Dennis & Jean

this so bs this so so bad! ao upset what is going on

43 posts in this topic

The law applies to those under age 25. Its a national law, and no doubt is stricter or less strict depending on the location that is enforcing it. It is supposed to be obtained before a marriage license is given.

Yeah, I know it is national law. That is why I say it is confusing. It doesn't state "under age 25". It states "between 21 and 25" which is also an overlap with the "between 18 and 21" parental consent. Even the US DOT website contradicts itself with the embassy website. One says 24 and the other says 25. There's the confusion. I'd like to know of anyone age 25 that went through CFO without it successfully.

Edited by ToddnJessa

Our K-1 and AOS Journey

05/12-05/22/10-met my sweetheart and family(had lots of fun!)
12/13-12/26/11-met again for engagement/Christmas
04/10/12-I-129F petition sent
04/13/12-USPS delivery confirmation
04/18/12-NOA1 text/email
04/21/12-NOA1(receipt 04/17/12)
10/10/12-NOA2 text
10/15/12-NOA2 letter received
10/27/12-NVC letter received
11/28/12-Medical Exam-PASSED
12/07/12-K-1 Interview-APPROVED

02/12/13-POE-Atlanta
03/04/13-Wedding
03/27/13-AOS,EAD,AP delivered
04/03/13-NOAs text/email
04/08/13-NOAs received
04/26/13-Biometrics appointment(walk-in done 04/17)

06/03/13-EAD card production/AP post decision approval

06/10/13-EAD/AP combo card received

04/04/14-AOS card production/decision

04/11/14-NOA2 welcome to the USA

04/12/14-Received GC

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

It was just frustrating for me because it was the only step in the process I was not involved in. They told her horror stories of women being abused and incorrect information about america that seems like it was from 1960's america. The packet looked like it had been photo copied a million times.

Petty Tyrants.

They get joy out of scaring people and forcing them to grovel at their feet in order to get their precious sticker. That's why the seminar is about the horrible things in the USA they are rescuing you from: it's about justifying themselves. We are expected to grovel and express wonder in their brilliance, their graciousness to give us lowly serfs their blessing.

Mine called me on a cell phone to ask my Mother's Maiden name. She was 20 when her visa was approved. She had no signed statement from her parents. She did her seminar in Manila in 2009.

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Cebu is the strictest, if she is 18 to 21 she will need parental consent, 21 to 25 she will need parental advice, just have a lawyer make a affidavit, also include permission to travel abroad and leave the Philippines on the same affidavit. Both parents must sign, and have 2 witnesses. Just did this in Cebu last month, because she did not have a affidavit, caused another trip to Cebu. When the CFO had the affidavit, then they issued the CFO cert.

That is strange. The Website for the CFO where it explains about the seminar and whether or not to use PRISM for Manila or SMEF-COW for Manila or Cebu, there was nothing listed about needing any consent. I looked through all the laws section. www.cfo.gov.ph

Requirements for Registration

1.Original and photocopy of Passport;

2.Original and photocopy of visa;

3.Original and photocopy of Immigrant Data Summary for US bound/ Confirmation of Permanent Residence for Canada bound/ Certification of Eligibility (for Japan-bound);

4.Original CFO guidance and counseling certificate;

5.Duly completed emigrant registration form; and

6.Payment of the authorized registration fee.

Requirements for Attendance to Guidance and Counseling Program

1.Two (2) valid identification cards (IDs) with photograph;

2.Duly completed guidance and counseling form;

3.If married, certified true copy and photocopy of marriage contract on security paper from the National Statistics Office, or Local Civil Registry Offices; or original and photocopy of marriage contract duly authenticated by the Philippine Embassy/ Consulate (if married abroad)

4.Other documents as may be required by the counselors; and

5.Payment of P250.00 counseling fee.

If the other documents 'as may be required', is the category this affidavit falls under, YTF doesn't it say this is needed? Seriously, is it just a thing where word of mouth makes it official but no where does it say its required?

