Penguin_ie

Punctuality and the American job seeker

35 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Now our youngest is 2 years old, we decided I'd be looking for some work if I find something I like, so I went for a job interview yesterday, a fun part time job at a museum. My first job interview in the USA! The interview itself was standard ("why do you want to work here?"; "tell us about a time you dealt with a difficult customer?" etc), but what really surprised me is that the manager seems surprised that I arrived ten minutes before the appointment time, and was dressed in a business suit for this entry level, part time position. He remarked upon both several times. I know Americans don't have Swiss punctuality standards (where arriving on time would be considered late), but is it really that unusual to arrive on time for a job interview???

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Why base your comment upon American, the manager probably only could base his experiences upon those he have interviwed from your part of the country. The US is a large country, no two states or people from these areas act/talk/walk the same.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Now our youngest is 2 years old, we decided I'd be looking for some work if I find something I like, so I went for a job interview yesterday, a fun part time job at a museum. My first job interview in the USA! The interview itself was standard ("why do you want to work here?"; "tell us about a time you dealt with a difficult customer?" etc), but what really surprised me is that the manager seems surprised that I arrived ten minutes before the appointment time, and was dressed in a business suit for this entry level, part time position. He remarked upon both several times. I know Americans don't have Swiss punctuality standards (where arriving on time would be considered late), but is it really that unusual to arrive on time for a job interview???

Like 5 minutes ahead of time, and ask dressing code before interview? That's I used to do.

Edited by peter.chou

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Belarus
Timeline

Arriving a few minutes early and dressed in "appropriate business attire" is SOP for a job interview. Many younger people today miss that point, but most older people know how to present themselves in the best light.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

My husband does everything on African time, which means if you are going to do something first thing in the morning you start getting ready right after lunch. I really had to make sure he understood that if you are supposed to be at work at 8 they mean 8 not 9something.

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kuwait
Timeline

I think it depends on the person. I hate being late and I would always arrive 30 minutes before and I would either wait in the garage with my notes/book/magazine or drive around in the immediate area so I could arrive for the interview 10 to 15 minutes early. For my work, I would wear a business suit to an interview, but if I were going for a entry level - part time position, I would opt for a business casual shirt and slacks. I don't think it would hurt since it's a museum, but for some positions, I would not want to be over-dressed. :)

K-1 to Citizenship - 6 year immigration journey: January 2012 to January 2018

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

My husband does everything on African time, which means if you are going to do something first thing in the morning you start getting ready right after lunch. I really had to make sure he understood that if you are supposed to be at work at 8 they mean 8 not 9something.

There is no such thing as an african time. It is cultural thing, as I have african background, I am well structured when it comes to time management. Time management is a cultural thing, it has nothing to do with what continent you are from.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
most older people know how to present themselves in the best light
Lest this be misunderstood (ha, man), the lovely & gracious Pinguina (Spanish spelling) will be 29 until she's 60, and then 39 until Whenever, see man.

But this poster is absolutely correct, si man: Some "younger" people today haven't been taught that first impressions count, no man.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
If someone did not arrive at my place of employment on time and dressed appropriately they would not get the job.
Si, man... er, no, man... er... what she said, see man.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Lest this be misunderstood (ha, man), the lovely & gracious Pinguina (Spanish spelling) will be 29 until she's 60, and then 39 until Whenever, see man.

But this poster is absolutely correct, si man: Some "younger" people today haven't been taught that first impressions count, no man.

You almost got me; I am 38. Yes, I think the age may have something to do with it, and also this job on paper suiting a student and being very well paid for part-time, thus maybe some Highschoolers applying more out of curiosity than seriously wanting it.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

I think more than a cultural thing it is a generational thing. I am 27, but I was raised well and taught to be professional. I find that many of my peers and those younger than me do not have the same attitude. We've been interviewing at my company and many applicants do not even show up for their interview and don't even send an email of explanation! So sad. Just be proud that you were raised to be professional and that is why you will most likely get the job above all of the other applicants. :)

God delays but doesn't forget.

event.png

Filed: Timeline

After 20 something years here I am still having to adjust to that :rofl:

But yes, OP, I guess it depends on the job, but for a professional IT company, interview at 8AM means I am there at 730AM and I am in front of the Receptionist at 745AM latest. And professionally dressed regardless if it's a Mail Room clerk position.

Once I got a job partly because I showed up an hour before the interview and informed the Receptionist that I am here but will sit in the lobby until the proper time. Apparently the position has had a few bad apples that had timing issues.

Anyways good luck to all job seekers :dance:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.