Dine

Looking for work in St. Louis

39 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Bosnia-Herzegovina
Timeline

Hello,

there are LOTS of voluntary jobs in hospitals, and if you start as a volunteer you might be a top pick when a permanent position opens up. That's how I got my job...

Good luck!

Hi there

Thanks for the reply. I don't mind doing volunteer work, I have done some already, but I really need a job now. Working as a PT aide for example is almost the same as working as a volunteer, the pay is almost non existent :D But I would be more then happy to do that right now.. I need to have an income.

People help!!!!! :))

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

tempus fugit.

sorry. yer probably used to 'online' stuff back at yer home country.

it doesn't work that way here, in many industries and professions.

many times, it's who ya know and who knows you.

no one knows you, you know no one.

bring sandwiches, make new friends, 3rd shift (you missed that part, and I surmise you not know what it means) also.

You get involved with LOCAL professional organizations, as well? if not, why not?

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Timeline

tempus fugit.

sorry. yer probably used to 'online' stuff back at yer home country.

it doesn't work that way here, in many industries and professions.

many times, it's who ya know and who knows you.

no one knows you, you know no one.

bring sandwiches, make new friends, 3rd shift (you missed that part, and I surmise you not know what it means) also.

You get involved with LOCAL professional organizations, as well? if not, why not?

Again, thanks for the advice. I am involved with local organizations, I am connected to a professional employment group and so on..

As for your other advice, I have been advised not to do that actually. :)

But I appreciate any input. And yes, things were different back home. But as I wrote in my first post, I am only applying for jobs that I am well qualified for. I do not expect a great job with great pay all at once. New beginnings can be rough anywhere. I would just like it to be a job within healthcare, because that's what Im good at.

Edited by Dine

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

I am a licensed pharmacist in my home country, but as you have said, to get the license here is a long road to go.

I just got a job here so I would like to share my experience, hope it would be helpful for you.

Since I cannot work as a pharmacist here yet, I decided to go for Pharmacy Technician career so I can get my feet in the door while trying to obtain the license here.

From what I read, you are not yet certified or registered even as an assistant/aid.

First of all, you have to check if the requirement of Physical Therapy Assistant is certified and registered with the State, if it is needed, then you will have to get it before going out for the job hunting. It will open a lot more opportunity for you.

After I got my Green Card, I went to take the exam and got certified Pharmacy Tech within a week. Of course I have studied and practiced the exam while I was waiting for my Green Card to get approved.

Then I registered with Texas State Board of Pharmacy. This process took me around 4 weeks.

I was about to send applications while waiting, but all their application forms asked if I am registered and some asked for registered number which I didn't have it yet.

So I waited because I think if I sent them, they will just throw my resume away and it would be problem to re-apply again even after I got registered.

I got my registered number on May 13th. then I started to sent out a lot of applications that I can find on Job Boards online, I sent around 30 apps in 2 days.

2 weeks passed, I haven't got any call/contact back from the jobs that have posted on big Job Boards like Indeed, Monster, Simplyhired or CareerBuilder. NONE.

After I sent all those apps till I couldn't find anymore job to apply, then I tried Craigslist. I found a few there which were not posted on those big Boards. I sent 2 applications on May 16th, I got a call the next day and scheduled the interview on Thursday May 24th. My first interview for Pharmacy Tech!

And that was it! They hired me with the standard rate. I am now waiting for drug screen test result which I am sure I have no problem about it.

My new employer is not a small one, they are just conservative and do not have open position often enough to have recruitment agencies or post on the big job boards out there.

So.. my advice is:

1.Get yourself certified and registered

2.Craigslist is a good source, less competitiveness, less recruiting steps (because most of the jobs there, are posted by employers not agencies). Most likely your emails or phone calls will reach your future boss directly.

3.Believe in yourself and be patient!

I hope this help and good luck! (F) (F) (F)

Edited by Maria TH

Naturalization

04/22/15 (Day 0) N-400 Package sent

08/03/15 Interview - Recommend for Approval

08/18/15 Oath Ceremony

ROC

12/17/2013 (Day 0) ROC Package sent

12/23/2013 (Day 7) NOA date

01/27/14 (Day 43) Biometric Appointment

03/14/14 Case transferred to CSC

05/16/14 New Card Received

AOS from B2
11/14/2011 (Day 0) AOS Package sent (I-130, I-485, I-765)
11/15/2011 (Day 1) Package received by USCIS

12/12/2011 Biometrics Appointment
01/28/2012 (Day 74) EAD Card in hands
02/02/2012 (Day 79) Received letter of Interview Notice
03/02/2012 (Day 108) Interview - Dallas
03/21/2012 (Day 127) Green Card in Hands!

