Jana&Martin

Possible citizenship mistake on application...help?

8 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hello,

My fiance and I filed for our K-1 visa in December. We received our first NOA about 2 weeks later to let us know that they received everything, but I have a few questions because we are both now realizing we may have possibly made a mistake.

1. My fiance was born in Lithuania, but moved to the UK in 2003. On the application we put that his country of birth was Lithuania and his residence was the UK. However, I am curious if the fact that he has not applied for British citizenship will affect the petition/interview at all? He has lived in the UK continuously since 2003, but I read somewhere that he isn't really a citizen until he applies for the naturalization through an application? I could be wrong, that is why I am double checking here. Also another factor is that his passport is Lithuanian, and he got it in 2009. He did this because that was the first time he was coming to see me and his previous passport was close to expiring. So instead of applying for a UK passport which apparently takes a year he applied for a Lithuanian passport which took a month. Does this mean he will not go to the embassy in London, but have to go to Lithuania?? Or is there a Lithuanian branch in the UK embassy that would accept him if we do get approved for an interview? OR is any of this even relevant, does it matter if he isn't a British citizen but resides there and we filed for him to go to the London embassy?

Sorry for such a long and sort of jumbled question, I am not sure the best way to put it. I was confident we filed everything correctly but now I am nervous we made a mistake that will delay or possibly cause the rejection of our application :(

Also has anyone noticed that age affects decisions? I am 18 and my fiance is 20. We have been together since 2009, but as you can see I was underage at the time so he was coming to visit me as a "friend". Will that factor in to how they determine if we're eligible? Does him saying that we were friends to the immigration officers when we were actually in a relationship mean that they will see that when processing our application and refuse us for being untruthful?

Any help and information is appreciated, thanks.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Lithuania
Timeline

UK is part of the European Union - meaning that no matter where he's from (Lithuania, Poland or any other EU country) he can legally live and work in any country within the Union. He does not need to have a UK passport (in other words be a citizen of United Kingdom). He applied as a Lithuanian citizen and you had to list the consulate you wanted to deal with when filling out the documentation. You will be dealing with the American Embassy, no difference what country it's in - you will go through the same process.

Timeline

Thank you!! I was very confused as to what was going on, but that was probably just me being nervous. I still need info/experiences with the age issue though, if anyone has any input on that

Thank you!! I was very confused as to what was going on, but that was probably just me being nervous. I still need info/experiences with the age issue though, if anyone has any input on that

There is no problem at all being Lithuanian and interviewing in London. People who work or study in the UK do it all the time. Everybody interviews at the Embassy closest to where they reside, no matter their country of birth.

Your age is not going to be a factor other than do you make enough income to prove you can support him? Otherwise line up a sponsor who does and will fill out the I-134 and later the I-864 for him. They aren't detailed enough to ask what he said to the immigration guys when he visited or worry about how old you were when you met him. Some people fret that they were with their fiance while they were still married. USCIS doesn't evaluate morals...only that you are free to marry and have met in person. London especially does not care at all about proving you relationship.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Timeline

Well I was looking at the affidavit of support poverty line, and it says you have to make an income of at least 18,000 with a 2 person household? I will be making that THIS year only, but the problem is I did not make that last year. Is there any way I can just bring in a bank statement and/or pay stubs for a certain amount of time from this year rather than bring in my tax returns from the previous years? or will they require that I bring in my W-2's and my tax returns even if I didn't make as much those years as I am now?

Well I was looking at the affidavit of support poverty line, and it says you have to make an income of at least 18,000 with a 2 person household? I will be making that THIS year only, but the problem is I did not make that last year. Is there any way I can just bring in a bank statement and/or pay stubs for a certain amount of time from this year rather than bring in my tax returns from the previous years? or will they require that I bring in my W-2's and my tax returns even if I didn't make as much those years as I am now?

For the K1 interview in London, they don't even require a tax return. You can prove current income with pay stubs. A letter from your employer is always a good proof too. It's all about current income, not what you made in previous years.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Timeline

For the K1 interview in London, they don't even require a tax return. You can prove current income with pay stubs. A letter from your employer is always a good proof too. It's all about current income, not what you made in previous years.

Thank you!! :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.