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

That is strange. The Website for the CFO where it explains about the seminar and whether or not to use PRISM for Manila or SMEF-COW for Manila or Cebu, there was nothing listed about needing any consent. I looked through all the laws section. www.cfo.gov.ph

3.Original and photocopy of Immigrant Data Summary for US bound/ Confirmation of Permanent Residence for Canada bound/ Certification of Eligibility (for Japan-bound);

3.If married, certified true copy and photocopy of marriage contract on security paper from the National Statistics Office, or Local Civil Registry Offices; or original and photocopy of marriage contract duly authenticated by the Philippine Embassy/ Consulate (if married abroad)

If the other documents 'as may be required', is the category this affidavit falls under, YTF doesn't it say this is needed? Seriously, is it just a thing where word of mouth makes it official but no where does it say its required?

super agree!!!!

370418_1562884728_2125458315_q.jpg

Here is what other documents can be, they may ask for this, at Cebu they probably will ask for this: Yeah they are required, if you can't provide them when asked then no certificate until you do provide them.

1. Original and Photocopy of Birth Certificate (From NSO or CTC from Local Civil Registrar duly authenticated by NSO).

2. Photocopy of Birth Certificate of Husband/Fiancee.

3. Photocopy of Passport of Husband/Fiancee.

4. Photocopy of a Divorce Decree of husband, if he is divorced.

5. Photocopy of Proof of Singleness of Fiancee {CENOMAR).

6. Photocopy or copy of picture together (you and your husband/fiancee.

7. If under 23 years of age a notarized/certified letter from parents giving permission to leave the Philippines, even if married in the Philippines.

8. If a fiancee is 18 to 21 a parental consent affidavit and letter from parents giving permission to leave the Philippines.

9. If a fiancee is 22 to 25 a parental advise affidavit and if under 23 a letter from parents giving permission to leave the Philippines.

Also you need to know about your husband/fiancee complete name, birthday, address, mother's family name, how many times he/she got married/divorced (reason of divorced), how many children he had (if there is any), kind of work/job/salary, address of workplace, husband/fiance's educational attainment, course, when, where and how did you met, etc. Be sure to be able to text husband/fiancee for other information they may ask.

If at all possible I would avoid going to the CFO in Cebu, the only way I would go to Cebu if my wife/fiancee lived in Cebu.

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Here is what other documents can be, they may ask for this, at Cebu they probably will ask for this: Yeah they are required, if you can't provide them when asked then no certificate until you do provide them.

1. Original and Photocopy of Birth Certificate (From NSO or CTC from Local Civil Registrar duly authenticated by NSO).

7. If under 23 years of age a notarized/certified letter from parents giving permission to leave the Philippines, even if married in the Philippines.

8. If a fiancee is 18 to 21 a parental consent affidavit and letter from parents giving permission to leave the Philippines.

9. If a fiancee is 22 to 25 a parental advise affidavit and if under 23 a letter from parents giving permission to leave the Philippines.

Also you need to know about your husband/fiancee complete name, birthday, address, mother's family name, how many times he/she got married/divorced (reason of divorced), how many children he had (if there is any), kind of work/job/salary, address of workplace, husband/fiance's educational attainment, course, when, where and how did you met, etc. Be sure to be able to text husband/fiancee for other information they may ask.

If at all possible I would avoid going to the CFO in Cebu, the only way I would go to Cebu if my wife/fiancee lived in Cebu.

Where does it say this??? The closest I found was the Philippine-Korean embassy site under Consular Services Section IX. Im actually the petitioner and I'm waiting to go back to Cebu once the visa is in hand. LOL. And yes, my fiance lives in Cebu. She has to go back to cebu to wait for her passport to be mailed back with the K1 inside.

Where does it say this??? The closest I found was the Philippine-Korean embassy site under Consular Services Section IX. Im actually the petitioner and I'm waiting to go back to Cebu once the visa is in hand. LOL. And yes, my fiance lives in Cebu. She has to go back to cebu to wait for her passport to be mailed back with the K1 inside.

It don't say this- it just says. "Other documents as may be required by the counselors", Because my wife just went to the CFO in Cebu last month, I telling you what other documents are, and what the counselors may ask for. We had all the other documents except a letter from her parents giving their permission for her to leave the Philippines she is 21 years old and we are married. Not having that letter caused a trip back to Leyte to get the letter, then back to Cebu to deliver to the CFO and then pick up the certificate. You know it's a 3 hour bus ride to the boat, then a 4 hour boat ride from Leyte to Cebu and back again. You know something else? The CO's at the CFO don't care, they want their "other documents"!

