SJG

Mother approved for Tourist Visa (US Embassy-Manila)

27 posts in this topic

It was quite a pleasant surprise. My mother got approved for a U.S. Tourist visa yesterday. According to her, she wasn't asked to show any documents or proof of ties. She was asked 4 simple questions: 1) Which State are you visiting in America? [Northern Virginia] 2) Who is sponsoring your travel? [My daughter and son-in-law] 3) Does your daughter work? What's her job? [Yes. She is a Communications Manager at ***] How long are you planning to visit? [A month, around September, in time for my birthday.]

Her interview lasted for less than 3 minutes and the consul said her application is approved.

Note that my mom does not have a fat bank account, she is a widow, I am her only daughter and I have immigrated to the States last year. She has 1 property under her name and that's about it.

Hearing a lot of horror stories from other applicants made us feel skeptical as to whether she'll get approved but at the end of the day, I guess it's a mix of prayer, determination, honesty and luck that made her first attempt a success.

My husband and I believe that the Consul, after all, is emphatic and the US Gov't would be more than willing to bring families together. As long as your purpose of travelling to America is legit and you've answered all the questions directly and as honest as possible, there should be no reason to fear denial.

gh56p8.png

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Actually about 70% of Filipinos that apply for a tourist get approved. The CO doing the interview can make a huge difference - your mother was fortunate to get an easy going CO.

"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!" - Eleanor Roosevelt, First Lady of the United States, 1945.

"Retreat hell! We just got here!"

CAPT. LLOYD WILLIAMS, USMC

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

:wow: That is awesome to hear that.. :thumbs:

Actually went round robin with someone on the Tourist Visa. I was way off the mark on how many tourist Visas are actually approved. I had to pull the DOS Visa Statistics chart - 62.1% Approval rate for 2011.

Congratulations and enjoy to have your mom there on your B-day.

God Does for those who do for themselves..!!

Timeline

Actually went round robin with someone on the Tourist Visa. I was way off the mark on how many tourist Visas are actually approved. I had to pull the DOS Visa Statistics chart - 62.1% Approval rate for 2011.

Click here then scroll down to the 3rd page - Manila is the last entry on page three.

"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!" - Eleanor Roosevelt, First Lady of the United States, 1945.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Click here then scroll down to the 3rd page - Manila is the last entry on page three.

Thanks bro.. :thumbs: I saw that the other day.

Check out this data for 2010. I am a little confused on page 3 for Philippines. Look at column 4 (B-1,2). Is 78,787 total B visa applications for 2010?

http://www.travel.state.gov/pdf/FY10AnnualReport-TableXVII.pdf

God Does for those who do for themselves..!!

Timeline

Thanks bro.. :thumbs: I saw that the other day.

Check out this data for 2010. I am a little confused on page 3 for Philippines. Look at column 4 (B-1,2). Is 78,787 total B visa applications for 2010?

http://www.travel.st...t-TableXVII.pdf

I saw that chart also and on that same Dept. of State page was two other charts, but after I studied those two charts and did additional research, it appears that 78,787 was the total number of B1/B2 visas issued in 2010. What's confusing are the two columns and figures under B1 (4,514) & B2 (534) which do not add up to equal 78,787.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

congrats!

November 5, 2010 Interview 7am APPROVED!!!!!! (6months 4weeks 1day) THANK YOU LORD!!!!!

(look at my about me page in my profile if you want to see my entire k1 journey)

AOS Journey:

Feb.4, 2011 Mailed AOS packet

Feb. 7, 2011 Pkt delivered in Chicago

Feb. 10, 2011 Received txt and email of NOA for AOS, EAD, and AP

Feb. 11, 2011 Check cashed for AOS

Feb. 12, 2011 Touched

Feb. 14, 2011 received hard copy of NOA for AOS, EAD& AP

Feb. 18, 2011 received appt letter for biometrics

Feb. 28, 2011 biometrics appt @10am

Feb. 28, 2011 received txt/email AOS case transferred to csc

Mar 1, 2011 AOS Touched

Mar 3, 2011 received hard copy of AOS transfer to csc

Mar 4, 2011 AOS Touched

Mar 28, 2011 Received txt/email saying card production has been ordered. (1month 3eeks 3days)

Mar 28, 2011 Received 2nd txt/email saying we have registered this customer permanent residence status

Mar 29, 2011 Received 3rd txt/email says card production has been ordered.

April 1, 2011 greencard and welcome letter in hand!!

April 5, 2011 received txt/email EAD card production ordered

Will Start Removing Conditions Dec 2012!!!!

Dec. 26, 2012 mailed ROC paperwork

Dec. 28, 2012 NOA for ROC paperwork

Jan. 7, 2013 received bio appt letter

Jan. 24, 2013 bio appt.

