Nich-Nick

London 2012- K1s from NOA2 to interview thread

2,468 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

No. Always put the most current info on the form du jour. If something changes by the time you interview, inform the interviewer or if you really, really want to be pedantic, take a newly filled out form with the updates. That would be embassy forms, not going back to the petition forms. Having a job doesn't really matter. Having a job making bombs might interest them and get you additional processing at the embassy level for security concerns.

Thanks for that. I only ask as, from what I can gather, the company I currently work for is looking at cutting down staff later in the year (what's new, eh?) and it would be a pain if I was cut while my K1 is going through the process and such. As long as it isn't crucial to the process, that's all I was mainly concerned about.

Current Status: AOS - Processing

Happily Married Dec 6th 2013 <3

Timeline

From what I can gather from another thread, there is now an additional fee that needs to be paid as part of getting the K1 visa as well as other Visa types, the New USCIS Immigrant Fee.

The fee seems to differ between countries, but for the UK it is said to be $165

http://london.usembassy.gov/visa_news_iv_fees.html

It'd be best to add this to all relative guides and tips, this would be something you don't want to be unprepared for.

Best make sure to save up another 'ton' for that fee, guys.

Edited by Master Semaj

Timeline

From what I can gather from another thread, there is now an additional fee that needs to be paid as part of getting the K1 visa as well as other Visa types, the New USCIS Immigrant Fee.

The fee seems to differ between countries, but for the UK it is said to be $165

http://london.usembassy.gov/visa_news_iv_fees.html

It'd be best to add this to all relative guides and tips, this would be something you don't want to be unprepared for.

Best make sure to save up another 'ton' for that fee, guys.

Isn't the K1 (fiance) visa a non-immigrant visa? Regardless, we'll be prepared with the extra funds just in case.

Timeline

Isn't the K1 (fiance) visa a non-immigrant visa? Regardless, we'll be prepared with the extra funds just in case.

Now it seems the thread I got the information from the OP was misinformed or misunderstood the news, but yes it apparently doesn't apply to K1. At least not yet anyway. If they are adding additional fees to things these days, best stay on the look out for any more.

Timeline

Also, read this closely, especially the highlighted section:

Effective February 1, 2013, all individuals issued immigrant visas overseas must pay a $165.00 USCIS Immigrant Fee before traveling to the United States. Only prospective adoptive parents whose child(ren) is/are entering the United States under either the Orphan or Hague Process, Iraqi and Afghan special immigrants who were employed by the U.S. government, returning residents, and those issued K visas are exempt from the new fee.

Even so... taking the extra funds. Fail to prepare, prepare to fail.

Also, read this closely, especially the highlighted section:

Effective February 1, 2013, all individuals issued immigrant visas overseas must pay a $165.00 USCIS Immigrant Fee before traveling to the United States. Only prospective adoptive parents whose child(ren) is/are entering the United States under either the Orphan or Hague Process, Iraqi and Afghan special immigrants who were employed by the U.S. government, returning residents, and those issued K visas are exempt from the new fee.

Even so... taking the extra funds. Fail to prepare, prepare to fail.

It doesn't apply to K1 which is not an immigrant visa. Immigrant visas allow you permanent resident status as soon as you enter the US. If you read about it, the fee is paid before POE and if not, the greencard won't be sent until it is paid. It is not paid at the embassy, but to USCIS, which the embassy is not part of. It is not a visa fee, but greencard related.

Visa - Dept of State; Greencard - USCIS

A K1 has to apply for a greencard ($1070) after the marriage to the USC. Save your funds for that because you won't be working or leaving the US or getting a regular driver license until you do....and of course add the wait of 2-3 months for the work and travel authorization to be approved.

Edited by Nich-Nick

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Hi my interview is tomorrow - I'm probably being stupid but I'm allowed to take a rucksack/backpack in with me right? I don't really want to carry my documents on the train and underground in my hands all the way there. As long as I take all electronics out of it, etc. I'll be ok right?

