bhm

Denial of Citizenship

61 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Cambodia
Timeline

:ot: I wish I don't open this thread.

It made me scared of the fact that there is any mistake along the way. Who know those 5 years, I made several DMV visits, I might check citizen or any DMV employees chose it for me. I don't remember at any point I purposely considered myself as a USC. I never made any check if it is on the list. My N-400 bio is done. waiting for interview.

Any one share the same concern ?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

I highly doubt they will deport someone for mistakenly marking off citizen when applying for a federal job, it's not like he got accepted. I'm sure a good attorney can sort all this out. It was just a misunderstanding. People make mistakes.

They can, and they do. It wasn't a misunderstanding. He knew he wasn't a citizen and said he was. There is no plainer way they can put it than "are you a US citizen". He didn't "think he was a US citizen". He knew he wasn't and he still said he was. He was foolish, yes it was a mistake, a REALLY bad mistake and now it's most likely going to end in his revocation of resident status and deportation.

A previous example I used was buying a house. It is like he was buying a house and during negotiations he decided to move into the house, after all he WAS going to buy it. That sounds ridiculous because it IS ridiculous...

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

It made me scared of the fact that there is any mistake along the way. Who know those 5 years, I made several DMV visits, I might check citizen or any DMV employees chose it for me. I don't remember at any point I purposely considered myself as a USC. I never made any check if it is on the list. My N-400 bio is done. waiting for interview.

No I really don't... though I'm at the earlier stage of the process. Because I know these sorts of things can happen now (didn't know about the auto-tick of forms or the school filling in the forms) I can be more vigilant. People don't realise how big a deal it is for us immigrants. Just yesterday online someone said to me that i was a citizen because I married a citizen. He was adamant. I assured him I was NOT a citizen, that claiming to be one when I'm not carries big penalties and explained the process to him. He was shocked as he (over 40+ years old) was convinced that was just how it works, he was also convinced that illegal mum's don't get deported 'cause their kids are USC, and said that you can't be deported if you're married to a citizen. It's just amazing how much misinformation and incorrect knowledge is out there.

Timeline

To the top. Any care to share ?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

To the top. Any care to share ?

No. But it is one of the reasons I have always made it a policy that I fill out ALL forms of any type for anyone in this family. That means college applications of which we are up to about 100 or so (maybe exagerating but only a bit)drivers license renewals (I caught one mistake with our oldest son)income tax, etc. It is just something you have to be very careful about. It is another reason I am glad Alla's and Pasha's citizenship is done. It is a big relief.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

No. But it is one of the reasons I have always made it a policy that I fill out ALL forms of any type for anyone in this family. That means college applications of which we are up to about 100 or so (maybe exagerating but only a bit)drivers license renewals (I caught one mistake with our oldest son)income tax, etc. It is just something you have to be very careful about. It is another reason I am glad Alla's and Pasha's citizenship is done. It is a big relief.

Same thing here, when I go to Venezuela or Colombia, dead lost, not only with their language, but their laws as well. But my wife is my personal interpreter and explains to me what is going on. Really don't get that, can reply with a three word sentence, but seems like she is answering for hours in Spanish. Here, I am the boss knowing our laws, grew up with it, so anything to do with any applications governmental or otherwise would give at least a quick glance. In particular living in a state that has far more immigration laws than the federal government.

Got me to thinking about this BS about local control, when speaking to our school administrator, couldn't give me a simple answer, had to check with Madison first, then Madison has to check with Washington.

Only thing I can say about local control is on my tax bill, pay taxes to the city, township, county, state, and federal government. So why do I have to pay taxes to all these idiots in between? They don't have the power to do anything without asking their daddy first.

Oh and those people the governor appointed to head our immigration department, they never even heard of the USCIS. But they did help him get elected.

Filed: Timeline

After reading about the auto click on the driver's license I went to the DMV today to see about my license. They referred me to to courthouse to see if I was registered to vote. They assured me I wasn't which of course I knew anyway but it's peace of mind knowing that my name isn't connected to the voting registrar via DMV by inadvertant means. I seriously doubt this would have been an issue as something like that is so very ambigious the applicant for citizenship surely couldn't be held responsible if they had no clue.

