BethandBilly

N-400 FILERS - MARCH 2012

1,101 posts in this topic

Pakboy12.............|03/26/12.|04/02/12.|03/28/12.|05/18/12.|05/24/12.|06/28/12.|PASSED...|06/28/12.|Dallas, TX..........|

Wanted to add my experience to the list here.

First off I am officially a US Citizen, just got back from the Oath!

Below is my account of the entire process for whoever it may help.

This is my second time filing for N-400. I was denied without prejudice 6 years ago when I was much younger. I am not married to a US citizen and filed as such, this time without the help of a lawyer.

After I filed, with electronic notification in late March, I got regular updates. Bio appointment went smoothly. And got my letter for the interview at the end of May. I went in for the interview today at 10:15am. Got to my interview at the Irving, TX Field Office in the DFW Area 15 minutes early, and after a short wait got called into by an IO at around 10:25. Initially the IO asked me some questions about an arrest I had on my record without putting me under oath. He made some marks and highlights on my file slammed it close and stepped out of the room. At this point I was thinking oh man here we go again.

The IO came back in a few minutes and stood me up to put me under oath from then on the interview consisted of the normal questioning. Next was the testing, simple stuff The questions I got were as follows;

When was the declaration of independence signed?

Name one of the Longest Rivers in the US?

How many years does the president serve in office?

Who is the speaker of the house?

Who lived here before the europeans arrived?

What do we call the first ten ammendments?

After passing the test, the IO said he needed to hurry to get my paperwork in. I did not completely understand so I started signing a bunch of stuff. He then handed me my N-445 with Congratulations check marked and said I could attend to be back at the Irving, TX office at 1PM.

I was extremely relieved and got to enjoy the same day oath. Thank you all for your contributions, although I have not posted before I have been a lurker for quite some time now. Goodluck to everyone!

Just of curiosity sir.. what did you mean by denial without prejudice ?

And big congratulations to you once more

Passed the interview !!!!!!!

I had my interview in Federal Plaza , NY my interview was schedule at 1:30 I arrived there around 1:00pm and the waiting began.... Around 4:15 they started shutting the fans the TVs I was worried they were going to ask me to come back. They called me around 4:35 pm it was a lady in her late 30's she said a dry Hello and I responded with a smile with a hello how are you doing then she smiled...... We walked towards her office she didnt let me put my stuff down and made me swear to tell the truth..Asked for my driver's license , social security card, passport , green card . Then proceeded with the civics

1. If both the president and the vice president can no longer serve, who becomes president.

2. What does the president's cabinet do?

3 . How many justices are on the Supreme Court?

4. We elect a US senator for how many years?

5. What did the declaration of Independence do?

6. Name one branch of the government .

What day is Columbus Day?

Columbus day is in October .

Then she proceeded to get information off the computer, she was filling out my previous names she spend like 10 minutes doing this. And then she made me print my name 3times on 3different pages and my new last name on my picture.... She then went over my application yes and no question when it got to any arrest citations and told her I have traffic violations she asked me if it was a DUI I told her no, she said no arrest I said no then she said no problem and moved on.... Then she gave me the letter saying that my application has been approved told me not to loose the letter and that I should get the oath letter within 3-4 months if I don't get them in 120 days to contact them.... The she walked my out and made a copy of my passport, green card and social and smiled and told me to have a nice day..... When I walked out there was nobody there and they were already mopping the floor......

P.S. I did notice a lot of people getting their oath letter after their interviews , I guess I didn't get mine since it was late......

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

I had my Oath ceremony last Friday, it was very emotional and to my surprise it was also quick, total of 209 citizens, scheduled at 7 AM and was out of the office by 8:20, i ran over to the Miami Passport office, and process my passport (that did took a while, around 6 hours) but walked out of there with passport, passport card and certificate in hand, i am mailing my I-130 packages for my wife and son and will be on a plane to see them tomorrow. :thumbs:

Thanks

How were you able to get your passport the same day? I am curious because my oath letter is on the way and I'ld like to do the same. I have to leave and go help my wife deliver our first baby. It looks like my oath will be around the same time I plan on going back to Ghana. How much did it cost? any special circumstances? Guys please give me any advice possible. Thanks.

Washington, DC

[/color]01/29/07 Green Card through Citizen mother

03/13/12 (0): N-400 mailed to Phoenix, AZ with USPS Overnight

03/24/12 (11): NOA received PD:03/15/2012

04/04/12 (21): Walk in Bio done

06/12/12 (91): Interview Scheduled and APPROVED!

