Nich-Nick

London 2012- K1s from NOA2 to interview thread

2,468 posts in this topic

Just want to double check what financial info we're going to need as we're going to try to gather it at the end of May. Our situation is this -

My fiance is unemployed and has lived with his parents all his life. His dad was the main breadwinner but he sadly passed away in January of last year. Since then, his mum gets a pension from him and social security. She earns around $25,000 plus has $60,000 roughly in savings. My fiance hasn't worked on 5+ years and he will have around $4,000 savings by my interview.

What info will we need? His mum is our co-sponsor. Their tax returns for previous years (pre-2012) will be different to what it will be when I'm there as his dad was in a $60k a year job. Do we still need 3 years tax return? My fiance doesn't have any as he hasn't had any income.

Could someone please advise?

Thanks

Edited by QueenOfBlades

AOS posted - 02/18/2014

NOA1 - 03/04/2014
Biometrics - 03/28/2014
EAD in post - 5/5/2014

EAD in hand - 5/10/2014
Interview waiver letter received - 6/9/2014

Card production notice - 1/10/2015

ROC mailed - 10/11/2016

ROC received at CSC - 10/18/2016

Interview Notice Received - 3/30/2017

Just want to double check what financial info we're going to need as we're going to try to gather it at the end of May. Our situation is this -

My fiance is unemployed and has lived with his parents all his life. His dad was the main breadwinner but he sadly passed away in January of last year. Since then, his mum gets a pension from him and social security. She earns around $25,000 plus has $60,000 roughly in savings. My fiance hasn't worked on 5+ years and he will have around $4,000 savings by my interview.

What info will we need? His mum is our co-sponsor. Their tax returns for previous years (pre-2012) will be different to what it will be when I'm there as his dad was in a $60k a year job. Do we still need 3 years tax return? My fiance doesn't have any as he hasn't had any income.

Could someone please advise?

Thanks

I would take

• Mum's 2012 tax return (which will still be joint with Dad if he died in 2012 and will say deceased-final return written at the top.)
  • Letter or statement from Social Security and the pension provider saying what she gets from them. (photocopies)
  • Bank statement(s) showing her savings.

My thinking for the savings is because income is borderline for 3 people ($24,412). While an adult son is not defined as her dependent on an I-864 where household size has a specific count, the I-134 is a little different. It says something like "the following persons are dependent on me". He is dependent on her financially it sounds like. I think showing enough for a household of three would be an extra measure to take on the side of caution.

Three years of tax returns has not been an I-864 requirement since around 2006. The i-134 actually has no tax return requirement written in to it, but that's a handy way to prove income. London would approve an I-134 without any tax return if sufficient money was shown another way. I only mentioned her tax return should still be joint for 2012 so you don't freak when you see it and wonder if that is okay. Yes. The year in which my husband died, I could still file a joint return and the instructions say to hand write that final return bit at the top. It's normal and okay for your I-134.

Edited by Nich-Nick

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

I would take

• Mum's 2012 tax return (which will still be joint with Dad if he died in 2012 and will say deceased-final return written at the top.)
  • Letter or statement from Social Security and the pension provider saying what she gets from them. (photocopies)
  • Bank statement(s) showing her savings.

My thinking for the savings is because income is borderline for 3 people ($24,412). While an adult son is not defined as her dependent on an I-864 where household size has a specific count, the I-134 is a little different. It says something like "the following persons are dependent on me". He is dependent on her financially it sounds like. I think showing enough for a household of three would be an extra measure to take on the side of caution.

Three years of tax returns has not been an I-864 requirement since around 2006. The i-134 actually has no tax return requirement written in to it, but that's a handy way to prove income. London would approve an I-134 without any tax return if sufficient money was shown another way. I only mentioned her tax return should still be joint for 2012 so you don't freak when you see it and wonder if that is okay. Yes. The year in which my husband died, I could still file a joint return and the instructions say to hand write that final return bit at the top. It's normal and okay for your I-134.

Thanks :) I was hoping you'd reply, you always know and I trust your advice. I don't know what I'd have done in this process without you! Probably be a nervous wreck with questions and get things wrong XD. Really appreciate you always taking the time to answer. My man said all that stuff required isn't a problem. :)

With the I-864, I was a little curious about that with regard to the household size. I assumed that because I'd be living in the house, it would be a household size of 3, not the current household size. What do you mean when you say about not defined as her dependent and specific household size? Is 3 the right one?

We'd pretty much thought we are borderline with the minimum, but her savings should be more than enough because it massively outweighs the 3x difference that would be required even if she was slightly below.

