Mononoke28

Colombia Club Part IV

504 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Colombia
Timeline

I just booked my appointment :dance: !!

I received the email from the embassy yesterday afternoon with the Packet 3/4 info. I created my fiancee's account on the visa portal, paid the fee and was able to book the appointment for October 22, which is just 3 weeks away!!!!!

Was that the earliest interview date you could see?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Diana Please Help,

After years of waiting, my 19 year old sister and 3year old nephew are coming to the US this Saturday. They are going from Cali to Bogota via LAN (Friday night), then Delta from Bogota to JFK, then to Chicago, QUESTION: Is there a tax that they will have to pay to leave bogota??? anything else I should anticipate.FYI, the father was not ever in the Picture, embassy just asked why he wasnt on the birth certificate, she explained. She got all her papers/passport. Ready to Fly. So excited, want to make sure all goes ok.

Thanks,

Karen

Update they are here!!! well Im at work they are at home. 1) I sent them extra cash in case of taxes which they ended up not having to pay. 2) no issues with just one parent on the birth certificate, the baby has only her last name and no father is listed on the cerficate. My mom just had my sister get an extra stamp on the birth certificate for traveling. The dad never wanted to be in the picture even after my mom tried to get him to be involved. Oh well he is so cute and asked me whose taxi we were in (my car). Its weird though, waiting all these years now what...

This site has really helped me though, thanksssss

Hi To All,

I have thankfully been away from the immigration process for a while but spent many many hours here while going through the process of getting visas for my fiance (now wife) and children and finally permanent green cards without conditions. I am not sure if we would have made it without the help of the Visa Journey community. I will be forever grateful to the assistance we received here.

Now I unexpectedly find myself back here because I need some assistance and time is very short.

Just this morning I was told that my wife's very good friend has an interview at the embassy tomorrow morning and gee, "is there anything she should do to prepare?" Yikes! Thanks for the advance notice dear. :bonk:

I gather that the petitioner (husband) is not terribly enthusiastic about having his wife join him but he apparently has started the process because it has gotten to the point where she has an interview scheduled.

Here is what I know:

• Her husband is a permanent resident (not a citizen). He has been in the US for approximately 8 years. There have been visits home to Colombia but not frequent and I do not think she has any documentation of those visits.
  • She is in Colombia and has never been to the US.
  • She has an interview tomorrow. Her husband is with her.
  • She had a doctor's appointment this morning in Bogota.
  • She is prepared with only a passport, whatever she received from the doctor this morning, and the interview appointment letter.

I know the answers to all my questions are here somewhere but candidly I do not have time to read through everything in time. I will review what I can but if anyone can provide some pertinent information and tips or links to the same I would appreciate it greatly!

Here are the questions that come to mind but I am sure there are some other things I should know about also.

• I assume her husband filed an I-130 but after that I get a little confused. Is she now going through the I-485 process or is she going through consular processing?
  • If she got to the interview stage, was the affidavit of support already approved or is that evaluated during the interview?
  • Where can I find a recent list of Bogota interview questions?
  • Is there anything special she needs to be aware of regarding the interview?
  • In the likely event that she does not have all the pieces of the puzzle assembled, will she be given a chance to correct deficiencies or is the interview her only shot?
  • Does she need a DAS or police certificate (Certificado Judicial)? If so, is there any way to obtain it quickly? She is in Bogota now.

Thanks to everyone for their help! :)

Bill

My Timeline:

7/27/07 VSC rcvd I-129F--8/7/07 NOA1 issued--12/12/07 NOA2 issued--12/27/07 Pkg 3 returned--2/29/08 Interview & Approval--4/1/08 POE--6/27/08 Married--6/27/08-6/5/09 Trying to figure out how to make this work--6/11/09 Submitted AOS forms--6/19/09 NOA's issued--7/21 Biometrics--7/27 Rcvd 2 of 3 Interview appt letters for 8/24--8/3 Rcvd 3rd interview appt letter for 8/28--8/5 Used infopass appt to consolidate interviews on 8/28--8/6/09 Rcvd email notification of AP & EAD approvals--8/11&12 Rcvd AP's in mail--8/14 Rcvd 1st EAD card in mail.--8/23/11 Mailed ROC Pkg.--8/24/11 NOA--10/5/11 Biometrics

My Favorite Links & Threads:

CSC & VSC K1 & K3 Recent approvals

Colombia Club Part 1 & Colombia Club Part 2

RFE List Learn from others' mistakes.

Red Flags Learn what to try to avoid or prepare to discuss and explain during interview.

HUSKERKIEV Thread Great insider tips from a former adjudicator at the Nebraska Service Center.

