alwayshappy

K1 Entry in US --Do we apply for SSN before or after the marriage

7 posts in this topic

Hi Guys,

My fiancee will be here next week and I am looking to get married in next week or so. I was checking our local probate court requirements for marriage. It seems like she needs to have SSN. How is that possible? Can she apply for SSN before registering the marriage or how does this work? Can someone please help me out here. Am I missing something in the process?

Thank you Guys !!

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Apply as soon as you can, some on the site say wait two weeks upon entry, we did, but never the less get it ASAP, you can change it later after you get a green card easily. Have fun,

Here is the VJ information, look under K1, http://www.visajourney.com/content/ssn

Edited by bigdog

In Arizona its hot hot hot.

http://www.uscis.gov/dateCalculator.html

Thank you guys for the useful information :)

So if I understood correctly, we need to get her SSN card before we can actually get married in court right -- except in Vegas :)

Edited by alwayshappy

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

Which state are from/getting married in?

K1 process, October 2010 > POE, July 2011

I-129F approved in 180 days from NOA1 date. (195 days from filing to NOA2 in hand)

Interview took 224 days from I-129F NOA1 date. (241 days from filing petition until visa in hand)

From filing I-129F petition until POE: 285 days

Click timeline or "about me" for all details.

AOS process, December 2011 > July 2012

EAD/AP Approval took 51 days from NOA1 date to email update. (77 days from filing until EAD/AP in hand)

AOS Approval took 206 days from NOA1 date to email update. (231 days from filing until greencard in hand)

From filing I-129F petition until greencard in hand: 655 days

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

SSN is required for an Alabama marriage license. Try going to SSA a couple of days after POE and apply for SSN. If they can't find the name in the system, then come back a day or two later. At POE the name is typed into a database. That database has to be updated and it can take some time, sometimes not. That's why some people get it sooner and others have to wait around 10 days. I had the card in the mail 10 days after POE.

One of the reasons why it's possible to get a SSN for a K1 is because of what you're experiencing; that your state requires it to get a marriage license/get married.

A minimum of one country in Alabama has a waiting period of 3 days from applying for marr. license until you can get married btw - look into which country you're from and call the country clerk's office to get up-to-date information about fees and waiting time. When you go to hand in the marriage license, try getting a certified copy. You'll need it for AOS and when you're there anyways, you'll save some time. I had around 5 made, one for AOS and then insurance, BMV(state ID) etc.

K1 process, October 2010 > POE, July 2011

I-129F approved in 180 days from NOA1 date. (195 days from filing to NOA2 in hand)

Interview took 224 days from I-129F NOA1 date. (241 days from filing petition until visa in hand)

From filing I-129F petition until POE: 285 days

AOS process, December 2011 > July 2012

EAD/AP Approval took 51 days from NOA1 date to email update. (77 days from filing until EAD/AP in hand)

AOS Approval took 206 days from NOA1 date to email update. (231 days from filing until greencard in hand)

From filing I-129F petition until greencard in hand: 655 days

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.