June 22, 2013 10yr green card received

68z00wwuiyl.png

Thanks! :) And I totally agree, the percentage of approval for tourist visa has significantly increased in the past years. I can't complain! :)

gh56p8.png

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, congrats to your mom!:) I would also like to invite my brother, will turn 21 yrs old on the 16th. Did you send a letter of invitation or sponsorship? is it even necessary? my bro just fnished college . No job yet. but id like to invite him to come over as a bday and graduation present, ill be paying for his expense...he'll be staying here for couple weeks only. Do you think there is a chance? any evidences that will prove he will go back to phils?

F2A Journey ( Daughter or LPR mom)

PD: 08/22/2013

NOA2: 11/15/2013

CASE NUMBER GENERATED: 12/16/2013

DS261 SENT: 12/16/2013

AOS PAID: 1/1/2014

AOS PACKET SENT:

IV PAID: 1/10/2014

IV PACKET SENT:

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, congrats to your mom!:) I would also like to invite my brother, will turn 21 yrs old on the 16th. Did you send a letter of invitation or sponsorship? is it even necessary? my bro just fnished college . No job yet. but id like to invite him to come over as a bday and graduation present, ill be paying for his expense...he'll be staying here for couple weeks only. Do you think there is a chance? any evidences that will prove he will go back to phils?

I did prepare a letter of invitation for my mother. But more than just an invite, it is a letter of guarantee that my mother has no further interest in staying in the US longer than ____(days/months) and that during her stay, we will be solely responsible for her living expenses and airfare. During mom's interview, she wasn't ask to show this letter though as I've mentioned in my post, it was pretty painless. I can imagine that the CO would be prying more on your brother's reason for visiting, since he will be flagged as a high-risk visa applicant (young, single, fresh graduate, unemployed). Granted that he is travelling in good faith, he will have to convince the CO that he has no intention of overstaying in America and that he has enough reasons to come back to Philippines, it would help if he shows that he has some savings, plans/proof of further studies, and/or shortlisted for a job.

It gives ME hope. :)

I also found comfort in prayers :) Claim it and it will happen!

gh56p8.png

Filed: IR-5 Country: Philippines
Timeline

I did prepare a letter of invitation for my mother. But more than just an invite, it is a letter of guarantee that my mother has no further interest in staying in the US longer than ____(days/months) and that during her stay, we will be solely responsible for her living expenses and airfare. During mom's interview, she wasn't ask to show this letter though as I've mentioned in my post, it was pretty painless. I can imagine that the CO would be prying more on your brother's reason for visiting, since he will be flagged as a high-risk visa applicant (young, single, fresh graduate, unemployed). Granted that he is travelling in good faith, he will have to convince the CO that he has no intention of overstaying in America and that he has enough reasons to come back to Philippines, it would help if he shows that he has some savings, plans/proof of further studies, and/or shortlisted for a job.

I also found comfort in prayers :) Claim it and it will happen!

SJG,

My parents will be interviewed on June 1st at 6:30am. I am hoping and praying that they be granted the visa since I am giving birth anytime soon (due date is June 19th). Regarding the letter of invitation, I have sent out a affidavit (a statement signed by me and my husband that we will shoulder all the expenses. And this would be for the sole purpose of them being here when the baby is born). I think I may have to send another email (as advised by the travel agent) for the interview to show that we are in constant email communication about the pregnancy's progress. How old is your mom? Both of my folks are seniors (60 and 63). They are both retired, no bank accounts, we have vehicle and a jeepney that they own. IS there anything else, that may prove helpful for their application to get approved?

Thanks!

ppe47ozqawgdn.png

HappyDancer is a proud wife to a country boy in KY.

I-130 for Parents (Mom and Dad)

3.15.2014: Mailed I-130 Packet for Mom and Dad

3.21.2014: Received email notification with case # for both petitions; case forwarded to NBC for processing

3.21.2014: Check cashed

3.22.2014: Hard copy NOA1 received

4.08.2014: Both I-130 approved (notification received via email) - It only took three weeks!!!

4.11.2014: Received NOA2 approval notice in the mail.

5.01.2014: Called NVC to ask for status of paperwork. Advised they received both application on 4.28. Advised to call in 30 business days for an update.

6.02.2014: Email notification received from NVC that shows parents' NVC case number and instructions to pay AOS Fee and fill out DS 261.

6.03.2014: Paid AOS fee ($88 for both petitions)

N400:
4.26.2013: Mailed N400 Packet

5.21.2013: Biometrics

7.18.2013: Testing and Interview

9.25.2013: Oath Ceremony

Medical at St. Lukes:
http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/183224-experience-medical-at-st-lukes-extension-clinic/

K1 with K2 Visa Interview:
http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/184246-usem-interview-on-march-10-at-7am-approved/page__p__2728465#entry2728465

CFO:Review, tips and advise:
http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/186123-cforeview-tips-and-advise/

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.