Nich-Nick

London 2012- K1s from NOA2 to interview thread

2,468 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

You choose the delivery address when you fill out the courier form. It has nothing to do with what is on your visa forms. The embassy turns it over to the courier and the courier uses the info you give them to address it.

I recall one person who got to pick theirs up, but that was a case of an embassy error and they were trying to make it up to him/her because she had to catch a flight. I think they had made an actual error or typo on the visa and it had to be re-done at the last minute when the person noticed it.

Does anyone know if I can keep hold of my passport if i'm approved and ask to send it in in the new year? This way, I'd be able to fly on VWP, have a party with my friends and family, return to the UK in the new year and get my visa, then return on the K1 and sign the marriage paperwork etc.

I'm getting really nervous that I'll hand the passport over, not get it back in time and end up stuck in the UK while all of my friends and family are in the USA, having flown from the UK, Australia and all over the USA.

13th March 2012 - Petition Sent

15th March 2012 - NOA1 sent

20th March 2012 - NOA1 received

28th June 2012 - "Touched"

2nd October 2012 - NOA2

11th October 2012 - Received by NVC, Case # issued.

12th October 2012 - NVC sent case to London Embassy

15th October 2012 - Case received by London Embassy

7th November 2012 - Medical Exam

10th November 2012 - Packet 3 Sent

14th November 2012 - Packet 3 received by London Embassy

14th December 2012 - Interview Date Received

18th December 2012 - Interview - Approved pending updated Police Certificate

9th January 2013 - Updated Police Certificate & Passport sent to Embassy

16th January 2013 - Visa approved

21st January 2013 - Scheduled delivery of Passport & Visa

22nd January 2013 - Flying from LHR to DFW!

Does anyone know if I can keep hold of my passport if i'm approved and ask to send it in in the new year? This way, I'd be able to fly on VWP, have a party with my friends and family, return to the UK in the new year and get my visa, then return on the K1 and sign the marriage paperwork etc.

I'm getting really nervous that I'll hand the passport over, not get it back in time and end up stuck in the UK while all of my friends and family are in the USA, having flown from the UK, Australia and all over the USA.

Doubtful. You shouldn't plan on leaving the UK until you have the passport and visa back in your hand. From there, you'll be in the US until the adjustment of status paperwork is filed along with the advanced parole request.

Given the holidays, you may not have your passport back until early January unless the embassy rushes to get everything done before Xmas.

Edited by LeftCoastLady

Part One: The K-1 Visa Journey:

USCIS Receipt of I-129F: January 24, 2012 | Petition Approval: June 15, 2012 (No RFEs)
Interview: October 24, 2012 - Review | Visa Delivered: October 31, 2012

Part Two: Entry and Adjusting Status:

POE: November 18, 2012 (at SFO) - Review
Wedding: December 1, 2012 | Social Security: New cards received on December 7, 2012.
AOS Package (I-485/I-765/I-131) NOA1: February 19, 2013 | Biometrics Appt.: March 18, 2013
AP/EAD Approved: April 29, 2013 | Card Received: May 6, 2013 | AOS Interview Appt.: May 16, 2013 - Approved Review Card Received: May 24, 2013

Part Three: Removal of Conditions:

Coming Soon...

"When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America, you get a front row seat." – George Carlin

Timeline

Doubtful. You shouldn't plan on leaving the UK until you have the passport and visa back in your hand. From there, you'll be in the US until the adjustment of status paperwork is filed along with the advanced parole request.

Given the holidays, you may not have your passport back until early January unless the embassy rushes to get everything done before Xmas.

I know this, however I have a need to travel by the end of the year. If it looks as though they can't get the passport back in time, surely they must have processes for letting you send in the passport at a later date (as they do with people who get asked (at the interview) to send in correct paperwork before they can be approved)? What if, for example, someone had a need to travel (not necessarily to the USA) shortly after their interview? Is the "correct" procedure to delay the interview, rather than attend it and ask to send in the passport upon your return from travel?

2nd October 2012 - NOA2

I know this, however I have a need to travel by the end of the year. If it looks as though they can't get the passport back in time, surely they must have processes for letting you send in the passport at a later date (as they do with people who get asked (at the interview) to send in correct paperwork before they can be approved)? What if, for example, someone had a need to travel (not necessarily to the USA) shortly after their interview? Is the "correct" procedure to delay the interview, rather than attend it and ask to send in the passport upon your return from travel?

As has been noted in the other thread you started, the typical process is to turn in your passport upon approval at the interview. Given that you want to travel to the US specifically, I doubt they will return it to you. Your making seemingly concrete plans before having been approved for a visa is not the embassy's problem. Even if you were to delay the interview at this point, there is still the likelihood of not being able to enter the U.S.

