Nich-Nick

London 2012- K1s from NOA2 to interview thread

2,468 posts in this topic

If you have a tax return transcript, that should do it. (Not a tax account transcript). You only need w2s if you are using a photocopy of the tax return. A transcript from IRS is stand alone and is instead of tax return/W2s. Pay slips are good. You don't have to have an employer letter. Just prove the income in the easiest way.

Thanks, as always, Nich-Nick. Just checked the documents that the IRS sent and they are indeed 'tax return transcripts'.

Do you think it is best not to have the employer letter as it's a bit confusing in our situation? The USCIS website suggests that it is required - http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-134instr.pdf Or is it London that are not concerned about that?

Thanks, as always, Nich-Nick. Just checked the documents that the IRS sent and they are indeed 'tax return transcripts'.

Do you think it is best not to have the employer letter as it's a bit confusing in our situation? The USCIS website suggests that it is required - http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-134instr.pdf Or is it London that are not concerned about that?

London from my 5 yrs experience has not demanded one type of proof over another with the I-134. It's not outlined in law other than saying the officer must be convinced you will not become a public charge. It's a subjective decision and London is not that particular how you prove the income. If the income is nicely over the poverty level, they probably won't even discuss it with you.

Think about it. The employer letter is third party and makes it have some legitimacy. What good is "I pay myself $50,000/yr". The tax return or transcript is your best proof.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Just trying to get all my ducks in a row and make sure I fully understand what forms I am sending and when as there seems to be some conflicting information. The US Consulate Website says send all the following forms together and then the readiness form and covering letter when we've gathered all the relevant forms (which we have anyway). However on the Readiness form it says send the readiness form with DS230 ... getting in a muddle :wacko: I know I've seen it in the forums but dammed if I can find it now!!!

Packet 3 - should I send all of the following?

DS230 Part one and two (for both myself and daughter)

DS156 (in duplicate for both myself and daughter)

DS157 (in duplicate for both myself and daughter)

DS156K (I'm the principle applicant and although by the time of the interview my daughter will be 18 I am assuming one

of these is still not needed for her)

Our Medical is scheduled for Friday 15th March so I though I would send off the readiness form and covering letter Mon/Tues of the following week the consulate should have received the Medical results by the time by readiness form get there.

If someone could clarify this for me I would be grateful

TY

Edited by KLB

Just trying to get all my ducks in a row and make sure I fully understand what forms I am sending and when as there seems to be some conflicting information. The US Consulate Website says send all the following forms together and then the readiness form and covering letter when we've gathered all the relevant forms (which we have anyway). However on the Readiness form it says send the readiness form with DS230 ... getting in a muddle :wacko: I know I've seen it in the forums but dammed if I can find it now!!!

Packet 3 - should I send all of the following?

DS230 Part one and two (for both myself and daughter)

DS156 (in duplicate for both myself and daughter)

DS157 (in duplicate for both myself and daughter)

DS156K (I'm the principle applicant and although by the time of the interview my daughter will be 18 I am assuming one

of these is still not needed for her)

Our Medical is scheduled for Friday 15th March so I though I would send off the readiness form and covering letter Mon/Tues of the following week the consulate should have received the Medical results by the time by readiness form get there.

If someone could clarify this for me I would be grateful

TY

My best detailed answer/opinion for your question, or help for where you are now, is in this thread same thread---post 123. http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/350185-london-2012-k1s-from-noa2-to-interview-thread/page__st__120__p__5312728#entry5312728

England.gifENGLAND ---

10-05-08 Married

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

No RFEs

Timeline

My best detailed answer/opinion for your question, or help for where you are now, is in this thread same thread---post 123. http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/350185-london-2012-k1s-from-noa2-to-interview-thread/page__st__120__p__5312728#entry5312728

Thank you Nich-Nick :D

Still trying to compile paperwork (still no NOA2).

One thing I noticed was that we both have the provide marriage certificates for dissolved marriages - you would have thought proof that the marriages were dissolved would be sufficient - you can't dissolve a marriage without first having one! And I'm kicking myself for not noticing this before - the item on the US Embassy website starts 'Married applicants must obtain an original marriage certificate' and I thought 'We're not married', so I read no further.

I know that I don't have my marriage certificate - it's fairly easy to request one. I don't know if my fiancé will have his two marriage certificates - I can ask him when we Skype tomorrow. But I just need to be certain - we absolutely need the marriage certificates for London?

Still trying to compile paperwork (still no NOA2).

One thing I noticed was that we both have the provide marriage certificates for dissolved marriages - you would have thought proof that the marriages were dissolved would be sufficient - you can't dissolve a marriage without first having one! And I'm kicking myself for not noticing this before - the item on the US Embassy website starts 'Married applicants must obtain an original marriage certificate' and I thought 'We're not married', so I read no further.

