Roxxi

Getting tourist visa and being in early retirement..

17 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I hope someone has any insight into this...

I'm Swedish and would like to apply for the B1 tourist visa so I can stay for a longer vacation than 90 days.. I've read the requirements but am not sure about my situation. I'm in what is best described as "early retirement" for medical reasons, I guess it would be called disability pension in the US? So I don't work...have income every month (though small)but can otherwise travel. I'm 45 if that makes a difference..

Would this situation be good or bad regarding getting the visa approved??

I have been in the US plenty of times under VWP, for weeks and months but never overstayed.

I have plenty of friends in the US to visit and stay etc...

I don't have family here in Sweden (parents dead etc) but I have a lease on a apartment.

Based on your experiences would this visa be approved or denied, what do you think?

:)

Edited by Roxxi

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Well, 2 possible issues are your lack of ties to Sweden (it seems like you simply have an apartment lease) and the reasons why you cannot simply travel on the WVP

Remember, if your B tourist visa is denied, it could impact your use of the WVP

Good luck

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

I think you have a reasonable chance of getting approved. I know some Irish pensioners who got approved for similar reasons. I assume you have travel insurance or similar to cover your disability. should the need arise while in the USA?

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Well, 2 possible issues are your lack of ties to Sweden (it seems like you simply have an apartment lease) and the reasons why you cannot simply travel on the WVP

Remember, if your B tourist visa is denied, it could impact your use of the WVP

Good luck

Yes, that's what I'm afraid of...not being able to use the waiver again....

the reason for not using the waiver and my ESTA (which is valid) is of course that I wanna stay longer, hopefully an entire winter

This lack of ties confuses me... the fact that I need to be a swedish resident to recieve my benefits shouldn't that be a tie to my country?

I think you have a reasonable chance of getting approved. I know some Irish pensioners who got approved for similar reasons. I assume you have travel insurance or similar to cover your disability. should the need arise while in the USA?

Yes I would get a travel insurance...

Thanks for your replies so far :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Yes, that's what I'm afraid of...not being able to use the waiver again....

the reason for not using the waiver and my ESTA (which is valid) is of course that I wanna stay longer, hopefully an entire winter

This lack of ties confuses me... the fact that I need to be a swedish resident to recieve my benefits shouldn't that be a tie to my country?

Absolutly! However, I think this needs to be made clear at your interview. I always err on the side of caution

Good luck

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

If you have a small pension how can you afford to visit the US for so long?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Have you though of going to Mexico?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

If you have a small pension how can you afford to visit the US for so long?

This is a very Scandinavia specific issue. Scandinavian wages and pensions are usually very high in US standards. Even a «low-end» one. It's not uncommon for a burger flipper at McDonald's to make the equivalent of $20 USD an hour. My grand mother's «minimum» pension equaled the salary of an average American retail job. This is because prices in the US are generally 30% - 40% lower than in Scandinavia. The COs are aware of this.

To the OP - I can't give you a specific answer, only the consular officer in Stockholm and the immigration officer at the US border can. But I think your chances of getting the visa are fairly good. Scandinavian countries are generally considered very low fraud countries, and you can show ties such as income and an apartment lease.

I would bring a letter from the place paying your pensions stating how much you get paid, and that in order to get your pension you have to be a Swedish resident. It's probably also a good idea to note why you receive this pension. Also bring an apartment lease. Ultimately, it's up to the consular officer, but knowing how pensions work in Scandinavia, and having dealt with the embassy in Oslo on numerous occasions, I'd say your chances are pretty good. The COs in Oslo (and I'd assume Stockholm) are generally very nice, friendly and helpful.

If you get the visa, don't forget to bring whatever evidence you have with you on the plane. The CBP officer at the US airport had the final say, even if the embassy approved your visa.

On that note, if you are denied the visa, you may be ineligible for the VWP again. This does not maan you can't apply for a 90 day visa later though.

Lykke til! :-)

Edited by jhsm85

This is a very Scandinavia specific issue. Scandinavian wages and pensions are usually very high in US standards. Even a «low-end» one. It's not uncommon for a burger flipper at McDonald's to make the equivalent of $20 USD an hour. My grand mother's «minimum» pension equaled the salary of an average American retail job. This is because prices in the US are generally 30% - 40% lower than in Scandinavia. The COs are aware of this.

To the OP - I can't give you a specific answer, only the consular officer in Stockholm and the immigration officer at the US border can. But I think your chances of getting the visa are fairly good. Scandinavian countries are generally considered very low fraud countries, and you can show ties such as income and an apartment lease.

I would bring a letter from the place paying your pensions stating how much you get paid, and that in order to get your pension you have to be a Swedish resident. It's probably also a good idea to note why you receive this pension. Also bring an apartment lease. Ultimately, it's up to the consular officer, but knowing how pensions work in Scandinavia, and having dealt with the embassy in Oslo on numerous occasions, I'd say your chances are pretty good. The COs in Oslo (and I'd assume Stockholm) are generally very nice, friendly and helpful.

If you get the visa, don't forget to bring whatever evidence you have with you on the plane. The CBP officer at the US airport had the final say, even if the embassy approved your visa.

