C-ma'am

Name Changes and The Order of things

27 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

I went to get my SS# today (mission accomplished) and while I was there, I figured I would ask Mr. SS Employee about changing my name after the wedding and how I would go about changing it on the card later on.

His response threw me off and was not what I was expecting; but since I don't want to confuse others, and I'm pretty sure I know the correct answer, I'll just want to double check my steps with you.

Bare in mind that we are getting married in June 16th and the deadline on the i-94 is July 21st, so I had to get it with my maiden name because of this... so:

Step 1: Get a SS# with maiden name before the i-94 expired or had less than 15 days on it - CHECK!

Step 2: Get married and obtain marriage certificate:

Step 3: With marriage certificate in hands, apply for AOS AND HERE COMES THE TRICK Fill out the forms with my married name (or the name I will adopt after marriage rather)

Step 4: With AOS complete, or at least EAD in hand, go back to the Social Security Office and change the name on the card to Celeste MarriedtoC

Are these the correct steps? How did you do it? (assuming you got your SS# before marriage with your maiden name on it)

Timeline

Perfect!

Oh YAY! Thank you! I'll do that then... no more paperwork until after the wedding kicking.gif... In Argentina we say: Those who burn themselves with milk, see a cow and cry. That's how I feel about forms LOL

I went to get my SS# today (mission accomplished) and while I was there, I figured I would ask Mr. SS Employee about changing my name after the wedding and how I would go about changing it on the card later on.

His response threw me off and was not what I was expecting; but since I don't want to confuse others, and I'm pretty sure I know the correct answer, I'll just want to double check my steps with you.

Bare in mind that we are getting married in June 16th and the deadline on the i-94 is July 21st, so I had to get it with my maiden name because of this... so:

Step 1: Get a SS# with maiden name before the i-94 expired or had less than 15 days on it - CHECK!

Step 3: With marriage certificate in hands, apply for AOS AND HERE COMES THE TRICK Fill out the forms with my married name (or the name I will adopt after marriage rather)

Step 4: With AOS complete, or at least EAD in hand, go back to the Social Security Office and change the name on the card to Celeste MarriedtoC

Are these the correct steps? How did you do it? (assuming you got your SS# before marriage with your maiden name on it)

Different states have different ways of taking on the new name after marriage. In my own state you give your names after marriage right in the form you use to get your marriage license. After marriage you can then bring your marriage certificate to the SS office and change your name. No waiting on the EAD or green card because the marriage certificate documents the name change for you. But yes, its always good to apply for the AOS/EAD/AP in the new married name. Otherwise you're stuck with the maiden name until you remove conditions or you can also send back the green card, pay a huge fee and wait again to get the replacement card in the new name.

K1 from the Philippines
Arrival : 2011-09-08
Married : 2011-10-15
AOS
Date Card Received : 2012-07-13
EAD
Date Card Received : 2012-02-04

Sent ROC : 4-1-2014
Noa1 : 4-2-2014
Bio Complete : 4-18-2014
Approved : 6-24-2014

N-400 sent 2-13-2016
Bio Complete 3-14-2016
Interview
Oath Taking

Timeline

Different states have different ways of taking on the new name after marriage. In my own state you give your names after marriage right in the form you use to get your marriage license. After marriage you can then bring your marriage certificate to the SS office and change your name. No waiting on the EAD or green card because the marriage certificate documents the name change for you. But yes, its always good to apply for the AOS/EAD/AP in the new married name. Otherwise you're stuck with the maiden name until you remove conditions or you can also send back the green card, pay a huge fee and wait again to get the replacement card in the new name.

Ahhh ok gotcha! good.gif We got our marriage license in VA and were given all the stuff that our Minister will need for the ceremony. So, I suppose I'll be able to sign as Celeste MarriedtoC there, as you say.

Any Virginians that can corroborate?

I can always get a hold of our Minister and ask him, right? He should know! tongue.gif

Ugh, useless complication :)

USCIS is a federal agency, as as such, accepts your marriage cert as proof of name change. SSA will also accept a marriage cert as proof of name change. However, training SSA employees to change a SSN based on a K-1 after I-94 expiration can be tough. Also, you don't need it in your married name. Also, you probably want to get an unrestricted card and update your status once you get the GC (and the name). I say don't waste trips there, just update the name when you get the GC. You can use your name as soon as you are married... it's just that your docs might be a little slower in updating.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Timeline

Ugh, useless complication :)

USCIS is a federal agency, as as such, accepts your marriage cert as proof of name change. SSA will also accept a marriage cert as proof of name change. However, training SSA employees to change a SSN based on a K-1 after I-94 expiration can be tough. Also, you don't need it in your married name. Also, you probably want to get an unrestricted card and update your status once you get the GC (and the name). I say don't waste trips there, just update the name when you get the GC. You can use your name as soon as you are married... it's just that your docs might be a little slower in updating.

Understood good.gif

Thank you both!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Argentina
Timeline

Celes! Thats the same i did, and for my name change i only waited for the NOA, not even my EAD.

As you just said, i applied for AOS, and with my NOA letter in hand (it, of course, had my married name) i went to back to the SS office. Few days after i had my new SS card at home!!!

Visa K1

Vermont Service Center

Consulate :Argentina

I-129F Sent : 2011-08-12

I-129F NOA1 : 2011-08-16

Interview Date : 2012-02-02

Visa Received : 2012-02-15

Estimates/Stats :

My I-129f was approved in 120 days from your NOA1 date.

