charnockp2

Just wondering.... (work permit)

10 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

I'm a guy who moved to the US in December last year to be with my fiancee, now wife. For those who have done the same (K-1) I just wanted to know...

While waiting for your EAD or green card in order to be able to work, what did you do? I mean, how did you spend your time? Is there anything I can do, or should be doing?

Because the waiting is driving me crazy! In a few weeks I won't have worked for 5 months, though I have been doing voluntary stuff here. But not only that, I can tell that my wife, who is unhappy in her current job, is beginning to resent me for the fact that I don't have to work. Well not that I don't have to, I just can't.

I'm bored and not appreciating the stress that this situation is putting on us.

Can anyone give me any advice?

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Are you job hunting?

My wife's EAD took 61 days. Depending on your career level and profession you may possibly find a company that is willing to make a commitment to you know and you begin working when you get your card.

Also, have dinner ready for her when she gets home, that should stave off some of the resentment.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Take up some extra hobbys, join a gym and work out extra days or join some fun classes at the gym, good way to meet some people too.

Make sure the house is extra clean when ur spouse gets home. Do some nice little things / surprises for when she comes home.

Polish up a resume so that its ready for when you go out to look for jobs.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

Take up some extra hobbys, join a gym and work out extra days or join some fun classes at the gym, good way to meet some people too.

Make sure the house is extra clean when ur spouse gets home. Do some nice little things / surprises for when she comes home.

Polish up a resume so that its ready for when you go out to look for jobs.

Yeah yeah, I do almost all the housework and cooking just so I don't feel quite so bad as I already do :-)

I'm at the gym pretty much everyday and I volunteer 3 times a week, and the resume is up to date! So I'm trying to keep busy.

I think I'm just sick of spending money and not making anything, or not being useful in any way if you get me?

Wish there was a go faster button :-)

I haven't yet but I've been thinking about applying for jobs anyway. My concern is that they show interest, but then are like Oh, you're not permitted to work? See ya, we need someone now. Like, I don't wanna blow my chance at a company I really want to work for.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Yeah yeah, I do almost all the housework and cooking just so I don't feel quite so bad as I already do :-)

I'm at the gym pretty much everyday and I volunteer 3 times a week, and the resume is up to date! So I'm trying to keep busy.

I think I'm just sick of spending money and not making anything, or not being useful in any way if you get me?

Wish there was a go faster button :-)

I haven't yet but I've been thinking about applying for jobs anyway. My concern is that they show interest, but then are like Oh, you're not permitted to work? See ya, we need someone now. Like, I don't wanna blow my chance at a company I really want to work for.

I get you and it seems you do all my ideas that I do too LOL - I'm a house wife and i still feel guilty that he brings money in then I go spend it on grocerys etc.

( i had a job for a while, it took me 1.5 years to get it and it ended up just not working out, that makes me feel even worse about the money issue )

I do a lot of the yard work and gardening too to spend time doing things I like, also if my neighbor is having trouble mowing the lawn or getting someone to help mow the lawn ill help them out ( we have an elderly neighbor who sometimes just doesn't have the energy to upkeep their yard. )

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I know EXACTLY how you feel :( I am currently 8 months pregnant so can't do anything anyway BUT sometimes I feel like such a burden.

My husband works 5/6 days a week, 10-12 hour shifts each time so I try my best to do what I can around the house...which he doesn't like at all because I AM pregnant.

But I am the type of person who gets bored very easily and need to be doing something with my brain.

I think that they should allow us to work as soon as we marry our significant other. We already have to pay all the money for the K-1 then they expect us to pay a lot more for AOS when there is only 1 person working. I know this is just the rules but we all need to vent sometimes!!

I hope everything works out for you guys...just stick in there and try to remember the end result! You have came this far already and it may seem like a long time but it will all sort itself out eventually.

July 11 2011 - I-129F Sent
July 14 2011 - I-129F Received at Dallas Lockbox
July 21 2011 - NOA1 Received (dated July 14th)
Oct 13 2011 - NOA2!!! biggrin.png (NO RFE's)
Oct 25 2011 - NVC Received
Oct 26 2011 - Got Case Number
Oct 27 2011 - NVC Sent Case to London
Oct 31 2011 - London Received Case
Nov 11 2011 - Recieved Packet 3
Nov 14 2011 - Packet 3 Sent
Nov 21 2011 - Medical
Dec 2 2011 - Packet 4 Received
Dec 12 2011 - Interview!! 8.30am
Dec 12 2011 - APPROVED!! biggrin.png!
Dec 15 2011 - Received passport with shiney new visa and HUGE white envelope.
Dec 19 2011 - Travel to US: POE Newark
Feb 14 2012 - Married smile.png Now need to wait for baby Marcus to be born. Due date April 27th.
May 4 2012 - Baby Marcus born!!

March 14 2013 - AOS Application Sent smile.png
March 18 2013 - USCIS received date.
March 25 2013 - USCIS notice date. Receipt #MSC1390000000.
April 13 2013 - RFE Received for Copy of Birth Certificate.
April 18 2013 - RFE Replied.
April 23 2013 - Biometrics.

May 28 2013 - EAD Approved
May 31 2013 - Card production ordered.

June 3 2013 - Card Mailed, expected delivery date June 5.

September 25th 2013 - Became an official resident!!

October 5th 2013 - Green Card Received.

August 24 2015 - I-751 for Removal of conditions received by California Service Center.

August 24 2015 - NOA Receipt Date.

September 24 2015 - Biometrics.