On that note, if you are denied the visa, you may be ineligible for the VWP again. This does not maan you can't apply for a 90 day visa later though.

Lykke til! :-)

Thank you for the input :)

yes I thought of that too...that swedish pensions are high in comparison to some US wages.

I thought that if I'm denied I can't go there at all?

I hope someone has any insight into this...

I'm Swedish and would like to apply for the B1 tourist visa so I can stay for a longer vacation than 90 days.. I've read the requirements but am not sure about my situation. I'm in what is best described as "early retirement" for medical reasons, I guess it would be called disability pension in the US? So I don't work...have income every month (though small)but can otherwise travel. I'm 45 if that makes a difference..

Would this situation be good or bad regarding getting the visa approved??

I have been in the US plenty of times under VWP, for weeks and months but never overstayed.

I have plenty of friends in the US to visit and stay etc...

I don't have family here in Sweden (parents dead etc) but I have a lease on a apartment.

Based on your experiences would this visa be approved or denied, what do you think?

:)

The B1 would only get you 180 days max; and eventually, someone might be asking why so many trips of long stay; thus I'd say it depends on what your long term plans are to choose an arrangement that would be the least of a hassle -given that it seems you are planning many stays-

I'd say that a B1 would not be too difficult, I know several people who for one reason or another came to the US for longer periods to what ended up being years. I myself was in that category mit en svensk kvinna, who was the one staying long periods and she was eventually asked. She was traveling with me (this is a prior relationship I had several years ago) and then once I explained that we were going back and forth, were together in sambo and I was the USC, things went easier) But also this was pre-9/11 and I think things might have tighten now.

Lycka till!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

:bonk: :bonk: :bonk: :bonk:

:bonk: Pfffttttttttt hahaha

Oct 28,2006 Met online in Yahoo messenger
Dec 2,2007 Traveled to Morocco and decided to stay
Jan 7,2008 Got married in Zaio
Mar 2,2008 Got my Moroccan residency
Oct 23,2008 Direct Consular filed at consulate
Oct 31,2008 Got interview call for Dec 22nd
Nov 11,2008 Medical exam done
Dec 22,2008 Interview and got approved
Dec 23,2008 Visa issued, thanks to God
Jan 20,2009 Flew home to Texas.
Jan 21,2009 Living and working in Los Fresnos, Texas
Oct 30,2010 Filed I-751 Lifting of Conditions
Nov 2, 2010 NOA1
Dec 10,2010 Biometrics
Mar 23,2011 Approved Lifting of Conditions
Oct 28,2011 Filed N-400 Naturalization
Nov 02,2011 NOA 1
Nov 28,2011 Recd text/email placed inline for interview schedule
Dec 01,2011 Recd text/email interview scheduled,pending letter
Jan 10,2012 Interview Date
Jan 10,2012 Interview Cancelled and will be rescheduled per
USCIS as Farid can only interview after Jan 20th
Feb 23,2012 Citizenship Interview Date-Farid passed. Wohoo
July 6,2012 Oath Ceremony-McAllen Texas

March 20,2013 Petitioned for Momma

March 9, 2015 Momma arrives in Texas to live with us.

January 30, 2016 Momma leaves back to Morocco for a visit.

The B1 would only get you 180 days max; and eventually, someone might be asking why so many trips of long stay; thus I'd say it depends on what your long term plans are to choose an arrangement that would be the least of a hassle -given that it seems you are planning many stays-I'd say that a B1 would not be too difficult, I know several people who for one reason or another came to the US for longer periods to what ended up being years. I myself was in that category mit en svensk kvinna, who was the one staying long periods and she was eventually asked. She was traveling with me (this is a prior relationship I had several years ago) and then once I explained that we were going back and forth, were together in sambo and I was the USC, things went easier) But also this was pre-9/11 and I think things might have tighten now.Lycka till!

I didn't get the impression she's planning to take multiple trips over a long period of time.. Just an extended visit of up to 180 days.

But yes. None of us can guarantee anything, but given the situation, I'd say the odds are in your favor. :-)

Lykke til, og god tur!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Norway
Timeline

that swedish pensions are high in comparison to some US wages.

My husband receives a disability pension from Norway and with the current exchange he makes over 2 times more than I gross in a month and I work full time. Sort of wish I could retire early :) but in order for us to have insurance on him (because he is not in Norway) I will continue to work. I agree things are very expensive over in that area of the world in comparison to how things are here... to my husband it is as if it is Christmas each month for all that he can get here compared to there.

I wish you all the luck in the world.

I-129F Sent : 10-04-2010

I-129F NOA1 : 10-12-2010

Touched: 10-21-2010

NOA2: 03-16-2011

Vermont Service Center

Interview: 05-18-2011

Fiance' Visa Approved: 12Jul2011

POE - Newark Airport November 20, 2011

Married: December 8, 2011

AOS package sent to Chicago Lockbox on Feb. 13, 2012

I-485 transfered to Laguna Niguel CA on March 17, 2012

EAD - received from Lee's Summit, MO on April 18, 2012

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.