Dante & Geor

Does VA cover pregnancy??

12 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

Hi, I'm soon to be the wife of an Army Veteran, and we're also pregnant of our second child. My question is does VA Hospitals will cover my pregnancy. Do I get to be attended at VA Hospitals?? Or do I have to find other way to cover my pregnancy and my son's(daughter's) birth?

10-24-2012: AOS, EAD, AP Sent

11-04-2012: NOA1 AOS, EAD, AP

11-06-2012: Biometrics App Letter

11-16-2012: My baby boy was born

11-19-2012: Biometrics Appointment

12-29-2012: AP Approved

01-04-2013: EAD Approved

01-10-2013: Combo Card Arrived

ceE0m5.png iZBZm5.png

O8N4m5.png Zn0gm5.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Are you on tricare or the medical? you should find out your options through your provider that you have been seeing for your pregnancy check ups really. They are changing a lot of the rules lately for birth and pregnancy things. your doctor will know your options.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Filed: Timeline

I am an Iraq/Afghanistan army veteran the VA covered both of my pregnancy. Since VA hospital do not have maternity or birthing department they contracted an outsider OBGYN for me who accepts VA insurance.

Your husband is the veteran so the VA may not be able to pay for your pregnancy expenses. But to make sure call the VA and they will give you an accurate answer.

In addition, once your husband get out of the Military he would get a 6 months extension from Tricare ... and it depends how many months you are now ... you can use Tricare to the civilian hospitals or civilian doctors untill your delivery as long as your are included on his tricare,

Timeline

In addition, once your husband get out of the Military he would get a 6 months extension from Tricare ... and it depends how many months you are now ... you can use Tricare to the civilian hospitals or civilian doctors untill your delivery as long as your are included on his tricare,

tricare prime doesn't cover civilian doctors or hospitals anymore unless you are an extremely dangerous pregnancy status. If she wants to see civ doctors or use hospitals outside the military hospitals she has to have tricare standard and pay out of pocket coverage fees.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

tricare prime doesn't cover civilian doctors or hospitals anymore unless you are an extremely dangerous pregnancy status. If she wants to see civ doctors or use hospitals outside the military hospitals she has to have tricare standard and pay out of pocket coverage fees.

That is so wrong. My wife and I are both on TRICARE PRIME. We only use civilian medical facilities. Just two weeks ago my wife was hospitalized (in patient), for intestinal problems. She spent five days in the hospital and our total bill was $55.

Fact is, that whether you use civilian medical facilities or not, is dependant upon the work load of the nearest military facility. Ours is completely full so they have you pick a civilian primary physcian. Once you have chosen a civilian primary care physician, you never have to go back to the military facility. I have been on TRICARE PRIME for 15 years and never used a military doctor. My wife and step daughter arrived in 2010, and have never been seen by a military doctor. My wife has had three surgeries in that time and TRICARE PRIME paid for all of them; they last two months ago for removal of an ovarian cyst, (our cost $11).

Edited by DaveE

Ooopppsss. I guessed the rule has changed because I was able to use mine on 2009.

But Im for sure since she is not the "soon to be veteran" the VA will not pay her pregnancy expenses its only for eligible women veterans.

Edited by superpotsky

Timeline

That is so wrong. My wife and I are both on TRICARE PRIME. We only use civilian medical facilities. Just two weeks ago my wife was hospitalized (in patient), for intestinal problems. She spent five days in the hospital and our total bill was $55.

Fact is, that whether you use civilian medical facilities or not, is dependant upon the work load of the nearest military facility. Ours is completely full so they have you pick a civilian primary physcian. Once you have chosen a civilian primary care physician, you never have to go back to the military facility. I have been on TRICARE PRIME for 15 years and never used a military doctor. My wife and step daughter arrived in 2010, and have never been seen by a military doctor. My wife has had three surgeries in that time and TRICARE PRIME paid for all of them; they last two months ago for removal of an ovarian cyst, (our cost $11).

