Saylin

NVC Filers - March 2012

4,691 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Spain
Timeline

Remember that filing as head of household is not the same as filing as single. Those are two different statuses with two different requirements. You can only file as single if you are actually unmarried or you are legally separated (as in, in the process of getting a divorce). You are eligible to file as head of household only if you have dependents. Otherwise, your only choices are married separate and married joint.

i am just relaying what IRS person told me and on the website it clearly states that you are considered single if your spouse and you have not shared a home for last 6 months. We have never lived together, and he is a non-resident, another reason it applies. called nvc to confirm this, it was confirmed that single is fine and no additional information will be needed.

from IRS website:

Considered Unmarried

To qualify for head of household status, you must be either unmarried or considered unmarried on the last day of the year. You are considered unmarried on the last day of the tax year if you meet all the following tests.

You file a separate return (defined earlier under Joint Return After Separate Returns ).

You paid more than half the cost of keeping up your home for the tax year.

Your spouse did not live in your home during the last 6 months of the tax year. Your spouse is considered to live in your home even if he or she is temporarily absent due to special circumstances. See Temporary absences , later.

View Postlizka, on 28 March 2012 - 05:34 PM, said:

from IRS website:

Considered Unmarried

To qualify for head of household status, you must be either unmarried or considered unmarried on the last day of the year. You are considered unmarried on the last day of the tax year if you meet all the following tests.

You file a separate return (defined earlier under Joint Return After Separate Returns ).

You paid more than half the cost of keeping up your home for the tax year.

Your spouse did not live in your home during the last 6 months of the tax year. Your spouse is considered to live in your home even if he or she is temporarily absent due to special circumstances. See Temporary absences , later.

also

Nonresident alien spouse. You are considered unmarried for head of household purposes if your spouse was a nonresident alien at any time during the year and you do not choose to treat your nonresident spouse as a resident alien. However, your spouse is not a qualifying person for head of household purposes.

this applies, no?

Started Talking: December 14, 2006
Met in Person: December 27, 2008
Got married : April 30, 2011

USCIS: (160 Days)
08/23/11 - I-130 Application filed and sent
08/25/11 - I-130 NOA1 Received
02/22/12 - I-130 NOA2 Received

NVC (77 days)
03/06/2012 - AOS Invoice Received with Choice Agent Form Sent
03/12/2012 - AOS Invoice: PAID and Choice Agent Form sent
03/19/2012 - AOS Package Sent
03/20/2012 - AOS Package Received by NVC
03/20/2012 - IV Invoice Received & Paid
3/23/2012 - AOS Checklist for Proof of Assets
3/24/2012 - Resent Checklist and AOS form
03/27/2012 - IV Package Sent
03/29/2012 - AOS approved
04/03/2012 - CASE COMPLETED!!! WOOHOOO - Waiting for Interview from Madrid
04/05/2012 - Interview date assigned -May 17, 2012 at 12:30 pm

U.S Embassy (28 days)
04/26/2012 - Medical checkup
05/17/2012 - Interview; Result:APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

05/23/2012 - Visa received
United States
07/19/2012 - Port of entry: Washington Dulles
07/27/2012 - SSN applied
08/07/2012 - SSN card received & Greencard Received

Removing Conditional Residency (294 days)

4/24/2014 - I-751 SENT

4/26/2014 - I-751 RECEIVED (Proof of Signature)

4/30/2014 - THREE YEAR ANNIVERSARY!!!

5/08/2014 - Check cashed

5/09/2014 - NO1 (One Year Extension Letter) Received

5/15/2014 - Bio letter received

6/05/2014 - Bio appointment date - COMPLETED

11/14/2014 - RFE Received

01/09/2015 - Response to RFE with 70 pages of proof :)

01/26/2015 - APPROVED FINALLY!!!!

02/11/2015 - 10 Year Card IN HAND! Woohoooooooooooooooooooooooo

i am just relaying what IRS person told me and on the website it clearly states that you are considered single if your spouse and you have not shared a home for last 6 months. We have never lived together, and he is a non-resident, another reason it applies. called nvc to confirm this, it was confirmed that single is fine and no additional information will be needed.

this applies, no?