07/24/12(133): Oath Ceremony Scheduled

I-130 Petition

USCIS - VSC

02/28/2012: I-130 Sent As LPR

03/04/2012: I-797 Rec'd Hard copy

10/04/2012: Upgrade from LPR to USC

10/08/2012: Hard copy of upgrade received in mail

11/26/2012: NOA2 E-mail (from Director of VSC; called actual VSC office line several times to inquire to speak to Associate Director).

NVC

11/27/2012: NVC received

11/30/2012: Case number/IIN

11/30/2012: DS-3032 sent

12/04/2012: AOS Bill PAID

12/05/2012: AOS Package sent

12/07/2012: DS-3032 accepted

12/10/2012: IV Bill PAID

12/12/2012: IV Package sent

12/19/2012: RFE recieved by NVC(correction on income mistake)

12/27/2012: IV Packet Accepted

01/08/2013: Case complete at NVC

03/05/2013: Accra

CONSULATE - US EMBASSY, ACCRA

02/15/2013: Embassy received

02/20/2012: Medical

03/05/2012: Interview

03/08/2013: Visa

XX/XX/2012: POE

Let's Share, Promote, Fund and Do It With The World; Impact The World!

The 1dollar1home.com Team

Filed: Timeline

Hello BethandBilly,

I am a DoD Contractor Spouse. I have an overseas dependent ID. I am going through the expedited naturalization process.

Should I ask the the Los Angeles USCIS office before flying or when I am there, for quicker oath ceremony (same day oath).

I will definitely research this more. I was going crazy thinking I would have to wait for up to 2 months before I get the oath ceremony letter!

How are you affiliated with the military overseas, are you military, GS or contractor? If you are one of the above and know your dates of arrival in the US, you may be able to request the date of your interview and in your request you can also ask for same day Oath. But really without knowing your full circumstances its really not possible to give you more accurate info.

If you are a contractor/contractor spouse and know your exact dates back in the US you can email the office you're interviewing at and tell them your dates of arrival and departure, where you're coming from and that you're requesting same day oath.

Good Luck!

Hello BethandBilly,

I am a DoD Contractor Spouse. I have an overseas dependent ID. I am going through the expedited naturalization process.

Should I ask the the Los Angeles USCIS office before flying or when I am there, for quicker oath ceremony (same day oath).

I will definitely research this more. I was going crazy thinking I would have to wait for up to 2 months before I get the oath ceremony letter!

Edited by BethandBilly

I had my interview yesterday at Kansas city MO and passed

My appointment was at 10.30AM and was called in about 11AM and was done by 11.12AM. So it was easy. IO was professional, friendly and quick. Monday is a busy day at DO so there were many cars outside. I reached the IO at 10AM and waited till 11AM. Many people were waiting (hall was full). Interestingly, one guy had come there for a walkin interview (surprized me!!!) He had his interview scheduled next week, but he was travelling. So decided to show up at the IO and they accomodated him. You need to drop your interview letter in the box outside the door. IOs keep coming and picking them up as they send people out. My interview letter was picked by a lady IO but was interviewed by someone else (male IO)

Anyway, my name was called and I went to the door. IO said good morning and let me into a corridor. He asked me for my drivers license, Greencard, REP (didn't ask for passport). Matched names and faces to all the three documents and to my interview letter. Than took me to his office. As we were walking I made a small joke about his tie and we had a good laugh. He was friendly and had good sense of humor. That put us in ease.

Once inside the office, he let me put my folders down and asked me to keep standing. He asked me raise right hand and administered oath. After sayign I do. He asked me to sit down and said "Since, we are understanding each other fine, let me finish this in a good speed. If I am too fast, Please stop me and ask me to slow down. I am sorry we are running late and want to get you out soon". I said thats fine. Than he took my application, started asking whats my full name, why I am chanign my name, where I have lived so far, Where I work, How many trips I have taken in last 5 years etc,. No point he looked at me. He was just listening to what I am saying and jumping to next questions. Infact, I felt like he just making sure things written on the application is right. I had one correction (my wedding anniversary date), he did that. I wanted to change my employment date (I had a few days wrong for my start date), he said don't worry it doesn't matter.

Than he jumped to civil questions. I don't remember the questions. I answered first six right and he stopped. He had printed sheet with 10 questions. He asked 6 in random order. I had 2 question specific to kansas (like capital and governor). He said its very rare I get 2 questions relating to same topic. He asked me to read "July 4th is our independence day" and write "Washington was father of our nation". He didn't even look at the sheet, but marked it right and signed.

