Cathi

looking for MENA success stories

373 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Iraq
Timeline

Yeah the separation is horrible. I will also go back when it's time for his interview. This will be my 3rd visit since November. Our case was complete at the NVC May 9, but I was told they will not schedule the appt for his interview until June and it will most likely be in July. I hope you get to spend some time with your husband. Even short visits are good, gives a little sense of normalcy to it all.

The time did go by fast when after I sent the i 130...but now the days seem to drag. Once our case hit the NVC it seems like it is taking forever. My husband is so happy that I am visiting. When I see him on cam I can see it on his face and hear it in his voice. His smile could light up 100 rooms!!! heart.gif

I am really hoping that he's scheduled for his interview in New Delhi so we can do together. I would go out a couple months early and just stay there so we can go back together. I have a feeling they are going to want more evidence for us since we've only spent 1&1/2 months together at this point. It's so expensive to fly out there so I figure if I go back I'll just stay until he can come back with me.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

I am really hoping that he's scheduled for his interview in New Delhi so we can do together. I would go out a couple months early and just stay there so we can go back together. I have a feeling they are going to want more evidence for us since we've only spent 1&1/2 months together at this point. It's so expensive to fly out there so I figure if I go back I'll just stay until he can come back with me.

I wish I could stay until the time of his interview,but I have children who need me here. I will go to the interview a few days ahead of time and stay for 2 weeks after and hopefully all will go well at the interview and he will be able to fly home with me.

Timeline

I wish I could stay until the time of his interview,but I have children who need me here. I will go to the interview a few days ahead of time and stay for 2 weeks after and hopefully all will go well at the interview and he will be able to fly home with me.

Just my opinion, but I would wait to buy him a ticket. If you have some terrible AP (not wishing it on you at all just saying if it happens) you don't want to be stuck with this ticket. I figured you were waiting because you didn't mention doing it, but I thought I would toss that out there. Also sometimes the guys say they will leave with you the second they get their visa but it's not really true :P It's silly that they say it, but it is understandable that they are leaving home for quite a long period of time perhaps, and thus they like to have about a month to get themselves together. Some leave with visa in hand, others take this time to tie up loose ends. Like if your husband has a job, he may want to set himself up on a leave of absence (which isn't a bad idea) for a year, and things like that just in case. It's not about not trusting you or anything, but it's just a good safety net in case something unforeseen happens. I know my husband said he would leave and I figured he would not really go, but rather finish his term. I was correct. He did in fact wait for his term to be over and all the finals graded before he left. That only made sense to not ditch his classes mid-semester. That would have screwed all the students. I am sure the university could have found another professor, but it's unprofessional to just leave like that. Other jobs don't matter and don't really work like that so it's OK just to leave. Also there is the whole family thing-- if he says he's going, then there is the parade of people saying goodbye which takes FOREVER. Mine just didn't say he was leaving until like 2 or so days before he left and had to admit it in order to get a ride to the airport. Saved him some trouble lol. My husband is weird like that though. Normal people tell others as soon as they know. Good luck!

Edited by julianna

None of my posts have ever been helpful. Be forewarned.

Timeline

Just my opinion, but I would wait to buy him a ticket. If you have some terrible AP (not wishing it on you at all just saying if it happens) you don't want to be stuck with this ticket. I figured you were waiting because you didn't mention doing it, but I thought I would toss that out there. Also sometimes the guys say they will leave with you the second they get their visa but it's not really true :P It's silly that they say it, but it is understandable that they are leaving home for quite a long period of time perhaps, and thus they like to have about a month to get themselves together. Some leave with visa in hand, others take this time to tie up loose ends. Like if your husband has a job, he may want to set himself up on a leave of absence (which isn't a bad idea) for a year, and things like that just in case. It's not about not trusting you or anything, but it's just a good safety net in case something unforeseen happens. I know my husband said he would leave and I figured he would not really go, but rather finish his term. I was correct. He did in fact wait for his term to be over and all the finals graded before he left. That only made sense to not ditch his classes mid-semester. That would have screwed all the students. I am sure the university could have found another professor, but it's unprofessional to just leave like that. Other jobs don't matter and don't really work like that so it's OK just to leave. Also there is the whole family thing-- if he says he's going, then there is the parade of people saying goodbye which takes FOREVER. Mine just didn't say he was leaving until like 2 or so days before he left and had to admit it in order to get a ride to the airport. Saved him some trouble lol. My husband is weird like that though. Normal people tell others as soon as they know. Good luck!

Well, my situation is a bit different. Or I should say my husband's is. He's in India (not his home country- his old home been destroyed unfortunately) as a refugee and he has no rights to work there. He's been there since the war in Iraq began and BELIEVE ME , he's ready to not walk, but run outta there. I would even consider going over there to live for a bit and work over there until such time that we can leave, but I'm not permitted to work either(you must be an Indian citizen). He honestly has no reason to be homesick.

Timeline

Well, my situation is a bit different. Or I should say my husband's is. He's in India (not his home country- his old home been destroyed unfortunately) as a refugee and he has no rights to work there. He's been there since the war in Iraq began and BELIEVE ME , he's ready to not walk, but run outta there. I would even consider going over there to live for a bit and work over there until such time that we can leave, but I'm not permitted to work either(you must be an Indian citizen). He honestly has no reason to be homesick.

Yeah, that makes one more interested in leaving the place of residence. ETA-- I remember a few Iraqis passing through VJ-- or the spouses of Iraqis. Lots did the refugee route because it wasn't marriage dependent and had more benefits. Do they still even do that program? I'm just curious.

