Saylin

NVC Filers - March 2012

4,691 posts in this topic

Omg I am freaking out!!! I left #25, the three blanks where it says tax year and total income BLANK!!!! I checked off the next line where it says optional since i attached photocopies of myself and my joint sponsor's last 3 years transcripts. OMG!!! Am I really gonna get a checklist for this? OMG I am gonna be so devastated :-( Do you really think so even though I sent them transcripts and filled out everything else. I could have sworn that question you had to pick option 1 or option 2 not check both!! :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying:

:( Yeah, there should be NO blanks on any forms. Sending in tax information is required. Just because you sent them in doesn't mean you should leave lines blank. Maybe you'll get a smart, nice officer who will look over your tax transcripts, but be prepared for a checklist. I'd suggest fixing the I-864 as soon as you can, re-printing the AOS bar-coded cover sheet and have an envelope handy. Next week, once NVC starts working again, call an operator once in the morning, and once in the evening. Keep as up to date as possible on your case. IF an operator mentions you have a checklist on your AOS, ask them what is missing and get the specifics. Hopefully, though, it won't come down to that. There ARE some nice officers out there where people should have gotten checklists but didn't. If you're lucky, and don't get a checklist, I'd still suggest to bring the updated I-864 form to the interview. Then you can mention there that you realised you didn't fill in the information by accident.

Good luck!

I've been too busy lately that I haven't filed my taxes. I am still debating whether I should file as 'married filing jointly' or 'separately'.

Jointly requires a lot more paperwork and certified copy of my wife's passport and the likes, but it adds a few extra hundred dollars in for the tax refund.

Separately is a lot easier, as it it's me claiming 1.

What do you think VJ?

How easy is it to get a certified copy in Vietnam? My husband filed MFJ last year and getting a certified copy here in Canada was both free and extremely easy. Only had to wait about a week I think to get it. If it's easy enough, I think it's worth the extra effort for the extra money ;) That's what my husband and I did anyways. But up to you.

I believe, if you want, you can file MFS and then once your wife is here in the US, you can amend your tax return and file MFJ and get the difference of the extra money. Or, file an extension, and file MFJ once your wife arrives. Many options yes.gif

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Omg I am freaking out!!! I left #25, the three blanks where it says tax year and total income BLANK!!!! I checked off the next line where it says optional since i attached photocopies of myself and my joint sponsor's last 3 years transcripts. OMG!!! Am I really gonna get a checklist for this? OMG I am gonna be so devastated :-( Do you really think so even though I sent them transcripts and filled out everything else. I could have sworn that question you had to pick option 1 or option 2 not check both!! :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying:

Ouch! My rule is to never send anything right away. Work on it at least 3 times, and sleep it overnight, and look at it in the morning for one last time before sending them out.

reg.ula.tion.me.ooow.2011 // tomcat.fight

to do list:
file i-130, petition for alien relative
get immigrant visa
get ssn card and green card
get employment authorization - not required
file I-751, petition to remove the conditions of residence (before 2nd year expires upon entry)
become a US citizen

Thank you Visajourney!

Timeline

How easy is it to get a certified copy in Vietnam? My husband filed MFJ last year and getting a certified copy here in Canada was both free and extremely easy. Only had to wait about a week I think to get it. If it's easy enough, I think it's worth the extra effort for the extra money ;) That's what my husband and I did anyways. But up to you.

I believe, if you want, you can file MFS and then once your wife is here in the US, you can amend your tax return and file MFJ and get the difference of the extra money. Or, file an extension, and file MFJ once your wife arrives. Many options yes.gif

I think it's fairly easy to get a certified copy in Vietnam, but the problem of sending it over to the US takes a while.

Did your husband write NRA in for your SSN when filed married? And did he send them by snail mail instead of e-file?

to do list:
get immigrant visa
file I-751, petition to remove the conditions of residence (before 2nd year expires upon entry)
become a US citizen

Thank you Visajourney!

:( Yeah, there should be NO blanks on any forms. Sending in tax information is required. Just because you sent them in doesn't mean you should leave lines blank. Maybe you'll get a smart, nice officer who will look over your tax transcripts, but be prepared for a checklist. I'd suggest fixing the I-864 as soon as you can, re-printing the AOS bar-coded cover sheet and have an envelope handy. Next week, once NVC starts working again, call an operator once in the morning, and once in the evening. Keep as up to date as possible on your case. IF an operator mentions you have a checklist on your AOS, ask them what is missing and get the specifics. Hopefully, though, it won't come down to that. There ARE some nice officers out there where people should have gotten checklists but didn't. If you're lucky, and don't get a checklist, I'd still suggest to bring the updated I-864 form to the interview. Then you can mention there that you realised you didn't fill in the information by accident.

Good luck!

:crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: I am so upset, if I do get a checklist for this, what should I do? Will they be able to tell me what it is on the phone? And if so, do just reprint the AOS cover sheet, and send only "MY" I-864, I don't remember this question being on my joint sponsor's I-864A. Do I need to wait for a special letter from them to send this, and I wouldn't need to resend all the other stuff (IRS transcripts, employment letter, paystubs) that I sent with the initial packet right? I am sorry for being annoying. I am really upset at myself. I had doubts about this question, but stupid me didn't double check and ask.

:crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :bonk: :bonk: :bonk: :bonk: :bonk:

Yes just realized I left it blank on my joint sponsor's I-864A as well. I am to upset to even type. I am going to sleep. :crying:

Edited by StephanieM

01/01/2008 - Met
04/27/2010 - Engaged
08/23/2011 - Married
USCIS
10/03/2011 - I-130 Sent (USPS priority w/ delivery confirmation)
10/05/2011 - Package arrived at chicago lockbox
10/06/2011 - NOA1
11/09/2011 - NOA2 (no RFE's)
NVC
11/14/2011 - Petition received by NVC/ Received NOA2 by mail
11/21/2011 - NVC case # received by email/ Got AOS fee by email/ Called NVC to provide beneficiary email
11/27/2011 - Choice of agent (DS-3023) sent to NVC by email
.....took a break from process to delay interview....
01/26/2012 - Payed IV fee
01/27/2012 - IV fee status shown as PAID
02/07/2012 - Payed AOS fee
02/08/2012 - AOS fee status shown as PAID
02/09/ 2012 - DS-230 package sent to NVC (priority mail)
03/06/2012 - AOS package sent to NVC (priority mail)
03/12/2012 - Called NVC and found out about checklist. Sent revision to NVC that same day.
03/16/2012 - CASE COMPLETE!
04/11/2012 - Informed of interview via phone by DOS/ Got P4 email from NVC a few hours later that same day (May 4th)
SANTO DOMINGO CONSULATE
04/19/2012 - Medical
05/04/2012 - Interview (APPROVED)
05/10/2012 - Visa ready and picked up at domex
05/15/2012 - POE in Boston (together)
U. S. A
05/29/2012 - Went to SS office to apply for SS card
06/01/2012 - Welcome letter arrived (Received about 3 of these)
06/05/2012 - Green card arrived
06/15/2012- Back to SS office with green card to reapply and inquire about delay
06/18/2012 - Picked up SSN at SSA office
06/22/2012 - SS card arrived by mail

04/24/14 - Sent I-751 to remove conditions

06/09/14 - Biometrics

11/2014 - RFE from USCIS requesting more evidence before approval

Late Jan - Sent further evidence of marriage

03/05/2015 - Got letter of approval for removal of conditions

03/15/2015 - Permanent 10 yr green card received via mail

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I've been too busy lately that I haven't filed my taxes. I am still debating whether I should file as 'married filing jointly' or 'separately'.

Jointly requires a lot more paperwork and certified copy of my wife's passport and the likes, but it adds a few extra hundred dollars in for the tax refund.

Separately is a lot easier, as it it's me claiming 1.

What do you think VJ?

If filing jointly get's ya a few extra clams and it's not a pain in the ####### to get what you need to get an ITIN go for it!

Since I have kids I have filed head of house hold every year 1. kids give me a huge tax break anyway, 2. hubby is a procrastinator and I don't want to wait around on him 3. hubby made over 90k the past two years

USCIS- 260 Days

6/8/11~ Mailed I-130 Application, withdrew Canadian PR application
6/16/11~ NOA1 email and text message Case routed to CSC (Priority Date)
7/12/11~ The 'Money Order' Incident/Returned to Tennessee
8/03/11~ TOUCHED!
3/2/12~ APPROVED! NOA2!

NVC Electronic Processing- Montreal- 19 Days

3/21/12~ Received case number & IIN 20 Days after NOA2
3/21/12~ Sent in opt-in email
3/22/12~ Opt-in accepted
3/23/12~ DS-261 Submitted, never accepted
3/29/12~ AOS bill invoiced and paid
3/30/12~ AOS shows PAID- AOS Package emailed/received, DS-3032 emailed/accepted
4/2/12~ IV bill invoiced and paid
4/3/12~ AOS Checklist documents emailed(first time)
4/4/12~ IV shows PAID- DS-260 submitted/ IV Package emailed/received
4/4/12~ AOS Checklist documents sent again for CYA (second time)
4/5/12~ IV package accepted! No Checklists!
4/6/12~ AOS Checklist emailed(third time)
4/9/12~ AOS packet accepted (finally)
CASE COMPLETE!!

