C-ma'am

Name Changes and The Order of things

27 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline

Applied for an ssn right after the marriage in my married name.didn't wanted to apply and then have to come back and change it and wait for a new card.too much hustle and paperwork.did it all in once :)

Visa Journey:

K1:

Service Center: Vermont Service Center

Consulate: Frankfurt, Germany

I-129F Sent: 10-13-2010

I-129F NOA1: 10-18-2010

I-129F NOA2: 04-05-2011

Consulate Received: 04-15-2011

Packet 3 Received: 04-29-2011

Packet 3 Sent: 04-30-2011

Packet 4 Received: 05-07-2011

Interview Date: 06-07-2011

Interview Result: Visa was on hold

Second Interview: Approved

Visa Received: 01-20-2012

ENTRY: 02-12-2012

Married: 03-26-2012

AOS 04-19-2012

Email notification 04-26-2012

NOA1 send : 04-24-2012

Biometric send: 04-27-2012

Biometric appt: 05-18-2012

AOS transfer to CSC: 05-24-2012

EAD/AD approved&send: 06-22-2012

EAD/AD arrived: 06-28-2012

e4nrdek1wws.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

Applied for an ssn right after the marriage in my married name.didn't wanted to apply and then have to come back and change it and wait for a new card.too much hustle and paperwork.did it all in once :)

Yeah blush.gif this was originally my idea, until I was made aware of the fact I wouldn't have many days left on my i-94 after the wedding and it could have posed a problem good.gif

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline

Yeah blush.gif this was originally my idea, until I was made aware of the fact I wouldn't have many days left on my i-94 after the wedding and it could have posed a problem good.gif

oh yeah when it gets too close u dont wanna jeopardize it .totally understand that :) u never know with the government offices here :whistle:

Visa Journey:

K1:

Service Center: Vermont Service Center

Consulate: Frankfurt, Germany

I-129F Sent: 10-13-2010

I-129F NOA1: 10-18-2010

I-129F NOA2: 04-05-2011

Consulate Received: 04-15-2011

Packet 3 Received: 04-29-2011

Packet 3 Sent: 04-30-2011

Packet 4 Received: 05-07-2011

Interview Date: 06-07-2011

Interview Result: Visa was on hold

Second Interview: Approved

Visa Received: 01-20-2012

ENTRY: 02-12-2012

Married: 03-26-2012

AOS 04-19-2012

Email notification 04-26-2012

NOA1 send : 04-24-2012

Biometric send: 04-27-2012

Biometric appt: 05-18-2012

AOS transfer to CSC: 05-24-2012

EAD/AD approved&send: 06-22-2012

EAD/AD arrived: 06-28-2012

e4nrdek1wws.png

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

This is somewhat universal for all agencies checking your immigration/visa status or validity. Less than 14 days left and you're stuck with waiting around until EAD or greencard, in most states.

My state is a bit different though(Indiana). I had it easy(once getting the hang of it), and therefore manage to have SSN in maiden name, then state ID, going back to get a permit, then SSN in married name and then permit in married name. It was all before i-94 expired however, and my name was entered the wrong way at POE in their date base so nothing matched but it took a very short time to correct it though.

K1 process, October 2010 > POE, July 2011

I-129F approved in 180 days from NOA1 date. (195 days from filing to NOA2 in hand)

Interview took 224 days from I-129F NOA1 date. (241 days from filing petition until visa in hand)

From filing I-129F petition until POE: 285 days

Click timeline or "about me" for all details.

AOS process, December 2011 > July 2012

EAD/AP Approval took 51 days from NOA1 date to email update. (77 days from filing until EAD/AP in hand)

AOS Approval took 206 days from NOA1 date to email update. (231 days from filing until greencard in hand)

From filing I-129F petition until greencard in hand: 655 days

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I have some question about this name change as well.

Married last year did not change my name to my husband's last name. I used my last name on my I-130 application

and got an approval.

Now,I'm in the process of sending my AOS, EAD application. On my I-797, my name was under my maiden name still.

Will USCIS issue my documents like my EAD in my husband's last name or do I have to call them or what.

I'm confused about this name change

Adjusting from B1/B2

01-30-2012 - Mailed I-130 Petition thru USPS Express Mail

02-05-2012 - Received Email Confirmation with Receipt Number

02-09-2012 - Received I-797C NOA in the mail

05-23-2012 - Received Email that I-130 was Approved

05-29-2012 - Received I-797 Approval Notice

06-13-2012 - Mailed I-485 & I-765 Packet thru USPS Express Mail

06-15-2012 - Packets received by USCIS Chicago Lockbox

06-19-2012 - Received Email that application/petition transferred to National Benefits Center

06-23-2012 - Received I-797C NOA (for I-485 & I-765) in the mail with receipt #'s, USCIS# and payment information

07-12-2012 - Received I-797C NOA for Biometrics Schedule Appointment in the mail

08-06-2012 - Biometrics Appointment taken at local USCIS Office

08-17-2012 - Received Email & Text Status Updated: Card Production for I-765 EAD

08-22-2012 - Received Email & Text Alert: EAD on Production & AOS Interview Schedule

08-22-2012 - Received I-797C NOA for Initial Interview Schedule in the mail

08-25-2012 - Received EAD thru USPS Priority Mail

09-24-2012 - Interview date and we got Approved on the spot

09-24-2012 - Received Text Status Update: Card / Document Production for Green Card

09-25-2012 - Received Text Status Update: Decision: mailed a notice that we had registered this customer's new permanent resident status

09-28-2012 - Received Text Status Update: Card / Document Production: We mailed the new card directly to the address we have on file

10-01-2012 - Green Card Received in the mail with I-797 Welcome Notice

Timeline

Well, I'm so confused now sad.gif

Ever since I posted this, I kept on wondering how the whole name thing was done in Virginia.

