Nich-Nick

London 2012- K1s from NOA2 to interview thread

2,468 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

You don't need anything but your immunizations then. If you had diabetes, or cancer, or high blood pressure for example, then Knightsbridge would want a letter/statement/report/description from your doctor with details of your condition, dates, treatment, prognosis, meds now or if cured...

If you mention anti-depressants at all, they will likely ask for something from your doctor. I told my fiancé to say NO to that question. Not advising here because that is a personal decision and experience I am reporting and not a suggestion for anybody.

Thanks Robert & Nich. Yeah I am assuming I don't need any further documentation. I had cells that showed as transitional, this is before they even become pre-cancerous so not cancer at all & it was back in 2008, I was monitored & I have had clear results for 2 years now. I have all the test results, I never had any actual treatment as I didn't need any. I will explain all this to the doctor so I guess it should be fine.

Timeline

Hey everyone!

I have been looking and can't seem to find the answer so I'm hoping someone could clear this up for me :)

When my guy goes to the medical I know he will have to pay the 227£ because hes 15& over (of course lol) and I'm assuming he'll have to pay the 140£ for the chest x-ray. My question is, aside form the vaccinations (he already got all the ones that applied to him done) which other things on the list will he have to have done/pay for? all of them?

heres the list for a quick reference (page 6): http://photos.state.gov/libraries/unitedkingdom/164203/cons-visa/iv018a_medical.pdf

Thank you for your help!!

K-1 PROCESS

I-129F SENT...................................MAR 27, 2012
I-129F RECEIVED.........................MAR 29, 2012
NOA1...............................................APR 2, 2012
I-129F RFE......................................AUG 15, 2012
SENT RFE RESPONSE...............SEP 1, 2012
I-129F PETITION APPROVED....SEP 13, 2012
NOA2 HARD COPY......................SEP 17, 2012
PACKET 3 RECEIVED.................OCT 3, 2012 (Called DOS, London Logged Case)
PACKET 3 SENT...........................OCT 4, 2012
MEDICAL.........................................OCT 9, 2012
READINESS SENT.......................OCT 12, 2012
INTERVIEW LETTER.....................NOV 20, 2012 (First one sent on NOV 15th)
INTERVIEW.....................................NOV 28, 2012 (First Date: DEC 13th, e-mailed for earlier date)
VISA APPROVED!!
POE.................................................DEC 7,2012
MARRIED........................................DEC 11, 2012
GOT MARRIAGE CERT................JAN 17, 2013

AOS PROCESS

AOS PACKET SENT.....................FEB 25, 2013

NOA1...............................................FEB 4, 2013

BIOMETRIC APT...........................MAR 25, 2013

INTERVIEW LETTER....................APR 11, 2013

AOS INTERVIEW...........................MAY 17, 2013

GREEN CARD RECEIVED.............JUN 6, 2013

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Wales
Timeline

Hey everyone!

I have been looking and can't seem to find the answer so I'm hoping someone could clear this up for me :)

When my guy goes to the medical I know he will have to pay the 227£ because hes 15& over (of course lol) and I'm assuming he'll have to pay the 140£ for the chest x-ray. My question is, aside form the vaccinations (he already got all the ones that applied to him done) which other things on the list will he have to have done/pay for? all of them?

heres the list for a quick reference (page 6): http://photos.state.gov/libraries/unitedkingdom/164203/cons-visa/iv018a_medical.pdf

Thank you for your help!!

There's a single fee that includes the chest X-Ray at the UK medical at £227 total.

Provided he has all his vaccinations up to date he will have nothing else to pay unless they require something like a Sputum Sample which is not very likely.

Timeline

There's a single fee that includes the chest X-Ray at the UK medical at £227 total.

Provided he has all his vaccinations up to date he will have nothing else to pay unless they require something like a Sputum Sample which is not very likely.

