friedicecream123

Overstayers, share your experience here.

109 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Wow so you think if it serves your specific purpose then its ok to break the law. Well how about I go steal a 6 pack of bud because I am thirsty, its against the law to steal but I am thirsty and its not hurting anyone so its really ok.

Sometimes it's ok to steal a 6-pack of Bud when you're thirsty. Think Hurricane Katrina.

biden_pinhead.jpgspace.gifrolling-stones-american-flag-tongue.jpgspace.gifinside-geico.jpg

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Belize
Timeline

I think it's no one's place to judge others. Each of us have our own unique situation. I for one am an overstay, I came to this country when I was 12 on a visitor's visa, I was adopted by family members and was supposed to become an automatic US citizen via adoption. Turns out I was adopted 4 days after my 16th birthday and my petition was denied because it was after age 16. I finished H.S, got a track scholarship and went on to College. Now I'm 26, married with a kid and about to go for my AOS interview on Tuesday. Some of you may judge and say it's unfair, but believe me when I say living here illegally is not an easy task. Up to now, I haven't been able to do normal things: drive, have my own bank account, work etc. I've been in this country longer than I've been in my own country, I haven't seen my biological immediate family in 13 years. Those of you that did it the "right way" may think so what, but before you judge others think about why they did it. I had no control over my situation, I didn't even know what a greencard and citizenship was.

Good luck to me on Tuesday

09-26-05 Mailed AOS/EAD/130

12-23-05 Recieve Notice of Interview for 02-28-06 (77 days total)

02-28-06 AOS interview APPROVED stamp in passport (138 days total)

03-24-06 Welcome to America letter arrives.

03-28-06 Green Card Arrives error free

Removal of Conditions

12-01-07 Mailed I751 to VT (day 1)

11-13-08....Card Production Ordered (day 358)

N-400

03-16-2011 Mailed to Lewisville lockbox

03-17-2011 NOA date

03-23-2011 Check Cashed

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Italy
Timeline

Maria,

Immigration law is really confusing and was not written all at the same time, so some things seem out of balance to each other. It is too simple to say "this one followed the rules and this one didn't". People who are Adjusting Status are all in one big line, so what difference does it make if they are Adjusting from a K visa, a J visa, an F or a B (VWP)?

Because the rules are so complex, it's worth getting the proper information beforehand. For example, I'm curious why your husband didn't file his petition for you in Italy? Your case could've been completed (to an Immigrant Visa CR-1) in a matter of a couple of months, and you'd be coming in with your Green Card instead of needing to wait to Adjust Status. Both situations "follow the rules" but one is faster and more complete. Does that make the faster, more complete way 'wrong', or go around the rules?

I'm posting back to this because I don't want future readers to be confused about the OPs situation and think that she did something 'wrong'. Those who are convinced that she did better hope they never have to rely on the advice of a professional who does them wrong.

first off, I've never said she did something wrong (probably you did it) and secondly let me just tell you this:

my husband couldn't file the petition here in Rome because he is not a resident yet. It takes a lot of time for the residency here to come, its not like america. So if you are curious but don't know anything about other country's regulations/rules, just don't talk. Thirdly it takes a year before you get the CR1 visa here, sometimes even a year and a half and not a couple of months more than a K3. I am not in a hurry that I need the GC so bad. As a matter of fact I don't give a ####### about this, I got married and I wnated to stay in Italy but my husband wanted to bring me to the US and I have to follow him. Its not funny being 21 and leaving your family without a college degree and with no hopes for you future. You are probably 30 if not more and you didn't have to do this when you were younger, not as young as us at least. And by the way, I think Immigration has to decide on her case. They're there for that , aren't they? I don't know why you have to judge my K3 visa. I think it is PERFECTLY legal and it none of your business

Maria

Got married in Killeen, Texas on April 27 2004

*°K-3 Visa°*

Oct 12 2005 - Sent I-130 to NSC

Oct 24 2005 - NOA 1

Nov 7 2005 - Sent I-129F to Chicago

Nov 9 2005 - NOA 1

Dec 5 2005 - NOA 2 - I-129F Approved!!! (28 days)

Dec 13 2005 - Application Forwarded to NVC

Dec 16 2005 - Application received by the Consulate in Italy

Jan 4 2006 - Packet 3

Jan 10 2006 - Sent "Applicant's Statement" to Naples

Jan 27 2006 - Packet 4

Feb 22 2006 - Medical and Interview

Feb 22 2006 - Interview... APPROVED Got the Visa!!!

