Iyawo_Omo_Yoruba

Bona Fide Relationship requirements??

41 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

I keep reading about this, must have this, should have that, ie. joint bank accounts, life insurance, etc. Okay, in the US much of these things are unattainable due to the fact my husband has no SSN. It is impossible! I cannot add him to my insurance, I cannot add him as a beneficiary either. All I could do was make him a beneficiary to my bank accounts. How are we to supply this proof when it is impossible to get it?

If anyone has any other suggestions for me on how else to prove this relationship, please let me know so i am prepared when the appeal process hits and asks for more proof.

TracyJo

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline

My wife and I have joint account in FirstBank, USA. I don't have SSN, for my case, FirstBank people filled 000-0000-0000 for SSN field. Your husband may be having life insurance policy in his country, he can add you as beneficial.

XrVRp5.png

Have you sent in an I- 130? If so, I had the same problem thinking of what we could send in. When I read up on it you can have someone complete an affidavit (from a 3rd party, I did 3 affidavits) that can explain your situation, how they know you, and explain that you have a bona fide marriage. I hope this helps at all. Like you said without a SS# in the US they really don't let you do pretty all of those things.

CSC Process

9/12/11- Sent out I-130

9/15/11- Rec'd NOA 1

3/6/12- 5 months 21 days- Still waiting for NOA 2 :/

3/7/12- Called USCIS- say they are back logged and to wait 30 to 45 more days :(

3/27/12- NOA 2 Approved!!(194 days from NOA 1 date)

Timeline

My wife and I have joint account in FirstBank, USA. I don't have SSN, for my case, FirstBank people filled 000-0000-0000 for SSN field. Your husband may be having life insurance policy in his country, he can add you as beneficial.

I will place a call to my bank in the AM and see if they can do the same! Thanks for the info. Anything will help at this point. My husband does not have life insurance, but he does have a bank account and I will see if he can just add me to it. Thanks again for the idea! :)

Have you sent in an I- 130? If so, I had the same problem thinking of what we could send in. When I read up on it you can have someone complete an affidavit (from a 3rd party, I did 3 affidavits) that can explain your situation, how they know you, and explain that you have a bona fide marriage. I hope this helps at all. Like you said without a SS# in the US they really don't let you do pretty all of those things.

We already filed, interviewed and was denied. And we did the affidavits as well.

TracyJo

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

I keep reading about this, must have this, should have that, ie. joint bank accounts, life insurance, etc. Okay, in the US much of these things are unattainable due to the fact my husband has no SSN. It is impossible! I cannot add him to my insurance, I cannot add him as a beneficiary either. All I could do was make him a beneficiary to my bank accounts. How are we to supply this proof when it is impossible to get it?

If anyone has any other suggestions for me on how else to prove this relationship, please let me know so i am prepared when the appeal process hits and asks for more proof.

How about adding him as an "authorized user" in your credit cards. An authorized user doesn't need a SSN, that's what I did. I was able to add my husband to my bank account without a SSN. My Credit Union requested a notarized copy of his passport, ID and the application. I've also read that others were able to add their SO in the car insurance. Oh on that note, a report from the news last week said that married people have lower premiums on car insurance than single.

USCIS
July 15, 2011 - NOA 1, Jan 24, 2012 - NOA 2

NVC
Feb 8, 2012 - NVC # & Invoice ID # Received
Feb 8, 2012 - Emailed NVC DS-3032 ( choice of agent ) Accepted!
Feb 9, 2012 - AOS Fee Paid
Feb 10, 2012 - AOS bill shows Paid :-)
Feb 10, 2012 - IV bill Paid (In Process)
Feb 14, 2012 - IV bill shows In Process, Fee was withdrawn from Bank Account. So,is PAID :-)
Feb 14, 2012 - IV bill shows Paid.
Feb 17, 2012 - AOS and IV Packages Sent to NVC, same envelope :-)
Feb 21, 2012 - AOS and IV Packages RECEIVED by NVC
Feb 24, 2012 - AOS Accepted.
Feb 24, 2012 - IV RFE "Original Marriage Certificate" It was included. Waiting for supervisor to review Marriage Certificate (10 - 15 days)
Mar 20, 2012 - RFE Sent
Mar 22, 2012 - CASE COMPLETE

Embassy ~ New Delhi
April 10, 2012 - Received Email, Interview Date: May 9th! Yeeey!
April 16, 2012 - Medical Exam
May 09, 2012 - INTERVIEW = AP
Jul 03, 2012 - Called DoS AP OVER, VFS's website says passport was handed over to Blue Dart, Waiting for delivery :-)

Jul 06, 2012 - VISA IN HAND (Visa was issued on July 2nd)

POE
Jul 17, 2012 - SAN DIEGO

July 28, 2012 - Welcome Letter Received
July 31, 2012 - Green Card Received
Aug. 01, 2012 - Applied for SSN
Aug. 07, 2012 - Received SSN Card :-) yeeeeeeey! Time to look for a job!