Timeline

After reading about the auto click on the driver's license I went to the DMV today to see about my license. They referred me to to courthouse to see if I was registered to vote. They assured me I wasn't which of course I knew anyway but it's peace of mind knowing that my name isn't connected to the voting registrar via DMV by inadvertant means. I seriously doubt this would have been an issue as something like that is so very ambigious the applicant for citizenship surely couldn't be held responsible if they had no clue.

What did you find out at the courthouse?

Do you think it's better to stay cool ? would digging out the info at the courthouse might trigger anything negative ?

Filed: Timeline

No ChetT, I was glad I went to confirm that I wasn't registered to vote via the DMV. I wasn't the least bit worried about opening a can of worms cause I've done nothing wrong and I have nothing to hide. When I went to the courthouse I explained what I'd read here on the forum about the DMV having an auto check to register people to vote when they get their license.I explained that I wasn't a citizen and if such a thing could possibly happen I wanted to correct it right away as I'm not allowed to be shown or claim to be a citizen in any way at all. The people there were very nice and understanding. They merely looked for my name and address on their computer system. They found my husband in a matter of seconds but not me so I wasn't registered. I thanked them and left. They were very understanding and double checked with each other to make sure all was OK. I was in the office for no longer than 2 minutes total. It was that fast. Worth the check to be sure. If you are worried at all go and check at your local courthouse at the voters registration records office. If you're still not sure, go to your local DMV office and ask them about it. They will direct you where to go to check.

Timeline

No ChetT, I was glad I went to confirm that I wasn't registered to vote via the DMV. I wasn't the least bit worried about opening a can of worms cause I've done nothing wrong and I have nothing to hide. When I went to the courthouse I explained what I'd read here on the forum about the DMV having an auto check to register people to vote when they get their license.I explained that I wasn't a citizen and if such a thing could possibly happen I wanted to correct it right away as I'm not allowed to be shown or claim to be a citizen in any way at all. The people there were very nice and understanding. They merely looked for my name and address on their computer system. They found my husband in a matter of seconds but not me so I wasn't registered. I thanked them and left. They were very understanding and double checked with each other to make sure all was OK. I was in the office for no longer than 2 minutes total. It was that fast. Worth the check to be sure. If you are worried at all go and check at your local courthouse at the voters registration records office. If you're still not sure, go to your local DMV office and ask them about it. They will direct you where to go to check.

Thank you so much. This is the first thing I would do in the morning. :thumbs:

• 1 year later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Anguilla
Timeline

What ever became of this situation, I wonder :unsure:

2 year Cond-GC anniv.: 07-15-12

I-751 mailed: 06-23-12

I-751rec'd: 06-25-12 @ 21:30 hrs

NOA dated 06-25-12

Check cashed: 06-26-12

Filed service request for non-receipt of biometrics appt: 07-30-12

Biometrics appt. notice received: 08-09-12

Biometrics appt. scheduled: 08-24-12

Biometrics taken (walk-in) 08-23-12

Approved: 02-19-13

Card Ordered: 02-21-13

Card Mailed: 02-25-13

Card Rec'd: 02-28-13

N-400 Filing window opens: 04-16-13

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

N-400 mailed: 04-16-13

N-400 received: 04-18-13

NOA Priority date(when they entered it into system) 04-18-13

Check cashed: 04-23-13

NOA Recv'd: 04-26-13

Biometrics: 05-13-13

Interview: 07-29-13 APPROVED

Oath: 09-25-13

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

This reminded me about my case. Several times I had something to do with DMV while I was LPR only, I was about to check off the "register to vote" box, but my husband stopped me simply because he doesn't like political . I just did what my husband wants, never think twice about my immigration status at all. Thank God that I've listened to my husband, or else I must have been in trouble for my N-400 interview already. I had my Oath ceremony last week, but still don't dare to register to vote yet, let them update my status for a little while then I will do so. I don't want to take any chances to risk all our efforts to be USC, this path was too long and painful!!!!

Good luck to bhm.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Didn't you or your husband looked at the n-400 application after it was filled out. As for me, i looked over my wife's AOS and 1-751 application to make sure they were correct and see if there were any mistakes. I made sure that everything was correct. I even look at it 3 times to be sure i didn't missed anything. If you can afford it, you should get a good lawyer that is a expert in this field. Sorry, but it is also your fault for not looking at the application to make sure that it was correct since you are the usc. I am sorry for saying that it was also your fault for not looking over the application. I hope that with a good lawyer, everything will be ok. Good luck to you.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.