I know that I don't have my marriage certificate - it's fairly easy to request one. I don't know if my fiancé will have his two marriage certificates - I can ask him when we Skype tomorrow. But I just need to be certain - we absolutely need the marriage certificates for London?

All I can offer is the instructions read similar when we did London, so my husband ordered one. At the interview, it was only the England divorce decree they looked at. I sent nothing in the way of documentation but the affidavit of support things (USC). I also can't remember anybody since having an issue and needing to get a previous marriage certificate. You would think it would be one of those things that would be discussed over and over if it was an issue. Going further in the immigration journey to citizenship, the proof previous marriages were dissolved recurs, but never that previous marriages occurred.

Edited by Nich-Nick

England.gifENGLAND ---

10-05-08 Married

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

No RFEs

Thanks Nich-Nick.

I ordered a copy of my marriage certificate for completeness anyway.

It wasn't as straightforward as I had hoped. And I will type it up here in case it helps anyone needing to get a copy certificate (births, deaths anbd marriages are held here) and their GRO reference is not available online. It makes a difference timewsie - GRO reference - 5 days - no GRO reference 15 days.

I was due to go into London anyway, so dropped by the British Library to find the reference on micro-fiche. First of all, you have to get a British Libary Reader Pass on the 1st floor before you can have access to the records. You need two forms of ID - something official with your address on (I had my driving licence, although it had my old address on it) and something like a bank card. You then complete the form on a PC (had I known, I could have registered online,

You then have to wait for someone to pull your details from the systme and check your ID - you are given a number. Once you have all that, you have to go back to the cloakroom on the lower ground floor and leave your coat and any large bags. Next, you go to Social Sciences on the 2nd floor and the micro fiche is right at the back. There are only two readers, so you may have a wait. The micro fiche is stored in quarters by year - I was married in July, so had to look at September's quearter as that covered July, August and September. Each sheet of micro fiche covers a group of surnames - say one sheet will hold Jarvis, Jackson and others around those.

I didn't know how long this would take but allowed an hour and it took around 50 minutes. However, 50 minutes to save 10 days processing time could be worth it for some people. The cost of requesting a copy of the certitifcate is the same either way.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

if your police certificate comes back showing "no live trace" or it is anything other than spotless then there are possibly 2 things that you need to do...

1) obtain a "subject access request". this will show what your police certificate doesnt and amongst other things, court convictions, police cautions / warnings, reprimands and Penalty Notice for Disorder. this is available through your local police force so check on their website for details on how to apply. it costs £10 and takes up to 40 days so if you need it then order it early. this can be very useful for finding out dates if they are unknown.

2) if you appeared in court then you might also need to obtain a "memorandum of conviction". this is the court report and is available from the clerk of the court you attended. im not sure of cost but i believe it can take up to 60 days to obtain, so again... if you need it then order it early.

hello how are yoing.i hope you are good.well,i just want you to inform me about the process time.i got my NOA2 letter on feb 07,2013

plz tell me how can i know that the NVC recieved my NOA2 & when are they going to send it the the US embassy.i just want to know to expect the day of my k1 interview.thanks for advance.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Scotland
Timeline

Hello all,

I know you have to list ALL your previous visits to the US when filling out the forms for the embassy.. The problem is, I went to the US when I was 18, when I was 13, and when I was... Too young to remember!

... How on earth am I supposed to find out what these exact dates were and what kind of visa/waiver I travelled on at the time?

It just seems pretty ridiculous if I have to try and remember when I made a visit as a small child. I think I'd even struggle to find the info from when I went as an 18 year old, as I wasn't organising the travel.

Any advice?

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Scotland
Timeline

Oh, and also, I'd like to clarify the exact vaccinations I'll need in order to qualify for AOS. I've just registered at a new GP and intend to get all required vaccines so I can then get a complete vaccine record and take it to medical exam with me.

Thanks in advance for answers!

Hello all,

I know you have to list ALL your previous visits to the US when filling out the forms for the embassy.. The problem is, I went to the US when I was 18, when I was 13, and when I was... Too young to remember!

... How on earth am I supposed to find out what these exact dates were and what kind of visa/waiver I travelled on at the time?

It just seems pretty ridiculous if I have to try and remember when I made a visit as a small child. I think I'd even struggle to find the info from when I went as an 18 year old, as I wasn't organising the travel.

Any advice?

Do the best job you can..." I was about 7 years old and it was summer so I will put July 19xx.". Close enough. They don't check.

Your current or old passport may have stamps for clues. Visa waiver or VWP will be acceptable for the visa type, which being from the UK, you wouldn't have had an actual visa if it wasn't a more permanent stay.

Shots are listed in post #1 of this thread.

