Mononoke28

Colombia Club Part IV

504 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Right. There is nothing to pay at the embassy.

Good luck! :thumbs:

Diana

She got her Visa!!! She got to the embassy at 6:30 am for her 7:30 am appointment. She was the first and only person in line 3. At 8:15 am, she had her actual interview. They asked her my name, occupation, where we met, how many times I've visited her, last time I went to Colombia, and method of communication. Just 5 minutes later, she got the good news -- welcome to the US!!! So, she was out at 8:20 am. The consulate was very appreciative that she had all of her papers organized ahead of time. She will get her Visa in 5-10 days.

Edited by ucaggie

K1

USCIS (CSC)

129F received (NOA1) - 3/14/2012

129F approved (NOA2) - 7/18/2012

NVC

Case received - 7/25/2012

Case sent to Bogota Embassy - 7/27/2012

Bogota Embassy

Interview - 9/21/2012 APPROVED!!!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

My husband had to fill out an AR-11 twice and both times he said it was the easiest form he's had to fill out for immigration purposes. I never saw it but he said it was easy and simple. Also, I'm not sure if there is anything for you to print out but it's always best to fill out just in case.

One more thing, don't forget to send your I-865 since you're sponsoring her to be here in the US.

Good luck!

Diana

Thanks! I already sent off my I-865, and I just printed out the AR-11 for my wife and I'm going to send it this weekend. I do have a couple of questions.

"I am in the US as a: Visitor, Student, Permanent Resident, Other". Obviously we are applying for permanent residency, but she is not yet permanent. Should we put "other" and write in "AOS pending" or something?

"If not a permanent resident, my stay n the US expires on: mm/dd/yyyy". Kind of the same question. She's obviously not been granted permanent residency yet, but there is no expiration date for her stay here since we are now married.

Last question is about the actual address. It asks for present address, which is easy enough. Then it asks for "previous address". Should I put my parents address, which was on all the original K-1/I129F paperwork, even though she only stayed there for 10 days after her arrival? I assume that's what i'm supposed to put, and not her previous address in Colombia.

Timeline

Thanks! I already sent off my I-865, and I just printed out the AR-11 for my wife and I'm going to send it this weekend. I do have a couple of questions.

"I am in the US as a: Visitor, Student, Permanent Resident, Other". Obviously we are applying for permanent residency, but she is not yet permanent. Should we put "other" and write in "AOS pending" or something?

"If not a permanent resident, my stay n the US expires on: mm/dd/yyyy". Kind of the same question. She's obviously not been granted permanent residency yet, but there is no expiration date for her stay here since we are now married.

Last question is about the actual address. It asks for present address, which is easy enough. Then it asks for "previous address". Should I put my parents address, which was on all the original K-1/I129F paperwork, even though she only stayed there for 10 days after her arrival? I assume that's what i'm supposed to put, and not her previous address in Colombia.

Since she's not a permanent resident you can put "AOS pending" or "I-485 pending" so they know she's adjusting her status in the US.

In the question about her visa expiration you can put the same thing or "N/A, AOS process pending", something like that since her status doesn't have an expiration date.

For previous address, put the US address the USCIS has on file for her.

Diana

CR-1

02/05/07 - I-130 sent to NSC

05/03/07 - NOA2

05/10/07 - NVC receives petition, case # assigned

08/08/07 - Case Complete

09/27/07 - Interview, visa granted

10/02/07 - POE

11/16/07 - Received green card and Welcome to America letter in the mail

Removing Conditions

07/06/09 - I-751 sent to CSC

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

10/01/09 - Received 10 year green card

U.S. Citizenship

03/30/11 - N-400 sent via Priority Mail w/ delivery confirmation

05/12/11 - Biometrics

07/20/11 - Interview - passed

07/20/11 - Oath ceremony - same day as interview

Timeline

She got her Visa!!! She got to the embassy at 6:30 am for her 7:30 am appointment. She was the first and only person in line 3. At 8:15 am, she had her actual interview. They asked her my name, occupation, where we met, how many times I've visited her, last time I went to Colombia, and method of communication. Just 5 minutes later, she got the good news -- welcome to the US!!! So, she was out at 8:20 am. The consulate was very appreciative that she had all of her papers organized ahead of time. She will get her Visa in 5-10 days.

Congratulations!!! :thumbs:

Diana

CR-1

02/05/07 - I-130 sent to NSC

05/03/07 - NOA2

05/10/07 - NVC receives petition, case # assigned

08/08/07 - Case Complete

09/27/07 - Interview, visa granted

10/02/07 - POE

11/16/07 - Received green card and Welcome to America letter in the mail

Removing Conditions

07/06/09 - I-751 sent to CSC

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

10/01/09 - Received 10 year green card

U.S. Citizenship

03/30/11 - N-400 sent via Priority Mail w/ delivery confirmation

05/12/11 - Biometrics

07/20/11 - Interview - passed

07/20/11 - Oath ceremony - same day as interview

Timeline

That's great news congratulations!!

