웃

‘How do atheists find meaning in life?’

49 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Danno this post will go down in my book as the Danno-logic post of the decade! Cudos!

As always fact free and ever eager to show off your bias. Simply a wonder!

If you need facts, just ask, google is out there my friend.

Here I will even help you out (such a team player that danno)

=====================================

In the study, the no-faith segment was defined as anyone who openly identified themselves as an atheist, an agnostic, or who specifically said they have "no faith." In total, this group represents a surprisingly small slice of the adult population, about one out of every 11 Americans (9%). However, in a nation of more than 220 million adults, that comprises roughly 20 million people.

Interestingly, only about five million adults unequivocally use the label "atheist" and, when asked to describe the nature of God, staunchly reject the existence of such a being. In other words, most of those who align with the no-faith viewpoint harbor doubts as to the existence or nature of a supreme deity but do not express outright rejection of God.

Atheists and agnostics are distinct demographically from the active-faith segment. The no-faith audience is younger, and more likely to be male and unmarried. They also earn more and are more likely to be college graduates.

Independent...and Disengaged

One of the most significant differences between active-faith and no-faith Americans is the cultural disengagement and sense of independence exhibited by atheists and agnostics in many areas of life. They are less likely than active-faith Americans to be registered to vote (78% versus 89%), to volunteer to help a non-church-related non-profit (20% versus 30%), to describe themselves as "active in the community" (41% versus 68%), and to personally help or serve a homeless or poor person (41% versus 61%). They are also more likely to be registered to vote as an independent or with a non-mainstream political party.

One of the outcomes of this profile - and one of the least favorable points of comparison for atheist and agnostic adults - is the paltry amount of money they donate to charitable causes. The typical no-faith American donated just $200 in 2006, which is more than seven times less than the amount contributed by the prototypical active-faith adult ($1500). Even when church-based giving is subtracted from the equation, active-faith adults donated twice as many dollars last year as did atheists and agnostics. In fact, while just 7% of active-faith adults failed to contribute any personal funds in 2006, that compares with 22% among the no-faith adults.

http://www.barna.org/barna-update/article/12-faithspirituality/102-atheists-and-agnostics-take-aim-at-christians

=========================

Here is how the NYTIMES describes an atheist convention.... how many chicks do you think one might pick up there?

Truth of it is, Atheists must resort to marrying women who do not share their minority faith, some don't "settle" perhaps this accounts for the high rates of -never married among them.

The conference, sponsored by the Council for Secular Humanism, drew members from all the major doubters’ organizations, including American Atheists and the American Humanist Association. The largely white and male crowd — imagine a Star Trek convention, but older

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/16/us/16beliefs.html

.. how many chicks do you think one might pick up there?

Truth of it is, Atheists must resort to marrying women who do not share their minority faith, some don't "settle" perhaps this accounts for the high rates of -never married among them.

if you need more, let me know :thumbs:

type2homophobia_zpsf8eddc83.jpg

"Those people who will not be governed by God

will be ruled by tyrants."

William Penn

Sorry Danno you tried but failed miserably topping your earlier post.

B and J K-1 story

• April 2004 met online
  • July 16, 2006 Met in person on her birthday in United Arab Emirates
  • August 4, 2006 sent certified mail I-129F packet Neb SC
  • August 9, 2006 NOA1
  • August 21, 2006 received NOA1 in mail
  • October 4, 5, 7, 13 & 17 2006 Touches! 50 day address change... Yes Judith is beautiful, quit staring at her passport photo and approve us!!! Shaming works! LOL
  • October 13, 2006 NOA2! November 2, 2006 NOA2? Huh? NVC already processed and sent us on to Abu Dhabi Consulate!
  • February 12, 2007 Abu Dhabi Interview SUCCESS!!! February 14 Visa in hand!
  • March 6, 2007 she is here!
  • MARCH 14, 2007 WE ARE MARRIED!!!
  • May 5, 2007 Sent AOS/EAD packet
  • May 11, 2007 NOA1 AOS/EAD
  • June 7, 2007 Biometrics appointment
  • June 8, 2007 first post biometrics touch, June 11, next touch...
  • August 1, 2007 AOS Interview! APPROVED!! EAD APPROVED TOO...
  • August 6, 2007 EAD card and Welcome Letter received!
  • August 13, 2007 GREEN CARD received!!! 375 days since mailing the I-129F!

