Nich-Nick

London 2012- K1s from NOA2 to interview thread

2,468 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Help,

So in addition to a few paperwork issues (which is easy to take care of). The interview did not go that well. Julian felt that the moment he sat down before 1 question was asked that something wasn't right. We think it's because we only met on November of last year and I've visited once. We didn't have the funds for multiple visits so were trying wait it out. The CO actually wanted to know why we just didn't get married when he was here the first time. (As if trying to be responsible and get our own apt. etc. was a bad idea). They began to grill him and the CO didn't think we had a real relationship, brushed off our chats/ and emails/pictures and cards as simply not enough. We were not denied, but asked to show more proof from summer on. They gave him his passport and chest X-ray. Julian wants to come for Christmas, which we feel would give us more couple time and time to generate more proof. Can he get in this country now that we are in the middle of this? Or do we just need to send as much hard proof as we can and hope for the best. At this point, we just want to be in the same place.

Any help is appreciated. crying.gif

Edited by MaryNYC

I'm so sorry. :( Was there a sense given of how much time you have to submit the additional proof? I would worry that waiting until Christmastime may be too late.

On his entering the U.S., there's always that risk that he won't be allowed to enter. Is there a possibility of you traveling to the UK instead?

Help,

So in addition to a few paperwork issues (which is easy to take care of). The interview did not go that well. Julian felt that the moment he sat down before 1 question was asked that something wasn't right. We think it's because we only met on November of last year and I've visited once. We didn't have the funds for multiple visits so were trying wait it out. The CO actually wanted to know why we just didn't get married when he was here the first time. (As if trying to be responsible and get our own apt. etc. was a bad idea). They began to grill him and the CO didn't think we had a real relationship, brushed off our chats/ and emails/pictures and cards as simply not enough. We were not denied, but asked to show more proof from summer on. They gave him his passport and chest X-ray. Julian wants to come for Christmas, which we feel would give us more couple time and time to generate more proof. Can he get in this country now that we are in the middle of this? Or do we just need to send as much hard proof as we can and hope for the best. At this point, we just want to be in the same place.

Any help is appreciated. crying.gif

Part One: The K-1 Visa Journey:

USCIS Receipt of I-129F: January 24, 2012 | Petition Approval: June 15, 2012 (No RFEs)
Interview: October 24, 2012 - Review | Visa Delivered: October 31, 2012

Part Two: Entry and Adjusting Status:

POE: November 18, 2012 (at SFO) - Review
Wedding: December 1, 2012 | Social Security: New cards received on December 7, 2012.
AOS Package (I-485/I-765/I-131) NOA1: February 19, 2013 | Biometrics Appt.: March 18, 2013
AP/EAD Approved: April 29, 2013 | Card Received: May 6, 2013 | AOS Interview Appt.: May 16, 2013 - Approved Review Card Received: May 24, 2013

Part Three: Removal of Conditions:

Coming Soon...

"When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America, you get a front row seat." – George Carlin

I'm so sorry. :( Was there a sense given of how much time you have to submit the additional proof? I would worry that waiting until Christmastime may be too late.

On his entering the U.S., there's always that risk that he won't be allowed to enter. Is there a possibility of you traveling to the UK instead?

I have no idea when the proof is due. I could travel to him again, yes, but I am so strapped for cash right now and he had told his landlord he would be leaving end of November. I could get there, but we'd hardly have any money to eat. I've worked so hard to have everything set up here, but just moving within the city cost me $3K (First, last and deposit). I'm still trying to recoup that. The proof I gave him was only about up to June (when I sent him the 1-134/extra proof/letter/taxes etc.) So maybe because I sent that stuff so early (since I THOUGHT I might get NOA 2 much earlier) Maybe that hurt us. I'm a little lost here as to what to do.

Then first, try to find out how much time you have to submit the additional evidence requested. I'm guessing you'll have to call the extortion line, but having a timeframe in mind will be crucial on any next steps taken. And if there's any way to push up a visit before Christmas, that may help.

USCIS Receipt of I-129F: January 24, 2012 | Petition Approval: June 15, 2012 (No RFEs)

Wedding: December 1, 2012 | Social Security: New cards received on December 7, 2012.
AOS Package (I-485/I-765/I-131) NOA1: February 19, 2013 | Biometrics Appt.: March 18, 2013
AP/EAD Approved: April 29, 2013 | Card Received: May 6, 2013 | AOS Interview Appt.: May 16, 2013 - Approved Review Card Received: May 24, 2013

Coming Soon...

"When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America, you get a front row seat." – George Carlin

Sorry to hear that Mary...

First of all don't panic, as you rightly said it's not a denial, all is not lost, it can be overcome.

You have a year to get the evidence to them, just be aware of your medical and police certificate expiries though.

(It tells you that on the 221(g) blue form)

K-1
NOA1 Nov 25th 2011
NOA2 May 30th 2012 (not a typo, 187 days no RFE)
Left NVC Jun 18th 2012
Medical Jun 28th 2012
Pkt 3 sent Jul 3rd 2012
Pkt 3 rec Jul 9th 2012 (sent before received)
Pkt 4 rec Jul 30th 2012
Interview Jul 30th 2012 (refused for lack of ongoing relationship evidence)
Approved Oct 5th 2012
Visa delivered Oct 10th 2012
POE JFK-NYC Nov 28th 2012
Married Dec 24th 2012

AOS
Package sent Jan 30th 2013
NOA1 Feb 6th 2013
Biometrics Mar 4th 2013
EAD/AP card in production Apr 5th 2013
EAD/AP card in mail Apr 11th 2013
EAD/AP card arrived Apr 13th 2013
SS card arrived Apr 19th 2013

AOS approved Sept 19th 2013 (no interview)

ROC

Package sent Sept 13th 2015

NOA1 Sept 15th 2015

Extension Letter 1yr Sept 15th 2015

Biometrics Oct 15th 2015

RFE Jul 11th 2016

Infopass 1yr extension Aug 26th 2016

RFE response Sept 30th 2016

Interview Mar 15th 2017

"You are lucky we are busy today, we are trying to clear this area, otherwise I wouldn't let you in" - Atlanta CBP Securing America's Borders

Sorry to hear that Mary...

