NoneYa

1040 vs IRS Transcripts

78 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

It shouldn't cost you any money , I got my 1040s and w2s for the last 3 years and it only took a week to get to me. Just call em up and tell them you need it ASAP. Getting them online costs a bit of money ,but directly from the IRS should cost you nothing!

Last time I checked the transcripts are free but to request a 1040 it cost $ 57.00. Form # 4506 is what you need to fill out to order it.

http://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc156.html

At their interview, a K-1er at the U.S. Embassy Manila recently submitted a tax transcript. The consular officer required the K-1er to submit an income tax return.

Tax transcripts are acceptable as long as you submit the income tax return with it.

That is just flat misinformation. Tax transcripts are perfectly fine.

"""Tax transcripts are acceptable as long as you submit the income tax return with it."""

Why in the world would you possibly want to submit a tax transcript if you have the return

I read that document but I saw no where on there where it says IRS Transcripts are acceptable. Maybe I am missing it but I see only that the 1040 is required. If you see where it says IRS Transcripts are acceptable, please someone point it out to me because I don't see that. Thanks.

The K-1 I-134 does not specifically require even a 1040 or transcript according to the USICS web site. If you dig a little further you will see that the I-864, very specifically states that a transcipt is fine and reconized by the USICS for immigration purposes. I have not been on VJ in a while, and we are pending AOS, but it amazes me people still sit here and guess what they think the requirements are and pass bad information. As somewhat of a vetran at this, a lot the of repsonses I see, espically in the K-1 forum are poor guesses.

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.5af9bb95919f35e66f614176543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=b70f8875d714d010VgnVCM10000048f3d6a1RCRD&vgnextchannel=db029c7755cb9010VgnVCM10000045f3d6a1RCRD

Last time I checked the transcripts are free but to request a 1040 it cost $ 57.00. Form # 4506 is what you need to fill out to order it.

http://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc156.html

Odd , I just called and got mine like 2 monthes ago , No cost at all. Like I said online everywhere I went costed money , but when I called and waited like 2 hours to ttalk to someone , they just sent it to me.

How things change.. When we went through this a couple of years ago, it was my understanding that transcripts were preferred and that was all I sent. We didn't have any problems at all. I'm getting ready to send the I-751 packet in the next couple of months and was going to call for transcripts again. Guess I need to rethink that huh :blink:

-USCIS-

COMPLETED - March 9th, 2010

-NVC-

CASE COMPLETE - April 2nd, 2010

-INTERVIEW-

APPROVED - May 18th, 2010

POE - Detroit, June 11th, 2010

GREEN CARD - July 21st, 2010

SS CARD - August 13th, 2010

-ROC-

I-751 Sent March 23rd, 2012

NOA1 March 26th, 2012

Biometrics Appt. April 27th, 2012

Bio done early - April 18th, 2012

ROC Approved - September 12, 2012

10 Year GC - September 17, 2012

That is just flat misinformation. Tax transcripts are perfectly fine.

"""Tax transcripts are acceptable as long as you submit the income tax return with it."""

Why in the world would you possibly want to submit a tax transcript if you have the return

^^^ A VJ K-1er reported that they submitted only tax transcripts and the consular officer then required them to submit their income tax return. Where is the misinformation in that? That was their experience. Are you saying the consular officer was mistaken?

I submitted tax returns and transcripts because I wanted to build the best case possible...and it worked for us. I advocate building the best case possible, and I can't understand why anyone would recommend doing anything less when it comes to assuring that their fiancée is successful with her Embassy interview.

The K-1 I-134 does not specifically require even a 1040 or transcript according to the USICS web site. If you dig a little further you will see that the I-864, very specifically states that a transcipt is fine and reconized by the USICS for immigration purposes. I have not been on VJ in a while, and we are pending AOS, but it amazes me people still sit here and guess what they think the requirements are and pass bad information. As somewhat of a vetran at this, a lot the of repsonses I see, espically in the K-1 forum are poor guesses.

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.5af9bb95919f35e66f614176543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=b70f8875d714d010VgnVCM10000048f3d6a1RCRD&vgnextchannel=db029c7755cb9010VgnVCM10000045f3d6a1RCRD

^^^ The only bad information here is your assumption that the consular officers at the Embassy are bound by what the USCIS says. They work for the Department of State, and they are given wide discretion in determining the public charge issue. The bottom line is...if the consular officer wants to see a tax return, you're not going to get a visa until they see that tax return.

