Vicky and Larry

Transition Issues

130 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

I have just started the k1 process and have found this thread somewhat helpful. Things to expect, things to prepare for. Vicky and others thank you for your candid posts, it hasn't scared me. Its helped.

I recently spent a month in Hawaii with my fiance, hes based there for now (military), and he had to work every day, he was up at 4am and not home till 6pm at the earliest, one day he even worked a 24 hour shift. While we were both a little sad that he couldn't take any time off, I'm actually grateful, more so after reading this, as it gave me a taste of what life would be like. He had recently bought a new car so kept the old one for me to drive, it took me a few days but I learned to get around. By the end of my month I was driving to more than one destination in a trip. ha. Before that I would go where I needed to go, and then come back to the house so I wouldn't get lost.

My fiance has other buddies in his unit and previous unit with foreign wives, hes been talking to them about transition aswell.

Like you Vicky, I'll be moving in to the house that my fiance bought with his ex-wife. Hes been getting rid of the last bits of furniture they bought together that she left behind, so we can start buying our own. We've already bought 2 things together, and he wants to wait till I'm there to do the rest. Which is nice, and will help. We will be moving back to the mainland next year sometime, so we get to start again on a house to call ours.

Your husband sounds like hes working hard to figure out ways to support you. Hes learning about this as he goes, just as much as you are and sounds like a good man who loves you.

I look forward to continue reading both yours and others experiences, highs and lows.

Thank you.

N400

08 Mar 20: N400 filed online

14 Mar 20: Biometrics scheduled for 31 March - cancelled due to Covid19 shutdown.  

16 Dec 20: Biometrics

12 Feb 21: Interview (approved)

24 Feb 21: Oath Ceremony

ROC

31 Jul 15: ROC (I-751) sent

19 Jan 16: Greencard received

AOS

26 Feb 13: AOS (I-485, I-131, I-765) sent

06 Mar 13: NOA1's received

03 Apr 13: Biometrics completed

12 Sept 13: Interview - Memphis, approved!

Sept 13: Greencard received.

California Service Centre

17 May 12: I-129f sent

23 May 12: NOA1

20 Aug 12: NOA2 (89 days)

20 Nov 12: Interview in Sydney

29 Nov 12: Visa Issued

05 Dec 12: POE Honolulu

20 Dec 12: Wedding day

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

***** Several off topic posts and personal attacks removed. Let's get back on topic please, and stay civil to one another. ***

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Romania
Timeline

Well, that's depressing, talk about a threat that is mirroring all my concerns.

USCIS [*] 22 Nov. 2011 - I-129 package sent; [*] 25 Nov. 2011 - Package delivered; [*] 25 Nov. 2011 - NOA1/petition received and routed to the California Service Center; [*] 30 Nov. 2011 - Touched/confirmation though text message and email; [*] 03 Dec. 2011 - Hard copy received; [*]24 April 2012 - NOA2 (no RFEs)/text message/email/USCIS account updated; [*] 27 April 2012 - NOA2 hard copy received.

NVC [*] 14 May 2012 - Petition received by NVC ; [*] 16 May 2012 - Petition left NVC.

EMBASSY [*] 18 May 2012 - Petition arrived at the US Embassy in Bucharest; [*] 22 May 2012 - Package 3 received; [*] 24 May 2012 - Package sent to the consulate, interview date set; [*] 14 June 2012 - Interview date, approved.

POE [*] 04 July 2012 - Minneapolis/St.Paul. [*] 16 September 2012 - Wedding Day!

AOS/EAD/AP [*] 04 February 2013 - AOS/EAD/AP package sent; [*] 07 February 2013 - AOS/EAD/AP package delivered; [*] 12 February 2013 - NOA1 text messages/emails; [*] 16 February 2013 - NOA1 received in the regular mail; [*] 28 February 2013 - Biometrics letter received (appointment date, March 8th); [*] 04 March 2013 - Biometrics walk-in completed (9 out of 10 fingerprints taken, pinky would not give in); [*] 04 April 2013 - EAD/AP card approved; [*] 11 April 2013 - Combo card sent/tracking number obtained; [*] 15 April 2013 - Card delivered.