Oh okay thank you very much! :D

K-1 PROCESS

I-129F SENT...................................MAR 27, 2012
I-129F RECEIVED.........................MAR 29, 2012
NOA1...............................................APR 2, 2012
I-129F RFE......................................AUG 15, 2012
SENT RFE RESPONSE...............SEP 1, 2012
I-129F PETITION APPROVED....SEP 13, 2012
NOA2 HARD COPY......................SEP 17, 2012
PACKET 3 RECEIVED.................OCT 3, 2012 (Called DOS, London Logged Case)
PACKET 3 SENT...........................OCT 4, 2012
MEDICAL.........................................OCT 9, 2012
READINESS SENT.......................OCT 12, 2012
INTERVIEW LETTER.....................NOV 20, 2012 (First one sent on NOV 15th)
INTERVIEW.....................................NOV 28, 2012 (First Date: DEC 13th, e-mailed for earlier date)
VISA APPROVED!!
POE.................................................DEC 7,2012
MARRIED........................................DEC 11, 2012
GOT MARRIAGE CERT................JAN 17, 2013

AOS PROCESS

AOS PACKET SENT.....................FEB 25, 2013

NOA1...............................................FEB 4, 2013

BIOMETRIC APT...........................MAR 25, 2013

INTERVIEW LETTER....................APR 11, 2013

AOS INTERVIEW...........................MAY 17, 2013

GREEN CARD RECEIVED.............JUN 6, 2013

Timeline

You don't need anything but your immunizations then. If you had diabetes, or cancer, or high blood pressure for example, then Knightsbridge would want a letter/statement/report/description from your doctor with details of your condition, dates, treatment, prognosis, meds now or if cured...

If you mention anti-depressants at all, they will likely ask for something from your doctor. I told my fiancé to say NO to that question. Not advising here because that is a personal decision and experience I am reporting and not a suggestion for anybody.

wouldnt that open up the possibility of issues later on if they found out you lied??

K1

02/09/12 I-129F Sent
02/15/12 NOA1 Received
06/29/12 NOA2 - APPROVED (135 days No RFE's)
07/26/12 UK Medical
07/28/12 Packet 3 received
07/31/12 Visa Fee paid & Packet 3 Sent. (with DS-2001)
08/21/12 Packet 4 received
09/07/12 K1 Interview - APPROVED (205 days No RFE's)
09/13/12 Passport/Visa & Package Received
12/10/12 P.O.E in Las Vegas, NV
12/12/12 Got Marriage License
12/14/12 MARRIED

AOS

12/27/12 Applied for SSC
12/28/12 Received Marriage Certificate
12/28/12 Recieved Marriage Certificate
01/02/13 Received SSC
01/07/13 AOS Sent
01/10/13 NOA Received
02/07/13 Biometrics
03/11/13 EAD & AP Approved (63 days)
03/14/13 EAD & AP card received
03/27/13 AOS Interview - *Error with Medical Certificate*

05/23/13 US Medical

05/29/13 New Medical Certificate Sent

06/07/13 AOS Approved

06/12/13 Green Card Arrived

Timeline

wouldnt that open up the possibility of issues later on if they found out you lied??

If you lie then yes it can be a problem however, what we 'think' something means and what something actually means can be two different things. A prescription for certain medication is not a diagnosis.

If you are prescribed anti depressants then this does not necessarily mean you have been diagnosed with depression either since anti depressants such as citalopram and fluoxetine can be prescribed for many things, including, depression, anorexia, heart conditions and the list goes on. It does not necessarily mean you have been diagnosed with something and it usually takes further investigation before something can be properly diagnosed.

Situational anxiety and depression is another possible diagnosis, but it is in itself not a diagnosis of depression unless done so by an appropriate medical professional such as a Cognitive Behavioural Therapist (CBT), Psychiatrist or other professional trained and qualified to diagnose mental health issues. I am not 100% certain, but I believe in this area, a GP can only make an 'initial diagnosis' and not a 'full diagnosis'.

I do know that a GP is capable of making a clinical diagnosis (heart rate elevation, blood toxicity, blood pressure) but beyond an initial diagnosis where they suspect something, I don't think a GP is usually capable of making a psychiatric diagnosis as they would not be qualified (this is my understanding and it may have changed). In many circumstances it might even be considered reckless if a GP were to diagnose someone as 'depressed' since there are hundreds of different types of depression, all of which require the correct level of care and treatment.

As with everything else with the visa, this is a 'factual' process and you should give the facts only. If you are unsure about something like a diagnosis, then you can complete a subject access request at the GP surgery you are registered at and request either to view your medical history, or you can arrange to sit down with a doctor and discuss the results of an earlier medical appointment so that you can clarify and give the correct information.

Photomile is bloody brilliant. My simple personal decision was based on there was no way they would know if he did or didn't take less than 30 days of an anti depressant. No way.

