Cathi

looking for MENA success stories

373 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

I know every inch of Jordan isn't desert. I was speaking of the general area where he lives. His family is from the north and they are all farmers, his dad and mom both own property in Irbid and use their land to farm olive trees, his aunts, uncles, cousins all own land and farm olives trees, I have spent months there. Even in Irbid which is farm country it is still very dry with the exception of a short time during the winter months when it rains.

Yeah, it's a Mediterranean climate in the north (or at least close). Irbed is OK.. even more north it's like rainfall increases ever so slightly by the mile :) That land in Irbed is worth a fortune now, probably! Property prices have jumped a ton in the past 5 years. What did you do in Aqaba when you went? We did a honeymoonish thing there in the sense that we showed up, but it wasn't what you would normally consider a honeymoon. No swimming or anything. We forgot our IDs and had to talk our way through the checkpoint. We accidentally went to KSA. You know, all the fun stuff.

True - much of Jordan is desert, but not all of it. The Ghor (in the northern Jordan Valley) is quite the breadbasket.

2upfqd5.jpg

Very much like Palestine next door - there are areas of very arid desert, and then suddenly you find swaths of rich farmland. And the farmers are making the most of every inch of it.

Haha I have this map saved on my computer in my future gardening files :P

ETA there is another map which I should find.. it has annual rainfall for Jordan and Israel-- you can see that Irbed has like 5cm less annual rainfall than Hartha which is just to the North on the Yarmouk. It's really interesting to see how much the rainfall changes in just 15 miles.

Edited by julianna

None of my posts have ever been helpful. Be forewarned.

Timeline

I thought this thread was about Oreos?

LOL :P

I know every inch of Jordan isn't desert. I was speaking of the general area where he lives. His family is from the north and they are all farmers, his dad and mom both own property in Irbid and use their land to farm olive trees, his aunts, uncles, cousins all own land and farm olives trees, I have spent months there. Even in Irbid which is farm country it is still very dry with the exception of a short time during the winter months when it rains.

Relax, no one is on your case. We're just talking. :)

Timeline

We have talked about moving back to Jordan at some point. Right now the US is the only option as I have 2 children who I would never dream of taking away from their Dad. As much as my ex was a terrible husband, he has always been a great father, my children idolize him. My new husband will buy a house or condo in Amman, and we will travel back and forth at least once a year, and maybe someday permanently. Jordan is pretty liberal overall , I would miss a few creature comforts from the US, but other than that I would love to live there. I live in NH so it's far from the hustle and bustle of the city, very quiet. He can't wait to see trees and mountains and lakes and the ocean and all the great things New England has to offer, Jordan is pretty much desert once you get outside of Amman. He is pretty easy going much like your husband, takes a lot to upset him, always smiling. Hopefully he stays that way once he gets here. After living with my 2 teenage kids we'll see how that goes rofl.gif

So would you live in Amman? We're moving back after graduation unless he finds an amazing job here. You can find and/or create any of the creature comforts in Jordan but they are $$. Also some of it just isn't things they are used to. Get a water pressure pump. Ammar is installing one at his parent's house this visit because he has decided they are necessary. He's measured the pipes and is also taking a water saving shower head.

Filed: Country: Palestine
Timeline

ETA there is another map which I should find.. it has annual rainfall for Jordan and Israel-- you can see that Irbed has like 5cm less annual rainfall than Hartha which is just to the North on the Yarmouk. It's really interesting to see how much the rainfall changes in just 15 miles.

Knowing you, you have a full dossier with plans for your future northern Jordan organic ranchette :yes:

Micro climates are fascinating...

ETA: the rainiest parts of the Jordan Valley actually get (on average) a little bit more rain than San Antonio - our average is about 29 inches a year. The rural areas there in Northern Jordan and in the West Bank remind me quite a bit of South Texas...

especially the sabr !

Edited by wife_of_mahmoud

6y04dk.jpg
شارع النجمة في بيت لحم

Too bad what happened to a once thriving VJ but hardly a surprise

al Nakba 1948-2015
66 years of forced exile and dispossession

Copyright © 2015 by PalestineMyHeart. Original essays, comments by and personal photographs taken by PalestineMyHeart are the exclusive intellectual property of PalestineMyHeart and may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere in any manner without express written permission from PalestineMyHeart.

Timeline

Knowing you, you have a full dossier with plans for your future northern Jordan organic ranchette :yes:

Micro climates are fascinating...