Tahoma gives great advice (as always).

It seems incredible to me that transcripts (alone) would not be enough. (But I too read the VJ post where a 1040 was requested). A transcript, issued by the IRS is an exact summary of what was filed with the IRS. Why would a paper copy of the 1040 be of any use? Most people efile and don't ever sign a tax return or really need to even have a paper copy of their tax return. (I haven't filed a paper return in at least 10 years). I can produce a paper 1040 that says anyhting I want. The transcript is what was actually filed with the IRS.

Just makes no sense to me.

Service Center : California Service Center

Consulate : Manila, Philippines

I-129F Sent : 2008-12-02

I-129F Receipt Notice : 2008-12-05

RFE: 2009-02-26

Approval Notice: 2009-03-13

NVC Received: 2009-03-23

Left NVC: 2009-05-12

Stuck at NVC 50 days

Interview: 2009-06-23 Passed!

Visa picked up: 2009-06-25

POE Detroit: 2009-07-04

Married: 2009-09-11

Filed for AOS: 2009-09-22

Biometrics taken: 2009-10-29

Advance Parole approved 2009-11-04

Employment Authorization approved 2009-11-04

AOS Appointment 2009-12-15

AOS Approved 2009-12-15

Green Card Received 2010-01-02

Filed for ROC: 2011-09-17

ROC approved 2012-03-21

Green Card Received 2012-03-26

How things change.. When we went through this a couple of years ago, it was my understanding that transcripts were preferred and that was all I sent. We didn't have any problems at all. I'm getting ready to send the I-751 packet in the next couple of months and was going to call for transcripts again. Guess I need to rethink that huh :blink:

Transcripts are preferred. One guy somewhere, who probably got misquoted said they did not accept them and all of a sudden it's fact. There is just so much mis-information out there. It just kind of seems wrong to lead people down a path, that are new to this, by making them think you need tax transcripts and your 1040, which both contain the exact same info.

P.S. you also don't need 400 pages of chat transcripts 50 pictures etc etc.

Really it's no skin of my back if the OP delays their interview on this absurd advice, Just trying to help.

^^^ A VJ K-1er reported that they submitted only tax transcripts and the consular officer then required them to submit their income tax return. Where is the misinformation in that? That was their experience. Are you saying the consular officer was mistaken?

I submitted tax returns and transcripts because I wanted to build the best case possible...and it worked for us. I advocate building the best case possible, and I can't understand why anyone would recommend doing anything less when it comes to assuring that their fiancée is successful with her Embassy interview.

^^^ The only bad information here is your assumption that the consular officers at the Embassy are bound by what the USCIS says. They work for the Department of State, and they are given wide discretion in determining the public charge issue. The bottom line is...if the consular officer wants to see a tax return, you're not going to get a visa until they see that tax return.

Who is this mystical VJ member and where is the post. ??

Transcripts are preferred. One guy somewhere, who probably got misquoted said they did not accept them and all of a sudden it's fact. There is just so much mis-information out there. It just kind of seems wrong to lead people down a path, that are new to this, by making them think you need tax transcripts and your 1040, which both contain the exact same info.

P.S. you also don't need 400 pages of chat transcripts 50 pictures etc etc.

Really it's no skin of my back if the OP delays their interview on this absurd advice, Just trying to help.

The USCIS does not issue K-1 visas...the Embassy does. When you read post #11, you will discover that the Embassy requires tax returns, and they mention nothing about transcripts. It would be absurd to ignore the Embassy requirements and risk a delayed visa.

Who is this mystical VJ member and where is the post. ??

I'll let you do your own homework because I have no problem following the Embassy's directions.

The USCIS does not issue K-1 visas...the Embassy does. When you read post #11, you will discover that the Embassy requires tax returns, and they mention nothing about transcripts. It would be absurd to ignore the Embassy requirements and risk a delayed visa.

I'll let you do your own homework because I have no problem following the Embassy's directions.

So you quote the USICS website in one place then say the USICS has nothing to do with VISA requirements in another. So can you offer any evidence that someone was denied. My lawyer said Tax Transcript was fine, I jsut happned to have the 1040.. I know lots of people that used them. Your wrong a lot dude you need to stop telling people needing help stuff if you don't actually know the right answer. Remember when you argued for three days that you could not schedule an interview unless your packet was actually in Manilla. ?