Just trying to help you avoid some of the trouble we had at the CFO in Cebu. I'm sure others will tell you the same thing... watch out for "other documents as may be required by the counselors"!

:thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: Many others confirm this as well.

Edited by ToddnJessa

Our K-1 and AOS Journey

05/12-05/22/10-met my sweetheart and family(had lots of fun!)
12/13-12/26/11-met again for engagement/Christmas
04/10/12-I-129F petition sent
04/13/12-USPS delivery confirmation
04/18/12-NOA1 text/email
04/21/12-NOA1(receipt 04/17/12)
10/10/12-NOA2 text
10/15/12-NOA2 letter received
10/27/12-NVC letter received
11/28/12-Medical Exam-PASSED
12/07/12-K-1 Interview-APPROVED

02/12/13-POE-Atlanta
03/04/13-Wedding
03/27/13-AOS,EAD,AP delivered
04/03/13-NOAs text/email
04/08/13-NOAs received
04/26/13-Biometrics appointment(walk-in done 04/17)

06/03/13-EAD card production/AP post decision approval

06/10/13-EAD/AP combo card received

04/04/14-AOS card production/decision

04/11/14-NOA2 welcome to the USA

04/12/14-Received GC

Timeline

This is Filipinas law. As such. the CFO is mandated by the Presidential act. The CFO website does not mention this requirement as ALL Filipinos should KNOW this requirement. I studied this long and hard, and read it about several times about the "changes" in counselors on the CFO and the possible need of parent of Guardian (which seems to happen often) being in attendance at the CFO. Sometimes the letter is accepted, but must be handwritten and notarized in the parents handwriting.

I took my wife's paarents to Manila, We went to the CFO at St. Mary's -- good Shepherd Convent. My wife's parents wrote a handwritten note of consent in their own writing, then signed in front of the Counselor. (I waited outside during all of this.) Then I was called in, and interrogated. (If you go, wait patiently outside until called.) It was worse for me then the US Embassy interview. WAY WAT WAY Worse. Before getting the aproval, I HAD to promise to the nuns, the parents, and to my wife, I would take care of her. In the Philippines, your word is contract. (I felt like we had been married right then and suddenly had some angelic nun watching over me every second of the day with a ruler to slap my knuckles. ) We took everything we had taken to the Embassy, minus 3 photo albums, just a few dozen pictures. When you are under 25, or under 21, you never know what can happen. Because of my wife's and I age difference, I expected many problems. when they saw me, they let up because I look very young, but the nuns still had in their mind to read me the "riot" act. (oh how I love nuns.)

Just be ready for anything.... the CFO is the WORST part of the process. Cheapest in price, but they make sure you know you are married to a member of the Filipinas nation. on the CFO EXPECT the worst... then hope for the best.

K-1 Visa Timeline:

02/11/2011 - Engaged at her house by her Godmother.

02/18/2011 - Engagement party with relatives - propose in Visayan.

02/24/2011 - K-1 packet sent.

09/18/2011 - POE, Viva Las Vegas, Baby !!!!! Home to Phoenix.

12/10/2011 - Official Wedding

07/05/2012 - Princess Rose born.

07/07/2012 - AP/EAD received.

07/17/2012 - AOS passed. (Birthday for Mama Rayos)

event.png

event.png

event.png

Timeline

you should also note, Filipinas has outlawed marriage broker web sites. Cheeryblossom, and Filipinacupid are just at the edge of the "legal terms" in matchmaking for the country. As such, Filipinas does not fall directly under the IMBRA laws. By outlawing marriage broker web sites, and enacting its own CFO policy, they have done what they can to protect their own people. Filipinas are extremely loyal and faithful. but there are always a "few" rotten apples like anywhere else. 90% of marriages to Filipinas last. (one of the highest percentages in the world.) But always be careful and take your time. Make sure you know each other. and study her culture and nation. The rules and laws are surprising. It is mainly a catholic nation. There is no divorce in the nation (annulment yes) but not divorce.

K-1 Visa Timeline:

event.png

event.png

event.png

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

:thumbs:

Plus PRISM wanted copies of USC, petitioner, passport bio page, birth certificate and divorce decree (if have been divorced)

My Fiancee had zero issue with PRISM, but they did do the scare stories and sell the extremely dated handbook, what a waste of 150 pesos.