On a personal example. I taught school. Life was good. One day they rolled in a new little 7 year old girl severely handicapped with cerebral palsy to add to my class without any prior warning to me. Just said here ya go, this is Anna Lisa. I had no training or experience with such children. I had to take her to the bathroom and lift her out of her wheelchair (braces adding to the weight), pull down her knickers, and all the rest. She peed her pants which required changing. She smelled of urine. I had to feed her which meant doing so while trying to eat my own lunch because we had no lunch break away from the students in those days. I was overwhelmed. I didn't sign up to teach severely handicapped students. I wasn't even a Mom yet, so had never wiped anybody's bottom before. Oh poor me!

So I was lovely until I got home, Then I cried uncontrollably until bedtime. The next day after crying again the minute i left school, I called my doctor and told him the situation. I said I'm sure I can make a plan and be a wonderful teacher to this child if I can stop crying long enough to figure it out. He prescribed me Valium. I only took 2 or 3 days. I quit crying and feeling sorry for myself. I taught Anna Lisa to read and write. I taught her to feed herself.

The point of this long story is ...if I had the question "Have you ever suffered from depression?" I would say no. I felt depressed and sad and ambushed and needed medication but it was short lived. Bringing it up at an important visa medical would only open a can of worms and letters from doctors. I wasn't the immigrant but I would not tell that story if I had gone to Knightsbridge. Personal decision. Not advice.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Photomile is bloody brilliant. My simple personal decision was based on there was no way they would know if he did or didn't take less than 30 days of an anti depressant. No way.

On a personal example. I taught school. Life was good. One day they rolled in a new little 7 year old girl severely handicapped with cerebral palsy to add to my class without any prior warning to me. Just said here ya go, this is Anna Lisa. I had no training or experience with such children. I had to take her to the bathroom and lift her out of her wheelchair (braces adding to the weight), pull down her knickers, and all the rest. She peed her pants which required changing. She smelled of urine. I had to feed her which meant doing so while trying to eat my own lunch because we had no lunch break away from the students in those days. I was overwhelmed. I didn't sign up to teach severely handicapped students. I wasn't even a Mom yet, so had never wiped anybody's bottom before. Oh poor me!

So I was lovely until I got home, Then I cried uncontrollably until bedtime. The next day after crying again the minute i left school, I called my doctor and told him the situation. I said I'm sure I can make a plan and be a wonderful teacher to this child if I can stop crying long enough to figure it out. He prescribed me Valium. I only took 2 or 3 days. I quit crying and feeling sorry for myself. I taught Anna Lisa to read and write. I taught her to feed herself.

The point of this long story is ...if I had the question "Have you ever suffered from depression?" I would say no. I felt depressed and sad and ambushed and needed medication but it was short lived. Bringing it up at an important visa medical would only open a can of worms and letters from doctors. I wasn't the immigrant but I would not tell that story if I had gone to Knightsbridge. Personal decision. Not advice.

Wow Nich-Nick, what a powerful story about Anna Lisa. I wish more educators had your dedication!

I completely agree with everything that you and photomile have described regarding the medical questionnaire. There's also the "misused/abused drugs" question. The question doesn't ask, "have you ever used drugs" (yet the previous question asks "have you ever used tobacco") - so what's the point of disclosing the fact that someone smoked pot a few times with friends in college 10+ years ago? Especially if the person doesn't do drugs today, never went to rehab, never was a dealer or anything like that.

Timeline

The only thing I would add to that is that if you are asked a question, answer it truthfully and honestly. If they ask you if you have smoked pot, then you tell them. Never lie, but ensure your answers are factual. Now is not the time to add speculation in the mix. Never wilfully withhold information, but ensure any information you provide and request, is factual and correct.

The only thing I would add to that is that if you are asked a question, answer it truthfully and honestly. If they ask you if you have smoked pot, then you tell them. Never lie, but ensure your answers are factual. Now is not the time to add speculation in the mix. Never wilfully withhold information, but ensure any information you provide and request, is factual and correct.

I agree.

And thank you orangedesk for the nice compliment.