So you quote the USICS website in one place then say the USICS has nothing to do with VISA requirements in another. So can you offer any evidence that someone was denied. My lawyer said Tax Transcript was fine, I jsut happned to have the 1040.. I know lots of people that used them. Your wrong a lot dude you need to stop telling people needing help stuff if you don't actually know the right answer. Remember when you argued for three days that you could not schedule an interview unless your packet was actually in Manilla. ?

Wrong: Nowhere did I quote the USCIS. I quoted the U.S. Embassy Manila.

Wrong again: Where did I say "the USCIS has nothing to do with visa requirements?"

Wrong yet again: I never said anyone was denied a visa. Do you even know the difference between a denial and an MNL-IV-22?

And yes, of course I remember the discussion about whether an I-129F packet had to physically be at the U.S. Embassy Manila and entered into their system before an interview can be scheduled. Apparently, your memory is very selective, because it was never determined whether your result was due to misinformation from a tier one NVC script-reader. Can you show me where you disagreed with this?

If you want to argue with the Embassy, feel free to do so. Here is another place on the Embassy's website that discusses tax returns. It was linked in the original post: My link.

9. EVIDENCE OF FINANCIAL SUPPORT

~snip~

Form I-134 Affidavit of Support: The I-134 Affidavit of Support is required for returning residents (SB-1), fiancé(e)s or spouses of U.S. citizens (K1, K3), children of K1 and K3 applicants, and applicants with special immigrant status. A copy of the sponsor's most recent Federal Income Tax Return (Form 1040) should accompany the I-134. Faxed copies of the ITR are acceptable.

Now it's your turn. Show me where the USEM website discusses tax transcripts for K-1ers.

Edited by Tahoma

1, Like I said I know many people who used the Tax Transcripts which is even the USICS websit states is clearly acceptable.

2. You still have not produced the poster that said they were denied. You gonna produce a source that backs up your story. ? BTW arguing the term "denied" is symantics. As far as I am concerned if you did not leave there that day with a Visa Approval you were denied.

3. 100's if not 1000's of Manila filers know or have known that as soon as NVC issues your MNL case number you can schedule your appointment. You appear to be the only person that ever married a pinay that does not know that.

4. The only beef I have with you is that you post things that are not true, that I am afraid will cause delays or added stress to an already stressful process. I don't post anything unless I know it for a fact. Stop guessing about things. People here reley on this site for help and guidance.

1, Like I said I know many people who used the Tax Transcripts which is even the USICS websit states is clearly acceptable.

2. You still have not produced the poster that said they were denied. You gonna produce a source that backs up your story. ? BTW arguing the term "denied" is symantics. As far as I am concerned if you did not leave there that day with a Visa Approval you were denied.

3. 100's if not 1000's of Manila filers know or have known that as soon as NVC issues your MNL case number you can schedule your appointment. You appear to be the only person that ever married a pinay that does not know that.

4. The only beef I have with you is that you post things that are not true, that I am afraid will cause delays or added stress to an already stressful process. I don't post anything unless I know it for a fact. Stop guessing about things. People here reley on this site for help and guidance.

2. there was a member who said they were given a 221g, later adding it had a notation MNL-IV-22, to submit a copy of the tax return when they had submitted a tax transcript. it is not accurate to say if you were not told the visa was approved on the day of the interview that you were denied.

3. there was a time when the interview could not be scheduled unless the physical petition was at the embassy. after the NVC issues a MNL Case Number an electronic file is sent to the Embassy, followed by the physical petition. if the physical petition is not at the Embassy at the time of the interview, there can be no interview. I've had personal experience with this, not at the Embassy level, but at an USCIS District Office.

4.you don't post anything unless you know it is a fact? Do you think it might cause someone unnecessary stress by saying they were denied if not told they were approved on the day of the interview, but had received a MNL-IV-22 ?

US Embassy Manila website. bringing your spouse/fiancee to USA

http://manila.usembassy.gov/wwwh3204.html

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

Lighten up! Jeez!

Just recently a CO at the interview requested a copy of his tax return (1040), she had a transcript of his returns and was required to get actual copies of the 1040. Its very recent you should have no issue finding it in a search. The instructions for the 134 also state copies of tax return (1040). I know others have used transcripts and been fine but all you need is a CO that goes by the letter of the instructions for the 134 and you will be getting a request for copies of the tax return (1040).

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.