Chris & Anna

Biggest surprises

36 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

I didn't expect my Russian man to be so... manly. I mean he knows how to do, fix, everything, and that's being lost in the USA. Can even cook a bit. I didn't expect him to not drink often, or to be loyal, but he is. The bad? He's not as overtly romantic as other guys I've dated, but he takes care of me and that's what matters.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

I didn't expect my Russian man to be so... manly. I mean he knows how to do, fix, everything, and that's being lost in the USA. Can even cook a bit. I didn't expect him to not drink often, or to be loyal, but he is. The bad? He's not as overtly romantic as other guys I've dated, but he takes care of me and that's what matters.

So almost as good as an American but less romantic. :thumbs::P

maybe he should read the Russian Fairy Tale book I have which I think is the basis for Freddie Krueger movies.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Hey, if it works for you, I'm glad! There may not be enough guys like those of us on this forum to go around so if you found it in Russia instead we understand! :thumbs:

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

So almost as good as an American but less romantic. :thumbs::P

maybe he should read the Russian Fairy Tale book I have which I think is the basis for Freddie Krueger movies.

I'm sure it's just my luck or my "wimp" generation, but the I'd never in my life dated an American guy who possessed a backbone or wasn't a "mamma's boy". Only one of them knew how to fix a few things around the house. They feared guns. Never touched a gym. I gave up after a while. I think I'm with the most un-Russian Russian around.

Timeline

I'm sure it's just my luck or my "wimp" generation, but the I'd never in my life dated an American guy who possessed a backbone or wasn't a "mamma's boy". Only one of them knew how to fix a few things around the house. They feared guns. Never touched a gym. I gave up after a while. I think I'm with the most un-Russian Russian around.

Must be a flaw in your upbringing. :P I built all our furniture (except upholstered things) most based on designs Alla found in Italian furniture catalogs, remodeled two houses since meeting her and she has just come to accept that if it is not how she wants it, I will "fix it" I have been teaching the boys about handyman stuff around the house. Pasha gets it, he even has a job working for the local drive-in theatre doing, among other things, handyman duties. Sergey gets it but will probably make enough money to pay someone else to do it. :lol:

They both like to shoot but not as much as Alla does. No wimps allowed in this house! :lol:

Gary And Alla

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

I built the house I am living in from the ground up, did it all except excavate the hole and stretch the carpets. Did the same for my parents. Before that I rebuilt two old houses, took them down to the studs basically with all new doors, windows, insulation, siding, wiring, plumbing, drywall, etc. Had my 'wings' in the USAF! I know how to shoot but not really into that so much. I don't have time for the gym. Why pay to go to the gym and then also pay someone to do your building, landscaping and maintenance as well. I save money on all of that and then can use it for boating, swimming, sailing, downhill skiing, etc. :)

The reason I am married to a russian is not that I could not find an american woman willing to be married to me. It had to do with setting the bar high, just as I do for myself. And that is not to say that there aren't a lot of terrific, gorgeous american women! But around here they all seemed to be happily married! :yes:

Edited by james&olya

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Yes, Alla was surprised at this also. "Why do Americans have so much stuff and sell it so cheap?" A like new pair of "Rollers" (roller blades) for $3. Shortly after she arrived my gas weedwhacker gave up the ghost and I took her when I cruised around some garage sales and picked up one for $5 That hooked her on garage sales. Now on Saturdays she goes "sale-ing" :lol:

With the Rollers she even questioned the person "What is wrong with these? For $3 there must be something wrong with them" No, just don't use them. "But they cost a lot of money, why did you buy them if you don't use them?" :huh: Alla, pay the lady!

Well, I hadn't even thought about garage sales. I bet my wife would love that. My sister goes all the time. My wife has never been to a zoo, or to the ocean either, so I can't wait until we are together and I can introduce her to these new experiences. Hmm, another thing that might be interesting is Seaworld, or an IMAX...

Timeline

Well, I hadn't even thought about garage sales. I bet my wife would love that. My sister goes all the time. My wife has never been to a zoo, or to the ocean either, so I can't wait until we are together and I can introduce her to these new experiences. Hmm, another thing that might be interesting is Seaworld, or an IMAX...

Alla had been to the "zoopark" in Moscow but we have also visited Brookfield Zoo in Chicago. Parc safari in Quebec (between our house and Montreal), Biodome in Montreal and the aquarium in Chicago. She agreed they were better.

