Derek & Rita

cutting a baby's hair

27 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

So today, as before, my (Russian / Tajik) wife goes "we should cut the baby's hair so it grows back thick!". I tell her "there is not any scientific evidence that this is true, it's just a myth." She goes "no, its true, my mom didn't cut my hair and you see how it is thin?".

I don't care either way, but saying that it will be thicker because you cut it? That's nonsense. I don't get why I have to tell her whether or not she is allowed to cut our daughter's hair.

MIL was saying that if I whistle near a baby it is bad, or looking at her so that my face appears upside down will make my daughter stupid. Her MIL can spout her old wive's tales somewhere else. I flat out told her "no, that's not true" a few times when she tried that ####### with me.

Anyone else have these or similar stupid arguments? I love my wife, and we get along great, what I don't get is how they can believe these tales.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

So today, as before, my (Russian / Tajik) wife goes "we should cut the baby's hair so it grows back thick!". I tell her "there is not any scientific evidence that this is true, it's just a myth." She goes "no, its true, my mom didn't cut my hair and you see how it is thin?".

I don't care either way, but saying that it will be thicker because you cut it? That's nonsense. I don't get why I have to tell her whether or not she is allowed to cut our daughter's hair.

MIL was saying that if I whistle near a baby it is bad, or looking at her so that my face appears upside down will make my daughter stupid. Her MIL can spout her old wive's tales somewhere else. I flat out told her "no, that's not true" a few times when she tried that ####### with me.

Anyone else have these or similar stupid arguments? I love my wife, and we get along great, what I don't get is how they can believe these tales.

hahahaha...cutting the hair will make it thicker

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

Eh, her hair is thin because Russian girls always seem to have thin hair. It's better I think, all nice and straight, but yeah...it's just genetics...

My SO thinks that any danm thing that touched the floor must be thrown in the trash.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

perhaps it would help if you look at it for what is probably is.... culteral differences. that may also be why she discusses things like hair cuts. it is really a matter of respect for you.

be well friend.

lei

Timeline

perhaps it would help if you look at it for what is probably is.... culteral differences. that may also be why she discusses things like hair cuts. it is really a matter of respect for you.

be well friend.

Oh, I am sure it is just out of respect for me, but what I don't get is when I say "don't cut it" she argues with me. My view is - if you wanted my opinion, and you got it, why are you arguing with me?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

Oh, I am sure it is just out of respect for me, but what I don't get is when I say "don't cut it" she argues with me. My view is - if you wanted my opinion, and you got it, why are you arguing with me?

when a woman asks for your opinion, what she is really asking is for you to tell her what she wants to hear. prime example... "does my bum look big in this"?? :lol:

I-129F SENT............................................08/15/2011

NOA1 TEXT/EMAIL...................................08/22/2011

NOA2 TEXT/EMAIL. NO RFE.....................01/05/2012

NVC RECEIVED......................................01/21/2012

NVC LEFT...............................................01/24/2012

PACKET 3 RECEIVED..............................02/01/2012

PACKET 3 RETURNED.............................02/04/2012

MEDICAL................................................02/17/2012

DS-2001 MAILED.....................................02/23/2012

PACKET 4 RECEIVED..............................03/02/2012

INTERVIEW............................................03/14/2012 APPROVED

POE ATLANTA.........................................04/03/2012

AOS approved 3/29/13 after almost 10 months of waiting. No RFE's and no interview.

My grandma used to say this too.

We also don't cut toe or finger nails on a Friday or Sunday as it's really bad luck. And a Wed isn't too good either.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

My opinion? Ignore it. It's all nonsense, but it's engrained into them, and they don't want to be wrong and will argue. It's not worth it.

I have long since given up. My wife has a nursing degree, and a high degree in Veterinary Medicine. But she is absolutely convinced (and simply won't be told otherwise) that a draft will make her ill. This is just my favorite in a long list of her old wives' tales...

Edited by Scott and Iryna

Ирина и Скотт (Iryna and Scott)

Feb 25, 2008 - Sent K-1 petition to VSC

Feb 25, 2008 - Received NOA1

May 30, 2008 - Received NOA2! Woo-hoo!

Jul 18, 2008 - Interviewed in Kiev. Everything went well!

Jul 24, 2008 - Visa received. Yippee!

Jul 31, 2008 - Visited my girl, and we spent my birthday in Odessa!

Aug 05, 2008 - We both arrive in America. Hooray!

Oct 31, 2008 - Married!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Belarus
Timeline

No such thing as cold water. Everything must be room temp to drink." You can get a cold". I drew the line at beer.

And if I step on her foot, then she needs to step on mine or we will have bad luck.

Timeline

My opinion? Ignore it. It's all nonsense, but it's engrained into them, and they don't want to be wrong and will argue. It's not worth it.

I have long since given up. My wife has a nursing degree, and a high degree in Veterinary Medicine. But she is absolutely convinced (and simply won't be told otherwise) that a draft will make her ill. This is just my favorite in a long list of her old wives' tales...

Yea, mine has a nursing degree as well, with a specialization in immunology... and she still thinks a draft will make you ill...

Timeline

OP: Three words of advice that have kept my marriage hitting on all cylinders: Choose your battles.

You are correct about hair not growing back in thicker. And you'll still be correct while sleeping on the couch. :)

Well, so far she's not the type of person to get so mad as to punish herself by sleeping alone. :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Our wives being RUB women are full of "wives tales" but we do not have stupid arguments with them because that would be...stupid. My wife will not hand me anything through a doorway without putting her foot through the doorway first, do not ever demonstrate anything by pointing to any part of her body, do not sit on cold objects (ruins a woman's reproductive organs), drafts make you sick, do not give knives for gifts, do not give timepieces (watches) for gifts, cold drinks make you sick, shall I go on?

No, I do not argue about this.

Just say "Yes dear" and cut the baby's hair.

Some things I have come to accept as the charm of being married to a beautiful woman from Ukraine and I find the trade off quite comfortably tolerable.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.