Hi my interview is tomorrow - I'm probably being stupid but I'm allowed to take a rucksack/backpack in with me right? I don't really want to carry my documents on the train and underground in my hands all the way there. As long as I take all electronics out of it, etc. I'll be ok right?

Watch the interview video previously posted in this thread. They say no backpacks, but if you look at the people going in, you will see some backpacks. How about an accordion folder with a stretchy elastic that holds it closed?

England.gifENGLAND ---

10-05-08 Married

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

No RFEs

Watch the interview video previously posted in this thread. They say no backpacks, but if you look at the people going in, you will see some backpacks. How about an accordion folder with a stretchy elastic that holds it closed?

Thanks for that. I have 2 of them as lots of financial evidence. I'll just carry them in :-)

My interview is a exactly a week away. Can anyone tell me if ive forgotten anything please? At least if I have I've got a week to sort it!

My Checklist is:

• Interview Letter
  • MRV Receipt
  • Full Long Birth Certificate
  • Passport
  • US Sized Photos
  • Police Certificate
  • My Fiancés tax transcripts and W-2s plus a photo copy of his military ID
  • I-134 Affidavit of Support(Original and signed by him)
  • Evidence of on-going relationship
  • X2 copies of everything I have already sent in

I also have a copy of my vaccines just in case. Am I missing anything?!

My interview is a exactly a week away. Can anyone tell me if ive forgotten anything please? At least if I have I've got a week to sort it!

My Checklist is:

• Interview Letter
  • MRV Receipt
  • Full Long Birth Certificate
  • Passport
  • US Sized Photos
  • Police Certificate
  • My Fiancés tax transcripts and W-2s plus a photo copy of his military ID
  • I-134 Affidavit of Support(Original and signed by him)
  • Evidence of on-going relationship
  • X2 copies of everything I have already sent in

I also have a copy of my vaccines just in case. Am I missing anything?!

Of that list take a photocopy of any of the documents you need back like the birth certificate, police certificate, and maybe the tax transcript if it's the original. We got the original police certificate back, but I've heard others say they didn't, even when they provided a photocopy. Not that it's ever been needed again.

England.gifENGLAND ---

10-05-08 Married

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

No RFEs

Of that list take a photocopy of any of the documents you need back like the birth certificate, police certificate, and maybe the tax transcript if it's the original. We got the original police certificate back, but I've heard others say they didn't, even when they provided a photocopy. Not that it's ever been needed again.

No problem. Got that covered as well. I have X2 photocopy of not only everything I sent in but everything i'm taking with me just in case.

At least I know I've got everything though :D

Thank you everything especially you Nich-Nick. I would have never gotten this far without you :)

Filed: Timeline

Hi,

My interview is on the 12th. Today I realised that my fiancee misspelt the name of my road on the first page of the I-134. It's the tiniest of mistakes, it ends in two ts while she only put one. If there was time I think I would just get her to send me a correct one but as there isn't I'm not sure what the best way to correct it is. The page that is wrong isn't the page that needs to be signed so I'm thinking that she could fill it out correctly and then email me the pdf and I could print it out here. But then the first page will be in A4 and the second page will be American sized, so it will be obvious that I printed it and I don't know if there would be an issue if the first page was printed after and independently of the signed second page.

Any advice would be great. Thanks

Hi,

My interview is on the 12th. Today I realised that my fiancee misspelt the name of my road on the first page of the I-134. It's the tiniest of mistakes, it ends in two ts while she only put one. If there was time I think I would just get her to send me a correct one but as there isn't I'm not sure what the best way to correct it is. The page that is wrong isn't the page that needs to be signed so I'm thinking that she could fill it out correctly and then email me the pdf and I could print it out here. But then the first page will be in A4 and the second page will be American sized, so it will be obvious that I printed it and I don't know if there would be an issue if the first page was printed after and independently of the signed second page.

Any advice would be great. Thanks

Why don't you just add the second "T" in yourself? Even if the whole thing is typed whose to know who added in the extra "T" in pen?

If its just one letter I would just correct it myself. Its one letter of the alphabet on a form where the original signature is the most important thing.

Thats just my idea though.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.