110 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
I WAS advised NOT to do so.....by the person who had divorced me and the person who filled my papers....i was advised NOT to.

Who were these people? US Lawyers? What?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

I don't think she got bad legal advise. The lawyer did suggest for her to disclose her previous marriage. She listened to the wrong person: the one that apparently married them, who should be held accountable for lying to them in the first place. Why would you claim to legally marry someone and then claim it was "off the books"? I hate to say this, but this will be an uphill battle.

NO BOTH LAWYERS SAID NOT MENTION MY PREVIOUS MARRIGE I WROTE IT WRONG ON THE FIRST POST...AND THE CO OFFICER NEVER QUESTIONED ME ABOUT IT, BUT THE WHITE SLIP HE GAVE ME AND ,Y HUSBAND SAYS THAT FALSE EVIDENCE WAS GIVEN. THIS IS A NIGHTMARE, AND I AM THE PETITONER MY HUSBAND IS THE BENEFICIARY. AT THE INTERVIEW NONE OF THIS WAS DISCLOSED.

Filed: Timeline

You may have to move to the DR to be with your husband. If you would have disclosed this info in the beginning with your divorce decree you may have been ok. But someone gave you bad advice. :wacko:

Edited by Barbie_Vazquez

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Then what is wrong posting her info?

Attorney may or may not want her name to be posted on the public forum. They are human beings too, you know.

You may have to move to the DR to be with your husband. If you would have disclosed this info in the beginning with your divorce decree you may have been ok. But someone gave you bad advice. :wacko:

My recommendation to OP is to get good advice. I do not think he/she needs to get repeated what she shouldn't of done. It is already done and no point sticking it to the OP. If you have advice, provide it.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Sounds like you have a case for action against both Lawyers, at least make sure they are reported to the State Bar.

I was going to say that this was a separate issue, but it may well help your case if the State Bar takes action against them for unprofessional conduct.

http://immigrate2us.net/forum/showthread.php?91329-Immigration-Lawyers-Recommended-by-I2US-Members

List of recommended Lawyers from I2US

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

NO BOTH LAWYERS SAID NOT MENTION MY PREVIOUS MARRIGE I WROTE IT WRONG ON THE FIRST POST...AND THE CO OFFICER NEVER QUESTIONED ME ABOUT IT, BUT THE WHITE SLIP HE GAVE ME AND ,Y HUSBAND SAYS THAT FALSE EVIDENCE WAS GIVEN. THIS IS A NIGHTMARE, AND I AM THE PETITONER MY HUSBAND IS THE BENEFICIARY. AT THE INTERVIEW NONE OF THIS WAS DISCLOSED.

Ok, first off, are you sure these individuals are actually lawyers? Sounds to me they are fooling you because you've stated that you indeed have a divorce decree. So, was the marriage off the books or did you get legally divorced which means it was actually registered? I'm very confused, I must say. The story is all over the place.

The other issue is you didn't get denied, your husband did. So you claim this was never disclosed at the interview. I hate to say this, but there's a possibility your husband also lied about something. Did you check the forms he filled out? My guess is you didn't present enough evidence except for western union receipts and a handful of pictures. A 20 year old sending money to a husband and ex-brother-in-law may look incredibly suspicious of fraud. They know you were married, no doubt about that. They must've done a background check and found the misleading information.

My recommendation is to write your case in bullet points and study your timeline well. You will find the answer once you do a thorough critical analysis. Right now the story is scrambled, understandibly so; you just got denied and that's upsetting beyond repair. Go thru the paperwork. Print out a checklist from this website and cross reference everything. You will find many answers, including how to proceed.

Good luck!

Edited by NY_BX

Don't ever do anything you're not willing to explain the paramedics.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Find the best immigration attorney you can get or afford. It may be too late to fix this, good luck, I feel very sorry for both of you.

In Arizona its hot hot hot.

http://www.uscis.gov/dateCalculator.html

I just don't understand what possessed you to lie on an immigration form...most people get caught out unintentionally where they misread the form...the US has incredible resources at its hands to detect misinformation and lying...

I don't understand why you think the CO was "unfair." He was just doing his job and had every right to deny you. This is clear cut, no gray line here.

I don't even know if what you guys did was even waiverable. I would expect a few years before (if) he gets a visa.

Edited by Justine+David

Naturalization

9/9: Mailed N-400 package off

9/11: Arrived at Dallas, TX

9/17: NOA

9/19: Check cashed

9/23: Received NOA

10/7: Text from USCIS on status update: Biometrics in the mail

10/9: Received Biometrics letter

10/29: Biometrics

10/31: In-line

2/16: Text from USCIS that Baltimore has scheduled an interview...finally!!

2/24: Interview letter received

3/24: Naturalization interview

oops. bringing out the angry CAPS doesnt make people wanna help. we know youre hurting but please be civil.

the i-130 was signed by you. by signing as the petitioner you were attesting that your petition was completed with truthful information. answering a question that asks if you have ever been married before with a 'no' is a lie. you knew that, no matter what you lawyer made you do. so let us not muddy those waters too much.

you need to find out for certain why the visa was denied so that if you do refile, you are able to overcome that issue (if possible).

head over to i2us.net. they have far more expertise with denials, bans and waivers. you will find better help there.

you are probably going to need a lawyer who specializes in immigration law and specifically with denials. it will not be cheap.

you need to inform yourself thoroughly. you were underprepared and now things are pretty complicated.

you will get responses in these forums that may be hard to hear, but they will be things you need to know to move forward.

