Paul H

Paying Canadian bills from the U.S.

21 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

So we have a water bill to pay in Canada that we need to pay in Canadian funds. They don't take credit cards, only interact cards and they can only be used in person which is out of the question in this case. We no longer have a Canadian bank account and our U.S. TD Bank claims it's against the law to give us a check in Canadian funds. What other options are there for sending Canadian funds to Canada without sending cash?

Thanks!

-Paul & Jenni

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

If you go to your bank you should be able to get a foreign currency draft. I did this when I needed to pay for something in Australia from Canada. There is a fee, but they give you what amounts to a certified cheque that you can just send to the company. I would think that US banks would provide the same service.

K1 process

2011-07-19 I-129f sent

2011-07-21 NOA1

2011-12-12 NOA2

2011-12-16 NVC received

2011-12-20 NVC left

2011-12-21 Consulate received

2012-01-13 Packet 3 sent

2012-01-25 letter from consulate re: packet 3 (lawyer's mistake)

2012-01-26 Packet 3 re-sent

2012-02-03 Packet 4 sent

2012-03-26 Interview - Passed!

2012-03-31 POE

2012-04-08 Married!!!

AOS

2012-05-04 Sent I-485, I-765 and I-131

2012-05-11 Email receipt confirmation received

2012-05-18 NOA1 received

2012-05-23 Biometrics appointment notice received

2012-05-24 Request for Initial Evidence received

2012-06-06 Biometrics appointment

2012-06-11 Applied for SSN

2012-06-16 SSN arrived (only took 5 days!)

2012-07-24 NBC received our response to RFE

2012-08-07 email notification - EAD & AP approved!

2012-08-16 EAD/AP card received

2012-09-27 AOS approved!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Got any friends back from where you were? If so, go to the bank, buy Canadian cash, take the cash, and send it registered mail to your friends and ask them to drop it off.

Other option is to do the above, and simply mail the water company the cash enclosed in a registered envelope. The recipient must sign for it, and I doubt any will go missing.

In my opinion registered mail between Canada and the US is not risky.

That's a pretty creepy water company to treat you like this, many would just say: screw you and not ever pay. It's good that you're honest enough to be making an attempt.

09/29/2012 - Met Online

11/22/2012 - 11/28/2012 - Steve's 1st Visit

02/08/2013 - I129F Submitted

02/12/2013 - NOA1

02/13/2013 - 03/07/2013 - Steve's 2nd Visit

02/14/2013 - Officially Engaged

06/21/2013 - Case transferred from VSC to TSC

07/24/2013 - NOA2

08/21/2013 - File sent to NVC

08/28/2013 - MNL Case Number received through phone

08/30/2013 - Visa Fee Paid

09/04/2013 - Medical Exam at SLEC (Done in 1 day)

09/25/2013 - Interview Appointment (Under AP with 221G)

10/01/2013 - Additional Document dropped at 2GO SM Cebu

10/08/2013 - CEAC Status Updated to READY

10/30/2013 - CEAC Status Updated to AP

10/30/2013 - CEAC Status ISSUED

11/06/2013 - VISA Received

11/11/2013 - CFO Done

11/15/2013 - POE Detroit

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

My bank would do one for me (BoA) when I asked about 2 months ago, they said it would take about 2-3 days to get though. Did you ask for a check or money order? I can see a check being a no.

Edited by Jess&Tim

Timeline

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Timeline

My bank would do one for me (BoA) when I asked about 2 months ago, they said it would take about 2-3 days to get though. Did you ask for a check or money order? I can see a check being a no.

Asked for money order. TD bank won't do it. We'll try Well's Fargo tomorrow when they open. The closest American Express place is a 40 minute drive, but we'll go there if we have to. I think there is a Bank of American in town we could try if Well's Fargo won't do it.

Thanks for the ideas!

-Paul & Jenni

Timeline

Where can you get a money order in Canadian funds?

i used to do ebay stuff and the post office was always able to do money orders in both funds..and for cheaper than a bank.

HWDWm6.png

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

USPS will not give a money order in Canadian funds. I went down that road with them

when trying to get a money order in Canadian funds for Canadian passport renewal.

I had a money order from Canada sent to me for the renewal.

The International money order they refer to is issued in US funds.

Timeline

USPS will not give a money order in Canadian funds. I went down that road with them

when trying to get a money order in Canadian funds for Canadian passport renewal.

Odd..like i said i do ebay stuff all the time and i always got usps money orders in canadian funds. maybe its just the office where you live? either way wont kill anyone if the op goes to his office and tries.

HWDWm6.png

Timeline

Weird Iv gotten it in Canadian funds before. Which is why I posted it. Had no issue at all asking for it in Canadian currency.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Timeline

As it turns out the people at our local TD branch told us a bunch of lies and they got in trouble for it. They now say they can give us a foreign draft check for a $25 fee. We also have an American Express office about 20 miles from us that will give us a foreign draft for no charge being a card holder.

-Paul & Jenni

The cheapest way I'm paying Canadian bills here with a US account is to go to a local Canadian bank (RBC is my favourite as they don't charge me any fee) and ask for a cash advance with my US debit card. Exchange rate is good. Then I take the cash and walk into a payment centre for the bill and just pay cash. An option?

Sorry if I'm missing something obvious here but I quickly learned here that money orders are too expensive so I try to avoid them.

Done: I-130/CR-1, I-751/ROC

Done: I-327

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.