Let me answer your second point first because that's easier to clear up: under normal circumstances, you must be unmarried to file as head of household. So yes, the qualifications you listed would help someone who is married qualify as unmarried for the purposes of filing as a head of household. BUT being unmarried is NOT the ONLY qualification that you need to meet to file for head of household. You must also have a qualifying dependent. See #7 on this link: http://www.irs.gov/newsroom/article/0,,id=105098,00.html

Obviously, I am not an IRS person, but everything from the IRS website contradicts what the person you spoke to said. You'll note on #3 of the link above that single filing status is for people "unmarried, divorced or legally separated according to state law." You are married under state law. Further, the only documentation that says a married person with a spouse abroad can be considered unmarried is for the purposes of remaining eligible to file as head of household. If you don't meet the other qualifications for head of household, then you don't qualify to use the unmarried status for your taxes. "You are considered unmarried for head of household purposes if your spouse was a nonresident alien at any time during the year and you do not choose to treat your nonresident spouse as a resident alien. However, your spouse is not a qualifying person for head of household purposes. You must have another qualifying person and meet the other tests to be eligible to file as a head of household." http://www.irs.gov/publications/p501/ar02.html#en_US_2011_publink1000220721

Finally, from the same publication as above: "Your filing status is single if, on the last day of the year, you are unmarried or legally separated from your spouse under a divorce or separate maintenance decree, and you do not qualify for another filing status." Because you are married, you do qualify for another filing status, which means you do not qualify to file as single.

All this has been discussed at length in other forums, as Darnell said earlier. You should take a look at those too because I'm not the only person with this opinion.

Edited by alizon

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

there are other options, of course.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

(Actually I know what he'd do.. he hadn't filled taxes with Revenue Canada since 2006. I made him sit down last summer and do all five years..)

Tooting the horn for my wonderful hubby, not only does he do the US taxes and his own Canadian taxes but he does my Canadian taxes as well. (L)

Case complete email from NVC today!! When I called the guy said they only schedule interviews during the first two weeks of every month. I saw something about this on an earlier post on this thread, but can't find it now. Does anyone know if it's true?

It took NVC nearly 3 weeks to schedule my interview in Montreal

1 Dec 2011 Mailed I-130
8 Dec 2011 NOA 1
20 Dec 2011 NOA 2

NVC

17 Jan 2012 Phoned NVC. Case Number allocated
18 Jan 2012 Emails received re AOS fee and Agent
20 Jan 2012 Electronic opt in email sent & response received
20 Jan 2012 AOS fee paid
20 Jan 2012 Form DS-261 Choice of agent filed
27 Jan 2012 Email received re choice of agent received. Can now pay IV bill
29 Jan 2012 IV bill paid
31 Jan 2012 Received written notification case at NVC (dated 18 Jan)
8 Feb 2012 Emailed AOS
9 Feb 2012 DS-260 submitted online & docs emailed
14 Feb 2012 Case Complete
5 Mar 2012 received email - interview date 10 April
10 Apr 2012 Visa Approved
10 Apr 2012 Email from Loomis - passport picked up from Consulate

June 2012 Moved back to US

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Let me answer your second point first because that's easier to clear up: under normal circumstances, you must be unmarried to file as head of household. So yes, the qualifications you listed would help someone who is married qualify as unmarried for the purposes of filing as a head of household. BUT being unmarried is NOT the ONLY qualification that you need to meet to file for head of household. You must also have a qualifying dependent. See #7 on this link: http://www.irs.gov/newsroom/article/0,,id=105098,00.html

Obviously, I am not an IRS person, but everything from the IRS website contradicts what the person you spoke to said. You'll note on #3 of the link above that single filing status is for people "unmarried, divorced or legally separated according to state law." You are married under state law. Further, the only documentation that says a married person with a spouse abroad can be considered unmarried is for the purposes of remaining eligible to file as head of household. If you don't meet the other qualifications for head of household, then you don't qualify to use the unmarried status for your taxes. "You are considered unmarried for head of household purposes if your spouse was a nonresident alien at any time during the year and you do not choose to treat your nonresident spouse as a resident alien. However, your spouse is not a qualifying person for head of household purposes. You must have another qualifying person and meet the other tests to be eligible to file as a head of household." http://www.irs.gov/publications/p501/ar02.html#en_US_2011_publink1000220721

Finally, from the same publication as above: "Your filing status is single if, on the last day of the year, you are unmarried or legally separated from your spouse under a divorce or separate maintenance decree, and you do not qualify for another filing status." Because you are married, you do qualify for another filing status, which means you do not qualify to file as single.