AOS posted - 02/18/2014

NOA1 - 03/04/2014
Biometrics - 03/28/2014
EAD in post - 5/5/2014

EAD in hand - 5/10/2014
Interview waiver letter received - 6/9/2014

Card production notice - 1/10/2015

ROC mailed - 10/11/2016

ROC received at CSC - 10/18/2016

Interview Notice Received - 3/30/2017

Thanks :) I was hoping you'd reply, you always know and I trust your advice. I don't know what I'd have done in this process without you! Probably be a nervous wreck with questions and get things wrong XD. Really appreciate you always taking the time to answer. My man said all that stuff required isn't a problem. :)

With the I-864, I was a little curious about that with regard to the household size. I assumed that because I'd be living in the house, it would be a household size of 3, not the current household size. What do you mean when you say about not defined as her dependent and specific household size? Is 3 the right one?

We'd pretty much thought we are borderline with the minimum, but her savings should be more than enough because it massively outweighs the 3x difference that would be required even if she was slightly below.

I-864 is totally different. She doesn't count him unless he is listed as a dependent on her tax return. He probably isn't because he's not a child, a full-time college student, permanently disabled...things like that. He is an adult and would be filing his own tax return if he had an income. The count is more by IRS specific definitions. It's not about who is living under her roof. If she took in a neighbor, or got a boyfriend, she couldnt count them on her tax return either. Down load a form and look at how the household size thing is lined out. It will be Mum + Immigrant unless she marries by then or has a child.

Your husband will fill out an I-864. That is required. His will be Him + Immigrant. She will do an I-864 as a joint sponsor. Not going into detail now because that's later and you'll ask again anyway because it's confusing. Get your visa, come to the US, get married, then PM me if you like my answers (L)

England.gifENGLAND ---

10-05-08 Married

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

No RFEs

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there,

Couple of questions from the UK beneficiary, Really appreciate having this thread but can I just clarify a couple of things with regards to the immunisations:

1. MMR - why do I need a 2nd shot 4 weeks later?

2. Varicella - are you saying if I have had chicken pox before I don't need this shot?

3. Influenza - Given that flu season is over and I am likely to have my medical & interview in July (I hope!)

Thanks very much,

Stuart

11/01/12 - I-129F sent
11/14/12 - NOA1 (email/text)
11/19/12 - NOA1 (paper)
05/17/13 - NOA2 (email/text)
05/22/13 - NOA2 (paper)
05/29/13 - Case forwarded to NVC
06/04/13 - Case forwarded to US Embassy, London
06/06/13 - Medical
06/12/13 - Packet 3 received
06/13/13 - Packet 3 sent
06/25/13 - Packet 4 received
07/19/13 - Interview
07/26/13 - Visa received
08/09/13 - POE (IAD)
08/31/13 - Wedding heart.gif
10/03/13 - I-485 & I-765 sent
10/10/13 - NOA1 (email/text)
10/15/13 - NOA1 (paper)
11/12/13 - I-485 & I-765 Biometrics

12/03/13 - EAD approval

12/10/13 - EAD received

02/22/14 - Green Card approval
03/01/14 - Green Card received

Hi there,

Couple of questions from the UK beneficiary, Really appreciate having this thread but can I just clarify a couple of things with regards to the immunisations:

1. MMR - why do I need a 2nd shot 4 weeks later?

2. Varicella - are you saying if I have had chicken pox before I don't need this shot?

3. Influenza - Given that flu season is over and I am likely to have my medical & interview in July (I hope!)

Thanks very much,

Stuart

1. US requires 2. Maybe you've already two and have evidence to take.

Say you had no childhood record so you got dose 1. There is a 4 week waiting period before dose 2 can be given. Say your medical exam was the day after Dose 1. You are given a waiver for dose 2 for "insufficient time interval". If you get all the shots for AOS marked (or waived) on the day of your medical, you never have to get dose 2.

But say you got on this really early and had dose 1 in Jan. Medical in March. Since 4 weeks had passed, the insufficient time interval waiver won't fly because it is medically appropriate in March to have another round.

2. Correct. A waiver. And they take your word for it.

3. Another waiver marked "not flu season".

I will add more info if you like and how this ties in to AOS, but we have concert ticket tonight and it would be tomorrow before I have time.