Interview 354 days from NOA1/ 362 days from initial filing date
5/29/12~ Medical@ Medisys, Montreal
6/4/12~ Interview APPROVED!!!
08/07/2012~ POE Emerson, MB/Pembina, ND by land
08/09/2012~ HOME!! 424 days from initial filing date!
08/14/2012~ SSN Received
09/10/2012~ Received Green Card

Timeline

If filing jointly get's ya a few extra clams and it's not a pain in the ####### to get what you need to get an ITIN go for it!

Since I have kids I have filed head of house hold every year 1. kids give me a huge tax break anyway, 2. hubby is a procrastinator and I don't want to wait around on him 3. hubby made over 90k the past two years

Yah, I should have started that W-7 requesting ITIN for my wife a long time ago, but I feel like it's too late now, since my wife is getting her interview in about 2.5 weeks.

I might have to finish it with a married filing separately (NRA in SSN block), and email the whole tax copy to my wife to bring to the interview.

to do list:
get immigrant visa
become a US citizen

Thank you Visajourney!

I think it's fairly easy to get a certified copy in Vietnam, but the problem of sending it over to the US takes a while.

Did your husband write NRA in for your SSN when filed married? And did he send them by snail mail instead of e-file?

Just checked the scans for that tax return. We left the SSN question blank next to my name. Since there's a W7 form attached to the package (plus it's mailed to a special ITIN unit first), they assume a SSN will be blank.

And yes, when filing a W7, you have to snail mail. If you do MFS, there might be a chance the online program won't let you put 'NRA' for the SSN, so you might have to snail mail as well, whether you do MFS or MFJ.

I think in your case, you might want to look at an extension. Not sure how you go about doing this though. Then make sure you send a copy of the extension letter to your wife for the interview. Is the interview before or after April 17?

:crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: I am so upset, if I do get a checklist for this, what should I do? Will they be able to tell me what it is on the phone? And if so, do just reprint the AOS cover sheet, and send only "MY" I-864, I don't remember this question being on my joint sponsor's I-864A. Do I need to wait for a special letter from them to send this, and I wouldn't need to resend all the other stuff (IRS transcripts, employment letter, paystubs) that I sent with the initial packet right? I am sorry for being annoying. I am really upset at myself. I had doubts about this question, but stupid me didn't double check and ask.

:crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :bonk: :bonk: :bonk: :bonk: :bonk:

Yes, if you get a competent operator, they can tell you over the phone what is missing.

And yes, you'd include just the bar-coded cover sheet and your I-864. No need to send in the same documents again. You just send in what's missing and/or need to be corrected.

And yes, they ask that question on any of the I-864 forms. You can see it here, question 11, for the I-864A: http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-864a.pdf You should check your copy of the I-864A and check to see if your joint sponsor filled that question out properly.

Yes just realized I left it blank on my joint sponsor's I-864A as well. I am to upset to even type. I am going to sleep. :crying:

Yeah, get your joint sponsor to fill in those blanks and sign/date the I-864A again. Have them send in to you asap.

Keep positive and hope that you get an awesome officer who can see from the tax information those numbers.

Again, good luck!

Just checked the scans for that tax return. We left the SSN question blank next to my name. Since there's a W7 form attached to the package (plus it's mailed to a special ITIN unit first), they assume a SSN will be blank.

And yes, when filing a W7, you have to snail mail. If you do MFS, there might be a chance the online program won't let you put 'NRA' for the SSN, so you might have to snail mail as well, whether you do MFS or MFJ.

I think in your case, you might want to look at an extension. Not sure how you go about doing this though. Then make sure you send a copy of the extension letter to your wife for the interview. Is the interview before or after April 17?

Yes, if you get a competent operator, they can tell you over the phone what is missing.

And yes, you'd include just the bar-coded cover sheet and your I-864. No need to send in the same documents again. You just send in what's missing and/or need to be corrected.

And yes, they ask that question on any of the I-864 forms. You can see it here, question 11, for the I-864A: http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-864a.pdf You should check your copy of the I-864A and check to see if your joint sponsor filled that question out properly.

Thank you Saylin, I will prepare for the worst and hope for the best. Guess I will be harrassing NVC more than I planned as soon as Monday arrives. Thanks again.