All this has been discussed at length in other forums, as Darnell said earlier. You should take a look at those too because I'm not the only person with this opinion.

Wow Alizon. This doesn't affect us as we have always filed MFJ but this is a great but succinct explanation. I'm sure someone will appreciate it.

1 Dec 2011 Mailed I-130
8 Dec 2011 NOA 1
20 Dec 2011 NOA 2

NVC

17 Jan 2012 Phoned NVC. Case Number allocated
18 Jan 2012 Emails received re AOS fee and Agent
20 Jan 2012 Electronic opt in email sent & response received
20 Jan 2012 AOS fee paid
20 Jan 2012 Form DS-261 Choice of agent filed
27 Jan 2012 Email received re choice of agent received. Can now pay IV bill
29 Jan 2012 IV bill paid
31 Jan 2012 Received written notification case at NVC (dated 18 Jan)
8 Feb 2012 Emailed AOS
9 Feb 2012 DS-260 submitted online & docs emailed
14 Feb 2012 Case Complete
5 Mar 2012 received email - interview date 10 April
10 Apr 2012 Visa Approved
10 Apr 2012 Email from Loomis - passport picked up from Consulate

June 2012 Moved back to US

hey everyone, the tax docs wouldn't let me pass through wihtout and ITIN or SS number for my husbands, so i called irs. i filed my taxes as single, since i talked to the IRS and they said that definition of single includes if you and your husband don't live together, and haven't in the past 6 months. does nvc know this, or do i need to have my husband explain it with proof from IRS website that this is why i had to file as 'single' because my husband is not here, nor does he file taxes in the us??? PLEASE REPLY!

No online program will allow you to file married separately/jointly. That's why you have to file by PAPER. Then you put 'NRA' in the SSN section for the spouse for MFS.

You should NOT have filed as single. You are NOT single. You are legally MARRIED. IRS agents you talked to are not familiar with cases where the spouse lives abroad.

Amend your tax return ASAP.

Goal for the Day ACHIEVED! Yaaay! IV Package is finally in the mail bound to NVC! Hooray! :dance::dance::dance:

Grats! kicking.gif

just paid the IV fee :D

for the DS-230 I´m gonna send in:

barcoded cover sheet

DS-230

copy of my passport page

passport pics

certified copy of the marriage license (IN has marriage application and license instead of license and certificate...)

original international birth certificate

original police certificate (it´s in german and english, so no problems with translations)

and a copy of all of those documents. case number on the top right corner...

did i forget anything?

Grats! kicking.gif

And your list looks good good.gif

Case complete email from NVC today!! When I called the guy said they only schedule interviews during the first two weeks of every month. I saw something about this on an earlier post on this thread, but can't find it now. Does anyone know if it's true?

Grats on the CC!

And operators are lying when they say they only schedule interviews during the second week. They schedule ALL month long. Proof: I was scheduled during the FOURTH week.

i tried doing that, i filed online, it didn't let me, so i called IRS and followed their rules, which was to file single, called NVC to confirm, this is right.

Again, you can't file online if the spouse doesn't have a SSN/ITIN, so you HAVE to file by paper. Filing single is not right.

No online program will allow you to file married separately/jointly. That's why you have to file by PAPER. Then you put 'NRA' in the SSN section for the spouse for MFS.

You should NOT have filed as single. You are NOT single. You are legally MARRIED. IRS agents you talked to are not familiar with cases where the spouse lives abroad.

Amend your tax return ASAP.

Again, you can't file online if the spouse doesn't have a SSN/ITIN, so you HAVE to file by paper. Filing single is not right.