Timeline

I am a licensed pharmacist in my home country, but as you have said, to get the license here is a long road to go.

I just got a job here so I would like to share my experience, hope it would be helpful for you.

Since I cannot work as a pharmacist here yet, I decided to go for Pharmacy Technician career so I can get my feet in the door while trying to obtain the license here.

From what I read, you are not yet certified or registered even as an assistant/aid.

First of all, you have to check if the requirement of Physical Therapy Assistant is certified and registered with the State, if it is needed, then you will have to get it before going out for the job hunting. It will open a lot more opportunity for you.

After I got my Green Card, I went to take the exam and got certified Pharmacy Tech within a week. Of course I have studied and practiced the exam while I was waiting for my Green Card to get approved.

Then I registered with Texas State Board of Pharmacy. This process took me around 4 weeks.

I was about to send applications while waiting, but all their application forms asked if I am registered and some asked for registered number which I didn't have it yet.

So I waited because I think if I sent them, they will just throw my resume away and it would be problem to re-apply again even after I got registered.

I got my registered number on May 13th. then I started to sent out a lot of applications that I can find on Job Boards online, I sent around 30 apps in 2 days.

2 weeks passed, I haven't got any call/contact back from the jobs that have posted on big Job Boards like Indeed, Monster, Simplyhired or CareerBuilder. NONE.

After I sent all those apps till I couldn't find anymore job to apply, then I tried Craigslist. I found a few there which were not posted on those big Boards. I sent 2 applications on May 16th, I got a call the next day and scheduled the interview on Thursday May 24th. My first interview for Pharmacy Tech!

And that was it! They hired me with the standard rate. I am now waiting for drug screen test result which I am sure I have no problem about it.

My new employer is not a small one, they are just conservative and do not have open position often enough to have recruitment agencies or post on the big job boards out there.

So.. my advice is:

1.Get yourself certified and registered

2.Craigslist is a good source, less competitiveness, less recruiting steps (because most of the jobs there, are posted by employers not agencies). Most likely your emails or phone calls will reach your future boss directly.

3.Believe in yourself and be patient!

I hope this help and good luck! (F) (F) (F)

Hi

Congratulations, great to hear you got a job! I cannot work as physical therapy assistant either, because this is a degree of its own and you must be licenced in the state of Missouri as a PTA. It doesn't matter that I am already a PT, I would have to go to school to earn a degree as a PTA. I can however work as PT aide, and I do not need any licence for this.

I have, just like you, tried all the 'big' sites, with no luck thus far. I have also sent my resume to two or three postings on craigslist, but these turned out to be false. I am always looking though, its the first thing I do in the morning, when I wake up :) I have sent my European PT diploma to be verified by a US credentialing commisson, waiting for the results. This will then tell me what I need to do further to obtain a PT liscence in MO.

Thank you for sharing your experience. It is much appreciated. :)

All the best,

Eldina

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Hi

Congratulations, great to hear you got a job! I cannot work as physical therapy assistant either, because this is a degree of its own and you must be licenced in the state of Missouri as a PTA. It doesn't matter that I am already a PT, I would have to go to school to earn a degree as a PTA. I can however work as PT aide, and I do not need any licence for this.

I have, just like you, tried all the 'big' sites, with no luck thus far. I have also sent my resume to two or three postings on craigslist, but these turned out to be false. I am always looking though, its the first thing I do in the morning, when I wake up :) I have sent my European PT diploma to be verified by a US credentialing commisson, waiting for the results. This will then tell me what I need to do further to obtain a PT liscence in MO.

Thank you for sharing your experience. It is much appreciated. :)

All the best,

Eldina

Ohh, so it is different..

Well, so I think the idea to walk in is a good one.

This time of the year also a lot of newly graduated students are in the market.. wish you luck in job hunting. (F) (F)

Naturalization

04/22/15 (Day 0) N-400 Package sent

08/03/15 Interview - Recommend for Approval

08/18/15 Oath Ceremony

ROC

12/17/2013 (Day 0) ROC Package sent

12/23/2013 (Day 7) NOA date

01/27/14 (Day 43) Biometric Appointment

03/14/14 Case transferred to CSC

05/16/14 New Card Received

AOS from B2
11/14/2011 (Day 0) AOS Package sent (I-130, I-485, I-765)
11/15/2011 (Day 1) Package received by USCIS

12/12/2011 Biometrics Appointment
01/28/2012 (Day 74) EAD Card in hands
02/02/2012 (Day 79) Received letter of Interview Notice
03/02/2012 (Day 108) Interview - Dallas
03/21/2012 (Day 127) Green Card in Hands!