My interview took 170 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS:

CIS Office : Syracuse NY

Date Filed : 2012-03-20 (Lock-box Chicago)

USCIS received : 2012-03-22

NOA1 email: 2012-04-02

Check Cashed: 2012-04-03

NOA in hand: 2012-04-09

Biometrics: 2012-04-20

EAD & AP Approved 2012-05-16

AOS interview 2012-07-30 APPROVED

GC Prod. order 2012-08-10

Green card touched 2012-08-15!!!!

ROC:

Vermont Service Center

Date sent : 2014-05-09

Vmnt received : 2014-05-12

Check Cashed: 2014-05-15

Children NOA received: 2014-05-16

My NOA received 2014-05-29

Biometric Current

Timeline

Celes! Thats the same i did, and for my name change i only waited for the NOA, not even my EAD.

As you just said, i applied for AOS, and with my NOA letter in hand (it, of course, had my married name) i went to back to the SS office. Few days after i had my new SS card at home!!!

Awesome girl! We had an extra long weekend because C didn't have to go to work today, but I'll be free tomorrow. Email me and let me know if you have time to Skype so we can catch up!

Thanks for the info!!! heart.gif

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: France
Timeline

That's what I did, I still have Step 4 to do though. The SS employee told me to go back with my EAD and marriage certificate to do the name change on my SS card. :)

K-1 Visa Timeline AOS Timeline

- Aug 31st, 2011 - Mailed I-129F package - May 29th, 2012 - Mailed AOS/EAD/AP package

- Apr 13th, 2012 - Visa received - Aug 24th, 2012 - Green Card received

ROC Timeline

- May 19th, 2014 - Mailed ROC package to CSC

- Aug 8th, 2014 - Green Card received

N-400 Timeline

- Dec 29th, 2021 - Filed online. Got notice that biometrics will be reused.

- Now waiting...

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Is everything issued (AOS/EAD/AP) in the maiden name if you come in on a K1 visa? Just curious because I have decided to keep my maiden name after marriage..don't want the hassle of having to change my passport etc over to married name.

NATURALIZATION -WOOOHOO

Final paperwork sent to lawyer - 14-Dec-2015

GC-Date: Resident Since 02/13/2013

Sent: N-400 Sent 12/21/2015
NOA: 12/24/2015

Biometrics: 01/20/2016
In Line: 01/25/2016
Int Ltr: 01/28/2016
Interview: 03/08/2016
Oath: 04/14/2016
Field Office: Buffalo NY

I am a US Citizen!!!

Timeline

Is everything issued (AOS/EAD/AP) in the maiden name if you come in on a K1 visa? Just curious because I have decided to keep my maiden name after marriage..don't want the hassle of having to change my passport etc over to married name.

Everything should be issued with the name of choice. Since there is no obligation to change your name, you'll just have to send everything with you name as it is now. As you said, it'll actually be less hassle good.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Everything should be issued with the name of choice. Since there is no obligation to change your name, you'll just have to send everything with you name as it is now. As you said, it'll actually be less hassle good.gif

Thanks Celeste! Much appreciated.

NATURALIZATION -WOOOHOO

Final paperwork sent to lawyer - 14-Dec-2015

GC-Date: Resident Since 02/13/2013

Sent: N-400 Sent 12/21/2015
NOA: 12/24/2015

Biometrics: 01/20/2016
In Line: 01/25/2016
Int Ltr: 01/28/2016
Interview: 03/08/2016
Oath: 04/14/2016
Field Office: Buffalo NY

I am a US Citizen!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Guatemala
Timeline

According to the officer in my SS office you can change your name to your married name as long as you have a valid I-94 and a marriage certificate!!!! So, as long as you go to the SS office before the 3 months are over you can still do it! No need to wait for the green card to do so.

K1 VISA
01/07/2011-> Packet Sent.
01/12/2011-> NOA1
05/11/2011-> NOA2
05/19/2011-> NVC Receives we have our No.
05/20/2011-> Case sent to the Consulate.
05/25/2011-> Consulate Received Package.
05/28/2011-> Received Packet 4 with my Interview Letter.
06/01/2011-> Medical Exam.
07/14/2011-> Interview at 8:00 am. APPROVED!!!
07/18/2011-> Pick up Visa at the Embassy.
08/03/2011-> P.O.E.
10/15/2011-> MARRIED!

AOS

11/07/2011-> AOS Packet Sent.

11/10/2011-> NOA Date According email & online status.

11/19/2011-> Hard Copies & Biometrics App. Letter.

11/23/2011-> Biometrics Walk In. (Original App. 12/06/2011)

02/07/2012-> AOS transferred to CSC.

02/17/2012-> EAD Card Received in Mail.

05/04/2012-> Green Card Production Ordered.

05/10/2012-> Green Card and Welcome Letter Received.
ROC

02/03/2014-> ROC Packet Sent.

02/10/2014-> NOA1 Date according to Hard Copy.

03/11/2014-> Biometrics Date.

08/01/2014-> Approved (Letter Rcvd. 08/07/14)

08/14/2014-> 10 Year Green Card Received.

N-400

11/02/2015-> N-400 Packet Sent.

11/04/2015-> N-400 Packet Delivdered.

11/05/2015-> NOA1 Date according to Hard Copy.

12/01/2015-> Biometrics Date.

04/07/2016-> Civics Exam and Interview (Rescheduled from 03/01) PASSED!

04/27/2016-> Oath. I am a US Citizen. This is how this journey ends!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.