Thanks. Good luck to you too! Looks like you are waiting for NOA2. I'll recap my process so this might help you:

Took us 4 months to get the NOA2, then 5-7 days more to get a case number (BGTXXXXXXXXXX). After we got our case number, I sent the embassy an e-mail. They replied with packet 3/4 instructions. The instructions contain a website where you register and schedule your interview date -- the closest appointment was 2 weeks from the date we registered. This is also where you pay the $240, and you will immediately be able to schedule your appointment. ***When you register, remember that PASSPORT NUMBER is the number in red dots (my fiancee's number started with 2 letters, AJ), not that number under "passport number". Yes, this sounds confusing, but I made this mistake and had to call in to change it.***

There are 3 panel physicians that are listed in the packet and we chose Dr. Dennis. He was very professional according to my fiancee. He also accepted the DPT, MMR, and varicela vaccines she received 12 days prior to her doctor's visit in Palmira. The only vaccine she needed was the flu vaccine which costed 40.000.

This morning, she had her interview at 7:30 am and she arrived at 6:30 am. She went to line 3 and was the only person. All the line 1 visitor's visa applicants were definitely envious of her position in line. She had all of the papers organized in the order specified in the packet. Consulate was definitely pleased with her organization, which made their job easier. I think organization is key to getting a pleasant interview. She remarked that others applying for nonimmigrant visas were fidgeting for papers because they were not organized. One woman didn't even have her passport pic glued to her DS-156 form and the consulate seemed bothered that she couldn't follow simple instructions. She had her interview at 8:15 am and was out by 8:20 am!!! She called me about the great news at around 8:30 am her time and I thought, "no way that's my fiancee and if it is, that's record time".

K1

USCIS (CSC)

NVC

Bogota Embassy

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Thanks. Good luck to you too! Looks like you are waiting for NOA2. I'll recap my process so this might help you:

Took us 4 months to get the NOA2, then 5-7 days more to get a case number (BGTXXXXXXXXXX). After we got our case number, I sent the embassy an e-mail. They replied with packet 3/4 instructions. The instructions contain a website where you register and schedule your interview date -- the closest appointment was 2 weeks from the date we registered. This is also where you pay the $240, and you will immediately be able to schedule your appointment. ***When you register, remember that PASSPORT NUMBER is the number in red dots (my fiancee's number started with 2 letters, AJ), not that number under "passport number". Yes, this sounds confusing, but I made this mistake and had to call in to change it.***

There are 3 panel physicians that are listed in the packet and we chose Dr. Dennis. He was very professional according to my fiancee. He also accepted the DPT, MMR, and varicela vaccines she received 12 days prior to her doctor's visit in Palmira. The only vaccine she needed was the flu vaccine which costed 40.000.

This morning, she had her interview at 7:30 am and she arrived at 6:30 am. She went to line 3 and was the only person. All the line 1 visitor's visa applicants were definitely envious of her position in line. She had all of the papers organized in the order specified in the packet. Consulate was definitely pleased with her organization, which made their job easier. I think organization is key to getting a pleasant interview. She remarked that others applying for nonimmigrant visas were fidgeting for papers because they were not organized. One woman didn't even have her passport pic glued to her DS-156 form and the consulate seemed bothered that she couldn't follow simple instructions. She had her interview at 8:15 am and was out by 8:20 am!!! She called me about the great news at around 8:30 am her time and I thought, "no way that's my fiancee and if it is, that's record time".

Wow thanks so much for that! Are you saying you scheduled your interview within 3 weeks of receiving your NOA2? That would be awesome to get an interview that quick. Yes I am still waiting for my NOA2 but since the CSC is moving so fast it could be any day now--they are already approving July petitions. And a question...what is the number under passport number, if it isn't the passport number? I am sure that would have confused me too.

Other simple questions I have...you said the passport photo needs to be glued to the DS-156 form? Or could it be stapled? And another confusion I have is the number of photos required. In the packet it says 6 photos required, but 2 are needed for the DS-156 forms, and you need 2 for the medical and lab right? So that only leaves 2 photos left. Does it mean they want 6 photos IN ADDITION to the photos already glued to the DS-156 and the ones given to the doctors for the exams (meaning 10 photos)? Sorry if I am overthinking this, just want to be well prepared for the interview, in fact over prepared.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Another question I have...first of all I am planning on attending the interview with my fiancee. However I am still in classes and it may be difficult to travel the closer it gets to Thanksgiving break--exams, presentations, etc. My question is, if I can't go, then I need to send the documents to my fiancee for her interview. I have heard bad things about the mail system in Colombia and so never wanted to mail anything there, what is the best way to send important documents to my fiancee? And how long does it usually take?