Remove Conditions:

• May 1, 2009 first day to file
  • May 9, 2009 mailed I-751 to USCIS CS

Timeline

Sorry Danno you tried but failed miserably topping your earlier post.

You didn't like being shut-down like that huh???

:rofl:

William Penn

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Peru
Timeline

As a believer, my thought is that ALL people (believers and non-believers) are created in God's image. So, the innate desire to live a good life which is full of meaning has nothing to do with if the person believes or not, because we're all created the same cloth. Its in our DNA.

The Bishop is a wise man :yes:

205656_848198845714_16320940_41282447_7410167_n-1.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Some people have better things to do on a Sunday Morning.

Each to their own.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

Because I don't believe in God my life has no meaning? Sheesh...

Of course that would be silly, everyone has some meaning in life..... even if it amounts to keeping up with American Idol.

I suspect the better question is; Are Atheists coming up short in some areas of deep meaning in their life?

There are a number of findings which suggest, perhaps.

William Penn

Timeline

They believe, so a weird question.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Of course that would be silly, everyone has some meaning in life..... even if it amounts to keeping up with American Idol.

I suspect the better question is; Are Atheists coming up short in some areas of deep meaning in their life?

There are a number of findings which suggest, perhaps.

These questions are answered in the Indian Spiritual Classic, The Mahabharata, classified as one of the world's greatest (if not the greatest) works of literature. This is an absolutely wonderful work of theology in which there are two warriors who are cousins from the same bloodline: Arjuna and Karna. Each are equal in all physical and mental attributes and both are outstanding human beings on every level, morality included, and both are very pure and disciplined in all their thoughts and actions. Yet, according to the Epic, Arjuna is a ardent seeker/lover of God while Karna has a more distant relationship with God...more like an agnostic (to try to put the original sanskrit into an English concept we can understand). In this beautiful Epic, it is shown that both men live wonderful and fulfilling lives...almost mirror images of each other's existence. However, Arjuna's life shines more fully when fully tested, because of his seeking/belief in God.

Its unfortunate that Christian literature is so very weak when compared to the Epics of some other religions. In my case, I've often only found the true meaning of Christianity after reading other religion's literature.

Blessings - BishopM

“Acquire the spirit of peace and a thousand souls around you will be saved.” Saint Seraphim of Sarov

jesus-animated-gif-image-0110.gif

“The love of one’s country is a splendid thing. But why should love stop at the border?” Pablo Cassals

You didn't like being shut-down like that huh???

:rofl:

2. Judges 3:19-25 ESV

And Ehud reached with his left hand, took the sword from his right thigh, and thrust it into his belly. And the hilt also went in after the blade, and the fat closed over the blade, for he did not pull the sword out of his belly; and the dung came out.

Pretty sure this verse is an allusion to a Danno post...

B and J K-1 story

• April 2004 met online
  • August 9, 2006 NOA1
  • October 4, 5, 7, 13 & 17 2006 Touches! 50 day address change... Yes Judith is beautiful, quit staring at her passport photo and approve us!!! Shaming works! LOL
  • October 13, 2006 NOA2! November 2, 2006 NOA2? Huh? NVC already processed and sent us on to Abu Dhabi Consulate!

Remove Conditions:

Speaking of fools...

When second coming?

MAT 24:34 Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass, till all these things be fulfilled.

MAR 13:30 Verily I say unto you, that this generation shall not pass, till all these things be done.

LUK 21:32 Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass away, till all be fulfilled.

(See also 1TH 4:15-18)

B and J K-1 story

• April 2004 met online
  • August 9, 2006 NOA1

Remove Conditions:

Timeline

Depends on what you mean by 'coming'.

What a stupid question to ask an atheist. You don't need 15 paragraphs to answer the question, it's a simple answer: Atheists don't "just go out and kill" ourselves, because we don't believe in an afterlife. We believe you get one shot at it, and that's all. Why would you shorten the most precious thing you have?

Quite the contrary, I've often wondered why theists don't just go kill themselves. Gets you to heaven faster, ends all this earthly suffering. Yeah, yeah, there's that whole "suicide is a mortal sin" thing, but since theists have made exceptions for just about every other teaching in their holy books, suicide might as well just go out the window too.

If I didn't know better I would say that by the sentence I highlighted that you are a pro-lifer...sigh.

Edited by _Simpson_

Because I don't believe in God my life has no meaning? Sheesh...

And the people who believe in God are bumbling idiots? Personally I think for anyone to claim without a doubt that there is or isn't a God shows me that they haven't put enough thought into this topic.