USCIS Receipt of I-129F: January 24, 2012 | Petition Approval: June 15, 2012 (No RFEs)

Wedding: December 1, 2012 | Social Security: New cards received on December 7, 2012.
AOS Package (I-485/I-765/I-131) NOA1: February 19, 2013 | Biometrics Appt.: March 18, 2013
AP/EAD Approved: April 29, 2013 | Card Received: May 6, 2013 | AOS Interview Appt.: May 16, 2013 - Approved Review Card Received: May 24, 2013

Coming Soon...

"When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America, you get a front row seat." – George Carlin

Timeline

As has been noted in the other thread you started, the typical process is to turn in your passport upon approval at the interview. Given that you want to travel to the US specifically, I doubt they will return it to you. Your making seemingly concrete plans before having been approved for a visa is not the embassy's problem. Even if you were to delay the interview at this point, there is still the likelihood of not being able to enter the U.S.

I'm well aware that "concrete plans" shouldn't be made until the visa is in hand, but thanks for the "school ma'am" tone. I hope everyone was so kind and supportive towards you as you went through this process :)

Edited to add - there is actually NO reason why I shouldn't be admitted to the USA while awaiting a K1 visa - as many people do it. I have even been over for 3 months while we were waiting, earlier this year. The key point is whether you have intent to stay (ie not return to your home country within 90 days of entry on VWP). I can truthfully say I wouldn't have intent to stay (as I haven't the previous 10 or so times I've been on VWP).

Edited by UK_K1

2nd October 2012 - NOA2

I'm well aware of all of this, but thanks for the "school ma'am" tone. I hope everyone was so kind and supportive towards you as you went through this process :)

If you're well aware, then why are you asking? Unfortunately for you, you're looking for someone to tell you "yes, you can go ahead and do that!" and that you aren't receiving said affirmation, you're getting upset. Like many others, when I entered this process, I was well aware that I was giving up control of a huge fraction of my life for a period of time to the US government, and thus, knowingly didn't make plans that couldn't be changed.

This process is far from over, so be prepared for the future! Good luck to you. :thumbs:

Coming Soon...

Timeline

If you're well aware, then why are you asking? Unfortunately for you, you're looking for someone to tell you "yes, you can go ahead and do that!" and that you aren't receiving said affirmation, you're getting upset. Like many others, when I entered this process, I was well aware that I was giving up control of a huge fraction of my life for a period of time to the US government, and thus, knowingly didn't make plans that couldn't be changed.

This process is far from over, so be prepared for the future! Good luck to you. :thumbs:

As you'll see I edited my post to clarify what I was aware of ;)

Actually, what I was looking for was advice from someone with some real experience who could make an educated guess or offer advice based on what they'd seen in the past, not for someone to guess at what they may or may not do and suggest that there would be reason for me to not be admitted under the VWP (although there is obviously never any guarantee of entry).

EDIT - My bad, I apologise - I hadn't considered the implications of an approval on VWP eligibility.. guess I'll look that up now!!.. sigh.

Anyway, thanks for your input and well wishes and congratulations on your recent approval :)

Edited by UK_K1

2nd October 2012 - NOA2

Yes, you should be able to do that. Then you call the courier to pick up your passport and pay a two-way fare...to the embassy and then back to you. People have done that that flew to London from a long distance for their interview, but needed their passport for their return flight back home. I remember various threads on the subject and which airlines would let you fly without your passport or how you would get home without it. The solution for some was what I said. That was the embassy's answer. Just tell them you don't want to miss Christmas with the fiancé. However if you already told them you have a wedding to get to, you may have tipped your hand. So what will you answer when they say "you know you can't get married or you won't be issued this visa?"

Edited by Nich-Nick

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Timeline

Yes, you should be able to do that. Then you call the courier to pick up your passport and pay a two wayfare...to the embassy and then back to you. People have done that that flew to London from a long distance for their interview, but needed their passport for their return flight back home. I remember various threads on the subject and which airlines would let you fly without your passport or how you would get home without it. The solution for some was what I said. That was the embassy's answer. Just tell them you don't want to miss Christmas with the fiancé. However if you already told them you have a wedding to get to, you may have tipped your hand. So what will you answer when they say "you know you can't get married or you won't be issued this visa?"

I would tell them the truth - that as we have friends flying over, we want to spend christmas/new year with each other and them, even if we can't have the wedding and will postpone the actual marriage until the visa is issued.