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Cyprus
Timeline
Spoiler

I-129F Sent : 3-31-2014, NOA2: 4-6-2014

NVC Received : some dinkelsberry yehoo in the house of clingons send our petition to the wrong consulate.

Consulate Received : July 30,2014 Transfer to right embassy complete.

Interview Date : Oct 22, 2014

Interview Result : AP , requesting another PC (not expired) and certified divorce decree (was submitted)Stokes interview via phone for petitioner 4 hrs after interview.

Oct 23 email notification visa approved.
Visa Received : Nov. 3 , 2014 VISA IN HAND.

US Entry : Nov. 21, 2014

Marriage : Dec 27, 2014

AOS send : May 12, 2015, received May 14, 2015 USPS priority

Email &text : May 18, 2015, check cashed May 19,2015, return receipt May 21, 2015 stamped USCIS Lockbox, NOA1 (3x) May 22,2015

Biometrics : June 1, 2015 letter received for appointment June 8, 2015, successful walk-in June 1, 2015

RFE : June 12, 2015 for income not meeting guideline. Income does ( ! ) exceed guideline.

RFE response : June 26, 2015 returned with a boat load full of financial evidence.

UPDATE: July 5, 2015 updated on all 3 cases, RFE received June 30, 2015.

Service request : Aug 12, 2015, letter received that it will be processed within 90 days from receipt of RFE.

UPDATE: Aug 24, 2015, EAD card being produced/ordered. ( 102 days from AOS receipt day and 55 days from RFE response received.) Thank you Jesus !

Emails : Aug 24, 2015, EAD approved, EAD card ordered.

I-797 EAD/AP approval notice received : Aug 27, 2015

EAD/AP combo card mailed : Aug 27, 2015, EAD/AP combo card received: Aug 31, 2015

Renewal application send for EAD/AP : May 31,2016 (AOS pending over 1 year). Received June 2, 2016,Notice date June7, 2016, emails,texts, NOA1 hard copy

Service request for pending AOS April 21, 2016, case not assigned yet.
Service request for pending AOS June 14, 2016, tier 2 said performing background checks.
Expedite request for EAD/AP Aug 3, 2016, Aug10 notification >request was received, assigned, completed. RFE letter requesting evidence for expedite, docs faxed Aug18

*Service request for I-485 Aug 3, 2016, Aug11 notification> request was assigned. Service request Dec 2, 2016.
AOS Interview letter received Aug 12, 2016

AOS Interview September 21, 2016.

Second Biometrics appointment letters received for EAD and AOS on Aug 15, 2016 for Aug 17 ( 2 day notice).

Second Biometrics completed Aug 17, 2016

Third Biometrics appointment letter received Aug 19, 2016 for Sept. 1, 2016. WTH ?!

EAD/AP (renewal) approval Aug 22, 2016, NOA2 received Aug 25, 2016

Renewal EAD in production notification text and online, expedite successful 4 days after RFE request response was faxed, Aug25mailed,Aug29received.

Sept. 21 Interview, 2 hour interview, we were separated and asked about 50 questions each for an hour each. IO was firm but professional, some smiles.
Several service requests made, contacted Senator and Ombudsman. Background checks still pending.
July 21, 2017 HOME VISIT.  Went well. Topic thread in AOS forum.
Waiting to skip ROC and get 10 yr GC due to over 2 year while pending AOS
AOS APPROVED Oct. 4, 2017 * Green card in hand Oct 13, 2017 !!!!!

First K1 denied after 16 month of AP. Refiled. We are a couple since 2009. Not a sprint but a matter of endurance.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

As for your other advice, I have been advised not to do that actually. :)

Interesting. The 3rd shift nursing crew knows all, and knows everybody.

The BEST way to get them to open up, and TALK to you,

is to feed them.

Sorry, yer still not getting it.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Timeline

http://www.indeed.com/q-Physical-Therapy-Assistant-l-Belleville,-IL-jobs.html

http://payscale-jobs.jobamatic.com/a/jobs/find-jobs/q-Physical+Therapy+Assistant/l-Belleville,+IL

Openings in STL and the metro east.

[/quo

As I mentioned earlier I cannot work as a PTA. This is a seperate degree. But thank you for the input! :)

Hopefully something will come along soon..

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Cyprus
Timeline

Noted, but you can enter any position into the search bar for STL and metro east.

Spoiler

I-129F Sent : 3-31-2014, NOA2: 4-6-2014

NVC Received : some dinkelsberry yehoo in the house of clingons send our petition to the wrong consulate.

Consulate Received : July 30,2014 Transfer to right embassy complete.

