Brad and Vika

MIL Visa

37 posts in this topic

Good luck, Brad.

If you need extract, just say the code word.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good luck, Brad.

If you need extract, just say the code word.

Thanks man. MIL arrived OK, but her phone definitely doesn't work here. We got her all settled in, and took a little driving tour in the rain. It isn't MIL I am worried about though :lol:

3dflags_ukr0001-0001a.gif3dflags_usa0001-0001a.gif

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

• 3 weeks later...

Still no extract required. MIL cooks up a storm, and really seems to be enjoying her visit. So far, we really haven't gone anywhere further than a 90 minute drive.

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

As you all may have seen in my recent post history, we did get MIL a 5 year multi entry visa. Based on her comments, the CO's decision was made before the interview started. She had all the standard ties to Ukraine (pension, property, job, husband)and certification of her ill and unwell dad living with her and FIL. In addition, she had a recent Schengen visa with timely return, and I asked our Congressman to have the appropriate staffer email the consular section. They also provided a nice letter for MIL to take to the interview.

I wanted to put this out there because I have read lots of posts stating that an in-law got a visa without a hitch, and a bunch stating that a visa was denied with no apparent reason. Please post your story so RUB members can see what works and doesn't.

Great info Brad! Thanks

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Great info Brad! Thanks

No sweat. I will add that MIL told us the letter from our congressional rep seemed to help at POE too. She couldn't communicate with the officer, but understood they were asking what she was doing in America.

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

No sweat. I will add that MIL told us the letter from our congressional rep seemed to help at POE too. She couldn't communicate with the officer, but understood they were asking what she was doing in America.

For the MIL we are going the I-130 route, works every time but she stays permanently :blush: She is not up fore travel and to be honest after this trip I think we are going to go for an expedite when Alla gets back. Alla is the petitioner so she has to ask for it.

But good info for others. Sergey's girlfriend got a Shengen visa and went to Germany and Spain and returned so she will try for a visitor visa again. She is also taking the TOEFL exam and applying to coleges in and around Houston, TX (imagine the coincidence)

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: Timeline

As you all may have seen in my recent post history, we did get MIL a 5 year multi entry visa. Based on her comments, the CO's decision was made before the interview started. She had all the standard ties to Ukraine (pension, property, job, husband)and certification of her ill and unwell dad living with her and FIL. In addition, she had a recent Schengen visa with timely return, and I asked our Congressman to have the appropriate staffer email the consular section. They also provided a nice letter for MIL to take to the interview.

I wanted to put this out there because I have read lots of posts stating that an in-law got a visa without a hitch, and a bunch stating that a visa was denied with no apparent reason. Please post your story so RUB members can see what works and doesn't.

We also got the MIL a five year visa with no troubles. Ties to the motherland were, I suspect, the big thing, and she has them in spades. She'd also visited Finland last year, and could show that she'd returned home within the allotted time. She just returned home after staying with us for a couple months, and it's nice to know we're not gonna have to worry about this again for quite a few more years.

I think the visas denied "with no apparent reason" are usually down to not being able to show ties to their country of residence. If ties are hard to show, might not be a bad idea for the family member to do a little traveling to closer countries first, so they can show they have a record of returning home. (that's anecdotal on my part, not to be relied on as teh troof. :))

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

We also got the MIL a five year visa with no troubles. Ties to the motherland were, I suspect, the big thing, and she has them in spades. She'd also visited Finland last year, and could show that she'd returned home within the allotted time. She just returned home after staying with us for a couple months, and it's nice to know we're not gonna have to worry about this again for quite a few more years.

I think the visas denied "with no apparent reason" are usually down to not being able to show ties to their country of residence. If ties are hard to show, might not be a bad idea for the family member to do a little traveling to closer countries first, so they can show they have a record of returning home. (that's anecdotal on my part, not to be relied on as teh troof. :))

No, I have definitely heard that as a big factor before and that is always what I tell people to do if they want to visit the US: get their zagran and a shengen out of the way, and then think about the US.

Первый блин комом.

No, I have definitely heard that as a big factor before and that is always what I tell people to do if they want to visit the US: get their zagran and a shengen out of the way, and then think about the US.

Most of the people we know personally that brought an in-law (or plan to) recently are doing this. I don't know any way to judge, other than the results.

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

My MIL related something to me today that I thought I would share here.

We payed for an agent to help her fill out her visa B application, and prepare her documents and proofs. It cost about $50 alltogether. MIL says that the agent believes there is a simple reason that a Schengen visa + timely return will get you a B-2 to America. She says that the American authorities are just lazy, and they know that the EU background checks are thorough, so they don't need to do all the work if the Schengen visa was recent.

I thought that was pretty funny. Kind of like saying that some one will make a good parent because they had several pets.

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

Filed: Timeline

Interesting. I'm not so sure I believe it's as simple as that. Certainly it might be reassuring that they've already passed EU background checks, but I'd be surprised if there was an attitude of "well ok, put this one through a less rigid background check, they're probably good to go."

I'm guessing that having a Schengen in your passport is the equivalent of having a little extra evidence with you at the K1 interview. It's just one more thing in your favor, but you still have to meet the requirements.

I personally believe a Shen visa from Europe doesn't matter at all. I believe what they're looking for is a good story of "she'll be here from this time to this time and must go home or else I'll put her on the plane myself."

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

Starting on September 9th, it's going to be a whole new ball game, so we'll see.

My MIL related something to me today that I thought I would share here.

We payed for an agent to help her fill out her visa B application, and prepare her documents and proofs. It cost about $50 alltogether. MIL says that the agent believes there is a simple reason that a Schengen visa + timely return will get you a B-2 to America. She says that the American authorities are just lazy, and they know that the EU background checks are thorough, so they don't need to do all the work if the Schengen visa was recent.

I thought that was pretty funny. Kind of like saying that some one will make a good parent because they had several pets.

Yeah no. It's not a question of background checks. It's "will they stay or will they go?"

Первый блин комом.

Starting on September 9th, it's going to be a whole new ball game, so we'll see.

Yeah no. It's not a question of background checks. It's "will they stay or will they go?"

Right :lol: The laziness of the American Consul is one of those nasty rumours that just will not die.

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.