ROC I-751

May 08, 2014 - Sent I-751 to CSC

May 14, 2014 - NOA Received (Dated: 5/09/2014)

May 14, 2014 - Check Cashed

June 12, 2014 - Biometrics Appt.

I will place a call to my bank in the AM and see if they can do the same! Thanks for the info. Anything will help at this point. My husband does not have life insurance, but he does have a bank account and I will see if he can just add me to it. Thanks again for the idea! :)

We already filed, interviewed and was denied. And we did the affidavits as well.

So phone/text records, emails, photos, passport stamps weren't enough for the interview? I'm going to have to look into more things to get our names on together then. I already checked with my bank and they won't let me put his name on without a SS#. It's so annoying. I wonder what else we could put our names on?

CSC Process

9/12/11- Sent out I-130

9/15/11- Rec'd NOA 1

3/7/12- Called USCIS- say they are back logged and to wait 30 to 45 more days :(

Timeline

How about adding him as an "authorized user" in your credit cards. An authorized user doesn't need a SSN, that's what I did. I was able to add my husband to my bank account without a SSN. My Credit Union requested a notarized copy of his passport, ID and the application. I've also read that others were able to add their SO in the car insurance. Oh on that note, a report from the news last week said that married people have lower premiums on car insurance than single.

Never thought about authorized user for credit cards, that's a good one! My car insurance wouldn't let me add him, but I have switched carriers since then, I will call them tomorrow as well! Thanks for your help! :)

TracyJo

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Ooh, I also filed my tax return married filing jointly.

USCIS
July 15, 2011 - NOA 1, Jan 24, 2012 - NOA 2

NVC
Feb 8, 2012 - NVC # & Invoice ID # Received
Feb 8, 2012 - Emailed NVC DS-3032 ( choice of agent ) Accepted!
Feb 9, 2012 - AOS Fee Paid
Feb 10, 2012 - AOS bill shows Paid :-)
Feb 10, 2012 - IV bill Paid (In Process)
Feb 14, 2012 - IV bill shows In Process, Fee was withdrawn from Bank Account. So,is PAID :-)
Feb 14, 2012 - IV bill shows Paid.
Feb 17, 2012 - AOS and IV Packages Sent to NVC, same envelope :-)
Feb 21, 2012 - AOS and IV Packages RECEIVED by NVC
Feb 24, 2012 - AOS Accepted.
Feb 24, 2012 - IV RFE "Original Marriage Certificate" It was included. Waiting for supervisor to review Marriage Certificate (10 - 15 days)
Mar 20, 2012 - RFE Sent
Mar 22, 2012 - CASE COMPLETE

Embassy ~ New Delhi
April 10, 2012 - Received Email, Interview Date: May 9th! Yeeey!
April 16, 2012 - Medical Exam
May 09, 2012 - INTERVIEW = AP
Jul 03, 2012 - Called DoS AP OVER, VFS's website says passport was handed over to Blue Dart, Waiting for delivery :-)

Jul 06, 2012 - VISA IN HAND (Visa was issued on July 2nd)

POE
Jul 17, 2012 - SAN DIEGO

July 28, 2012 - Welcome Letter Received
July 31, 2012 - Green Card Received
Aug. 01, 2012 - Applied for SSN
Aug. 07, 2012 - Received SSN Card :-) yeeeeeeey! Time to look for a job!

ROC I-751

May 08, 2014 - Sent I-751 to CSC

May 14, 2014 - NOA Received (Dated: 5/09/2014)

May 14, 2014 - Check Cashed

June 12, 2014 - Biometrics Appt.

Timeline

So phone/text records, emails, photos, passport stamps weren't enough for the interview? I'm going to have to look into more things to get our names on together then. I already checked with my bank and they won't let me put his name on without a SS#. It's so annoying. I wonder what else we could put our names on?

