Sparkbat

Successful AOS interview in San Francisco

7 posts in this topic

Hey all,

My headache is officially over as of this morning. Here is my story, hope it helps someone.

Some brief background info:

I'm changing from an F1 visa and I'm now 1/2 way through an MBA. The wife and I did a "quickie" wedding at the local city hall. With our family and friends scattered in Boston and Oz we wanted to get the ball rolling and do the "proper" stuff later when the time is right and we can arrange/afford it.

Stuff I took to the interview:

• The appointment letter
  • Both our passports and copies
  • Both our original birth certificates and copies
  • I-94 and I-20 originals and copies
  • Marriage cert original and copy
  • EAD card (also made a copy of this, expecting it to be taken)
  • SSN info (the temp card I got soon after the EAD arrived)
  • I-693 (the 2nd, unsealed copy I got from the Dr)
  • A verizon bill with both our phone numbers
  • Copies of our apartment lease (with both names)
  • Two postcards addressed to us, one from my sister, one from her mum, and a copy of them
  • 3 color printed pages with pics (with captions)of us in 6 different countries we've traveled to together with the corresponding passport page entry stamps next to them (including a pic of her with my family in Oz and me with her mum in Boston)
  • A printed page with 2 pics from our quickie wedding (with just us!)
  • A printed copy of our 50 something facebook mutual friends

We had a 9:45am appointment on a Wednesday. We found a parking garage about 3 blocks away easily enough.

Got there at 9:20. There was a line outside with about 8 people in front of us. Our appointment letter and drivers licenses were checked twice and bags scanned on entry. Inside the lobby by 9:25 and made our way up to the second floor reception. It was a huge open room with people waiting in various parts of it. The reception line was quite short. The guy looked at our appointment letter and licenses and directed us up to the 3rd floor. Got up there by 9:30.

The third floor is just a large waiting room with a couple of TV's and a bunch of doors for staff only all around. There were about 15 people waiting there. We were called up at 10am by a middle aged lady named "Ms Chen". We followed her through some corridors to her office and before sitting down raised our right hands and swore not to lie.

She started by asking for my passport (including the I-94) and birth certificate and my wife's "proof of citizenship" (her passport). From this point for the first few minutes she basically just went through her form asking questions to check things on her sheet. My: DOB, Dad's name, Mum's name, current address, who do you live with?, phone number, what date did I last enter the U.S?("some time mid-last year, maybe early August"), are you still at this University?, do you have an SSN? She also ran through a bunch of "have you ever been arrested" or "applied for residency before" yes or no type questions (all nos!!) She asked my wife a couple of similarly administrative questions including her DOB. She also asked for our marriage certificate.

Some less "checking the form" questions were:

Where/when did you meet? ("At a bar, 3 years ago"). And you've been together since? ("Yep")

Have you traveled together? ("Yes, a lot"), What was your favorite country? What did you do there?

Did you have a big wedding? ("No, just us") We explained we wanted to get it done and do something with the families in Oz/Boston when we can.

Any shared accounts or insurances? ("No, not really....haven't done the joint bank thing yet, we've got a shared apartment lease, I tried to get on her car insurance but it would have been ridiculously expensive and they made us sign something saying I wouldn't drive her car..". (she thought that was very entertaining and didn't ask to see any joint documents).

Do you have any pictures? I gave her my 3 pages of different country pics with corresponding passport pages and the two wedding pics. She seemed very impressed by that and asked to keep them.

(To my wife) Do you have your 2 most recent pay stubs and a letter from your employer? ("No, they were in the package, so we didn't bring copies"). This seemed OK with her. She had the whole package in front of her but I guess it was a pain sifting through it all.

Do you have your 2011 tax return? Unfortunately (as we were both on it) we couldn't find it and didn't bring it, but offered a bank receipt of the tax return deposit with both our names on it. She said she didn't need it and it was fine.

At the end she got me to sign her form, showing where she'd made some changes (10 changes in total, nothing major) and told us it was approved and to expect the green card within a month. She gave me a single page form with the "interview results" and how to follow up if I haven't received it in 45 days.

All in all it was a very pleasant and efficient experience. The interviewing lady enjoyed a bit of light-hearted banter in response to some of her questions and didn't seem troubled by any of the missing documentation. She also didn't really seem to be probing, looking to "catch us out" at all with silly questions like "why don't you have rings?". We didn't really expand on our answers unnecessarily and only offered documents when they were asked for and she was fine with that. She didn't ask for my EAD card at all. The interview lasted less than 15 minutes.

That's it.

If anyone has any follow-up questions I'd be happy to answer them. This forum has been fantastic for me, so thank you all.

Cheers.

