UK_Fan

nat geo

178 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

It never takes Alla even a second to think of something to say. :blush:

lol i wish i was the same way.. i just can't think of something on a whim... so they usually get the same ole "zdravstvuyte" lol

event.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

lol i wish i was the same way.. i just can't think of something on a whim... so they usually get the same ole "zdravstvuyte" lol

If Alla ever stops talking it may take her a second to realize it and resume. :P She switches back and forth from English to Russian even in one sentence, seemlessly throwing in a Russian word when she doesn't know the English equivilent, no doubt for my benefit to increase my Russian vocabulary. :lol:

When people ask her where she is from, she says "The Islands" :lol: ("The Islands" here refers to the Lake Champlain islands and everyone takes it to mean that)

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Timeline

If Alla ever stops talking it may take her a second to realize it and resume. :P She switches back and forth from English to Russian even in one sentence, seemlessly throwing in a Russian word when she doesn't know the English equivilent, no doubt for my benefit to increase my Russian vocabulary. :lol:

that's my case when i try to speak Russian to my mom.. like i would be telling her something, then start telling her something in English cuz i just can't, for the life of me, think of how to say it in my native tongue, but of course, that goes no where...

event.png

It never takes Alla even a second to think of something to say. :blush:

Kira has ZERO hesitation with a comeback. And I'm not talking lame comebacks, I'm talking the kind of comebacks that make me wish I had never made a wise crack to her in the first place. And it's never in Russian. She's been here for two years now and her comebacks in English are better than most. I can only guess what it would be like in Russian.

Edited by Why_Me

sigbet.jpg

"I want to take this opportunity to mention how thankful I am for an Obama re-election. The choice was clear. We cannot live in a country that treats homosexuals and women as second class citizens. Homosexuals deserve all of the rights and benefits of marriage that heterosexuals receive. Women deserve to be treated with respect and their salaries should not depend on their gender, but their quality of work. I am also thankful that the great, progressive state of California once again voted for the correct President. America is moving forward, and the direction is a positive one."

Timeline

When people ask her where she is from, she says "The Islands" :lol: ("The Islands" here refers to the Lake Champlain islands and everyone takes it to mean that)

When I went to New Orleans, I was telling almost everybody that I was from Maryland or New York (I went there with a girl, who is a Giants' fan, so a lot of times it was easier just to tell people that we were from New York - plus she used to live there) - nobody even suspected that I was a foreigner.

When I did tell people that I was from Russia, they were like

- :blink: You don't even have an accent

- Yes, i do. You must be deaf :P

Here, in Maryland, people stopped asking me questions about my accent. Sometimes, when I mention that I'm from Russia, they say that they could hear a slight accent, but they decided not to ask, because they didn't want to make a fool of themselves :lol:

Вiрити нiкому не можна. Hавiть собi. Менi - можна ©

When I went to New Orleans,

Anyone NOT from New Orleans has an accent to anyone from Nawlins.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Anyone NOT from New Orleans has an accent to anyone from Nawlins.

I was lucky to have visited NO well before Katrina. Great to visit but wouldn't want to live there. Food excellent. Great music on every street corner. I kind of like that French/Cajun flavored accent.

Timeline

When I went to New Orleans, I was telling almost everybody that I was from Maryland or New York (I went there with a girl, who is a Giants' fan, so a lot of times it was easier just to tell people that we were from New York - plus she used to live there) - nobody even suspected that I was a foreigner.

When I did tell people that I was from Russia, they were like

- :blink: You don't even have an accent

- Yes, i do. You must be deaf :P

Here, in Maryland, people stopped asking me questions about my accent. Sometimes, when I mention that I'm from Russia, they say that they could hear a slight accent, but they decided not to ask, because they didn't want to make a fool of themselves :lol:

Let ne tell you about Louisiana. There is a show on TV about Louisiana, Swamp something or 'nother, anyway they use English subtitles for people speaking English! Get it.

They wouldn't know a foreign accent if it hit them on the head

Gary And Alla

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Let ne tell you about Louisiana. There is a show on TV about Louisiana, Swamp something or 'nother, anyway they use English subtitles for people speaking English! Get it.

Actually them Cajuns are good folk.....my first job out of college was part of a big greenfield chemical plant oonstruction project on Weeks Island, a bit south of Lafayette (pronounced Laugh-ay-ette, Laa-fey-ette is in Indiana!). Got in good with many of the local yocals.....tremendous hosts, lost of skiing trips after work in the Intercoastal Waterway (learned to stay up on the skis because if you went into the water, one should always look around for "logs" moving towards you or S shaped movements!!), tons of great parties, lots of seafood (crawfish etouffe to die for) and hot babes. Good times. And being from Chee-ca'-go(actually Chi-caw'-go for me), my accent to them was just as bad as theirs to me. Many a weekend into Nawlins (east on I-10? right?)

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Timeline

The show is called "Swamp People", I've seen it when I was still in Russia.

They get offended, when you mention it to them though. Even our Swamp Tour guide got offended, when somebody said "Choot 'em!"

And it doesn't mean that everybody there talks like that, especially in the city.

Вiрити нiкому не можна. Hавiть собi. Менi - можна ©

Timeline

The show is called "Swamp People", I've seen it when I was still in Russia.

They get offended, when you mention it to them though. Even our Swamp Tour guide got offended, when somebody said "Choot 'em!"

And it doesn't mean that everybody there talks like that, especially in the city.

New Orleans was an often visited place in my work and because I grew up in the neighborhhood (Texas) It is best viewed at night in my opinion. Great food, music, etc, but the place is a filthy trash heap which stinks to high heaven due to the heavy concentrarion of industry and chemical plants in the area. In my opinion Hurricane Katrina was pretty much what the doctor ordered, like a flush job for the city. Bulldozing the 9th ward was about the best possible result for that area of the city.

In addition to the filth, the city and state are dysfunctionally corrupt, have been since the beginning of time. The Soviet Union was several clicks more on the up and up than Louisiana/New Orleans. New Orleans is the US's "black hole" in terms of its abilty to make money disappear and no tangible result ever escape

Gary And Alla

I was lucky to have visited NO well before Katrina. Great to visit but wouldn't want to live there. Food excellent. Great music on every street corner. I kind of like that French/Cajun flavored accent.

I visited the NO way before I could respect it properly. I need to head back there as an adult so I can get the "full experience."

My wife and I were watching that and she could not stop laughing about the subtitles. "Event I can speak better English than these American people, blat. If I gonna be speak on TV nobody gonna need subtitles for me, blat."

Laa-fey-ette is in Indiana!).

Born there.

And they say it as laa-FEE-ette.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Timeline

My young blond Russian hottie wife only cost me $99 on EM!

I selected her out of an online catalog.

God's truth>

I think when all was said and done it cost you a lot more than that Baron. I stopped counting a long time ago... :lol:

I-129F Sent : 2010-01-16
Visa Approved!!: 2010-04-20
Visa Received: 2010-04-28
POE Chicago: 2010-05-01
Married: 2010-06-30
AOS filed: 2011-01-25
AOS Approved: 2011-03-25

ROC Approved 06-2013

Citizen 09-14

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

I think when all was said and done it cost you a lot more than that Baron. I stopped counting a long time ago... :lol:

Just a tad.....but worth it!!

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.