Mar 2 2006 - I-130 case *touched*

Mar 6 2006 - RFE for the I-130 (Marriage Certificate)

Mar 14 2006 - Sent RFE to CSC

Mar 21 2006 - RFE received by CSC

Mar 30 2006 - Detroit POE - Got the I-94

Mar 31 2006 - I-130 NOA 2 - APPROVED!!! (170 days)

*°AOS°*

Mar 31 2006 - I-765 sent to Chicago

Apr 5 2006 - I-765 NOA1

Apr 7 2006 - Vaccination Supplement appt. in Cleveland

Apr 13 2006 - EAD Biometrics Appointment Letter

Apr 18 2006 - EAD Biometrics in Pittsburg

Apr 22 2006 - I-485 sent to Chicago lockbox

Apr 28 2006 - I-485 NOA1

May 3 2006 - EAD Approved!! (33 days)

May 5 2006 - EAC received (NOA2)

May 5 2006 - AOS Biometrics Appointment Letter

May 8 2006 - Applied for Social Security Number

May 11 2006 - AOS Biometrics Appointment in Pittsburgh

May 18 2006 - Social Security Card arrived in the mail

May 18 2006 - Interview Appointment Letter

May 31 2006 - Flew back to Italy

Jun 24 2006 - I-485 *touched*

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Maria, I'm afraid you've taken my words the opposite way of how I intended. I'm not judging your path at all, and I have no complaint about what you did.

I'm sorry you were offended. That is not what I intended.

(L) meauxna

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

Timeline

I'm not offended at all, you don't need to be sorry. I was just making my point....as you said immigration rules are pretty tough and they're not a joke. Believe me, I am tired of dealing with this. My life is controlled, our life is controlled, we need to prove this, we need to prove that. You have no privacy, everything you do as a couple needs to be documentated. Sometimes it feels like I'm a prison or something. And most of these things affect the marriage too. I see a lot of couples here in Italy and they live normally, the way wo should but we CAN'T because immigration is always right by our side to keep our company. I have never killed anybody, I have never committed a crime or anything like that. I love to respect people and I love to be respected by them, I am just a normal person....and still I am asking myself why I need to report everything I do to them like I am in jail.

I apologize If I was kind of upset before, I didn't mean that

Maria

*°K-3 Visa°*

Oct 24 2005 - NOA 1

Nov 9 2005 - NOA 1

Jan 4 2006 - Packet 3

Jan 27 2006 - Packet 4

*°AOS°*

Apr 5 2006 - I-765 NOA1

Apr 28 2006 - I-485 NOA1

first off, I've never said she did something wrong (probably you did it) and secondly let me just tell you this:

my husband couldn't file the petition here in Rome because he is not a resident yet. It takes a lot of time for the residency here to come, its not like america. So if you are curious but don't know anything about other country's regulations/rules, just don't talk. Thirdly it takes a year before you get the CR1 visa here, sometimes even a year and a half and not a couple of months more than a K3. I am not in a hurry that I need the GC so bad. As a matter of fact I don't give a ####### about this, I got married and I wnated to stay in Italy but my husband wanted to bring me to the US and I have to follow him. Its not funny being 21 and leaving your family without a college degree and with no hopes for you future. You are probably 30 if not more and you didn't have to do this when you were younger, not as young as us at least. And by the way, I think Immigration has to decide on her case. They're there for that , aren't they? I don't know why you have to judge my K3 visa. I think it is PERFECTLY legal and it none of your business

Maria

yeah I agree that in italy they can make you wait for yeaaars :wacko::wacko:

I'm not offended at all, you don't need to be sorry. I was just making my point....as you said immigration rules are pretty tough and they're not a joke. Believe me, I am tired of dealing with this. My life is controlled, our life is controlled, we need to prove this, we need to prove that. You have no privacy, everything you do as a couple needs to be documentated. Sometimes it feels like I'm a prison or something. And most of these things affect the marriage too. I see a lot of couples here in Italy and they live normally, the way wo should but we CAN'T because immigration is always right by our side to keep our company. I have never killed anybody, I have never committed a crime or anything like that. I love to respect people and I love to be respected by them, I am just a normal person....and still I am asking myself why I need to report everything I do to them like I am in jail.

I apologize If I was kind of upset before, I didn't mean that

Maria

I know what you mean I hate the fact i gotta prove all the time that I married him cause i love him and not cause i wanted to come in the US. But you know it wont always be like that. Once you'll get your papers straight u can forget about them for a while! Its hard at first but not impossible. Email me if u wanna talk about it :):) ciao

Filed: Timeline
I was just making my point....as you said immigration rules are pretty tough and they're not a joke. Believe me, I am tired of dealing with this. My life is controlled, our life is controlled, we need to prove this, we need to prove that. You have no privacy, everything you do as a couple needs to be documentated. Sometimes it feels like I'm a prison or something. And most of these things affect the marriage too. I see a lot of couples here in Italy and they live normally, the way wo should but we CAN'T because immigration is always right by our side to keep our company. I have never killed anybody, I have never committed a crime or anything like that. I love to respect people and I love to be respected by them, I am just a normal person....and still I am asking myself why I need to report everything I do to them like I am in jail.

You make it seem as if Immigration is purposely picking on you only, when in reality, all they're doing is making sure you and every other immigrant that comes here follows the law and does so for the right reasons/purposes, and not to get immigration benefits only.

You should not complain and blame the Agency for being how they are and doing things the way they do, but should instead complain and blame the thousands of immigrants that come here with ulterior motives and/or purposely try to circumvent US immigration laws to their advantage, for example by marrying USCs fraudulently or using/abusing Immigration laws to their favor, thus being the ones really making things harder, lengthier and frustrating for legit immigrants such as yourself.

