padoo289

I-864 Questions

13 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Japan
Timeline

I just started to fill out form I-864. I recently graduated from college and am studying for graduate school right now. I've never been employed so I've never filed tax return either. With this situation we're sending in two I-864 forms (1 from me & 1 from my father) and a I-864A form. There are something I'm confused about on the form I-864.

6. Principal immigrant's A-number.

my wife has had 3 F-1 visa numbers. Should I list all of them with an attachment paper?

21. Household size.

I don't really know what my household number is. Me and my wife and that's 2, but since I have no income I need to include my parents, grandmother(parents are supporting her financially), and sister (over 21, full time student with a part time job) as well? That would be 6. If so, both my father and I put '6' on item 21 of our I-864?

22. I'm currently unemployed since...

It's like since I was born, but should I put my 15th birthday?

Sorry for listing so many questions. Hope someone help me out with these. Thanks!

I just started to fill out form I-864. I recently graduated from college and am studying for graduate school right now. I've never been employed so I've never filed tax return either. With this situation we're sending in two I-864 forms (1 from me & 1 from my father) and a I-864A form. There are something I'm confused about on the form I-864.

my wife has had 3 F-1 visa numbers. Should I list all of them with an attachment paper?

21. Household size.

I don't really know what my household number is. Me and my wife and that's 2, but since I have no income I need to include my parents, grandmother(parents are supporting her financially), and sister (over 21, full time student with a part time job) as well? That would be 6. If so, both my father and I put '6' on item 21 of our I-864?

Sorry for listing so many questions. Hope someone help me out with these. Thanks!

If she has a current a-number list it, if none write in "none". It would be listed on the most recent letter from USCIS if she has one yet. They go by how many dependants your dad claims on his 1040 tax return. If your living with him but he isn't claiming you then you still need to include yourself. So sounds like 6 is the magic number. For yourself just write unemployed. Add a letter if you want explaining what you said here and this is the reason your using your dad as a co-sponsor.

11/23/2011 - Married

12/08/2011 - Sent I-130

12/12/2011 - NOA1

xx/xx/20xx -

xx/xx/20xx -

xx/xx/20xx -

xx/xx/20xx -

xx/xx/20xx -

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

21. Household size.

She either has an A number or she doesn't and you either know it or it is "Unknown".

Since your father is head of his household, you need to file two I-864 forms. It's the only way your father's household size can be accurately disclosed. I-864a is used when combining income to qualify. You have no income so are not combining.

If you've never been employed then you've been unemployed since your date of birth. No need to complicate things. In the employed as section I would enter Unemployed Student, just to make things more clear.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline

Ok wait, so I'm confused now. My dad only need to fill out I-864A?? No I-864 for him?

Exactly the opposite. Nobody files an I-864a, in your case. You and your father each file your own I-864. Read carefully and interpret literally.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline

I was under the assumption that both my father and I file I-864, however after reading the I-864A instruction I got confused because I thought it applies to my situation perfectly. I was reading other threads similar to this and found some people saying that if we're living in the same house we can complete the application with me filing I-864 and my father doing I-864A. This is what my wife thought after reading the official instruction as well. Can someone clarify this?

I was under the assumption that both my father and I file I-864, however after reading the I-864A instruction I got confused because I thought it applies to my situation perfectly. I was reading other threads similar to this and found some people saying that if we're living in the same house we can complete the application with me filing I-864 and my father doing I-864A. This is what my wife thought after reading the official instruction as well. Can someone clarify this?

I just read all the instructions, cover all your bases and file all 3 forms. You said you live with your dad right? He is the co-sponsor right? The I-864A gets attached to your I-864.Every sponsor has to file a I864 no matter where they live. You and any co-sponsors must file an I864. I864 A is an additional form you file if the co-sponsor and you are related and live in the same house or if he claims you on his taxes as an dependent .

Edited by ThrilaInManila

11/23/2011 - Married

12/08/2011 - Sent I-130

12/12/2011 - NOA1

xx/xx/20xx -

xx/xx/20xx -

xx/xx/20xx -

xx/xx/20xx -

xx/xx/20xx -

I just read all the instructions, cover all your bases and file all 3 forms. You said you live with your dad right? He is the co-sponsor right? The I-864A gets attached to your I-864.Every sponsor has to file a I864 no matter where they live. You and any co-sponsors must file an I864. I864 A is an additional form you file if the co-sponsor and you are related and live in the same house or if he claims you on his taxes as an dependent .

Also, it does say I-864A is optional in your case. If it was me I would just file the I-864A even if its not required just to play it safe. Cant hurt right?

11/23/2011 - Married

12/08/2011 - Sent I-130

12/12/2011 - NOA1

xx/xx/20xx -

xx/xx/20xx -

xx/xx/20xx -

xx/xx/20xx -

xx/xx/20xx -

Timeline

What isn't clear? You are NOT combining income with your father. You have no income. The only way your father can properly disclose his household size is on his own I-864. Your "assumption" was simply incorrect. You can do as I suggest NOW or wait until NVC tells you to do it after a delay. Forget what you think you "can" do and do what you MUST do. Ain't my first rodeo here and you are not the first to have this same conclusion corrected here. Heck, you aren't one of the first 100 either.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Timeline

What isn't clear? You are NOT combining income with your father. You have no income. The only way your father can properly disclose his household size is on his own I-864. Your "assumption" was simply incorrect. You can do as I suggest NOW or wait until NVC tells you to do it after a delay. Forget what you think you "can" do and do what you MUST do. Ain't my first rodeo here and you are not the first to have this same conclusion corrected here. Heck, you aren't one of the first 100 either.

It's great there has been no further argument on this matter. Use this portion of the I-864a instructions to confirm what I've told you.

Form I-864A may only be used when a sponsor's income and

assets do not meet the income requirements of Form I-864 and

the qualifying household member chooses to combine his or

her resources with the income and/or assets of a sponsor to

meet the requirements.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Timeline

It's great there has been no further argument on this matter. Use this portion of the I-864a instructions to confirm what I've told you.

Form I-864A may only be used when a sponsor's income and

assets do not meet the income requirements of Form I-864 and

the qualifying household member chooses to combine his or

her resources with the income and/or assets of a sponsor to

meet the requirements.

OK. Thanks for your reply. I understand that we both need to fill out I-864 and no need for I-864A. In that case I would put '2' for my household size and 0.00 for my household income(24c)right? Otherwise item 24d doesn't make too much sense? Then my father says '6' for the household size.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

so since my father will be my co sponsor i would have to fill out

form I-864 and my father I-864A? did i get this right?

also he has 3 dependents and with my spouse it will be a total of 4

did i understand correctly?

Timeline

so since my father will be my co sponsor i would have to fill out

form I-864 and my father I-864A? did i get this right?

also he has 3 dependents and with my spouse it will be a total of 4

did i understand correctly?

No. Please read again carefully.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.