10.2012 - NOA1 received, dated 11.06.2012
11.17.2012 - Biometrics letter received for 12.05.2012
11.23.2012 - Successful early biometrics walk-in

05.03.2013 - Approved! Card production ordered!

CITIZENSHIP

Filing in November 2013

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.