Penguin_ie

Punctuality and the American job seeker

35 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Now our youngest is 2 years old, we decided I'd be looking for some work if I find something I like, so I went for a job interview yesterday, a fun part time job at a museum. My first job interview in the USA! The interview itself was standard ("why do you want to work here?"; "tell us about a time you dealt with a difficult customer?" etc), but what really surprised me is that the manager seems surprised that I arrived ten minutes before the appointment time, and was dressed in a business suit for this entry level, part time position. He remarked upon both several times. I know Americans don't have Swiss punctuality standards (where arriving on time would be considered late), but is it really that unusual to arrive on time for a job interview???

No matter what you're interviewing for, you're always 10 minutes before the scheduled time. ALWAYS. So, the issue is not punctuality.

Maybe he wanted to really remark on the professionalism he was already observing on your behalf.

Now, as for the attire, it all depends in the industry. If you go to a law firm, it is almost always expected to wear the classic suit and tie. That, unless you're in entertainment and your law firm, for example, represents rockstars. Aside of court appearances, I've never been in a room (or a board room for that matter) where an entertainment lawyer is NOT wearing jeans.

You went to a part-time, entry level job at a museum. It would be expected of you to look professional, but somewhat "artsy."

By the way, good luck on your job search!

Don't ever do anything you're not willing to explain the paramedics.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Penguin, I find it utterly refreshing that the fella interviewing you made these positive comments !!

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Zimbabwe
Timeline

My husband does everything on African time, which means if you are going to do something first thing in the morning you start getting ready right after lunch. I really had to make sure he understood that if you are supposed to be at work at 8 they mean 8 not 9something.

i think you mean Nigerian times, because most Black people or most Africans are culturally British and have the same understandings of when and how to attend a job interview. That means in time at least 10-15 mins early and in business attaire.

shaq.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Norway
Timeline

I wish you luck which I am sure you will land the job hand's down. I would say from your profile picture you have posted you look like you would work in a library or museum - I mean this all as a compliment. I would also say that to be early to a interview is definitely a plus because businesses would rather invest in people who they can depend on and who do not run late. I have gotten every job I ever applied for. For the most part it is all in how you 'sell' yourself (outside - your clothing - to inside - your attitude).

Good luck :)

I-129F Sent : 10-04-2010

I-129F NOA1 : 10-12-2010

Touched: 10-21-2010

NOA2: 03-16-2011

Vermont Service Center

Interview: 05-18-2011

Fiance' Visa Approved: 12Jul2011

POE - Newark Airport November 20, 2011

Married: December 8, 2011

AOS package sent to Chicago Lockbox on Feb. 13, 2012

I-485 transfered to Laguna Niguel CA on March 17, 2012

EAD - received from Lee's Summit, MO on April 18, 2012

Very similar to Canada... when I got interviews in Canada, in the waiting room would only be me and maybe 1 or 2 others in business attire. Everyone else is wearing jeans and flip-flops for an office job >__< then people were often late.

Then when I was an interviewer for retail, dress wasn't super important but people were often late and would bring their friends/spouse with them.

This is something my fiancee and I often argue about. In Denmark, you cannot afford to be late. I always show up at least 15 minutes before my appointments just in case there is unexpected delay or whatsoever.

My fiancee is more like last minute person, when she was living with me in Denmark I often had to push her to leave the house for her appointment in a good time. It seems to be a normal practice in the small town where she grew up that being late is okay.

Edited by GandK

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

I have had many interviews here, in the US. I prefer to show up 20-30 minutes before the interview and I always dress professionally for it. Nobody ever was surprised by that...

And I am 23 years old, so it does not really depend on age. Probably depends on how much you want the job :)

Вiрити нiкому не можна. Hавiть собi. Менi - можна ©

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Now our youngest is 2 years old, we decided I'd be looking for some work if I find something I like, so I went for a job interview yesterday, a fun part time job at a museum. My first job interview in the USA! The interview itself was standard ("why do you want to work here?"; "tell us about a time you dealt with a difficult customer?" etc), but what really surprised me is that the manager seems surprised that I arrived ten minutes before the appointment time, and was dressed in a business suit for this entry level, part time position. He remarked upon both several times. I know Americans don't have Swiss punctuality standards (where arriving on time would be considered late), but is it really that unusual to arrive on time for a job interview???

In Ukraine "Monday morning at 10am" actually means "Monday". That's why they make watches in Switzerland and not Ukraine. :blush:

You did the right thing and it is appreciated by hiring managers like me even for trades/construction work. Yes unfortuantely it is becoming more and more rare for people to show up respectfully for even good paying job interviews. I do not hire them, by the way. Nowadays with everyone having a cell phone in their pocket there is no reason not to call if you are late, OK I could make some exceptions if there is something beyond someone's control. But show up late with no call and pant's hangin' low and you can just keep on walkin'.