Edited by Nich-Nick

England.gifENGLAND ---

10-05-08 Married

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

No RFEs

1. US requires 2. Maybe you've already two and have evidence to take.

Say you had no childhood record so you got dose 1. There is a 4 week waiting period before dose 2 can be given. Say your medical exam was the day after Dose 1. You are given a waiver for dose 2 for "insufficient time interval". If you get all the shots for AOS marked (or waived) on the day of your medical, you never have to get dose 2.

But say you got on this really early and had dose 1 in Jan. Medical in March. Since 4 weeks had passed, the insufficient time interval waiver won't fly because it is medically appropriate in March to have another round.

2. Correct. A waiver. And they take your word for it.

3. Another waiver marked "not flu season".

I will add more info if you like and how this ties in to AOS, but we have concert ticket tonight and it would be tomorrow before I have time.

Hi apologies for the delay, thanks very much for your reply. Please bear with me if I'm not grasping what you're saying.

I'll check with my doc about the MMR, so you're saying if i get the MMR jab within 4 weeks of the medical I won't need a 2nd shot right?

And I don't actually need Varicella shot if I can provide proof that I've had chicken pox to the doctor performing the medical?

Any further info you could provide would also be very much appreciated, thanks

11/01/12 - I-129F sent
11/14/12 - NOA1 (email/text)
11/19/12 - NOA1 (paper)
05/17/13 - NOA2 (email/text)
05/22/13 - NOA2 (paper)
05/29/13 - Case forwarded to NVC
06/04/13 - Case forwarded to US Embassy, London
06/06/13 - Medical
06/12/13 - Packet 3 received
06/13/13 - Packet 3 sent
06/25/13 - Packet 4 received
07/19/13 - Interview
07/26/13 - Visa received
08/09/13 - POE (IAD)
08/31/13 - Wedding heart.gif
10/03/13 - I-485 & I-765 sent
10/10/13 - NOA1 (email/text)
10/15/13 - NOA1 (paper)
11/12/13 - I-485 & I-765 Biometrics

12/03/13 - EAD approval

12/10/13 - EAD received

02/22/14 - Green Card approval
03/01/14 - Green Card received

Hi apologies for the delay, thanks very much for your reply. Please bear with me if I'm not grasping what you're saying.

I'll check with my doc about the MMR, so you're saying if i get the MMR jab within 4 weeks of the medical I won't need a 2nd shot right?

Any further info you could provide would also be very much appreciated, thanks

Check with your doctor (or maybe Mum has a school immunization booklet). If there are 2 MMR shots, take that proof. You have met the requirement.

If you only have record of one MMR, then get another. Two shots meets the requirement..the old one and the new shot.

If you have no proof of ever having a MMR jab, get one. After four weeks have passed it's medically safe to get jab two. BUT if you attend your medical before four weeks has passed, they can't give you the second dose. They will mark your sheet "Insufficient time interval". It is one of the excuses for getting a waiver. The nurse at Knightsbridge will tell you you have to go to your GP for another shot when the four weeks have passed and send his note with your AOS. That is just plain incorrect. USCIS won't accept a note from your GP. You would have to go to a civil surgeon (USCIS approved doctor) before you file AOS and pay him to fill out a new sheet to include your latest shot plus the ones from your Knightsbridge form. Many over charge, say you need a TB test, or an entire new medical. There are more horror stories than ones that say they got it done cheaply for $50 or so. You can skip that civil surgeon by getting complete at Knightsbridge. If you have one MMR and it is marked "insufficient time interval" for dose two, you get a waiver. USCIS will accept it. Don't go get another at your GP, unless you want to. USCIS accepts that it was not medically appropriate to have another dose on the day of the medical and allows the waiver for dose two. They go by the date that form is signed by Knightsbridge. It wasn't ok for a second dose on that day, so the form is accepted, even if your AOS is months down the road. Same for flu shot. If you had a waiver marked "not flu season" you were correct and complete the date the form was signed. Even if flu season starts again before your AOS is approved, they go by the date of the medical, and you don't have to get a flu shot.

Some reasons waivers are given:

Shot not age appropriate

Pregnant (for MMR)

Previous severe allergic reactions to certain shots (documented by a doctor)

Not flu season

Insufficient time Interval

And I don't actually need Varicella shot if I can provide proof that I've had chicken pox to the doctor performing the medical?

You don't even need proof. You say "my mum said I had chickenpox whenI was 5 years old.". Done. Or when going over your shots at the medical, they say, "Have you had chickenpox?" You say, "yes." No varicella shot.