Edited by julianna

Timeline

oh we will not buy a ticket until he gets the visa in his hands...we know better :)

Timeline

He's been terribly patient I must say since we've known each other almost 5 years. But up until recently...after many attempts to help him (with my family and senator assistance) nothing happened with UN relocation. It's been a completely fruitless battle with that route. I decided rather than wait for anything to be done in that department, I wanted to be with him (for years) and the same for him ( I gave multiple opportunities to back out and move on- but he refused), I just bit the bullet and decided to start my future with him and not rely on anyone else to help (which would never come). Ironically, exactly 1 day after we married, they called to inform him he'd been selected for relocation :bonk: About 5 minutes into his interview, they asked him who I was- they undoubtedly had my letter in his folder (which they never responded to)- he told them I was the woman he married. So they said that's it, relocation cancelled, game over. So now we are going this route. Which is better actually since he'll coming here with me and we're already married , etc. It's just been a very difficult, frustrating road.

Timeline

He's been terribly patient I must say since we've known each other almost 5 years. But up until recently...after many attempts to help him (with my family and senator assistance) nothing happened with UN relocation. It's been a completely fruitless battle with that route. I decided rather than wait for anything to be done in that department, I wanted to be with him (for years) and the same for him ( I gave multiple opportunities to back out and move on- but he refused), I just bit the bullet and decided to start my future with him and not rely on anyone else to help (which would never come). Ironically, exactly 1 day after we married, they called to inform him he'd been selected for relocation :bonk: About 5 minutes into his interview, they asked him who I was- they undoubtedly had my letter in his folder (which they never responded to)- he told them I was the woman he married. So they said that's it, relocation cancelled, game over. So now we are going this route. Which is better actually since he'll coming here with me and we're already married , etc. It's just been a very difficult, frustrating road.

Oh! That sucks. Yeah, I know some of the ones who ended up doing a marriage based visa basically were either in your situation or something where they were stuck in an endless circle of Dante's hell with the other one. I just hadn't seen anyone pass through in a while who knew about if they were still doing the other. Thanks!

Timeline

Oh! That sucks. Yeah, I know some of the ones who ended up doing a marriage based visa basically were either in your situation or something where they were stuck in an endless circle of Dante's hell with the other one. I just hadn't seen anyone pass through in a while who knew about if they were still doing the other. Thanks!

You're no kidding, it does suck! lol I seriously did want to do this to the officer :bonk:

I could go on..but suffice it to say...they're refugee program is a bit "flawed" (using nice words :D) I guess the timing just set me off :lol: After he got off the phone with his congratulations call , I asked him "REALLY?????" :blink: Oh, and the reason for his selection was "loneliness". Ahem. :whistle: Again, REALLY? See now, you got me started LOL

You're no kidding, it does suck! lol I seriously did want to do this to the officer :bonk:

I could go on..but suffice it to say...they're refugee program is a bit "flawed" (using nice words :D) I guess the timing just set me off :lol: After he got off the phone with his congratulations call , I asked him "REALLY?????" :blink: Oh, and the reason for his selection was "loneliness". Ahem. :whistle: Again, REALLY? See now, you got me started LOL

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Lebanon
Timeline

No I haven't converted. I said it because it's a nice thing to say, especially in the MENA forum. Why do you feel the need to be so rude? If I had said God bless would then you would have accused me of something else. This forum is about helping people on their journey, not insulting them. If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it. And grow up.

My husband happens to be from Lebanon and I did not convert to his religion...and believe me, I have a strong back bone!!!! I'm learning to speak Arabic just as anyone else who marries a man from a different country. That comment was uncalled for and very rude!!

I am older than my husband (10 years) and we had no problems. We went through the CR1 process and he got his visa in 5 months. He's been here in the US for 4 months and it's been wonderful to have him home. The CO asked him about our age difference and he told the CO that it wasn't a problem for him and he still considers me to be his young sweetheart. :rofl:

You can send me a message if you have personal questions.

BTW, good luck on your journey and hope you and your loved one will be united soon, inshallah,

Filed: Timeline

My husband happens to be from Lebanon and I did not convert to his religion...and believe me, I have a strong back bone!!!! I'm learning to speak Arabic just as anyone else who marries a man from a different country. That comment was uncalled for and very rude!!

I am older than my husband (10 years) and we had no problems. We went through the CR1 process and he got his visa in 5 months. He's been here in the US for 4 months and it's been wonderful to have him home. The CO asked him about our age difference and he told the CO that it wasn't a problem for him and he still considers me to be his young sweetheart. :rofl:

You can send me a message if you have personal questions.

BTW, good luck on your journey and hope you and your loved one will be united soon, inshallah,

yes 4 months is a strong indicator ROFL..

Try 5 years and post citizenship...then come tell us how it is ok?

Timeline

yes 4 months is a strong indicator ROFL..

Try 5 years and post citizenship...then come tell us how it is ok?

Why do you feel the need to slam everyone? Seriously? Just because you are miserable does it mean the rest of us need to be? I am tired of reading the way you cut everyone down. If you don't like the fact that most of us are happy, I suggest you stop reading the comments here. I don't feel bad for you. The reason you're so miserable is because of your own bad decisions. We are not naive bubble heads like you seem to think we are. I just came back a few hours ago from spending time with my husband and his family in Jordan, and each time I am with him it just reinforces our love for each other and that our decision to marry each other was 100% the best thing for us. Now feel free to rip my comment apart, I don't care what you think , no matter what anyone says you will find an excuse to be miserable. headbonk.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.