And mannerisms are atroctious anymore. No one wants to speak up, they grunt out answers. Bye.

I do not expect carpenters and electricians to show up for an interview with a suit on. CLEAN jeans or work pants (preferred) CLEAN shirt with buttons AND a pocket, and work shoes. Not sandals or sneakers, those are not acceptable work wear. +5 if they bring their own helmet and WEAR it! Be clean, stand up straight and do not act like it is some supreme effort just to drag your @ss up the steps of the office because we do real work here and if you have trouble walking without carrying a bundle of lumber over your shoulder, I do not need you!

You GO Penguin!

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

You are normally DOA if you are late for a job interview.

Suits are out though - replaced with 'business casual' lol

Good luck on your opportunity

i don't get it.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

I am 25 and would never dream of being tardy to an interview. I am actually starting a new job tomorrow (yay!), and while I was interviewing it was mentioned several times that they don't see people being punctual and actually prepared for an interview. Whereas I always come with copies of my resume and other info they may ask for, and dress to their standard. I will also say, it was a common for people to come into my previous job and ask if we were hiring...but be wearing a sweatsuit, looking ratty, not even introduce themselves, not have a resume on them to hand out. Sorry, but if you can't even look and act semi-professional when enquiring, then you just got a big cross next to your name.

Married February 20, 2010

Permanent Resident April 22, 2010

Naturalized Citizen January 14, 2014

Proud Dual Citizen of Australia and the USA!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Arriving a few minutes early and dressed in "appropriate business attire" is SOP for a job interview. Many younger people today miss that point, but most older people know how to present themselves in the best light.

That's a bit sterotypical don't ya think?

MY PROPOSAL AT WRESTLEMANIA 28, FL

♥ Love Timeline ♥

11/11/2003 ~ We met online on a wrestling forum & MySpace promoting the same music band

14/07/2005 ~ Lost contact with each other :(

10/05/2010 ~ We got back in contact, re-establishing our friendship

25/06/2010 ~ Confessed our love for one another, officially a couple! ^_^

29/03/2011 ~ Flew to the USA to meet each other for the first time in Atlanta, GA

10/10/2011 ~ Flew to the USA for a surprise visit in her hometown of Chattanooga, TN

14/01/2012 ~ Flew to TN for a medical emergency; she was hospitalised

23/03/2012 ~ Flew to TN to take her for her first holiday to Miami, FL

29/03/2012 ~ Proposed to her in front of her favourite WWE wrestler CM Punk, she said YES!!!

♥ K-1 Timeline ♥

29/05/2012 ~ I-129f Sent

14/06/2012 ~ NOA1 Received (VSC)

??/??/???? ~ NOA2 Received

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I just want to throw my two cents in here as someone who does a lot of hiring.

I HATE when applicants show up too early. Seriously. I have a schedule, I'm busy, and I'm not going to be impressed by someone arriving early. A few minutes early is to be expected, late is unacceptable, and too early (like more than 10 or 15 minutes) is trying too hard.

As for dress, well it depends on the position. If I'm hiring for an $8 labor type job and the person shows up in a suit and tie, I'm thinking "uh, this is odd." But someone trying to get a job as an office manager showing up in jeans and flip flops wouldn't cut it either. It's a question of judgement. I can teach people skills, but I can't teach good judgement.

Maybe I'm in the minority as far hiring managers, but I don't think so. I've talked to many colleagues who feel the same way about the arriving early thing. 10 minutes early is perfect. 25-30? Seriously annoying.

AOS

5/16/2012 - Package delivered to Chicago Lockbox at 1:33pm

5/21/2012 - Email/text notifications received at 4:50 p.m.

5/26/2012 - NOA hard copies received for I-130, I-485 and I-765

6/19/2012 - Biometrics completed.

7/02/2012 - Text/email/hard copy notification of interview.

7/30/2012 - EAD card production ordered.

8/02/2012 - Interview @ 2:00

8/02/2012 - Email notification of GC production at 5:30pm

8/07/2012 - Second GC production email

8/07/2012 - EAD received.

8/08/2012 - GC mailed.

8/09/2012 - Welcome letter and I-130 approval letter received.

8/10/2012 - Green card received. :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Maybe I'm in the minority as far hiring managers, but I don't think so. I've talked to many colleagues who feel the same way about the arriving early thing. 10 minutes early is perfect. 25-30? Seriously annoying.

I can see your point, and I would usually wait outside until about 10 minutes prior. However, I don't think arriving earlier is an issue in most cases, as there will be a reception area and while the hiring manager may be told the candidate is here, that doesn't mean they have to go out to greet him until it is time.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.