I just went through it myself and it is not fun. I had 4 months of nothing to do, and I nearly went crazy. It can be hard on the marriage for the reasons you mentioned. It sounds like you have done well to find things to keep you occupied. For me, a new puppy kept me busy, and Netflix was my friend! I assume you have your SSN already? I spent time applying for jobs and doorknocking for work, and found one that was happy to wait until I had my EAD, so I was able to start three days after the card arrived.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Maybe spending money on the gym right now isn't a great idea unless its super cheap. She might be resenting that she's paying for it. I know this sounds bad but you can't be expected to work without a permit. It's unreasonable to resent you because she is unfulfilled in her job. Is it that she wants to quit while you work? How would your getting a job alleviate the stress she is feeling at work? You won't be able to change that just by working. It seems as if she wants you to take some off load by trading places. She may also be feeling as if she has too many responsibilities. In this process this should be expected and planned for. However, an unhappy job situation and a spouse not able to work can put a damper on good intentions and plans. Talk with her. Find out what's going on and how she thinks you can help as you wait on your EAD. Console her and let her know how much you appreciate her for being so supportive and that you admire her tenacity and strength. Get her a postcard that expresses your love and recognition of her hard work. Candle light her dinner tonight and speak from your heart.

This too shall past. All the best.

Edited by kcoyclay1

STANLEY & KAREN
01/15/2009 - Fedex I-130, I-485, I-693, I-864, I-765, G-325A
01/20/2009 - Received in mail-room and signed for by J CHYBA
01/28/2009 - Checks cashed by Homeland Security
02/02/2009 - Received in mail 3 pcs of NOA1 one each for I-485, I-130, I-765 dated 01/28/2009
02/03/2009 - Received email RFE. What did I not send now, whew!
02/09/2009 - Received mails for initial evidence and Biometric appointment (02/19/2009); mailed evidence
02/19/2009 - biometrics done - in a out in 45 minutes
03/14/2009 - Receive NOA2 dated 03/10/2009. AOS interview April 29, 2009
03/18/2009 - Touched. EAD Card production ordered
03/25/2009 - Touched. EAD approval sent
03/27/2009 - EAD card received in the mail; applied for SS# immediately (office is across the street from my home)
04/02/2009 - Received SS# in the mail
04/29/2009 - Interviewed. I- 130 approved, I-485 pending IO's review
05/05/2009 - Received NOA2. Welcome letter for Permanent Residency. I-130 and I-485 approved 04/30/2009
05/08/2009 - Touched. I-485 approval letter sent
05/11/2009 - GC received in the mail. Expires 2019
05/11/2009 - Applied to remove restrictions on my SS Card
05/18/2009 - Received unrestricted SS card

10/13/2009 - My darling husband of 2 yrs 5 months 3 weeks 3 days passed away :(

Naturalization Process (5 Yrs Later) :goofy:

Mar 28, 2014 - Mailed N-400
Apr 08, 2014 - Check cashed
Apr 09, 2014 - Receive Notice letter Priority date April 3, 2014
Apr 11, 2014 - Touched - Email - Biometrics letter mailed
May 08, 2014 - Biometrics done
May 12, 2014 - Touched - Email - In line for interview scheduling
July 12, 2014 - Pre-interview letter (Yellow letter) received in mail
Aug 20, 2014 - Touched - Email - Interview scheduled
Aug 25, 2014 - Interview scheduled for Sept. 24, 2014
Sept 24, 2014 - Passed interview
Oct 06, 2014 - Touched - Email - In oath scheduling que
Oct 08, 2014 - Touched - Text - Oath ceremony scheduled
Oct 14, 2014 - Received letter - Oath ceremony Oct 28, 2014
Oct 28, 2014 - I AM A US CITIZEN! :joy: :joy: :joy:
Nov 12, 2014 - Updated my status from permanent resident to citizen at Social Security
Nov 14, 2014 - Applied for US passport
Nov 29, 2014 - Received US passport book
Dec 01, 2014 - Received Passport card
Dec 04, 2014 - Received Naturalization Certificate

--------------------
KayCee

Ccut.jpg.png

I am in the same position as you also! I understand how you feel completely... Feeling useless, waiting around and wishing there was something to do at times but as Julie said you came this far! We made this many sacrifices already not much that longer and you will be back in work again! For now keep busy the best you can, even going for walks helps me sometimes! :)

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline

im glad im not the only one who has the im bored issue. and thanks to charnockp2 for starting the conversation. i know just to well how you all feel. my fiance,we getting married on monday, is working like crazy since we just have his income. i do my best to keep the house clean and wash his clothes and cook. but i really miss working having co workers and a daily routine. cuz everyday is the question what im going to do today.i dont wanna use the car as much because gas is getting so high and when i go out i end up spending money.

im lucky that we have a lil gym in the apt. complex and a pool.so i go and work out there. but im thinking i have to go like 3more months until i get my working permit what can i do.

my fiance is great when he has a day off he makes sure to do fun things with me and get me out and makes couple dates with his co workers so i meet new people and can make my friends..

but what can i do for the daily routine ???

Visa Journey:

K1:

Service Center: Vermont Service Center

Consulate: Frankfurt, Germany

I-129F Sent: 10-13-2010

I-129F NOA1: 10-18-2010

I-129F NOA2: 04-05-2011

Consulate Received: 04-15-2011

Packet 3 Received: 04-29-2011

Packet 3 Sent: 04-30-2011

Packet 4 Received: 05-07-2011

Interview Date: 06-07-2011

Interview Result: Visa was on hold

Second Interview: Approved

Visa Received: 01-20-2012

ENTRY: 02-12-2012

Married: 03-26-2012

AOS 04-19-2012

Email notification 04-26-2012

NOA1 send : 04-24-2012

Biometric send: 04-27-2012

Biometric appt: 05-18-2012

AOS transfer to CSC: 05-24-2012

EAD/AD approved&send: 06-22-2012

EAD/AD arrived: 06-28-2012

e4nrdek1wws.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.