In our case the information we sent in was not enough, sorry. We sent in over 300 pages of phone records, emails, FB interaction, and chats. Read what the others are posting here, I think you may be able to use a lot of it as well! I am going to be busy tomorrow, lol. Do yours now, so he can take the additional information when he has his interview! I wish we had known all of this before my husband went. It might have made a difference for us.

I filed married but separately, to get a tax return back. Once you file jointly, you can never change it. I am self employed so it made more sense for me to do it that way, but that's a good idea for others!

TracyJo

Thanks so much much for the information! I will definitely get on that now while we are just sitting here waiting for the NOA2. It's crazy that you need that much information. I do have my husband on my health insurance already. I guess that would count right? I wish you both luck and I hope this bump in the road is very short for both of you!

CSC Process

9/12/11- Sent out I-130

9/15/11- Rec'd NOA 1

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Whether or not you need a social security might depend on the state and the kind of institution. I was also unable to add my wife to my accounts. Perhaps a credit union would be different from a large national bank? I added her as the beneficiary (POD), for which her SSN was not required.

Sept 9, 2011: NOA1

March 16, 2012: NOA2

April 10, 2012: NVC Case Number Assigned, AOS Invoice Received

April 11, 2012: OPTIN for EP with DS-3032 sent, AOS bill paid

April 12, 2012: AOS Package Sent

April 17, 2012: IV Bill invoiced, paid

April 19, 2012: IV package sent

April 20, 2012: Checklist for AOS asking for letter of employment, response sent

April 23, 2012: Letter approving DS-230, False checklist for AOS checklist

May 1, 2012: Appointment Letter Received (for May 23rd)

May 22, 2012: Interview canceled pending further medical tests

July 15, 2012: New Appointment letter Received

August 1, 2012: Interview, Approved

Timeline

Thanks so much much for the information! I will definitely get on that now while we are just sitting here waiting for the NOA2. It's crazy that you need that much information. I do have my husband on my health insurance already. I guess that would count right? I wish you both luck and I hope this bump in the road is very short for both of you!

Well, I am glad to have been directed to this site, I have learned much already! And whatever you can add him on, do it. The more proof you have, the less the chance for denial!

And thanks to everyone who has commented thus far and helped!

Whether or not you need a social security might depend on the state and the kind of institution. I was also unable to add my wife to my accounts. Perhaps a credit union would be different from a large national bank? I added her as the beneficiary (POD), for which her SSN was not required.

I did the same with my bank, he is the beneficiary, but I am still going to try the suggestions I got from this thread.

TracyJo

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: France
Timeline

It doesn't have to be in the US: you could have a joint account or common property in Nigeria.

If you can't possibly get evidence of co-mingled finances, then focus on the other types of evidence.

CR1 Visa

USCIS STAGE: 16 days No expedite request but USC residing abroad
NVC STAGE: 19 days from case # to case complete
03/27/12: interview at Paris embassy - APPROVED
04/12/12: POE San Diego

ROC
01/15/14: sent I-751 application

05/14/14: received card production notification by e-mail, approval date 05/13

Naturalization

02/01/24: N-400 submitted online; Biometrics reuse notice received immediately online; "case being actively reviewed" after a couple hours

02/09/24: received NOA1 by mail

02/10/24: received biometrics reuse notice by mail

04/08/24: interview scheduled for 05/14. Received "We have taken an action in your case" email.

05/14/24: approved at interview, same-day oath ceremony in San Francisco 🥳 🇺🇸

Passport

06/10/24: application submitted at post office for passport book and card, paid for expedited processing and shipping

06/24/24: received email notification that passport was approved, then shipped with tracking number

06/25/24: passport received

Timeline

It doesn't have to be in the US: you could have a joint account or common property in Nigeria.

If you can't possibly get evidence of co-mingled finances, then focus on the other types of evidence.

Thanks! I will get to work on these things first, and then go further out in my search! :)

TracyJo

I just called and put my husband on my credit card. It's a start so far. I'm going to also see if I can add him on any other accounts as well. If anyone knows of any other accounts that you have added your wife or husbands name on let me know. I absolutely love this website! Everyone is so helpful and it just makes this process a little bit more comfortable.

CSC Process

9/12/11- Sent out I-130

9/15/11- Rec'd NOA 1

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.