England.gifENGLAND ---

10-05-08 Married

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

No RFEs

Timeline

Hi everyone

It's been almost 6 months since my NOA1 so I'm now waiting for NOA2, and trying to get my head around everything I need next...a few things are really confusing me.

First: it says on the embassy website that with your DS230 and other forms you have to send your birth certificate, evidence of engagement and evidence of financial support.

Do I send my real birth certificate?? That seems unlikely! And for financial evidence...is that when you send the I-864 or do I send the I-134 and take 864 to the interview? And I just thought I needed to take evidence of engagement to the interview, but that makes it sound as though I now need to put together something AGAIN to send with these forms...same sort of thing as we sent with the original petition?

Second: on all the financial support stuff, what do we put as 'salary' as David is on an hourly wage, not an annual salary? I'm guessing just put the amount he made last year?

Third: can someone confirm for me that the poverty line right now for 2 people is $18,912 - which makes 125% of the poverty line $23,640? David made more than that amount the last two years but not in the third one (2010) does this matter? I don't know how much other stuff to include in the affidavit of support as it seems he is only borderline going to make enough to qualify to support me.

Stupid questions now: on DS230 when filling out all education info, can I just write "GCSEs" or "a levels" under the 'course of study' column and then "11GCSEs" under 'degree or diploma'? And when you attach a continuation sheet can that just be a plain price of paper with answers and numbers on or is there a special 'continuation sheet' you have to use like there are in exams for example?

And finally: is there an average on how long it takes in London between noa2 and interview? I realise if you're not prepared you add time, but assuming I have everything ready to go and send straight away? Just a rough estimate would be great!

Any and all answers to these would be great, this thread has been so helpful so far, and I feel like I'm so close and would hate to screw it up by misunderstanding something stupid. This process is not for the faint hearted! I would really appreciate help.....sorry for the huge list of questions! Thanks everyone :)

First: it says on the embassy website that with your DS230 and other forms you have to send your birth certificate, evidence of engagement and evidence of financial support.

Do I send my real birth certificate?? That seems unlikely!

I've never seen that on the website. Instructions for K1 http://london.usembassy.gov/iv_15.html

Forms are mailed in. These documents are taken to the interview http://london.usembassy.gov/application_documents.html Your birth certificate is a document, so taken to interview. I-134 goes to interview. I -864 does not unless you are already married getting a CR1visa.

And I just thought I needed to take evidence of engagement to the interview, but that makes it sound as though I now need to put together something AGAIN to send with these forms...same sort of thing as we sent with the original petition?

Only mail FORMS...DS-xxxx.

Second: on all the financial support stuff, what do we put as 'salary' as David is on an hourly wage, not an annual salary? I'm guessing just put the amount he made last year?

Look at David's most recent paycheck. Then do the math to figure out a whole year's worth. That is his current yearly income. If every paycheck is different, then come up with a good average. Let's say he made $100/month last year. Last week he got a raise and more hours and gets $200/month. Use the current $200/month to figure what he will make in a year.

Third: can someone confirm for me that the poverty line right now for 2 people is $18,912 - which makes 125% of the poverty line $23,640? David made more than that amount the last two years but not in the third one (2010) does this matter? I don't know how much other stuff to include in the affidavit of support as it seems he is only borderline going to make enough to qualify to support me.

Poverty guidelines are here http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-864p.pdf

Column 1 is household size. Column 2 is poverty. Column 3 is 125%. Your numbers are wrong.

They don't care about 3 years ago. Prove his current income with a letter from employer, recent paystubs, or 2012 tax return.

And do you know that the Dept of State says 100% of poverty is generally enough for an I-134? Also, the level is due to change to 2013 guidelines, so keep checking that link to see if it goes up.

Stupid questions now: on DS230 when filling out all education info, can I just write "GCSEs" or "a levels" under the 'course of study' column and then "11GCSEs" under 'degree or diploma'? And when you attach a continuation sheet can that just be a plain price of paper with answers and numbers on or is there a special 'continuation sheet' you have to use like there are in exams for example?

That sounds fine. Plain paper.

And finally: is there an average on how long it takes in London between noa2 and interview? I realise if you're not prepared you add time, but assuming I have everything ready to go and send straight away? Just a rough estimate would be great!

I'd say 2.5 months if well prepared.

England.gifENGLAND ---

10-05-08 Married

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

No RFEs

Timeline

Half way down the form ds-157K it says:

"The following documents must be attached in order to apply for a fiancé nonimmigrant visa: -your birth certificate - marriage certificate (if any) - evidence of engagement to you fiancé - evidence of financial support - divorce decree (if any) - death certificate of spouse (if any) - birth certificates of all children listed - police certificates"

So if I wasn't on visa journey, I would read that form and it says clearly to attach all those things to it...but I'm not supposed to?

Why do they make it so convoluted!

Thankyou so so much for your answers

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.