21 oct 08 : i-129F sent / 22 oct 08 : NOA1 / 23 feb 09: NOA2 / 13 mar 09 : rec'd 'packet 3' / 28 mar 09 : rec'd 'packet 4' / 20 apr 09 : interview / 22 apr 09 : passport/visa delivery by courier / 29 apr 09 : POE @ PHL / <3 05 may 09 : married <3 / 06 jul 09 : AOS submitted / 09 jul 09 : NOA for EAD/AP/i-485 / 28 jul 09 : biometrics / 31 aug 09 : AP rec'd / 02 sep 09 : EAD rec'd / 19 oct 09 : conditional green card rec'd

16 jul 11 : i-751 sent to VSC (fedex)

18 jul 11 : fedex confirmed delivery; NOA1 generated

20 jul 11 : NOA1 notice rec'd; check cashed; touch

26 jul 11 : NOA2 generated

28 jul 11 : NOA2 biometrics appt letter rec'd

29 jul 11 : letter req biometrics appt rescheduling sent

09 aug 11 : biometrics appt (could not attend); NOA3 generated

11 aug 11 : NOA3 (rescheduled) biometrics appt letter rec'd

24 aug 11 : biometrics appt

14 oct 11 : conditional green card expiry date

16 nov 11 : filed AR-11 for LPR online

18 nov 11 : mailed i-865 for USC

22 nov 11 : moved house; NOA4 change of address for USC rec'd

13 dec 11 : filed AR-11 for LPR by phone

29 dec 11 : filed hardcopy AR-11 for LPR by mail

18 jan 12 : 6 month mark ROC

05 apr 12 : approval letter rec'd

16 jul 12 : n-400 filing window opens

immediate concerns:

none, immigration-wise.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

The first person had to be someone capable of performing a wedding. I doubt that person had anything to do with immigration, therefore that advise isn't really that important. But the lawyer.. A whole different thing. Misinformation. Did they do your paperwork for you?

It doesn't matter if USCIS or embassy would have found out. It matters that you kept it from them, and still didn't mention it. They ask questions over and over again(drugs, any charges/violations, kids etc) , if not for their sake, then for protecting the other half of the relationship, be it immigrant or USC. Just assume they already knew about your marriage during background checks. You might have had a tiny chance of coming clean anytime during the process but still withheld information. It makes your husband look bad if(or when) he has material misrepresentation written all over his file.

I'm sorry you got bad advise from more than one person. In the 601 waiver instructions (page 4, "2. immigration fraud or misrepresentation") you'll find what you need based on your denial - that, and a lawyer as already mentioned in this thread.

K1 process, October 2010 > POE, July 2011

I-129F approved in 180 days from NOA1 date. (195 days from filing to NOA2 in hand)

Interview took 224 days from I-129F NOA1 date. (241 days from filing petition until visa in hand)

From filing I-129F petition until POE: 285 days

Click timeline or "about me" for all details.

AOS process, December 2011 > July 2012

EAD/AP Approval took 51 days from NOA1 date to email update. (77 days from filing until EAD/AP in hand)

AOS Approval took 206 days from NOA1 date to email update. (231 days from filing until greencard in hand)

From filing I-129F petition until greencard in hand: 655 days

Click timeline or "about me" for all details.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

you can read the law here maybe you can do something good luck

http://www.justice.gov/eoir/vll/benchbook/templates/212(i)%20Waiver.htm

again

http://www.justice.gov/eoir/vll/benchbook/templates/212(i)%20Waiver.htm

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

It's not clear whether the bad advice was actually from an attorney but the advice of an attorney experience with overturning visa denials that are based on material misrepresentation is what is urgently needed now. Be prepared for either a very long and expensive road or even the possibility that the advice is to give up on your quest to be together in the USA. Material misrepresentation is a serious matter, usually resulting in a lifetime ban from entering the USA (for the foreigner) and in the worst of cases, prosecution and jail for the US Citizen.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Algeria
Timeline

A ban for misrepresentation, although extremely difficult, can be overcome. I've been there with my spouse. It is as others have told you a long and expensive process. A waiver of inadmissibility can be filed to waive the ban but its approval is not guranteed. I too suggest to head over to I2US.net for more help with your case. The link of recommended lawyers provided by Boiler is a good start as well. Just remember that it is a lifetime immediately waiveable ban. The chance of being prosecuted is extremely unlikely so I wouldn't worry about that. The incidence of being charged federally for fraud based immigration violations is very small. I know personally one person who it happened to but the case with due to fraudulent entry into the US and he was the immigrant.

event.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

It's not clear whether the bad advice was actually from an attorney but the advice of an attorney experience with overturning visa denials that are based on material misrepresentation is what is urgently needed now. Be prepared for either a very long and expensive road or even the possibility that the advice is to give up on your quest to be together in the USA. Material misrepresentation is a serious matter, usually resulting in a lifetime ban from entering the USA (for the foreigner) and in the worst of cases, prosecution and jail for the US Citizen.

Wow, I even forgot about that! If a USC lies, there's a chance that starts a record and even jail time. This probably isn't the case, but, wow! it is a serious matter.

Don't ever do anything you're not willing to explain the paramedics.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.