Interview Date : Oct 22, 2014

Interview Result : AP , requesting another PC (not expired) and certified divorce decree (was submitted)Stokes interview via phone for petitioner 4 hrs after interview.

Oct 23 email notification visa approved.
Visa Received : Nov. 3 , 2014 VISA IN HAND.

US Entry : Nov. 21, 2014

Marriage : Dec 27, 2014

AOS send : May 12, 2015, received May 14, 2015 USPS priority

Email &text : May 18, 2015, check cashed May 19,2015, return receipt May 21, 2015 stamped USCIS Lockbox, NOA1 (3x) May 22,2015

Biometrics : June 1, 2015 letter received for appointment June 8, 2015, successful walk-in June 1, 2015

RFE : June 12, 2015 for income not meeting guideline. Income does ( ! ) exceed guideline.

RFE response : June 26, 2015 returned with a boat load full of financial evidence.

UPDATE: July 5, 2015 updated on all 3 cases, RFE received June 30, 2015.

Service request : Aug 12, 2015, letter received that it will be processed within 90 days from receipt of RFE.

UPDATE: Aug 24, 2015, EAD card being produced/ordered. ( 102 days from AOS receipt day and 55 days from RFE response received.) Thank you Jesus !

Emails : Aug 24, 2015, EAD approved, EAD card ordered.

I-797 EAD/AP approval notice received : Aug 27, 2015

EAD/AP combo card mailed : Aug 27, 2015, EAD/AP combo card received: Aug 31, 2015

Renewal application send for EAD/AP : May 31,2016 (AOS pending over 1 year). Received June 2, 2016,Notice date June7, 2016, emails,texts, NOA1 hard copy

Service request for pending AOS April 21, 2016, case not assigned yet.
Service request for pending AOS June 14, 2016, tier 2 said performing background checks.
Expedite request for EAD/AP Aug 3, 2016, Aug10 notification >request was received, assigned, completed. RFE letter requesting evidence for expedite, docs faxed Aug18

*Service request for I-485 Aug 3, 2016, Aug11 notification> request was assigned. Service request Dec 2, 2016.
AOS Interview letter received Aug 12, 2016

AOS Interview September 21, 2016.

Second Biometrics appointment letters received for EAD and AOS on Aug 15, 2016 for Aug 17 ( 2 day notice).

Second Biometrics completed Aug 17, 2016

Third Biometrics appointment letter received Aug 19, 2016 for Sept. 1, 2016. WTH ?!

EAD/AP (renewal) approval Aug 22, 2016, NOA2 received Aug 25, 2016

Renewal EAD in production notification text and online, expedite successful 4 days after RFE request response was faxed, Aug25mailed,Aug29received.

Sept. 21 Interview, 2 hour interview, we were separated and asked about 50 questions each for an hour each. IO was firm but professional, some smiles.
Several service requests made, contacted Senator and Ombudsman. Background checks still pending.
July 21, 2017 HOME VISIT.  Went well. Topic thread in AOS forum.
Waiting to skip ROC and get 10 yr GC due to over 2 year while pending AOS
AOS APPROVED Oct. 4, 2017 * Green card in hand Oct 13, 2017 !!!!!

First K1 denied after 16 month of AP. Refiled. We are a couple since 2009. Not a sprint but a matter of endurance.

then that would be a no. You not walk around. 'applying online' won't work for you.

you should walk in, on the third shift, talk with folk in the nursing stations, and inquire. The third shift folksen usually have been there forever, know everybody, and can tell you who to talk to..

if'n yer nice to them

and if'n you bring sandwiches (no, i'm not kidding)

Because that's not bizarre at all. A random stranger walking in off the street and handing you some sandwiches in exchange for information on employment. :lol:

Edited by Evylin

Oh good god.

First off, "third shift" in an acute care setting happens but is not routine. The majority of staff work either days or nights.

I don't know why darnell is being such a moron but I'm pretty certain that anyone who has ever set foot in a hospital knows that night shift is populated by on-call residents and new nurses.

You know who I never see as a night nurse? My nurse manager. You know who hires folks? My nurse manager. (You know who actually works day hours? PT/OT and all their assistants.)

we met: 07-22-01

engaged: 08-03-06

I-129 sent: 01-07-07

NOA2 approved: 04-02-07

packet 3 sent: 05-31-07

interview date: 06-25-07 - approved!

marriage: 07-23-07

AOS sent: 08-10-07

AOS/EAD/AP NOA1: 09-14-07

AOS approved: 11-19-07

green card received: 11-26-07

lifting of conditions filed: 10-29-09

NOA received: 11-09-09

lifting of conditions approved: 12-11-09

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.