NoneYa

1040 vs IRS Transcripts

78 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I ordered IRS transcripts thinking those would be the best but Manila ask for the most recent 1040.

This is probably a mute point since I will try to file this month but is the IRS Transcripts acceptable ? or do they want a 1040.

http://manila.usembassy.gov/wwwh3217.html

Filed: Timeline
m. EVIDENCE OF SUPPORT. You should be able to demonstrate that you will not become a public charge or be a burden on the U.S. taxpayers for financial support. A completed I-134 Affidavit of Support Form will be useful to the consular officer to evaluate your petitioner’s ability to be financially responsible for you. You should also submit your petitioner’s most recent U.S. Federal income tax return (Form 1040) and wage statements (Form W-2). Employment letters stating salaries and bank statements may be included to substantiate the I-134. Download Form I-134 at http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis.

http://photos.state.gov/libraries/manila/19452/public/Revised%20K1%20Instruction%20Packet%20_3__rtf2_003.pdf

Transcripts should be fine. The same instructions are given for the Immigrant Visas, although they require a different form that explicitly lists transcripts as acceptable proof in the form instructions.

Edited by ☼

Timeline

I read that document but I saw no where on there where it says IRS Transcripts are acceptable. Maybe I am missing it but I see only that the 1040 is required. If you see where it says IRS Transcripts are acceptable, please someone point it out to me because I don't see that. Thanks.

At their interview, a K-1er at the U.S. Embassy Manila recently submitted a tax transcript. The consular officer required the K-1er to submit an income tax return.

Tax transcripts are acceptable as long as you submit the income tax return with it.

Edited by Tahoma

At their interview, a K-1er at the U.S. Embassy Manila recently submitted a tax transcript. The consular officer required the K-1er to submit an income tax return.

Talaga? That definitively answers that question. However, what does an E-filer do?

From elsewhere, in the USCIS world:

You must provide either an IRS transcript or a photocopy

from your own records of your Federal individual income tax

return for the most recent tax year. If you believe additional

returns may help you to establish your ability to maintain

sufficient income, you may submit transcripts or photocopies

of your Federal individual income tax returns for the 3 most

recent years.

You are not required to have the IRS certify the transcript or

photocopy unless specifically instructed to do so by a

Government official; a plain transcript or photocopy is

acceptable. Telefile tax records are not acceptable proof of

filing.

http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-864ez.pdf

Edited by ☼

Timeline

Well, I guess we won't be having our interview until I file now... thank God this is not November. You can order a 1040 from the IRS but it takes 60 days and $ 57.00. I have the check made out but I think I will just submit 2011 1040 when I file it.

This guy was rejected for bringing Transcripts only.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/346296-221g-tax-return/

Well, I guess we won't be having our interview until I file now... thank God this is not November. You can order a 1040 from the IRS but it takes 60 days and $ 57.00. I have the check made out but I think I will just submit 2011 1040 when I file it.

Yeah, that's crazy! It's easy to fake a return, not so easy to fake a transcript.

so far this has only been posted by one member. we don't know if this is an isolated incident of one CO not knowing tax transcripts are acceptable or if the Embassy now prefers only copies of the 1040 and

W-2. wonder if any members tax transcripts were not accepted.

US Embassy Manila website. bringing your spouse/fiancee to USA

http://manila.usembassy.gov/wwwh3204.html

However, what does an E-filer do?

Print out a copy and send it in?

Also, from the U.S. Embassy Manila:

You must bring the following documentation when you come to the Embassy for your interview:

~snip~

m. EVIDENCE OF SUPPORT. You should be able to demonstrate that you will not become a public charge or be a burden on the U.S. taxpayers for financial support. A completed I-134 Affidavit of Support Form will be useful to the consular officer to evaluate your petitioner’s ability to be financially responsible for you. You should also submit your petitioner’s most recent U.S. Federal income tax return (Form 1040) and wage statements (Form W-2). Employment letters stating salaries and bank statements may be included to substantiate the I-134. Download Form I-134 at http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis.

My link.

Print out a copy and send it in?

Also, from the U.S. Embassy Manila:

You must bring the following documentation when you come to the Embassy for your interview:

~snip~

My link.

It doesn't say anything about copies. :whistle:

I think everybody is over reading things here.

Interesting. Looks like this part of the manual hasn't been updated for a couple of years:

9 FAM 40.41 N4.6-3 Use of Form I-134, Affidavit of Support

(CT:VISA-1317; 09-24-2009)

a. Because INA 212(a)(4)© and INA 213A require the use of Form I-864, Affidavit of Support Under Section 213A of the Act, for so many classes of immigrants, the use of Form I-134, Affidavit of Support, has been reduced considerably. Nevertheless, there still are circumstances when Form I-134 will be beneficial. This affidavit, submitted by the applicant at your request, is not legally binding on the sponsor and should not be accorded the same weight as Form I-864. Form I-134 should be given consideration as one form of evidence, however, in conjunction with the other forms of evidence mentioned below.

e. To substantiate the information regarding income and resources, the sponsor should attach to the affidavit a copy of the latest Federal income tax return filed prior to the signing of the Form I-134, including all supporting schedules. If you determine that the tax return and/or additional evidence in the file do not establish the sponsor's financial ability to carry out the commitment toward the immigrant for what might be an indefinite period of time, or there is a specific reason (other than the passage of time) to question the veracity of the income stated on the Form I-134 or the accompanying document(s), you should request additional evidence (i.e., statement from an employer showing the sponsor's salary and the length and permanency of employment, recent pay statements, or other financial data).

f. If the sponsor has a well-established business and submits a rating from a recognized business rating organization, you do not need to insist on a copy of the sponsor's latest income tax return or other evidence.

http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/86988.pdf

It doesn't say anything about copies. :whistle:

It doesn't say anything about copies because a copy is the only thing anyone can submit to the Embassy. If you complete your 1040 by hand, you send the original to the IRS, and the only thing you can possibly submit to the Embassy is a copy.

It shouldn't cost you any money , I got my 1040s and w2s for the last 3 years and it only took a week to get to me. Just call em up and tell them you need it ASAP. Getting them online costs a bit of money ,but directly from the IRS should cost you nothing!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.