janulka27

Adjustment of status and military orders

9 posts in this topic

We applied for fiancee visa and I successfully received them and I'm going the U.S. to marry my fiancee soon. My soon-to-be-husband is in the military and he got orders for Europe (after the visa has been approved) and will be leaving approx. 3 months after our marriage. I'm from Europe and I'll go with him, of course. But we don't know how to handle the situation with AOS after getting married. Should I apply for AOS - can we make it within 3 months? I don't want to stay in the U.S. without him but I also don't want to stop the whole process after getting married, I'll need the green card in the future and don't want to go through similar process again (applying for spouse visa) when we already invested time/money into fiancee visa. Is there any sensible solution? Thank you for your help.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

We applied for fiancee visa and I successfully received them and I'm going the U.S. to marry my fiancee soon. My soon-to-be-husband is in the military and he got orders for Europe (after the visa has been approved) and will be leaving approx. 3 months after our marriage. I'm from Europe and I'll go with him, of course. But we don't know how to handle the situation with AOS after getting married. Should I apply for AOS - can we make it within 3 months? I don't want to stay in the U.S. without him but I also don't want to stop the whole process after getting married, I'll need the green card in the future and don't want to go through similar process again (applying for spouse visa) when we already invested time/money into fiancee visa. Is there any sensible solution? Thank you for your help.

Call this number: 1-877-CIS-4MIL it was set up to help military families. Also speak with a JAG lawyer about your situation. They will be able to give you advice based on military orders.

AOS (from K1 Visa)

December 06, 2011 – Married

December 23, 2011 - Sent packet (I-485, I-765, I-131 & G-1145) to Chicago Lockbox

December 27, 2011 - USCIS - Received packet

January 06, 2012 - Received receipt notice NOA

January 14, 2012 - Received Biometrics appt letter

January 27, 2012 - Biometric appointment in Phoenix @ 9 am for I-485 & I-765

February 24, 2012 - Email received from USCIS they mailed RFE for I-485

February 29, 2012 - Received RFE for I-485 in the mail.

March 26, 2012 - Sent requested evidence (transcript 2010)

April 02, 2012 - Email notification that NBC received documents

April 10, 2012 - Received email that Travel Document was approved

April 10, 2012 - Received email that EAD was in production

April 13, 2012 - Received 2nd email that EAD was in production

April 16, 2012 - Received email that EAD was mailed

April 17, 2012 - Received email that NBC interview scheduled for May 18, 2012

April 18, 2012 - Received EAD/Travel Card in the mail

May 18, 2012 - Interview at Phoenix USCIS office

August 07, 2012 - I-485 approved

August 07 & 09 - Received email/texts from USCIS

August 15, 2012 - Received Green Cards in the mail

an1cJZC0g410810MTAwNjA3c3w1OTgwMzk3c2F8RGF5cyBNYXJyaWVk.gif

Call this number: 1-877-CIS-4MIL it was set up to help military families. Also speak with a JAG lawyer about your situation. They will be able to give you advice based on military orders.

Thanks for your advice. But we already contacted this help line - 3 times actually, but they're not of a big help. They gave us a name & email address of a guy who could expedite the process but he never replied back. To me it really seems ironic that they don't know how to help us...

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
1329242572[/url]' post='5157651']

Thanks for your advice. But we already contacted this help line - 3 times actually, but they're not of a big help. They gave us a name & email address of a guy who could expedite the process but he never replied back. To me it really seems ironic that they don't know how to help us...

What about a JAG lawyer? They are practically on every base!

1329242572[/url]' post='5157651']

AOS (from K1 Visa)

December 06, 2011 – Married

December 23, 2011 - Sent packet (I-485, I-765, I-131 & G-1145) to Chicago Lockbox

December 27, 2011 - USCIS - Received packet

January 06, 2012 - Received receipt notice NOA

January 14, 2012 - Received Biometrics appt letter

January 27, 2012 - Biometric appointment in Phoenix @ 9 am for I-485 & I-765

February 24, 2012 - Email received from USCIS they mailed RFE for I-485

February 29, 2012 - Received RFE for I-485 in the mail.

March 26, 2012 - Sent requested evidence (transcript 2010)

April 02, 2012 - Email notification that NBC received documents

April 10, 2012 - Received email that Travel Document was approved

April 10, 2012 - Received email that EAD was in production

April 13, 2012 - Received 2nd email that EAD was in production

April 16, 2012 - Received email that EAD was mailed

April 17, 2012 - Received email that NBC interview scheduled for May 18, 2012

April 18, 2012 - Received EAD/Travel Card in the mail

May 18, 2012 - Interview at Phoenix USCIS office

August 07, 2012 - I-485 approved

August 07 & 09 - Received email/texts from USCIS

August 15, 2012 - Received Green Cards in the mail

an1cJZC0g410810MTAwNjA3c3w1OTgwMzk3c2F8RGF5cyBNYXJyaWVk.gif

• 2 weeks later...

My husband pcsd a month after we got married. We filed for aos last 01 dec and got approved last week. If your husband is going to put you on his orders as cmd sponsored, he can request to have your case expedited. Just attach his orders on the packet and write on your cover letter that he is going to pcs. Then once you rcvd the noa1, call the military hotline and follow up on your case. I still think my case was processed faster because i included his orders on the packet. Goodluck.

sweet_cat_and_chicken.gif

Filed: Other Timeline

My husband pcsd a month after we got married. We filed for aos last 01 dec and got approved last week. If your husband is going to put you on his orders as cmd sponsored, he can request to have your case expedited. Just attach his orders on the packet and write on your cover letter that he is going to pcs. Then once you rcvd the noa1, call the military hotline and follow up on your case. I still think my case was processed faster because i included his orders on the packet. Goodluck.

we were approved faster too. only took me 2 months and 10 days to hold my GC in my hand and we didn't expedite the case, they did it. they also said at the interview, it was because he was military. so they do it anyways, if you are active duty.

Edited by Symply_Me

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Jag lawyers have NOTHING to do with this stuff. They will not help.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

I was also waiting for my GC when we got orders to PCS to Europe, but I had been waiting for the approval for a long time already when we got the orders. I contacted my congressman, explained the situation and had my GC approved and in hand within 4 weeks.:)

Def. add the orders to the application and explain your situation. Good luck!

Nadine & Kenneth

Our K-1 journey

02/06/2006 filed 129F

07/01/2007 received visa via "Deutsche Post"

08/27/2006 POE Dallas

->view my complete timeline

AOS, EAD and AP

12/6/2006 filed for AOS & EAD

1/05/2007 AOS transferred to California Service Center

01/16/2008 letter to Congressman

03/27/2008 GREENCARD arrived

ROC

02/02/2010 filed I-751

07/01/20010 Greencard arrived

Naturalization

12/08/2021 N-400 filed 

03/15/2022 Interview. Approved after "quality review"

05/11/2022 Oath Ceremony

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.