She likes the theatre experiences we have here but is dismayed at the prices and the buildings are not as elaborate as, say Moscow Arts Theatre or Odessa Opera Theatre of course.

Alla also likes the second hand shops though the ones we have here get a lot of donations from various stores which are closing out seasonal clothes and things, so many of the clothes are brand new and very cheap. $4 or $5 for sweaters, slacks, dresses. It is kind of a hit or miss thing and she occasionally gets a real treasure but she likes to check them out.

Gary And Alla

Timeline

Alla had been to the "zoopark" in Moscow but we have also visited Brookfield Zoo in Chicago. Parc safari in Quebec (between our house and Montreal), Biodome in Montreal and the aquarium in Chicago. She agreed they were better.

She likes the theatre experiences we have here but is dismayed at the prices and the buildings are not as elaborate as, say Moscow Arts Theatre or Odessa Opera Theatre of course.

Alla also likes the second hand shops though the ones we have here get a lot of donations from various stores which are closing out seasonal clothes and things, so many of the clothes are brand new and very cheap. $4 or $5 for sweaters, slacks, dresses. It is kind of a hit or miss thing and she occasionally gets a real treasure but she likes to check them out.

Yes, I'm sure she will love going to a "Ross" store. Also, I just realized that another difference is when you buy your ticket here, you don't get assigned a seat. I'll have to make her buy the tickets and she will be confused when they don't ask where you want to sit.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

That sounds very funny to me, since I hear a lot of Russian women complaining about Russian men for the same reasons that you did not like American men.

That's exactly why I hate all kinds of generalization by national origin. While there are certain differences in mentality and mindset, it's completely different when it comes to who is more marriage material. There are decent Russian guys and there are decent American guys. And there are worthless guys anywhere as well.

Вiрити нiкому не можна. Hавiть собi. Менi - можна ©

Timeline

That sounds very funny to me, since I hear a lot of Russian women complaining about Russian men for the same reasons that you did not like American men.

That's exactly why I hate all kinds of generalization by national origin. While there are certain differences in mentality and mindset, it's completely different when it comes to who is more marriage material. There are decent Russian guys and there are decent American guys. And there are worthless guys anywhere as well.

Yes, I think when you are looking for someone who doesn't fit the "norm" for your culture, you widen your search. Perhaps there was a woman in America who would have met my standards, but I happened to find mine in Russia.

The reason I am married to a russian is not that I could not find an american woman willing to be married to me. It had to do with setting the bar high, just as I do for myself. And that is not to say that there aren't a lot of terrific, gorgeous american women! But around here they all seemed to be happily married! :yes:

The way this is worded, seems to imply that you were looking only for a gorgeous woman...

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Yes, I think when you are looking for someone who doesn't fit the "norm" for your culture, you widen your search. Perhaps there was a woman in America who would have met my standards, but I happened to find mine in Russia.

That's about right :yes:

That's why it's great to be able to speak foreign languages - you increase your chances to find friends or SO.

Вiрити нiкому не можна. Hавiть собi. Менi - можна ©

Do I know what Kira finds/found surprising in this country? Not really seeing how the little Bolshevik would never ever admit to anything in the US being better than in Belarus. I'm sure she's told her friends and family though whats better here and what's not...or what she found "surprising", but she would never tell me unless it was the negatives here. She's good for that.

Edited by Why_Me

sigbet.jpg

"I want to take this opportunity to mention how thankful I am for an Obama re-election. The choice was clear. We cannot live in a country that treats homosexuals and women as second class citizens. Homosexuals deserve all of the rights and benefits of marriage that heterosexuals receive. Women deserve to be treated with respect and their salaries should not depend on their gender, but their quality of work. I am also thankful that the great, progressive state of California once again voted for the correct President. America is moving forward, and the direction is a positive one."

Timeline

The way this is worded, seems to imply that you were looking only for a gorgeous woman...

I was. Why not? Great personality AND beauty. After two years in Ukraine you can get jaded a bit and see what would be a drop dead gorgeous woman here and "meh...nah, I do not feel like crossing the street to meet her, maybe tomorrow"

When I saw Alla, holy moley! I think I was paralyzed! The hunt was over! :lol:

Gary And Alla

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.