Than started asking me yes and No qustions from the last part of the application. Which was vey quick. Than said, He is recommending me for approval. I asked him if it is possible to get the oath letter today, he said no. Than thanked me for my time and walked me out.

Very relieved it is over with. I had 3 issues with my application that I was worried

1. Continious residency; I had one trip for 7 months just before sending the application. He didn't even bother to ask any questions about it (infact, he didn't even ask for any documents that I carried for any thing. He saw my drivers license, GC and REP)

2. Speeding tickets: I had 2 dismissed tickets from 6 years ago. I mentioned to him during the interview, he said thats fine but didn't change the anwer on n400

3. Wife and kids are not living with me from last one year. We are not separated or not planning to. It is just that she can't enter US as her advance parole expired when she was visiting home land. she is struck there till I get my citizenship and get her GC. He didn't care about this either

Overall, its done. Now time to check the mailbox everyday for oath letter. Good luck to everyone.

Hello and how are you?

Excuse me for late inquiry but you mentioned that you said something about the speeding tickets years ago to the IO.

1) Did you answer NO on your form?

2) What question if you still remember pertained to the revelation of the ticket?

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

Hello and how are you?

Excuse me for late inquiry but you mentioned that you said something about the speeding tickets years ago to the IO.

1) Did you answer NO on your form?

2) What question if you still remember pertained to the revelation of the ticket?

Yes, I answered no on the form. I had all documents ready incase he wants to go into details. I had documents like my driving record from states I lived. Copy of dismissed ticket and copy of status from court website. I wouldn't get the sealed disposition, because it was in a different state and didn't want to travel there just for this

2. When we get to the arrested/cited question, I told him I had a couple of traffic tickets from few years back. He didn't even ask if it was DUI or drug related..he just said its o.k as long as they were not serious. He didn't even lookup..he just went to other question. I didn't tell him it was speeding ticket or anything..I just told him I had a couple of traffic tickets. One ticket was for speeding 5 KM over the speed limit and second one was for not stopping at a stop sign resulting in an accident. Both tickets were dismissed at court as the officer didn't show up. So I didn't have to pay any fine.

Edited by caforum

event.png

Yes, I answered no on the form. I had all documents ready incase he wants to go into details. I had documents like my driving record from states I lived. Copy of dismissed ticket and copy of status from court website. I wouldn't get the sealed disposition, because it was in a different state and didn't want to travel there just for this

2. When we get to the arrested/cited question, I told him I had a couple of traffic tickets from few years back. He didn't even ask if it was DUI or drug related..he just said its o.k as long as they were not serious. He didn't even lookup..he just went to other question. I didn't tell him it was speeding ticket or anything..I just told him I had a couple of traffic tickets. One ticket was for speeding 5 KM over the speed limit and second one was for not stopping at a stop sign resulting in an accident. Both tickets were dismissed at court as the officer didn't show up. So I didn't have to pay any fine.

1) Thats cool that you have your driving records handy. And as u stated, I too read on the 476-2 where it said that if it is not DUI, drug or accident related, and over $500, there was no need for copies of receipts and all. I pay mine as I get them(DC/MD/VA''s speeding lights have no mercy at all).

I think it is safe to say that the most important things they look at are trips taken, arrest and that SSS stuff.

I just hope and pray that my IO is not very detailed oriented and all, not that I have anything to hide at all!

Thank you very much for your answers

Edited by UMUC

Anyway, my name was called and I went to the door. IO said good morning and let me into a corridor. He asked me for my drivers license, Greencard, REP (didn't ask for passport). Matched names and faces to all the three documents and to my interview letter. Than took me to his office. As we were walking I made a small joke about his tie and we had a good laugh. He was friendly and had good sense of humor. That put us in ease.

Guys, what is REP?

05/2006: F1 Visa

12/2008: Graduation

12/2008: Married

03/2009: Found a job

03/2009: AOS

07/2009: AOS approved

04/2011: ROC

08/2011: ROC approved

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

Guys, what is REP?

Re Entry Permit

Update on my case, now oath has been scheduled. Don't have the letter in my hand yet, but it looks like its going to be on 27th going by the court website for naturalization dates.

event.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Just of curiosity sir.. what did you mean by denial without prejudice ?

And big congratulations to you once more

Thanks for the congrats.

"Without Prejudice" is just a term that USCIS uses to state the decision of denial being made at a particular time will not be held against someone if they apply for naturalization again in the future.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.