Thanks for the back up! :thumbs:

Thanks for the back up! :thumbs:

No problem. It amazes me how stupid those IRS agents can be, telling people they can file single when they're legally married. They're worse than NVC operators!!

No problem. It amazes me how stupid those IRS agents can be, telling people they can file single when they're legally married. They're worse than NVC operators!!

Yeah, I prefer to go with what's in black and white on the website. I never catch the agents/operators names and ID numbers, so if I followed their instructions and did something wrong, I would never know who to blame it on! At least with text, there's something relatively stable to point to if you get in some kind of trouble.

Yeah, I prefer to go with what's in black and white on the website. I never catch the agents/operators names and ID numbers, so if I followed their instructions and did something wrong, I would never know who to blame it on! At least with text, there's something relatively stable to point to if you get in some kind of trouble.

Exactly.

Plus it's common sense. Why file single if you're married?

Exactly.

Plus it's common sense. Why file single if you're married?

Because married filing jointly takes extra work (W-7, etc.) and married filing separately gets you a smaller return than filing single. :whistle:

Because married filing jointly takes extra work (W-7, etc.) and married filing separately gets you a smaller return than filing single. :whistle:

So, to those people, they'd rather get a bigger refund and do less work. Good luck at the interview if they see you filed single. Could be a red flag in certain countries. Not exactly the best proof of bona fide relationship. Silly people headbonk.gif But I'm sure people have done it and not gotten caught... No way would I risk it.

So, to those people, they'd rather get a bigger refund and do less work. Good luck at the interview if they see you filed single. Could be a red flag in certain countries. Not exactly the best proof of bona fide relationship. Silly people headbonk.gif But I'm sure people have done it and not gotten caught... No way would I risk it.

Saylin my husband filled head of house hold coz he had dependents.He said he is gonna amend it when i come to states.(i thought he filled single but when i saw his transcript it was head of household).Will that be a problem?

06/03/11-Got Married!!

USCIS(199)Days ROC

08/12/11-I-130 Sent 04/15/14-I-751 Sent
08/15/11-(NOA1) Hard copy received(08/17/2011) 04/17/14-I-751 Delivered

02/21/12-Expedite Request sent 05/05/14-Check cashed & NOA received (receipt date 4/18)
02/28/12-Supporting Documents Sent 05/12/14-Biometrics letter received (scheduled for 6/4)
03/01/12-Receive USCIS letter(expedite request is under review) 05/16/14-Early walk-in Biometrics
03/01/12-(NOA2) Approved!!Received via email & sms. 11/07/14-Approval letter received dated (11/04/14)

NVC(21)Days 11/15/14-GC received
03/05/12-NVC Received (3 days after NOA2 approval)
03/20/12-Receive Case #,IIN&BIN # from NVC & give email addresses.

03/21/12-Submit DS-261 & sent in Optin email
03/22/12-Optin acceptance email received & AOS bill invoiced & paid
03/23/12-AOS bill appears as PAID.
03/26/12-Emailed I-864 Package.
03/30/12-IV bill invoiced & paid.
03/30/12-AOS package has been reviewd & accepted as per operator
04/04/12-IV bill appears as PAID,submitted DS-260,emailed IV pckge
04/06/12-IV checklist as per Operator & RESEND PCC.
04/09/12-Receive IV Checklist in Email
04/10/12-CC (received CASE COMPLETE!!! email)
05/03/12-Interview date assigned for June 11 (Reschedule 4 May 22)
Medical/US Consulate/POE
05/15/12-Medical at Toronto
05/22/12-Interview--APPROVED!!!
05/25/12-Visa Received/ In Hand!
05/27/12-POE at Queenston Bridge (Lewiston,NY)

iei0pv8engaw9.png

Saylin my husband filled head of house hold coz he had dependents.He said he is gonna amend it when i come to states.(i thought he filled single but when i saw his transcript it was head of household).Will that be a problem?

I think that shouldn't be a problem. That's the one filing status that it's okay to be considered "unmarried" for when your spouse is a nonresident.

HoH is fine. MFS or MFJ is better, but HoH is legal whereas filing single is not.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.