[*] 15 May 2013 - Moved from MN to LA; [*] 17 May 2013 - Applied for a new SS card/filed an AR-11 online (unsuccessfully), therefore called and spoke to a Tier 2 and changed the address; [*] 22 May 2013 - Address updated on My Case Status (finally can see the case numbers online); [*] 28 May 2013 - Letter received in the mail confirming the change of address; [*] 31 July 2013 - Went to Romania; [*] 12 September 2013 - returned to the US using the AP, POE Houston, everything went smoothly; [*] 20 September 2013 - Spoke to a Tier2 and put in a service request; [*] 23 September 2013 - Got "Possible Interview Waiver" letter (originally sent on August, 29th to my old address, returned and re-routed to my current address); [*] 1 October 2013 - Started a new job.

event.png

Trying to get the word out about our struggles:

http://voices.yahoo.com/almost-legal-citizen-but-not-quite-12155565.html?cat=9

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Romania
Timeline

*thread

USCIS [*] 22 Nov. 2011 - I-129 package sent; [*] 25 Nov. 2011 - Package delivered; [*] 25 Nov. 2011 - NOA1/petition received and routed to the California Service Center; [*] 30 Nov. 2011 - Touched/confirmation though text message and email; [*] 03 Dec. 2011 - Hard copy received; [*]24 April 2012 - NOA2 (no RFEs)/text message/email/USCIS account updated; [*] 27 April 2012 - NOA2 hard copy received.

NVC [*] 14 May 2012 - Petition received by NVC ; [*] 16 May 2012 - Petition left NVC.

EMBASSY [*] 18 May 2012 - Petition arrived at the US Embassy in Bucharest; [*] 22 May 2012 - Package 3 received; [*] 24 May 2012 - Package sent to the consulate, interview date set; [*] 14 June 2012 - Interview date, approved.

POE [*] 04 July 2012 - Minneapolis/St.Paul. [*] 16 September 2012 - Wedding Day!

AOS/EAD/AP [*] 04 February 2013 - AOS/EAD/AP package sent; [*] 07 February 2013 - AOS/EAD/AP package delivered; [*] 12 February 2013 - NOA1 text messages/emails; [*] 16 February 2013 - NOA1 received in the regular mail; [*] 28 February 2013 - Biometrics letter received (appointment date, March 8th); [*] 04 March 2013 - Biometrics walk-in completed (9 out of 10 fingerprints taken, pinky would not give in); [*] 04 April 2013 - EAD/AP card approved; [*] 11 April 2013 - Combo card sent/tracking number obtained; [*] 15 April 2013 - Card delivered.

[*] 15 May 2013 - Moved from MN to LA; [*] 17 May 2013 - Applied for a new SS card/filed an AR-11 online (unsuccessfully), therefore called and spoke to a Tier 2 and changed the address; [*] 22 May 2013 - Address updated on My Case Status (finally can see the case numbers online); [*] 28 May 2013 - Letter received in the mail confirming the change of address; [*] 31 July 2013 - Went to Romania; [*] 12 September 2013 - returned to the US using the AP, POE Houston, everything went smoothly; [*] 20 September 2013 - Spoke to a Tier2 and put in a service request; [*] 23 September 2013 - Got "Possible Interview Waiver" letter (originally sent on August, 29th to my old address, returned and re-routed to my current address); [*] 1 October 2013 - Started a new job.

event.png

Trying to get the word out about our struggles:

http://voices.yahoo.com/almost-legal-citizen-but-not-quite-12155565.html?cat=9

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

*thread

It's not depressing as such, more about real experiences. I am not giving up or wishing I had never come here, it's just a transition. These are temporary feelings. They are not about my husband or me, they are just about dealing with BIG changes.

I hope you can turn your perspective around that's exactly what I am trying my best to do.

event.png

event.png

Watied 129days from NOA1 for NOA2

event.png

Medical January 9th 2012.

Interview date received January 25th

Interview February 15th 2012 - APPROVED.

Received Visa's (K1 and K2) February 23rd 2012.

POE February 24th 2012.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I am going to stay away for a while. I need to be submerged in my 'real' life and not use this as a place to escape.

Just getting on with life. :)

event.png

event.png

Watied 129days from NOA1 for NOA2

event.png

Medical January 9th 2012.

Interview date received January 25th

Interview February 15th 2012 - APPROVED.

Received Visa's (K1 and K2) February 23rd 2012.

POE February 24th 2012.