(hmmm, my count down is a day slow.. might as well delete it WE are home!! )

Edited by Hank_Amy

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

you should also note, Filipinas has outlawed marriage broker web sites. Cheeryblossom, and Filipinacupid are just at the edge of the "legal terms" in matchmaking for the country. As such, Filipinas does not fall directly under the IMBRA laws.

This is a little off topic but IMBRA is a US law.

International Marriage Broker Regulation Act

It has no teeth in reqards to how you meet.

separately, this is the Philippines law

Republic Act No 6955AN ACT TO DECLARE UNLAWFUL THE PRACTICE OF MATCHING FILIPINO WOMEN FOR MARRIAGE TO FOREIGN NATIONALS ON A MAIL ORDER BASIS AND OTHER SIMILAR PRACTICES INCLUDING THE ADVERTISEMENT, PUBLICATION, PRINTING OR DISTRIBUTION OF BROCHURES, FLIERS AND OTHER PROPAGANDA MATERIALS IN FURTHURANCE THEREOF AND PROVIDING PENALTY THEREFORE

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the Philippine in Congress assembled:

SECTION 1.It is the policy of the state to ensure and guarantee the enjoyment of the people of a decent standard of living. Towards this end the State shall take measures to protect Filipino women from being exploited in utter disregard of human dignity in their pursuit of economic upliftment.

SEC 2. Pursuant thereto it hereby declared unlawful:

(a) For a person natural or juridical, association, club or any other entity to commit directly or indirectly any of the following acts:

(1) To establish or carry on a business which has for its purpose the matching of Filipino women for marriage to foreign nationals either on a mail order basis or personal introduction;

(2) To advertise, publish, print or distribute or cause the advertisement, publication, printing or distribution of any brochure, flier or any propaganda material calculated to promote the prohibited acts in the preceding sub paragraph:

(3) To solicit, enlist or in any manner attract or introduce any Filipino woman to become a member in any club or association whose objective is to match women for marriage to foreign nationals either on a mail order basis or through personal introduction for a fee

(4) A To use the postal service to promote the prohibited acts in subparagraph 1 hereof.

(b) For the manager or officer in charge or advertising manager or any newspaper, magazine, television or radio station, or other media, or of an advertising agency, printing company or other similar entities to knowingly allow, or consent to the acts prohibited in the preceding paragraph.

SEC 3In case of violation of this Act by an association, club, partnership, corporation or any other entity, the incumbent officers thereof or have knowingly participated in the violation of this Act shall be held liable.

SEC 4Any person found guilty by the court to have violated any of the acts herein prohibited shall suffer an imprisonment of not less than six (6) years and one (1) day but not more than an eight (8) years and a fine of not less than Eight thousand pesos (P8000) but not more than Twenty thousand pesos (20000): Provided that if the offender is a foreigner, he shall immediately be deported and barred forever from entering the country after serving his sentence and payment of fine.

SEC 5Nothing in this act shall be interpreted as a restriction on the freedom of speech and of association for purposes not contrary to law as guaranteed by the Constitution.

SEC 6All laws decree the orders instructions, rules and regulations, or parts thereof inconsistent with this Act are thereby repealed or modified accordingly.

SEC 7This Act shall take effect upon its publication for two (2) consecutive weeks in a newspaper of general circulation.

Approved June 13 1990.

This seems to provide penalties only for those running the business, not those using the service

Timeline

right. The CFO came out of the IMBRA law, and the Republic Act No 6955 mainly from the passport act of 1996. We can argue semantics all day on the CFO policy.

the main thing of the CFO is to shake the foundational beliefs of those going overseas. To try and take the stars out of their eyes, and realize what is going on according to their view. The idea is to get the "romantic" idea of living better or doing better out of their minds. It may work on some, but I imagine most are already thinking of going and have the dreams in their heads...It may change a few minds. The best thing about the CFO is the part of being there for their people in other countries.

when my wife's dad accepted me as part of the family. I never fully understood what that meant until I got there. I fully realized it at the CFO. I don't like the CFO, however, I applaud what it is for. It was rough, it was necessary. It is over. once you are done with it, you can move on. It is just another hurdle in many hurdles. I always favor the CFO BEFORE the embassy BECAUSE it prepares the person for the Embassy interview. (makes the embassy look tame.)

K-1 Visa Timeline:

event.png

event.png

event.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.