Edited by UK_K1

2nd October 2012 - NOA2

You can, it's been done, but I would check with NVC to ask the date it went to London. There have been times that files have been held up at NVC for 30 days instead of 3. NVC 603-334-0700

Then I would call DOS and ask if the case has been logged in at London. If so, mail away. If not I would wait until they confirm, or mail on your medical date since you are going away and want to get it in before your holiday. DOS 202-663-1225 press 1, then 0

I would pay after you get the interview appointment letter. Paying early doesn't speed up getting an interview. Just pay before the interview so you have the emailed receipt to present on the day.

I'm sending all the forms today but just realized I haven't signed Form DS-157 as there is no place to sign...do I just sign at the bottom "/

I'm sending all the forms today but just realized I haven't signed Form DS-157 as there is no place to sign...do I just sign at the bottom "/

No signature required. Don't sign the one with the oath at the bottom either. DS-156K? (sorry, need my coffee). It is signed in front of the officer at the interview. Did you read the ones that you must send two of? And make photocopies of all just for your records and in case they should lose them?

Edited by Nich-Nick

England.gifENGLAND ---

10-05-08 Married

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

No RFEs

No signature required. Don't sign the one with the oath at the bottom either. DS-156K? (sorry, need my coffee). It is signed in front of the officer at the interview. Did you read the ones that you must send two of? And make photocopies of all just for your records and in case they should lose them?

Just checking, thought it was a bit strange. I havent signed the DS-156K either.

I will be making copies before I head downstairs to dispatch but I have:

• Cover Letter
  • DS-2001
  • DS-230
  • DS-156 x2
  • DS-157 x2
  • DS-156K

The only thing im worried about is, I still haven't received anything from the London Embassy. I have spoken to the DoS and they have confirmed it was sent to London and that they received the electronic copy but not the hard copy. I wanted to send it all first class and the guy who works in dispatch said I should send it pretty soon with all the Christmas post etc but is today too soon :( I just want to send it all off so after my medical they can start looking over things while im on vacation! Saying that...do I even know the address to send it to lol...

Is it the 5 Upper Grosvenor Street one??

Edited by MmmBlondie

The only thing im worried about is, I still haven't received anything from the London Embassy. I have spoken to the DoS and they have confirmed it was sent to London and that they received the electronic copy but not the hard copy. I wanted to send it all first class and the guy who works in dispatch said I should send it pretty soon with all the Christmas post etc but is today too soon :( I just want to send it all off so after my medical they can start looking over things while im on vacation! Saying that...do I even know the address to send it to lol...

Is it the 5 Upper Grosvenor Street one??

Immigrant Visa Unit

5 Upper Grosvenor Street

London W1A 2JB

It will be fine. They just collect things and when applications, DS-2001, and medical results are all accounted for, you get in the queue for interview assignment. Nobody looks them over or evaluates them til it's in the interviewer's hands on THE day. Mail them and get in the queue rather than delaying things until your return. Your medical is going to arrive perhaps before you hear from London, so might as well send the forms and hope an interview letter will arrive around the time you return.

England.gifENGLAND ---

10-05-08 Married

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

No RFEs

Got a text today saying that my passport and visa will be delivered tomorrow!

I am slightly worried about the brown envelope that I have to hand in to customs at my POE. The only thing I have is a folded over, white A4 envelope with my name and LND number scribbled on it in sharpie. It's open, and not sealed, with a busted staple through the top.

I was under the impression that this should NOT be opened under any circumstance?

May 20th 2011 - Meet in Chicago through mutual friends.
May 28th 2011 - Start relationship.
Feb 26th 2012 - Engaged!

K-1 JOURNEY
Filed I-129F - Jun 20th 2012
Approved - Dec 12th 2012
Total - 170 days

POE - Jan 20th 2013 Chicago
Married - Feb 26th 2013

AOS JOURNEY
Post AOS, AP, EAD - Mar 4th 2013
I-797C for all 3 - Mar 11th
Biometrics - Apr 4th 2013

AP + EAD Approved - May 10th 2013 (60 days)

Green Card - October 4th 2013

Timeline

Got a text today saying that my passport and visa will be delivered tomorrow!

I am slightly worried about the brown envelope that I have to hand in to customs at my POE. The only thing I have is a folded over, white A4 envelope with my name and LND number scribbled on it in sharpie. It's open, and not sealed, with a busted staple through the top.

I was under the impression that this should NOT be opened under any circumstance?

Wow - 4 working days from interview to delivery. Congratulations!

I hope the envelope isn't a problem for you - I'm sure those more knowledgeable will be able to advise!

2nd October 2012 - NOA2

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.