Timeline

Another question I have...first of all I am planning on attending the interview with my fiancee. However I am still in classes and it may be difficult to travel the closer it gets to Thanksgiving break--exams, presentations, etc. My question is, if I can't go, then I need to send the documents to my fiancee for her interview. I have heard bad things about the mail system in Colombia and so never wanted to mail anything there, what is the best way to send important documents to my fiancee? And how long does it usually take?

I mailed using Avianca Express:

MIAMI 72 AVENUE

2511 NW 72nd Avenue,

Miami, FL 33122

Tel. 305 599 9257

I called their office and notified them I needed to send some documents to my fiancee. What you need to do is send the documents to the above address first. Then, they will send your documents via Avianca Express. It only costs $15 for the first pound and I think $3 for each additional pound. Only took 2-3 days from Miami...super fast.

K1

USCIS (CSC)

NVC

Bogota Embassy

Timeline

Wow thanks so much for that! Are you saying you scheduled your interview within 3 weeks of receiving your NOA2? That would be awesome to get an interview that quick. Yes I am still waiting for my NOA2 but since the CSC is moving so fast it could be any day now--they are already approving July petitions. And a question...what is the number under passport number, if it isn't the passport number? I am sure that would have confused me too.

Other simple questions I have...you said the passport photo needs to be glued to the DS-156 form? Or could it be stapled? And another confusion I have is the number of photos required. In the packet it says 6 photos required, but 2 are needed for the DS-156 forms, and you need 2 for the medical and lab right? So that only leaves 2 photos left. Does it mean they want 6 photos IN ADDITION to the photos already glued to the DS-156 and the ones given to the doctors for the exams (meaning 10 photos)? Sorry if I am overthinking this, just want to be well prepared for the interview, in fact over prepared.

Yea, I scheduled my interview within 2 or 3 weeks of receiving the NOA2. I think the "passport number" on the passport is the cedula. That's NOT the passport number you use to register an account.

I think glued or stapled should be ok. What my fiancee did was get 10 passport photos just in case and that was more than enough for her.

K1

USCIS (CSC)

NVC

Bogota Embassy

Timeline

Wow! What did you say on your email to the embassy? Just asking because I got my BGT number over a week ago and was told by the NVC that they sent the petition to the Embassy on 9/13 (I even received a letter in the mail today from NVC confirming that) and when I sent an email to ivbogota@state.gov this morning they came back with - "There is no record of the Immigrant Visa Unit having received a petition on behalf of your fiancée. As soon as we receive the approved Form I-129F, we will send you the packet of instructions"

Congratulation on your approval! That's great news!!!

Timeline

Wow! What did you say on your email to the embassy? Just asking because I got my BGT number over a week ago and was told by the NVC that they sent the petition to the Embassy on 9/13 (I even received a letter in the mail today from NVC confirming that) and when I sent an email to ivbogota@state.gov this morning they came back with - "There is no record of the Immigrant Visa Unit having received a petition on behalf of your fiancée. As soon as we receive the approved Form I-129F, we will send you the packet of instructions"

Congratulation on your approval! That's great news!!!

Thanks!

I just told them my BGT case number, my name and birthdate, and my fiancees name and birthdate. They attached the K packet instructions in both English and Spanish, and replied with a copy of this letter:

This office is pleased to inform you that it can begin to process your fiancé(e)visa case. Please read and follow all of the enclosed instructions very carefully.

To speed up the appointment scheduling process, we no longer mail paper copies of these instructions to the visa applicant. Please forward this document and the attachments to your fiancé(e).

When communicating with this office either by telephone or letter, please provide your fiancé(e)’s name and case number exactly as shown in this letter.

K1

USCIS (CSC)

NVC

Bogota Embassy

Timeline

I have a question about the Port of Entry lines. What line does she need to go through when entering, the visitor or citizens? I have read both things doing a search. It seems I read somebody recommending Fort Lauderdale over Miami airport. Any opinions?

Congrats Ucaggie

Edited by justwaiting4her

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

I have a question about the Port of Entry lines. What line does she need to go through when entering, the visitor or citizens? I have read both things doing a search. It seems I read somebody recommending Fort Lauderdale over Miami airport. Any opinions?

Congrats Ucaggie

We both came in through the visitors line (FLL) They sent us over to the Citizens/LPR line only because the current people for visitors were all helping someone and none of the LPR/Citizens has snaked through to the front of the line yet... So you go to the visitors line (no prob if you are with them and go through that line as well).

I don't believe it.. Prove it to me and I still won't believe it. -Ford Prefect

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.