armywifejapan

passport ammendment

5 posts in this topic

Filed: E-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi. Wanna ask about my case. Been remarried to US army last june,2011. We didn't have a paperworks problems from Philippine Embassy and his unit command sponsorship. The orders was given february and i was confused of my passport name . All my ids are on his surname following our marriage contract notarized from Philippine Embasssy and legal Office. Filling a US Visa should be on my husband surname on my passport , am i right ??? My passport is my old passport which is my japanese surname . When i filled to change in Philippine Embassy , they want me to file a court of recognition in Philippine paying 120,000 pesos (2700$) just to get that done. Taking at least 6 to a year before get it done from court in Philippines. We are now very depressed and so down about the new rules here in Jpan since october. And we already apply US visa. The orders says we need to go to US by july . We don't know if we need to file and pay that amount or is there any procedure ??? My passport expires til next yr by november and ,i don't know what do i need to do??

PLs help...any suggestions will appreciated..

Thank you in advance..

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Hi. Wanna ask about my case. Been remarried to US army last june,2011. We didn't have a paperworks problems from Philippine Embassy and his unit command sponsorship. The orders was given february and i was confused of my passport name . All my ids are on his surname following our marriage contract notarized from Philippine Embasssy and legal Office. Filling a US Visa should be on my husband surname on my passport , am i right ??? My passport is my old passport which is my japanese surname . When i filled to change in Philippine Embassy , they want me to file a court of recognition in Philippine paying 120,000 pesos (2700$) just to get that done. Taking at least 6 to a year before get it done from court in Philippines. We are now very depressed and so down about the new rules here in Jpan since october. And we already apply US visa. The orders says we need to go to US by july . We don't know if we need to file and pay that amount or is there any procedure ??? My passport expires til next yr by november and ,i don't know what do i need to do??

PLs help...any suggestions will appreciated..

Thank you in advance..

You will be issued the visa in the name listed on your passport. Do you have any form of ID with that name? You will need something that matches your passport at the port of entry. Your military ID card being in your married name is something you can explain to the immigration officer. The only hangup I can think of is if the Philippines requires you to change your passport once married. I did not have to change my passport until it was about to expire I added all my name change supporting documents and it was issued in my married name.

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

The process of amending your passport seems pretty straight forward according to the Application For Amendment Of Passport. Many times when the bureaucratic machine of government puts a road block up, you simply have to out think the knuckleheads in government and go around them. Japan is an easy and inexpensive flight to the Philippines, have you and your husband considered this:

1. You take a flight back to Manila, personally going to the DFA to get your passport amended?

2. Use an address in the Philippines for the purpose of getting your passport amended - considering you'll have to stay there until the process is complete.

3. Then return to Japan after the process has been completed?

Your post leaves me with a question. You state that your passport is in your Japanese surname, is that because of birth (lots of Philippine citizens have a Japanese parent, hence a Japanese last name) or were you once married to a Japanese citizen? The reason why I ask this, the suggestion I offered to travel back to Manila to process the name change might be more complicated if you're divorced, considering the laws governing Philippine citizens and divorce.

Provided you're not divorced, going back to the Philippines to get your passport amended (if it can be done) might be cheaper than $2700 and 6-12 months as told to you by the Philippine consulate in Japan. Is there a legal reason why you can't return to Manila to get this taken care of or why that option won't work?

"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!" - Eleanor Roosevelt, First Lady of the United States, 1945.

"Retreat hell! We just got here!"

CAPT. LLOYD WILLIAMS, USMC

Filed: E-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I was married before in Japanese citizen. To go back in Philippines might not a good idea coz my 2 kids . Cost more. The orders of my husband , august is our leave to US.

My hubby just had jaw surgery too last week, can't leave him easy. Hope we will find another way.

Thank you for your reply.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.