Background
Aug 05 2011 - Entered on an F1
Dec 23 2011 - Married, Oakland CA

AOS Filing
(Day 00) Feb 06 2012 - Posted 130,485 & 765 package to Chicago (regular mail)
(Day 10) Feb 16 - Received 130, 485 NOA (Dated Feb 10)
(Day 17) Feb 23 - Received 765 NOA (Dated Feb 15)
(Day 39) Mar 16 - Received Biometrics Letters (Dated Mar 12). First appt date: Apr 3.
(Day 57) Apr 03 - Biometrics done, Oakland CA. Got EAD card printing email.
(Day 65) Apr 11 - Received EAD card
(Day 66) Apr 12 - Applied for SSN
(Day 70) Apr 16 - Received SSN and Interview Notice (May 16)
(Day 100) May 16 - Successful interview in SF! Told to expect the GC within a month
(Day 108) May 24 - GC arrived!

ROC Filing

(Day 00) May 09 2014 - Sent I-751 to CSC priority mail

(Day 05) May 14 - Check cashed

(Day 06) May 15 - Received NOA (dated May 12)

(Day 59) July 07 - Approval letter arrived (dated July 1)

(Day 61) July 09 - Card arrived...good till 2024!!!

Congratulations to you. Awesome review!

3/21/2012 (Day 0) - I-130, I-485 and I-765 sent.

3/23/2012 (Day 1) - Delivered to USCIS.

3/27/2012 (Day 5) - E-Notification that paperwork received.

3/28/2012 (Day 6) - One check for $1,490 cashed & cleared for I-130 and I-485.

4/02/2012 (Day 11) - NOA hard copies received (x3), case status available online & bio appt. also received, dated 04/12 @ 8:00 AM.

4/10/2012 (Day 19) - Case status online says changed to RFE received.

4/12/2012 (Day 21) - Successful biometric done.

5/11/2012 (Day 50) - Complete RFE (I-864) received. Case status online changed to RFE received.

5/16/2012 (Day 55) - Online case status says: Card/ Document Production.

5/21/2012 (Day 60) - Online case status says: Card picked up by USPS.

5/24/2012 (Day 63) - EAD card in hand.

6/12/2012 (Day 82) - Testing and Interview.

7/12/2012 (Day 112) - Interview date!

7/12/2012 (Day 112) - Approved.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Congrats!

This seems in keeping with the majority of the interview experiences posted by folks here.

Hopefully these kind of great reviews will help to dispel some of the stresses and fears that overwhelm folks going through this process.

Thanks for posting it! :thumbs:

July 2005 - met my awesome, hot, amazing love in Lousiana.
July 2006 - Married said love and moved to Canada.
June 2011 - Entered US to visit family, decided to stay.
Feb. 2012 - Sent paperwork to Chicago.

May 2012 - Received green card.

Day 0 - Package sent to Chicago Lockbox - 02/27/2012
Day 2 - UPS Tracking Confirmation - 02/29/2012
Day 4 - NOA Emails Received - 03/02/2012
Day 7 - All Checks Cashed - 03/05/2012
Day 11 - Hard Copy NOA's Received - 03/09/2012
Day 11 - Biometrics Appointment Received - 03/09/2012
--------- - Booked for - 04/03/2012 (day 36)
Day 35 - Early Biometricts Walk-in - 04/02/2012
Day 44 - Received Appointment Letter - 04/11/2012
Day 58 - EAD Approval Online - 04/25/2012
Day 63 - EAD in the mail - 04/30/2012
Day 65 - EAD in hand - 05/02/2012
Day 77 - AOS Interview - 05/14/2012
Day 77 - AOS Approved!
Day 84 - Green Card In Hand - 05/21/2012

Congrats! Thank you for posting it, so many details!

3/23/2012 (Day 0) - I-130, I-485 and I-765 sent
4/02/2012 (Day 11) - Hard Copy of NOA1 in the mail of I-130, I-485 and I-765
4/04/2012 (Day 13) - Received a letter for biometrics appointment for 4/20/2012.
4/20/2012 (Day 29) - Biometrics done
5/03/2012 (Day 42) - Status online changed to interview, scheduled for June 11
5/16/2012 (Day 55) - EAD Card Production, online status update
5/24/2012 (Day 63) - EAD Card in the mail
6/11/2012 (Day 83) - Interview, approved on the spot

05/19/2014 (Day 0) - Mailed I-751

05/27/2014 (Day 8) - Received NOA1

• 4 weeks later...
Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

ConGraTuLaTions :):dance::star:

Sent I-129 Application to VSC 2/1/12
NOA1 2/8/12
RFE 8/2/12
RFE reply 8/3/12
NOA2 8/16/12
NVC received 8/27/12
NVC left 8/29/12
Manila Embassy received 9/5/12
Visa appointment & approval 9/7/12
Arrived in US 10/5/2012
Married 11/24/2012
AOS application sent 12/19/12

AOS approved 8/24/13

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.