So, I just called the Court House of C's hometown and spoke with the clerk.... She told me that here, when you get married and you sign the papers, they don't make you choose for the name that will go on the Marriage Certificate; and that it will be issued in my maiden's name. WITH the marriage certificate, THEN, I can go to the SS Office to change my name.

Mr. SS Employee had told me that the only way I could do that, would be if my I-94 wasn't expired or when I had the GC in my hands. So.... Supposedly, I will have time to do it before the I-94 expires: we are getting married on the 16th, which means that, according to the Court Clerk, I will have our marriage certificate by the end of the week to follow.... that puts us around the 22nd of June... and the I-94 expires on July 21st. I would have a month left on it.

What do you think? Because if they don't let me change it, at the SS Office, when I go after the wedding with our certificate in hand..... I will have to file AOS with my maiden name, right?

Here I was thinking I had it all figured out and now I feel lost wacko.gif

Edited by Celeste & C

Ever since I posted this, I kept on wondering how the whole name thing was done in Virginia.

So, I just called the Court House of C's hometown and spoke with the clerk.... She told me that here, when you get married and you sign the papers, they don't make you choose for the name that will go on the Marriage Certificate; and that it will be issued in my maiden's name. WITH the marriage certificate, THEN, I can go to the SS Office to change my name.

Mr. SS Employee had told me that the only way I could do that, would be if my I-94 wasn't expired or when I had the GC in my hands. So.... Supposedly, I will have time to do it before the I-94 expires: we are getting married on the 16th, which means that, according to the Court Clerk, I will have our marriage certificate by the end of the week to follow.... that puts us around the 22nd of June... and the I-94 expires on July 21st. I would have a month left on it.

What do you think? Because if they don't let me change it, at the SS Office, when I go after the wedding with our certificate in hand..... I will have to file AOS with my maiden name, right?

You're fine. Just go to the SS office with the marriage certificate and change it. You do not need to file the AOS in your maiden name even if the SS office gives you trouble. The marriage gives you the right to take on your husbands name. USCIS deals with the names being different from the original name all the time with AOS from K-1's. They're also very aware many states do not put the new married name on the marriage certificate. Your file is tracked by your Alien Number and receipt number.

K1 from the Philippines
Arrival : 2011-09-08
Married : 2011-10-15
AOS
Date Card Received : 2012-07-13
EAD
Date Card Received : 2012-02-04

Sent ROC : 4-1-2014
Noa1 : 4-2-2014
Bio Complete : 4-18-2014
Approved : 6-24-2014

N-400 sent 2-13-2016
Bio Complete 3-14-2016
Interview
Oath Taking

Timeline

You're fine. Just go to the SS office with the marriage certificate and change it. You do not need to file the AOS in your maiden name even if the SS office gives you trouble. The marriage gives you the right to take on your husbands name. USCIS deals with the names being different from the original name all the time with AOS from K-1's. They're also very aware many states do not put the new married name on the marriage certificate. Your file is tracked by your Alien Number and receipt number.

Oh thank you, Caryh!!! Thank you! What would I do without VJ!?

I feel more at ease, now biggrin.gif

Celeste, your original plan was perfect. You can use your married name once you get married. Your docs (SS Card) will be a bit slower in getting "updated" but they are still 100% valid. File AOS in married name, just like your original plan.

I am not sure where people get the idea that your SS Card controls your name. It does not. A SS Card is NOT a national ID number.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Timeline

Celeste, your original plan was perfect. You can use your married name once you get married. Your docs (SS Card) will be a bit slower in getting "updated" but they are still 100% valid. File AOS in married name, just like your original plan.

I am not sure where people get the idea that your SS Card controls your name. It does not. A SS Card is NOT a national ID number.

Thank you <3 I'll stick to my plan! rose.gifyes.gif I guess that was my conception too and I never bothered to ask anybody about it; and, until just now, no one had educated me otherwise.

I really appreciate the help!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

Most county clerk's offices allow walk-ins, so your certified marriage certificate will be handed to you on the spot - the price vary from place to place. No need to wait. Get a few certified copies when you're there anyways. And on your way home, swing by SSA.

My marriage cert. is in maiden name. A simple "I will be using my husband's last name from now on" was enough for the SS employee.

File AOS in the name you want to use in the future. If that's your husband's last name, then fill out all forms with married name. At your biometrics appointment, bring a certified copy of marriage certificate to (once again) prove your identity with married name.

K1 process, October 2010 > POE, July 2011

I-129F approved in 180 days from NOA1 date. (195 days from filing to NOA2 in hand)

Interview took 224 days from I-129F NOA1 date. (241 days from filing petition until visa in hand)

From filing I-129F petition until POE: 285 days

AOS process, December 2011 > July 2012

EAD/AP Approval took 51 days from NOA1 date to email update. (77 days from filing until EAD/AP in hand)

AOS Approval took 206 days from NOA1 date to email update. (231 days from filing until greencard in hand)

From filing I-129F petition until greencard in hand: 655 days

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.