Timeline

Hi To All,

I have thankfully been away from the immigration process for a while but spent many many hours here while going through the process of getting visas for my fiance (now wife) and children and finally permanent green cards without conditions. I am not sure if we would have made it without the help of the Visa Journey community. I will be forever grateful to the assistance we received here.

Now I unexpectedly find myself back here because I need some assistance and time is very short.

Just this morning I was told that my wife's very good friend has an interview at the embassy tomorrow morning and gee, "is there anything she should do to prepare?" Yikes! Thanks for the advance notice dear. :bonk:

I gather that the petitioner (husband) is not terribly enthusiastic about having his wife join him but he apparently has started the process because it has gotten to the point where she has an interview scheduled.

Here is what I know:

• Her husband is a permanent resident (not a citizen). He has been in the US for approximately 8 years. There have been visits home to Colombia but not frequent and I do not think she has any documentation of those visits.
  • She is in Colombia and has never been to the US.
  • She has an interview tomorrow. Her husband is with her.
  • She had a doctor's appointment this morning in Bogota.
  • She is prepared with only a passport, whatever she received from the doctor this morning, and the interview appointment letter.

I know the answers to all my questions are here somewhere but candidly I do not have time to read through everything in time. I will review what I can but if anyone can provide some pertinent information and tips or links to the same I would appreciate it greatly!

Here are the questions that come to mind but I am sure there are some other things I should know about also.

• I assume her husband filed an I-130 but after that I get a little confused. Is she now going through the I-485 process or is she going through consular processing?
  • If she got to the interview stage, was the affidavit of support already approved or is that evaluated during the interview?
  • Where can I find a recent list of Bogota interview questions?
  • Is there anything special she needs to be aware of regarding the interview?
  • In the likely event that she does not have all the pieces of the puzzle assembled, will she be given a chance to correct deficiencies or is the interview her only shot?
  • Does she need a DAS or police certificate (Certificado Judicial)? If so, is there any way to obtain it quickly? She is in Bogota now.

Thanks to everyone for their help! :)

Bill

Hi Bill,

Since he's a permanent resident that means he filed an I-130, went through NVC processing and everything should be at the embassy for their interview. This includes the AOS and DS-230 w/ civil documents, and she won't have to file for Adjustment of Status when she arrives. She will also be getting her 10 year green card, so she won't have to file to Remove Conditions since they've been married for more than two years.

The DAS certificate is not needed anymore and they already sent the police certificate to the NVC for processing before they had their interview scheduled.

The only thing they need to bring with them is enough evidence to prove that their marriage is legit. It's a good thing he's there for the interview should the CO have any questions regarding their relationship. If for some reason they ask to see an additional document or further evidence, they will be advised to send it to the embassy for review before they are approved.

I think the only thing she needs to worry about is that her husband is not too thrilled to have her move to the US to be with him after so long. You would think he'd be counting the days! LOL.

Diana

CR-1

02/05/07 - I-130 sent to NSC

05/03/07 - NOA2

05/10/07 - NVC receives petition, case # assigned

08/08/07 - Case Complete

09/27/07 - Interview, visa granted

10/02/07 - POE

11/16/07 - Received green card and Welcome to America letter in the mail

Removing Conditions

07/06/09 - I-751 sent to CSC

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

10/01/09 - Received 10 year green card

U.S. Citizenship

03/30/11 - N-400 sent via Priority Mail w/ delivery confirmation

05/12/11 - Biometrics

07/20/11 - Interview - passed

07/20/11 - Oath ceremony - same day as interview

Diana,

Thanks so much for your prompt help. It is greatly appreciated!

If they have gotten to the interview stage, have they passed the affidavit of support hurdle yet?

It is good news that she will have an opportunity to fill in any blanks. I suspect she does have any evidence with her to prove that their marriage is legitimate. Hopefully that will be the only thing she lacks and she will be able to provide it later.

As to the husband's lack of enthusiasm... well I am staying away from that one! :whistle:

Thanks again!

Bill

My Timeline:

7/27/07 VSC rcvd I-129F--8/7/07 NOA1 issued--12/12/07 NOA2 issued--12/27/07 Pkg 3 returned--2/29/08 Interview & Approval--4/1/08 POE--6/27/08 Married--6/27/08-6/5/09 Trying to figure out how to make this work--6/11/09 Submitted AOS forms--6/19/09 NOA's issued--7/21 Biometrics--7/27 Rcvd 2 of 3 Interview appt letters for 8/24--8/3 Rcvd 3rd interview appt letter for 8/28--8/5 Used infopass appt to consolidate interviews on 8/28--8/6/09 Rcvd email notification of AP & EAD approvals--8/11&12 Rcvd AP's in mail--8/14 Rcvd 1st EAD card in mail.--8/23/11 Mailed ROC Pkg.--8/24/11 NOA--10/5/11 Biometrics

My Favorite Links & Threads:

CSC & VSC K1 & K3 Recent approvals

Colombia Club Part 1 & Colombia Club Part 2

RFE List Learn from others' mistakes.

