fabio

marriage of us citizen girl

68 posts in this topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Off topic and Out of curiosity, what countries "have you found" that allow brothers and sisters to marry.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laws_regarding_incest

I-130

2011-08-20 Posted

2011-08-31 NOA1

2011-09-03 Touch

2011-11-18 Sent Expedite Request to USCIS

2011-12-09 Response Received for Exepedite Request

"Wait your turn" in a nutshell

2011-12-02 Sent Expedite Request to US Representative Ed Royce

2012-01-27 Sent Expedite Request to Immigration Ombudsman

2012-02-02 Sent Expedite Request to Senator Barbara Boxer

2012-02-02 Sent Expedite Request to Senator Dianne Feinstein

2012-03-08 Case transferred to field office for additional processing

2012-03-23 Now being processed at a USCIS office

2012-05-10 Transferred to another office for processing

2012-05-14 Now being processed at a USCIS office

2012-06-05 Approved NOA2

2012-07-17 NVC Case/Invoice # Received

Petitioner: US Born Citizen (Wife)

Beneficiary: British Born Citizen (Husband)

Your I-130 was approved in 279 days from your NOA1 date

Filed: Timeline

K1 Visa

Service Center: Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Islamabad, Pakistan

I-129F Sent : 2011-09-23

I-129F NOA1 : 2011-09-27

I-129F NOA2 : 2012-01-18

NVC Received : 2012-02-02

NVC Left : 2012-02-06

Consulate Received: 2012-02-07

Packet 3 Received : 2012-02-21

Packet 3 Sent : 2012-02-27

Packet 4 Received : 2012-03-02

Interview Date : 2012-03-27

Interview Result : Approved

Visa Received : 2012-04-06

US Entry : 2012-04-29

Marriage : 2012-05-24

Comments : Happily married! :)

I-129f was approved in 113 days from your NOA1 date.

Interview took 182 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

We have our own sensitivities to marrying a cousin here in the US, but in other parts of the world it's relatively common, and sometimes promoted as the OP pointed out. Cousin marriage has only been illegal in Texas since 2005. A relatively new situation.

Although the laws here in the US, and in their state in particular, will drive the allowability of this, we shouldn't let our US-centric sensitivity lead us to making moral judgements, or statements based on our view of what is "acceptable".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cousin_marriage

Some countries punish it but some not. But it is illegal in most (if not all) countries.

From that link I only found BRAZIL to allow it. But it still doesn't state 'brother and sister'.

In Brazil, incest is considered any kind of sexual interaction between two blood related human beings. It has no criminal punishment if the involved are over the age of 14, capable of acting upon their legal rights, and that consent means that the relationship is absent of any kind of coercion or fraud. An uncle or aunt is allowed to have a relationship with a nephew or niece provided that they have a health check.[5]
Portugal

Incest is not specifically prohibited under Portuguese law

Russia

Israel

Incest is legal in Israel.[29]

Japan

Incest is legal in Japan.

But that's a WIKIPEDIA article. SO don't believe anything that's up there. :)

K1 Visa

We have our own sensitivities to marrying a cousin here in the US, but in other parts of the world it's relatively common, and sometimes promoted as the OP pointed out. Cousin marriage has only been illegal in Texas since 2005. A relatively new situation.

Although the laws here in the US, and in their state in particular, will drive the allowability of this, we shouldn't let our US-centric sensitivity lead us to making moral judgements, or statements based on our view of what is "acceptable".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cousin_marriage

• The frequency of cousin marriages in the USA is about 1 in 1,000. The frequency of cousin marriages in Japan is about 4 in 1,000
  • It is estimated that 20 percent of all couples worldwide are first cousins. It is also estimated that 80 percent of all marriages historically have been between first cousins!
  • In some cultures, the term cousin and mate are synonymous.
  • Albert Einstein married his first cousin. And so did Charles Darwin, who had exceptional children.
  • Franklin D. Roosevelt, the longest serving US president in history married his cousin (not a first cousin, however they shared the same last name).
  • Leviticus 18 lists all forbidden sexual relationships. Cousin relationships are not included.
  • God commanded many cousins to marry, including Zelophehad's 5 daughters, Eleazar's daughters, Jacob (who married both Rachel and Leah, first cousins), and Isaac and Rebekkah (first cousins once removed)
  • It is likely that Joseph and Mary -- Christ's earthly parents were first cousins.
  • Current studies indicate that cousin couples have a lower ratio of miscarriages -- perhaps because body chemistry of cousins is more similar. The verdict is still out.
  • We are all cousins. No two people are more distantly related than 50th cousins.

http://www.cousincouples.com/?page=facts

Edited by Imagination

K1 Visa

Filed: FB-2 Visa Country: Jordan
Timeline

• The frequency of cousin marriages in the USA is about 1 in 1,000. The frequency of cousin marriages in Japan is about 4 in 1,000
  • It is estimated that 20 percent of all couples worldwide are first cousins. It is also estimated that 80 percent of all marriages historically have been between first cousins!
  • In some cultures, the term cousin and mate are synonymous.
  • Albert Einstein married his first cousin. And so did Charles Darwin, who had exceptional children.
  • Franklin D. Roosevelt, the longest serving US president in history married his cousin (not a first cousin, however they shared the same last name).
  • Leviticus 18 lists all forbidden sexual relationships. Cousin relationships are not included.
  • God commanded many cousins to marry, including Zelophehad's 5 daughters, Eleazar's daughters, Jacob (who married both Rachel and Leah, first cousins), and Isaac and Rebekkah (first cousins once removed)
  • It is likely that Joseph and Mary -- Christ's earthly parents were first cousins.
  • Current studies indicate that cousin couples have a lower ratio of miscarriages -- perhaps because body chemistry of cousins is more similar. The verdict is still out.
  • We are all cousins. No two people are more distantly related than 50th cousins.

http://www.cousincouples.com/?page=facts

My friends as I said before

in our culture the Arabs (the middle east ) we recommend and prefer the first cousin marriage

any way I am going to do it as we did it before in my family

Wow I apologize. I had always thought you couldn't marry your first cousin, maybe because I was raised in Texas? I will make sure to check my facts more closely next time. completely off topic, I have also found that some countries allow brother and sister to marry.....hmmmmmm.

:ot: but just to clear up a few points for others:

Btw, brother and sister are not the same as cousins. And Even with the link provided by someone, it does not say that they are allowed to marry.

Cousins marriage is not limited to "some" countries. Historically 80% of all couples were first cousins. The Bible has a great deal to say about cousin marriage, and not once does it say anything negative. To the contrary, all references to cousin marriage in scripture are 100% supportive.

All 3 major religions of the world: Judaism, Christianity and Islam allows cousin marriages. The rule is one shall not marry or have sexual relations with:

father, mother, grandfather, grandmother, great-grandfather, great-grandmother and so on;

brother, sister;

son, grandson, great-grandson, daughter, grand-daughter, great-grand-daughter;

uncle, aunt, great-uncle, great-aunt, and so on;

nephew, niece, grandnephew, grandniece, great-grandnephew, great-grandniece and so on;

father-in-law, mother-in-law;

son-in-law, daughter-in-law,

stepfather (mother's husband) if their marriage is consummated, stepmother (father's wife) if their marriage is consummated;

stepson (husband's son) if their marriage is consummated, stepdaughter (wife's daughter) if their marriage is consummated;

If anyone is interested in a list of well-known cousin couples, here's the link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_coupled_cousins

My friends as I said before

in our culture the Arabs (the middle east ) we recommend and prefer the first cousin marriage

any way I am going to do it as we did it before in my family

I am fully supportive. :thumbs:

K1 Visa

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.