Timeline

You make it seem as if Immigration is purposely picking on you only, when in reality, all they're doing is making sure you and every other immigrant that comes here follows the law and does so for the right reasons/purposes, and not to get immigration benefits only.

You should not complain and blame the Agency for being how they are and doing things the way they do, but should instead complain and blame the thousands of immigrants that come here with ulterior motives and/or purposely try to circumvent US immigration laws to their advantage, for example by marrying USCs fraudulently or using/abusing Immigration laws to their favor, thus being the ones really making things harder, lengthier and frustrating for legit immigrants such as yourself.

I actually don't make anything, unless you have something to make.....I don't blame anyone, I don't care. Why should I? I didn't say anything about the Agency (do you see the word "agency" in my post?) I'm just complaining about the service, that's it. I don't know why I have to pay a lot of money and even feel like I'm in prison. You can see that this doesn't make any sense at all. By the way, I don't think there're a lot of fraudulent marriages nowadays. Its impossible to cheat with these laws (as you said). I also think that Immigration has its own fault in all this situation...think how many contrasting immigration laws there are.....

*°K-3 Visa°*

Oct 24 2005 - NOA 1

Nov 9 2005 - NOA 1

Jan 4 2006 - Packet 3

Jan 27 2006 - Packet 4

*°AOS°*

Apr 5 2006 - I-765 NOA1

Apr 28 2006 - I-485 NOA1

Filed: Timeline
I actually don't make anything, unless you have something to make.....I don't blame anyone, I don't care. Why should I? I didn't say anything about the Agency (do you see the word "agency" in my post?) I'm just complaining about the service, that's it. I don't know why I have to pay a lot of money and even feel like I'm in prison. You can see that this doesn't make any sense at all. By the way, I don't think there're a lot of fraudulent marriages nowadays. Its impossible to cheat with these laws (as you said).

Doesn't the Agency provide the service you're so much complaining about?

And you'd be surprised at how many immigrants marry solely to obtain a green card.

Timeline

Doesn't the Agency provide the service you're so much complaining about?

And you'd be surprised at how many immigrants marry solely to obtain a green card.

Do you work for the USCIS? I don't know why you're so angry that I'm complaining then.....that can be the only explanation, plus the fact that you don't have aeither any timeline or information on your profile....

Anyways, if you could stop being against me, that would help thanks

Maria

*°K-3 Visa°*

Oct 24 2005 - NOA 1

Nov 9 2005 - NOA 1

Jan 4 2006 - Packet 3

Jan 27 2006 - Packet 4

*°AOS°*

Apr 5 2006 - I-765 NOA1

Apr 28 2006 - I-485 NOA1

Filed: Country: Sweden
Timeline
You are probably 30 if not more and you didn't have to do this when you were younger, not as young as us at least.

Did I hear a glove thrown down? Why Meaxna, I believe you're not a day over 29.

(Maria -- this is all in good fun -- I'm not making light of *your* age or immigration experience.)

"When all else fails, read the instructions."

Timeline

You are probably 30 if not more and you didn't have to do this when you were younger, not as young as us at least.

Did I hear a glove thrown down? Why Meaxna, I believe you're not a day over 29.

(Maria -- this is all in good fun -- I'm not making light of *your* age or immigration experience.)

I didn't throw anything.....I didn't know he/she was 29 and I think I got pretty close anyways :P

This about your immigration experience and I'll think about my thanks

Maria

*°K-3 Visa°*

Oct 24 2005 - NOA 1

Nov 9 2005 - NOA 1

Jan 4 2006 - Packet 3

Jan 27 2006 - Packet 4

*°AOS°*

Apr 5 2006 - I-765 NOA1

Apr 28 2006 - I-485 NOA1

Filed: Country: Sweden
Timeline
What has age got to do with anything???? or am I missing something here???

Kezzie

It doesn't. I was just poking fun. For us "old farts" over the <gasp> age of 30.

I don't think anyone is getting my joke though. That's OK, it's still funny to me.

Edited by hcj

"When all else fails, read the instructions."

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

well the OP has left the stage so the thread was hijacked and is now not even relating to Overstayers experiences *sigh* Any other overstayers brave enough to start the thread anew? :huh: it would interesting to see experiences under those circumstances especially since this site is to be used to post *ALL* immigration experiences good, bad and ugly.

MARRIED MAY 2003

Submitted AOS July 2003

Received NOA August 2004

Several EADs in the process

Interview July 2005 (waiting on approval, & waiting & waiting *sigh* are we there yet?)

Submitted renewal of 3rd EAD Sept 05

Biometrics for EAD renewal Oct 26th (3 hour drive) even though there is an ASC 15 mins from my house... no appts available there :(

Oct 27th - Sent strong letter to District Director requesting a decision*** Hope this works :(

October 29th - Sent letter to congressman for help.

AOS Approved - Email Notice Nov 17th it's about bloody time... *sipping on my Guinness*

Nov 18th --- Welcome to America Letter received...

Nov 19th 10 year Green Card received in the mail.... Good bye USCIS .. until Citizenship

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.