Sorry but it is not wrong. It is a new recent change they are not allowed it anymore and getting referral to civ doctors is increasingly harder as days pass. Also i'm talking about PREGNANCY.

Edited by Inky

Sorry but it is not wrong. It is a new recent change they are not allowed it anymore and getting referral to civ doctors is increasingly harder as days pass. Also i'm talking about PREGNANCY.

Again, it depends on what capability your local military health care facility has. Mine has a full OB/GYN clinic and will not accept new patients. I work on a military base and just called our local tricare office in the base hospital, and they don't have a clue what you are talking about. They refer all new pregnancies to local OB/GYN clinics downtown, (even active duty military at the moment), and deliveries in the local civilian hospital.

Edited by DaveE

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

Well, to be honest I really don't understand any of this VA stuff. I'm only guiding by his word, that we will have no problems at all with doctors and stuff. I'm just 6weeks btw...

I placed my question 'cause I have my doubts about that system, just don't know any of it :(

Edited by Dante & Geor

10-24-2012: AOS, EAD, AP Sent

11-04-2012: NOA1 AOS, EAD, AP

11-06-2012: Biometrics App Letter

11-16-2012: My baby boy was born

11-19-2012: Biometrics Appointment

12-29-2012: AP Approved

01-04-2013: EAD Approved

01-10-2013: Combo Card Arrived

ceE0m5.png iZBZm5.png

O8N4m5.png Zn0gm5.png

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

Check with Tricare and the VA. Honestly, it changes so quickly I can't keep up with it. I gave birth in May and my g/f gave birth in August but between the time I had my first ultrasounds etc, the rules had changed for her.

So it's best to go straight to the source if in doubt especially with Tricare ... :star:

OUR JOURNEY SO FAR: (dd/mm/yyyy)

18/09/09 - CR1 NOA1

16/07/10 - POE LAX (256 days NOA1 to interview)

27/09/10 - Aussie/American bun in the oven due May 10, 2011

06/01/11 - Submitted change of address online to USCIS. Mailed I-865 for sponsor. Neverending!

05/05/11 - Bouncing baby boy arrives

10/07/12 - Sent I-751

13/07/12 - I-751 NOA1

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

Again, it depends on what capability your local military health care facility has. Mine has a full OB/GYN clinic and will not accept new patients. I work on a military base and just called our local tricare office in the base hospital, and they don't have a clue what you are talking about. They refer all new pregnancies to local OB/GYN clinics downtown, (even active duty military at the moment), and deliveries in the local civilian hospital.

I have to agree with DAVE. I am active military and my wife just got pregnant. She was given a referral off post. We plan to have a homebirth which tricare covers midwives that are on a approval list that they have.

Check with Tricare and the VA. Honestly, it changes so quickly I can't keep up with it. I gave birth in May and my g/f gave birth in August but between the time I had my first ultrasounds etc, the rules had changed for her.

So it's best to go straight to the source if in doubt especially with Tricare ... :star:

TRUE!!! Call the tricare office!

Wifey's Process

Married:----------------------------2003-09-17

I-130 Sent:-------------------------2011-09-30

I-130 NOA:--------------------------2011-10-07

I-130 RFE:--------------------------2011-11-12---Request German Marriage Certificate/w translation

Mailed in Marriage Cert:------------2011-11-21

Notified Cert not received:---------2012-01-03

Appt @ USCIS for Cert:--------------2012-01-11

I-130 Approved:---------------------2012-01-11

Interview Date:---------------------2012-02-01

Interview Result:-------------------Approved

Visa Received:----------------------2012-02-10

POE Baltimore:----------------------2012-02-22

Kids' Process

I-130 turned in:--------------------2012-02-01

Consulate unsure how to proceed-----2012-05-01--They have to research and consult higher headquarters

I-130's approved--------------------2012-05-21

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.