slim

Exporting Raymond

61 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I found it pretty funny to see an American do the same in Russia. The Russians by and large seemed to be doing their jobs, and reminding the Raymond team that they weren't in America, and things are done differently here. Sound familiar?

Yep same here. :lol: My wife actually enjoyed it all the way through...I think she understood that the producers were going to portray Russia over-the-top, just to make the contrast and humor stronger, so she didn't have a problem with the whole "things are craaaazy in Russia!" angle.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

I watched it over the weekend, but Vika tuned out after about five minutes. Her comments about the Hollywood Americans, their arrogance, ethnicity, etc. would violate TOS if I repeated them directly :lol:

My experience is "many" Russians would easily be called politically incorrect...continuing all the way to racist, anti-semitic, and homophobic. I know someone will chime in it's just the older Russians, but who teaches the young Russians? Mom and Dad who hate certain subgroups of the world. There was a reason Jews fled the USSR back during the Cold War.

So, all you politically correct American husbands...you must face a real dilemma with your inappropriate wives. For me, I don't really care. It is what it is. And I'm pretty sick of playing the PC game anyway.

Edited by visaveteran1

We watched it too. My wife saw no humor in the American version. We saw some recent Russian interpretations and she found it to be funny. It's now a hit in the FSU. Who would've thunk it?

September 7, 2009 - met Lena online
October 20, 2010 - First Meeting in Kharkov
Oct 20, 2010 - Engaged
December 3, 2010 - Filed I-129F
December 16, 2010 - NOA-1 notification
December 30, 2010 - Second Visit to Kharkov
February 8, 2011 - Touched
April 18, 2011 - NOA-2 notification
April 18, 2011 - Petition at NVC
April 25, 2011 - Medical Exam
April 26, 2011 - Received at Embassy
April 27, 28, 29, 2011 - Repeat medical (passed medical)
May 5, 2011 - Packet #4 received by mail in Ukraine
June 17, 2011 - Interview scheduled 9:00 AM
June 17, 2011 - Visa approved
June 18, 2011 - Interview Review posted
July 11, 2011 - POE - Detroit
July 17, 2011 - Applied for Marriage License
July 17, 2011 - Applied for SSN
August 17, 2011 - Married in Russian Orthodox Church - Detroit
November 11, 2011 - Submitted AOS/EAD/AP
January 3, 2012 - NOA 1
February 7, 2012 - Still no Biometrics appointment
February 10, 2012 - Service Request - no Biometrics appointment to date
February 29, 2012 - Infopass appointment Detroit (no Biometrics appointment letter - over 40 days)
March 9, 2012 - Biometrics
March 12, 2012 - EAD card production email received
March 23, 2012 - EAD received
March 24, 2012 - AOS interview appointment for April 24, 2012 (Detroit)
April 24, 2012 - AOS approved!
May 2, 2012 - 2 year provisional Green Card received
June 2, 2012 - First job - Russian Kindergarden in Oak Park, Michigan

Feb 5, 2014 - I-751 sent

Sept 19, 2014 - RFE

Nov 3, 2014 - Case moved to Detroit Field Office

Dec 29, 2014 - ROC Interview - Detroit Field Office

Feb 16, 2015 - I-751 approved after 2nd interview

Feb 18, 2015 - I 551 stamp in passport

Mar 5, 2015 - 10 year Permanent Resident Status

Timeline

I thought it was good. The guy was paranoid when he virst arrived, and I was also, but mostly from the horrendous jetlag. They weren't understanding the humor of the show, and were screwing it up during rehearsals. The fashion designer lady was trying to start her own clothing company and thought that by making a big show she could do that, so she disagreed with the way people dressed. She even made those stupid outfits for her dogs. I wouldn't say it was an american or russian thing, since people like that are everywhere. And the writers couldn't be blamed for being lazy or rewriting the shows. The 'fruit of the month club' thing just wouldn't have worked there, and they needed to rewrite it. I thought that after going there, it was an interesting show, and a lot of americans are afraid of russia, so it was good to put a human face on it for once. It was funny mainly because the guy was so paranoid and afraid of everything. It's true there are a lot of places in Moscow where the buildings are run down and old, go to any american city, you'll see clean buildings and clean streets, for the most part. In Moscow, that snow just covers everything and makes everything dirty, it can't be helped. In the summer though, that's when the city really comes alive.