01/01/2008 - Met
04/27/2010 - Engaged
08/23/2011 - Married
USCIS
10/03/2011 - I-130 Sent (USPS priority w/ delivery confirmation)
10/05/2011 - Package arrived at chicago lockbox
10/06/2011 - NOA1
11/09/2011 - NOA2 (no RFE's)
NVC
11/14/2011 - Petition received by NVC/ Received NOA2 by mail
11/21/2011 - NVC case # received by email/ Got AOS fee by email/ Called NVC to provide beneficiary email
11/27/2011 - Choice of agent (DS-3023) sent to NVC by email
.....took a break from process to delay interview....
01/26/2012 - Payed IV fee
01/27/2012 - IV fee status shown as PAID
02/07/2012 - Payed AOS fee
02/08/2012 - AOS fee status shown as PAID
02/09/ 2012 - DS-230 package sent to NVC (priority mail)
03/06/2012 - AOS package sent to NVC (priority mail)
03/12/2012 - Called NVC and found out about checklist. Sent revision to NVC that same day.
03/16/2012 - CASE COMPLETE!
04/11/2012 - Informed of interview via phone by DOS/ Got P4 email from NVC a few hours later that same day (May 4th)
SANTO DOMINGO CONSULATE
04/19/2012 - Medical
05/04/2012 - Interview (APPROVED)
05/10/2012 - Visa ready and picked up at domex
05/15/2012 - POE in Boston (together)
U. S. A
05/29/2012 - Went to SS office to apply for SS card
06/01/2012 - Welcome letter arrived (Received about 3 of these)
06/05/2012 - Green card arrived
06/15/2012- Back to SS office with green card to reapply and inquire about delay
06/18/2012 - Picked up SSN at SSA office
06/22/2012 - SS card arrived by mail

04/24/14 - Sent I-751 to remove conditions

06/09/14 - Biometrics

11/2014 - RFE from USCIS requesting more evidence before approval

Late Jan - Sent further evidence of marriage

03/05/2015 - Got letter of approval for removal of conditions

03/15/2015 - Permanent 10 yr green card received via mail

Timeline

Thanks Saylin. You know, I think there are quite a options here for me, but I just don't know the best option yet. I will have to decide within the week.

For now, looks like MFS and snail mail the whole thing to the IRS with NRA block will be the best option, since my wife will need a copy for her interview in 2.5 weeks.

to do list:
get immigrant visa
become a US citizen

Thank you Visajourney!

Thanks Saylin. You know, I think there are quite a options here for me, but I just don't know the best option yet. I will have to decide within the week.

For now, looks like MFS and snail mail the whole thing to the IRS with NRA block will be the best option, since my wife will need a copy for her interview in 2.5 weeks.

Well, if her interview is in March, then she might not even get asked for 2011 tax information. But, this varies by consulate/embassy. I'd suggest asking in the regional sub-forum and see how the consulate/embassy in Vietnam is.

Timeline

Well, if her interview is in March, then she might not even get asked for 2011 tax information. But, this varies by consulate/embassy. I'd suggest asking in the regional sub-forum and see how the consulate/embassy in Vietnam is.

Good idea Saylin! :thumbs:

I think I will file as MFS just to get over the paperwork stuff for now, and deal with the rest later.

Now I am going to do some more homework and get enough sleep. Night Saylin, Vj!

to do list:
get immigrant visa
become a US citizen

Thank you Visajourney!

Good idea Saylin! :thumbs:

I think I will file as MFS just to get over the paperwork stuff for now, and deal with the rest later.

Now I am going to do some more homework and get enough sleep. Night Saylin, Vj!

Just remember, you can always amend once she gets here and file MFJ, and get that extra money ;)

And good night!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

:crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying:

Bless your heart. Nothing can be done about it until Monday. Get some sleep. (I know, easier said than done.)

This whole process is enough to drive a sober man (or woman) to drinking

USCIS- 260 Days

6/8/11~ Mailed I-130 Application, withdrew Canadian PR application
6/16/11~ NOA1 email and text message Case routed to CSC (Priority Date)
7/12/11~ The 'Money Order' Incident/Returned to Tennessee
8/03/11~ TOUCHED!
3/2/12~ APPROVED! NOA2!

NVC Electronic Processing- Montreal- 19 Days

3/21/12~ Received case number & IIN 20 Days after NOA2
3/21/12~ Sent in opt-in email
3/22/12~ Opt-in accepted
3/23/12~ DS-261 Submitted, never accepted
3/29/12~ AOS bill invoiced and paid
3/30/12~ AOS shows PAID- AOS Package emailed/received, DS-3032 emailed/accepted
4/2/12~ IV bill invoiced and paid
4/3/12~ AOS Checklist documents emailed(first time)
4/4/12~ IV shows PAID- DS-260 submitted/ IV Package emailed/received
4/4/12~ AOS Checklist documents sent again for CYA (second time)
4/5/12~ IV package accepted! No Checklists!
4/6/12~ AOS Checklist emailed(third time)
4/9/12~ AOS packet accepted (finally)
CASE COMPLETE!!

Interview 354 days from NOA1/ 362 days from initial filing date
5/29/12~ Medical@ Medisys, Montreal
6/4/12~ Interview APPROVED!!!
08/07/2012~ POE Emerson, MB/Pembina, ND by land
08/09/2012~ HOME!! 424 days from initial filing date!
08/14/2012~ SSN Received
09/10/2012~ Received Green Card

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.