Keep in mind, a DS-3025 immunization form is only accepted for AOS If it has all your shot marked or given a waiver. For example, the MMR shot. ..If you only had one dose and it was last year, then enough time has passed where there is no medical reason not to get dose two. If you choose not to get dose two, Knightsbridge won't mark your sheet with the time interval waiver. Your shots are incomplete and it will not be accepted for AOS because there is no shot and no reason for waiver marked, thus not complete.

Edited by Nich-Nick

England.gifENGLAND ---

10-05-08 Married

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

No RFEs

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I am just putting my forms into an envelope to send to the London embassy (DS-230 etc) so that all I have to do when the time comes is post them. However - on the notes I made about 6 months ago I made a note to send them to:

Immigrant Visa Unit

5 upper Grosvenor Street

London W1A 2JB

...and now I have no idea where I got that address from. On the webpage where you download all the forms and get instructions, it says "see 'contact and mailing address' on the right-hand side of the page", which is:

Immigrant Visa Unit

US Embassy

24 Grosvenor Square

London W1K 6AH

this is the webpage: http://london.usembassy.gov/iv_15.html

can someone show me where I found the first address? I'm now thinking I should go with the one on the website, and that is where it is TELLING me to send my K1 forms....

Edited by cornwallloz

I am just putting my forms into an envelope to send to the London embassy (DS-230 etc) so that all I have to do when the time comes is post them. However - on the notes I made about 6 months ago I made a note to send them to:

Immigrant Visa Unit

5 upper Grosvenor Street

London W1A 2JB

...and now I have no idea where I got that address from. On the webpage where you download all the forms and get instructions, it says "see 'contact and mailing address' on the right-hand side of the page", which is:

Immigrant Visa Unit

US Embassy

24 Grosvenor Square

London W1K 6AH

this is the webpage: http://london.usembassy.gov/iv_15.html

can someone show me where I found the first address? I'm now thinking I should go with the one on the website, and that is where it is TELLING me to send my K1 forms....

I reckon you got the adress from London info page that seems to be slightly obsolete, http://www.visajourney.com/consulates/index.php?ctry=United%20Kingdom&cty=London

You need to send your firms to W1K 6AH as per website.

It is not where I breathe but where I love that I live.

Timeline

yeah press continue, let it do its thing... it can take a while sometimes, then once it has stuck a barcode on the form you can print it out. like has been mentioned by Nich-Nick... it is probably wise to print off an extra copy of all the forms and take them to the interview just in case the embassy misplace one :)

:thumbs:

Timeline

Hi there all. I'm 57 and from UK. My fiance is 61 and from New Orleans. Finally got my interview date today (29th April), for 14th May. Can't help but be concerned, no reason to as I'm squeaky clean, and its a genuine relationship. I heard the refusal percentage is really low, which makes me a bit calmer. Can anyone put my mind at rest????? Wish I'd seen this site before. Got a lot of info from here.

Hi there all. I'm 57 and from UK. My fiance is 61 and from New Orleans. Finally got my interview date today (29th April), for 14th May. Can't help but be concerned, no reason to as I'm squeaky clean, and its a genuine relationship. I heard the refusal percentage is really low, which makes me a bit calmer. Can anyone put my mind at rest????? Wish I'd seen this site before. Got a lot of info from here.

Take some time to ensure you have all the information needed for the interview and also read through the embassy reviews for London to get a sense of what will occur. Good luck!

Part One: The K-1 Visa Journey:

USCIS Receipt of I-129F: January 24, 2012 | Petition Approval: June 15, 2012 (No RFEs)
Interview: October 24, 2012 - Review | Visa Delivered: October 31, 2012

Part Two: Entry and Adjusting Status:

POE: November 18, 2012 (at SFO) - Review
Wedding: December 1, 2012 | Social Security: New cards received on December 7, 2012.
AOS Package (I-485/I-765/I-131) NOA1: February 19, 2013 | Biometrics Appt.: March 18, 2013
AP/EAD Approved: April 29, 2013 | Card Received: May 6, 2013 | AOS Interview Appt.: May 16, 2013 - Approved Review Card Received: May 24, 2013

Part Three: Removal of Conditions:

Coming Soon...

"When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America, you get a front row seat." – George Carlin

Timeline

Many thanks. If I've gone through my documents once, I've done it a dozen times. I'm only a little nervous, but its such a life-changing thing, that I'm almost afraid to assume I'll be approved. However, I can say so far I've been really impressed with the USA immigration process. Its taken since August 14th 2012 to get here, but it will be worth it. Waited 55 years for this man, can wait another couple of weeks. Thanks again.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.