I laughed at the movie. The guy didn't know anything and he made a fool of himself, and for that reason it was funny. The 'modern art' thing was just a single person's impression of art, and I wouldn't take it as gospel. However, the characters were well done, and you definitely get a feel for how different things are there, and how they are still the same.

After listening to FSU immigrants say "this is so stupid, not like back home" for years, I found it pretty funny to see an American do the same in Russia.

It's important to note... he was right. (I remind my wife of that!)

It's now a hit in the FSU. Who would've thunk it?

The reason it works there the same as it works here is like the guy said to the writers. This isn't a question of it not working in this language or this culture... it's a question of married or not married.

I thought that after going there, it was an interesting show,

I think it does a great job of illustrating the subtle differences between our cultures for folks who ask, "What's it like being married to a Russian? How do you guys make it work?"

The 'modern art' thing was just a single person's impression of art, and I wouldn't take it as gospel.

The main point of that was style over substance being a very European quality. In America, we like to present things with the content taking priority over the delivery whereas in Russia (and Europe in general) you can't be taken seriously if you don't look nice first.

However, the characters were well done, and you definitely get a feel for how different things are there, and how they are still the same.

And that's exactly it. These aren't huge, make it or break it differences, these are subtle differences that can be worked through. Albeit, at times, with some difficulty...

.... and humor!

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Tanya likes and "gets" the American version of "Raymond." (shrug). Slim, your definately right about style over substance. Gotta look good to be taken seriously. Unless maybe you are a poet. Then it might be OK to look like Trotsky. As far as political correctness (or incorrectness, as it may be) my experience follows VV's. It's kind of refreshing. It definately cuts down on the adverbs and prepositions... :)

I-129F Sent : 2010-01-16
Visa Approved!!: 2010-04-20
Visa Received: 2010-04-28
POE Chicago: 2010-05-01
Married: 2010-06-30
AOS filed: 2011-01-25
AOS Approved: 2011-03-25

ROC Approved 06-2013

Citizen 09-14

Slim, your definately right about style over substance. Gotta look good to be taken seriously. Unless maybe you are

I'm a short chubby dude with a mohawk.

She doesn't like me for my style.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Timeline

I'm a short chubby dude with a mohawk.

She doesn't like me for my style.

Tanya has gotten used to my lack of "style" and "fashion," too. No pointy shoes for me. I have some Chuck Taylors I wear from time to time. She calls them my "fashion" shoes. :lol:

ROC Approved 06-2013

Citizen 09-14

Well, I'm going to take a wild guess you don't work in a bank.

I don't even go to the bank very often.

Tanya has gotten used to my lack of "style" and "fashion," too. No pointy shoes for me. I have some Chuck Taylors I wear from time to time. She calls them my "fashion" shoes. :lol:

How about your tapochki?

Русский форум член.

Timeline

I don't even go to the bank very often.

How about your tapochki?

Wal-Mart Specials... :yes:

ROC Approved 06-2013

Citizen 09-14

Timeline

I hear a lot of folks buy at WalMarts. Anything from TVs to ammo. Well, I can count the times I've been in WM on one had and have a few fingers left to pick my nose. The main issue is location...the two WM in my general area are too far from me. Seems WM prefers being out into what I call the "Barbecue Belt." There are Costco stores near me but I never liked needing a fork lift to buy something, so I never joined Costco.

chucks are hard to get and pricy over there. kids at my then fiance's university were having him bring back 'fashionable' shoes such as those when he went to Warsaw for the interview. your converse might just be what won your lady over ;)

chucks are hard to get and pricy over there. kids at my then fiance's university were having him bring back 'fashionable' shoes such as those when he went to Warsaw for the interview. your converse might just be what won your lady over ;)

Vika told me once that women in Ukraine do sometimes look at the shoes a guy is wearing. I don't remember what the shoes indicated - maybe cheap shoes, cheap guy. I keep shoes for years, and never buy anything stylish. Seriously, Allen Edmonds wingtips with the suit. Apparently she gave me a pass on the footwear :lol:

3dflags_ukr0001-0001a.gif3dflags_usa0001-0001a.gif

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.