First of all don't panic, as you rightly said it's not a denial, all is not lost, it can be overcome.

You have a year to get the evidence to them, just be aware of your medical and police certificate expiries though.

(It tells you that on the 221(g) blue form)

Stu does the NO2 expire or anything? Will he have trouble coming here on a tourist visa to visit. I'd love to have him here for Christmas to spend time with me and my family. I think that would really help!

Stu does the NO2 expire or anything? Will he have trouble coming here on a tourist visa to visit. I'd love to have him here for Christmas to spend time with me and my family. I think that would really help!

Your 221g has given you a year from date of interview, NOA2 is pretty much irrelevant now you have been given that.

He has a tourist visa?? or did you mean using VWP ??

I doubt anyone can answer that for sure though, either way I would have thought he would have more trouble than normal.

Is this trip for generating evidence?

Sorry, I don't know how many times you have met and for how long, or how you have been maintaining your relationship.

K-1
NOA1 Nov 25th 2011
Left NVC Jun 18th 2012
Medical Jun 28th 2012
Pkt 3 sent Jul 3rd 2012
Pkt 4 rec Jul 30th 2012
Approved Oct 5th 2012
Married Dec 24th 2012

AOS
NOA1 Feb 6th 2013
Biometrics Mar 4th 2013

ROC

NOA1 Sept 15th 2015

Biometrics Oct 15th 2015

RFE Jul 11th 2016

Interview Mar 15th 2017

"You are lucky we are busy today, we are trying to clear this area, otherwise I wouldn't let you in" - Atlanta CBP Securing America's Borders

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Mary I am so sorry :( Don't worry though, like Stu said, you have plenty of time to get all the evidence together but obviously you would like to speed up this process as much as you can so start gathering asap. We all know how hard it is to be separated but if you can send the evidence in by the next week of Nov say, then you never know, they might send him the visa by Christmas. I agree with the others that it is a long shot but all you can do is try. The quicker they have evidence then the quicker he will get the visa. Plus there is the chance he might be called for a 2nd interview or that he could be denied entry to the US so is it a good idea for him to travel? I know it's hard but hang in there! good.gif

The additional upside of getting the evidence in before Xmas would be to avoid all the holiday closures the embassy will likely have.

Coming Soon...

Your 221g has given you a year from date of interview, NOA2 is pretty much irrelevant now you have been given that.

He has a tourist visa?? or did you mean using VWP ??

I doubt anyone can answer that for sure though, either way I would have thought he would have more trouble than normal.

Is this trip for generating evidence?

Sorry, I don't know how many times you have met and for how long, or how you have been maintaining your relationship.

I meant tourist visa, I'm not sure what VWP is. We met in November of last year and he was here in NYC until mid Jan, he left, I visited him in Feb, we held out after that due to funds. If it's not smart for him to come here, I'd love to see him and yes, it would be for quality time as well as pics and stuff, but the difficult part is I wanted him to meet my entire family for Christmas since we are all scattered to the wind and now what will we do? I can send more relationship evidence, but we don't have more photos or anything, I pretty much sent what I had.

Edited by MaryNYC

Tourist visa is the B1/B2. VWP is the Visa Waiver Program.

Coming Soon...

Well you spent about as much time together as we did, how have you maintained contact since Feb?

Gather together anything and everything that you have ever sent to each other..

Emails

Chat logs (plus screenshots)

Phone records

Skype records (plus screenshots)

Cards (birthday, Xmas, Valentine, missing you, thank you, good luck, anything etc)

Letters (does anyone send these still?)

Possibly consider getting letters from folk that know and have met you both, and would swear to your relationship, if possible a dated photo with that person also.

It's a difficult one, especially if cash is tight and then him possibly getting turned away at at a US POE, even a tourist visa won't guarantee entry, especially now. (sorry I'm not trying to be a Debbie Downer here)

The most important thing is to get your evidence together asap and get it submitted, there is still time before Christmas to get approved.

I don't know if it's relevant to you, in that you want to generate more evidence, but what I submitted was only up to the date of interview.

Edited by Stu4Lee

K-1
NOA1 Nov 25th 2011
Left NVC Jun 18th 2012
Medical Jun 28th 2012
Pkt 3 sent Jul 3rd 2012
Pkt 4 rec Jul 30th 2012
Approved Oct 5th 2012
Married Dec 24th 2012

AOS
NOA1 Feb 6th 2013
Biometrics Mar 4th 2013

ROC

NOA1 Sept 15th 2015

Biometrics Oct 15th 2015

RFE Jul 11th 2016

Interview Mar 15th 2017

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Being British he is obviously eligible for the VWP so don't worry about that but as Stu said that doesn't guarantee entry I'm afraid. We don't know what notes the CBP officer may get when they scan his passport.

I would gather as much evidence as I can, remember Stu's story is similar & he has been through this. Letters of intent could be good too & maybe get them notarized? Just start gathering & good luck!

Does anyone know why the CO has asked us to provide an I-864? We brought the 134 and tax transcripts to the interview and I make well above poverty, thoughts?

That is odd. Since the CO questioned the validity of your relationship, perhaps they want the legally-binding affidavit of support document as further proof? Send it in along with paystubs, etc. At this point, send everything you have.

Coming Soon...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.