ETA: the rainiest parts of the Jordan Valley actually get (on average) a little bit more rain than San Antonio - our average is about 29 inches a year. The rural areas there in Northern Jordan and in the West Bank remind me quite a bit of South Texas...

especially the sabr !

LOL a few months ago Ammar drew out his yard plans and we went over them together. Lots of hardscaping issues to figure out with fruit trees and such. We do have full and ridiculous plans already lol. He's really adopted a lot of new agriculture practices from here though and realized how wasteful the traditional constant plowing is and how badly it has eroded the soil. He says they know that, but just don't stop/care. So we're looking at various alternatives for soil conservation!

Filed: Country: Palestine
Timeline

LOL a few months ago Ammar drew out his yard plans and we went over them together. Lots of hardscaping issues to figure out with fruit trees and such. We do have full and ridiculous plans already lol. He's really adopted a lot of new agriculture practices from here though and realized how wasteful the traditional constant plowing is and how badly it has eroded the soil. He says they know that, but just don't stop/care. So we're looking at various alternatives for soil conservation!

Compost. Mulch. Repeat.

Oops once again we have hijacked a thread to talk about gardening

6y04dk.jpg
شارع النجمة في بيت لحم

Too bad what happened to a once thriving VJ but hardly a surprise

al Nakba 1948-2015
66 years of forced exile and dispossession

Copyright © 2015 by PalestineMyHeart. Original essays, comments by and personal photographs taken by PalestineMyHeart are the exclusive intellectual property of PalestineMyHeart and may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere in any manner without express written permission from PalestineMyHeart.

Timeline

and then what...if you talk about anything other than oreos or sunshine and someone says something snarky and you snark back the thread gets locked. BAH

Well, that's OK. If they want to go play with me in the garden thread, they can give it a whirl.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Ohhhhhh when I was in Damascus...I seen old old olive trees and wondered how much history they might have seen!!!!

I have olive trees here in San Diego (just planted 2 years ago)...and have started to (pickle? brine?) the measly harvest. I was amazed I can do it myself...and how decent they tasted instead of store bought :thumbs:

Just cant get the pomegranates to grow to maturity?? Wife of Mahmoud??? Would you happen to know?

BTW it is really good to read about Jordan's Terrain or Neighboring Palestine I adore the middle east culture and envy those whom have been and seen.

These are success stories too.

Just why can I see photos of these wonderful places that members have taken??? If I google it is my search not your personal adventure...

edited for spelling planted as palented :blink: geek

Edited by inluvnwaiting

event.png

event.png

Timeline

Just cant get the pomegranates to grow to maturity?? Wife of Mahmoud??? Would you happen to know?

How old is your pomegranate bush? ETA: and how many do you have?/what variety?

Edited by julianna

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Ok Juliana you fast!!!!

We can be friends too hahahaha

I am glad you asked....I will go to the garden section not to derail this with my tree questions any further...if i am allowed there...hahaha

event.png

event.png

Timeline

Yeah, it's a Mediterranean climate in the north (or at least close). Irbed is OK.. even more north it's like rainfall increases ever so slightly by the mile :) That land in Irbed is worth a fortune now, probably! Property prices have jumped a ton in the past 5 years. What did you do in Aqaba when you went? We did a honeymoonish thing there in the sense that we showed up, but it wasn't what you would normally consider a honeymoon. No swimming or anything. We forgot our IDs and had to talk our way through the checkpoint. We accidentally went to KSA. You know, all the fun stuff.

We stayed at Raddison Blu Tala Bay for 5 days. It was beautiful. Yeah land in Irbid is worth a fortune. His family has thousands of acres. Most of what they have for land has been passed down from other generations. It's cool to go there, you can actually see broken pieces of pottery everywhere on their land, going way back from when the Romans were in the area. Have you been to the baptismal site of Jesus yet? I was going to go when I was there in feb/march but the weather was crappy. It was torrential rain most of the time, and snow..lots of snow...his dad said it is more snow than he can every remember having in jordan and his dad is in his 70's. The dead sea is great too...we stayed at movenpik for a few days and days trips too...its so funny how you float in the water because of the high salt content. My husband isnt a swimmer and he was afraid to go in until i showed him how easy it was to float. after that i couldnt get him out of the water. Jordan really is an interesting place, and the people are so kind and welcoming.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.