Red Flags Learn what to try to avoid or prepare to discuss and explain during interview.

HUSKERKIEV Thread Great insider tips from a former adjudicator at the Nebraska Service Center.

Timeline

Diana,

Thanks so much for your prompt help. It is greatly appreciated!

If they have gotten to the interview stage, have they passed the affidavit of support hurdle yet?

It is good news that she will have an opportunity to fill in any blanks. I suspect she does have any evidence with her to prove that their marriage is legitimate. Hopefully that will be the only thing she lacks and she will be able to provide it later.

As to the husband's lack of enthusiasm... well I am staying away from that one! :whistle:

Thanks again!

Bill

Yes, CR/IR visa petitioners send all of their Affidavit of Support documents to the NVC before the interview is scheduled. An interview cannot be scheduled without having completed this step first.

Diana

CR-1

05/03/07 - NOA2

08/08/07 - Case Complete

10/02/07 - POE

Removing Conditions

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

U.S. Citizenship

05/12/11 - Biometrics

Timeline

I am preparing the form DS-156 question 37 asks if any of the following people are in the US, and their status. My fiancee's sister has been living in the US for a long time (for more than 10 years) but to my knowledge hasn't been legal and is just now adjusting her status. I am assuming I have to check the box that her sister is here, but what should I put for status? She isn't a citizen, nor is she an LPR. Can I write ADJ. STATUS ? I don't want to screw up her sister's process, but at the same time I don't want to screw up the process with my fiancee either.

Timeline

I am preparing the form DS-156 question 37 asks if any of the following people are in the US, and their status. My fiancee's sister has been living in the US for a long time (for more than 10 years) but to my knowledge hasn't been legal and is just now adjusting her status. I am assuming I have to check the box that her sister is here, but what should I put for status? She isn't a citizen, nor is she an LPR. Can I write ADJ. STATUS ? I don't want to screw up her sister's process, but at the same time I don't want to screw up the process with my fiancee either.

She definitely needs to put down the name(s) of anyone listed on that form that is living in the US, especially if the embassy brings it up during the interview. As for her sister's status, she can put "Adjusting immigration status" or something along those lines.

Diana

CR-1

05/03/07 - NOA2

08/08/07 - Case Complete

10/02/07 - POE

Removing Conditions

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

U.S. Citizenship

05/12/11 - Biometrics

Timeline

She definitely needs to put down the name(s) of anyone listed on that form that is living in the US, especially if the embassy brings it up during the interview. As for her sister's status, she can put "Adjusting immigration status" or something along those lines.

Diana

Thanks so much that is what I thought.

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

I have a question about the form DS-230. My fiancee gave me all her dates of employment history the last 10 years, but there is a gap. Do I need to explain the gap in employment (she was unemployed), or will it be OK like it is? Should I just attach another sheet (I've already used up all the lines on the form) to explain it?

Timeline

I have a question about the form DS-230. My fiancee gave me all her dates of employment history the last 10 years, but there is a gap. Do I need to explain the gap in employment (she was unemployed), or will it be OK like it is? Should I just attach another sheet (I've already used up all the lines on the form) to explain it?

No need to explain the gap since the form doesn't ask for it. If the CO has questions about it, he/she will ask her during the interview.

Diana

CR-1

05/03/07 - NOA2

08/08/07 - Case Complete

10/02/07 - POE

Removing Conditions

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

U.S. Citizenship

05/12/11 - Biometrics

Timeline

Is it necessary to have the baptismal certificate for the interview?

Not anymore unless the beneficiary has a birth certificate that was issued more than two years after their birth, which some times may happen.

Diana

CR-1

05/03/07 - NOA2

08/08/07 - Case Complete

10/02/07 - POE

Removing Conditions

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

U.S. Citizenship

05/12/11 - Biometrics

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

Hi, we just had our interview Tuesday and everything went so smoothly!! I was with her during the interview, but I think me being there helped even though the consulate never asked me anything. He asked her a ton of questions, which she knew all the answers...and after taking her fingerprints, he told her that her visa was approved!! We brought so much proof of relationship which they never even asked for. Also they never asked for the form DS230.

I think because we were so organized with all of our documents, from the I-129f petition which was sitting in front of the consulate to all the documents we needed to bring to the interview, that it was a simple approval for us. We are so happy and now just waiting for her to come here.

I added an embassy review to my timeline, also she wrote about her experience here: COLOMBIANOS CON VISA K1 (CONTINUACION 6)

Edited by aws&ndd

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.