David took awhile to transition as well. He had no driving experience (Dad drove him to work) at all and so I taught him (I learned I am not a good driving teacher! Ended up getting him professional lessons. He says he will be teaching our future kids how to drive...). He applied to school in the fall after arriving in June 2010 and we decided to let him not work while waiting since we could afford it and to give him time for transition and work on his novel (his savings from working paid for our wedding and honeymoon). Nearly two years later, he's finishing up his accelerated masters in education and will be teaching high school this fall (he has an undergrad degree in physics)

He's adjusted well (besides the rude drivers in the DC metropolitan area!) and enjoys his life here in the US and with me :)

Don't compare yourself to others; do what you need to do for yourself. We did a ton of research on the immigration process and various schools to get his teaching degree so that we were better informed to make decisions and it really felt like we had much more control over our life knowing as much about this process as possible. Take control--read what you can do and figure out what your dreams are and what you need to do to achieve them.

Edited by Justine+David

Naturalization

9/9: Mailed N-400 package off

9/11: Arrived at Dallas, TX

9/17: NOA

9/19: Check cashed

9/23: Received NOA

10/7: Text from USCIS on status update: Biometrics in the mail

10/9: Received Biometrics letter

10/29: Biometrics

10/31: In-line

2/16: Text from USCIS that Baltimore has scheduled an interview...finally!!

2/24: Interview letter received

3/24: Naturalization interview

Maybe Gary shouldn't come barging into a thread with his exaggerations that are designed to...do what exactly? Antagonize people who are share their experiences of what can sometimes be a difficult adjustment process? Especially when you are moving from the United Kingdom and not some place we are repeatedly told where "life is hard" and rife with corruption?

He really is more thin-skinned that I thought if he couldn't handle the responses that were posted here.

90day.jpg

Maybe Gary shouldn't come barging into a thread with his exaggerations that are designed to...do what exactly? Antagonize people who are share their experiences of what can sometimes be a difficult adjustment process? Especially when you are moving from the United Kingdom and not some place we are repeatedly told where "life is hard" and rife with corruption?

He really is more thin-skinned that I thought if he couldn't handle the responses that were posted here.

It wasn't Gary that complained. It was me...my first ever in 4+ years on VJ. I complained that Gary barged in with nothing helpful and the smackdown crew followed and derailed the thread. All the subsequent cr@pola was way off topic (as this is). So can we please just leave it?

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Filed: Timeline

I find Gary funny - he always shows off the accomplishments of the kids that aren't biologically his and that he didn't raise, while keeping his mouth shut on the achievments of the sons that are actually his and was responsable for.

+1 to you, fine sir.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

This house that I am living in used to be my husbands home with his first wife, they lived here for 12 years and were married for 14 years. Larry lived on his own here as a bachelor for 3 years, but I wonder sometimes whether that fact is bothering me? ....I have to shower....

Maybe when you get on your feet and start gaining some confidence you can make a suggestion to your husband that you start shopping around for a new house. I live in the house that me & my ex shared at one time, and I already have a plan that when my husband gets here we will put it on the market and look for a place that's OURS.

Another thought, since you like blogging, why not jump into some photography to document all the new things around your new home! A lot of adult continuing education centers have photography classes and maybe it will get your creativity flowing?!

I bought my husband a DSLR camera and a couple of lenses for our anniversary, so he is learning how to use it now so he atleast has something to do and show people back home, if he can't find a job right away.

I feel bad that you are struggling this much...wish I lived closer, we could hang out. I'm a little worried about my hub not adjusting well whenever he finally gets here. He lives life as a single guy in his own flat with his grown kids in the same town, but does his own thing. I live in a house with my kids who I love to death but miss companionship tremendously and can't wait to feel motivated again to go outside and make the yard look beautiful, or cook dinner, or iron clothes for someone who enjoys & appreciates it. I'll be so happy to have him and he'll hate it. That's my biggest nightmare.

Hang in there hunny, he is probably loving that you are around and you will find your own identity again.

Married Sept.3,2010

02/11/2011: I130 Sent

02/21/2011: NOA1

06/22/2011: NOA2

06/30/2011: NVC

07/05/2011: DS-3032 email received

07/05/2011: DS-3032 emailed

07/06/2011: AOS Bill received

07/06/2011: AOS Fee Paid

07/09/2011: I864 Sent

07/11/2011: IV Fee Bill received

08/30/2011: IV Fee Paid

09/30/2011: IV Pkg Sent

10/24/2011: RFE (we dragged our feet from here on)

(forget all this for now, let's go on holiday!)

03/13/2012: NVC CASE COMPLETE!!

04/05/2012: Received interview appt email

06/22/2012: Medical @ Knightsbridge

06/29/2012: Interview 8am-Result: Pending

??/??/????: I601 Filed at Lock-Box

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.