Well done on the visa, photomile. Now get on over here to Texas. We're waitin' on ya pardner. smileys-cowboy-004168.gif

England.gifENGLAND ---

10-05-08 Married

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

No RFEs

Timeline

powerful story Nich Nick but...when i took the medical exam the Dr gave me the sheet and told me I could use to to get health insurance when I move to the US. Lets say I suffered from depression and had taken medication. 20 years later in the US i get depression again and and take medication which my insurance company pays for. they do some digging around and find out about the previous prescription and i get hit with a law suit? could this not happen?

also couldn't the embassy or UCSIS randomly do a background check on me and access my medical record which would show that prescription?

just beleive any kind of lie/half truth/misleading the us government will come back to bite you in the ####.

personally i don't believe in anti depression medication. i have not had an easy life. a healthy diet, regular exercise and a strong faith have been enough to keep me going.

K1

02/09/12 I-129F Sent
02/15/12 NOA1 Received
07/26/12 UK Medical
12/14/12 MARRIED

AOS

12/27/12 Applied for SSC
01/02/13 Received SSC
01/07/13 AOS Sent
01/10/13 NOA Received
02/07/13 Biometrics

05/23/13 US Medical

06/07/13 AOS Approved

Timeline

they asked me if i had ever been prescribed any medication from a Dr. Anti depressants would fall under that surely??

for me ive only had pain killers and allergy tablets.

i was actually quite nervous about my answers for being honest but not believable. ive never taken any drugs, never smoked and barley drink. got the feeling the Dr though i was bullsh*tting him

K1

02/09/12 I-129F Sent
02/15/12 NOA1 Received
07/26/12 UK Medical
12/14/12 MARRIED

AOS

12/27/12 Applied for SSC
01/02/13 Received SSC
01/07/13 AOS Sent
01/10/13 NOA Received
02/07/13 Biometrics

05/23/13 US Medical

06/07/13 AOS Approved

Timeline

powerful story Nich Nick but...when i took the medical exam the Dr gave me the sheet and told me I could use to to get health insurance when I move to the US. Lets say I suffered from depression and had taken medication. 20 years later in the US i get depression again and and take medication which my insurance company pays for. they do some digging around and find out about the previous prescription and i get hit with a law suit? could this not happen?

A US insurance company would not be able to dig and access your medical information from the UK. Not a chance. Never going to happen. If you don't authorise it, you could sue the asses off any UK doctor that gave information without authorisation, especially from another country

also couldn't the embassy or UCSIS randomly do a background check on me and access my medical record which would show that prescription?

No. Your medical records have to be released and you would need to authorise that release.

just beleive any kind of lie/half truth/misleading the us government will come back to bite you in the ####.

No one has, and no-one ever will tell you to lie. Who has told you to lie? Nich-Nick has said above that they told their partner not to declare anti depressants. Just because you don't volunteer information does not mean you are telling a lie. Nich-Nick's partner may never have even been asked about 'whether they were prescribed anti depressants'. In either case, no. Don't lie.

personally i don't believe in anti depression medication. i have not had an easy life. a healthy diet, regular exercise and a strong faith have been enough to keep me going.

I'm glad it's kept you going, but depression is a mental illness that can be correctly treated with appropriate medication and therapy. Circumstances that may be appropriate for you may not be appropriate for other people especially depending on the type of depression type.

they asked me if i had ever been prescribed any medication from a Dr. Anti depressants would fall under that surely??

ANY medication? This seems a little extreme for the medical examiner and I don't recall seeing anyone getting asked for their entire prescription history. Most people are prescribed a lot of medications throughout their life. By the time you reach age 15 you're talking about antibiotics, post natal care drugs, ear infection drops, eye drops, asthma inhalers.... any medication seems a little over the top! did they not just ask about recent medication? What do you consider recent? Six months to a year is about right for this time frame.

Robert, sometimes you just don't comprehend. A doctor will not ask every medication you have ever taken in your life. Holy cow! Are you serious?. A typical question is "what medications are you taking? That means present tense. Some people may take blood thinners, beta-blockers, insulin, anti-inflammatories, or whatever each day. I don't take anything either and usually answer multi-vitamin and sometimes Tylenol.

Sometimes people get hit with something incredibly difficult...death, divorce, Anna Lisa, job lay-off, terminal cancer. Maybe they need a couple of weeks of meds to stop crying long enough to deal with it. Does that mean they are clinically depressed, mentally ill, suicidal, or a threat to others?? There is a difference from months on drugs and being really sad for two weeks. Of course if they said point blank have you ever been prescribed Valium, I would say yes--four pills in 19xx, and 1 pill in 20xx one hour before day surgery to carve my face up. But if I was asked have I ever suffered from depression, I would say no.

England.gifENGLAND ---

10-05-08 Married

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

No RFEs

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.