JEFFLUSI

After Visa Where can we get married?

25 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Get married in 90 file in the 90 day window also. Where ever you want, courthouse or church as long as it is by a licensed minister.

You do not need to file in the 90 days, only marry in the 90 days. Filing in the 90 days protects your status but there is no issue doing it after the I-94 expires.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Venezuela
Timeline

Question came up tonight thinking about my fiance's family and them wanting to have a wedding in her home country if and right after the K1 is issued, then traveling back to the US.

Thank you all for your insite. This site is great!!

UMMM NO!!!!!!!!

am i reading this correct.. once she is issued the K1 and its in her hand.. you want to have a WEDDING in INDONESIA>> THEN travel to USA!? with K1 visa to get married here in USA Civil?!

if so, that is visa fraud.. cuz you will be married and will need to get CR1 visa and start all over again..

please correct if i read this wrong.. if so.. forgive. me.. long day..

K101/17/2012.....I-129F ..... sent to Dallas, Texas

01/25/2012.....NOA1 (text & email) ..... sent to Vermont Service Center

01/28/2012.....NOA1 Hard Copy in Mail

07/31/2012.....NOA2.. 188 days update@USCIS

08/03/2012.....NOA2.. Hard Copy

09/04/2012.....Sent Email to Caracas Embassy for Interview date.. they had not contacted her

09/05/2012.....Embassy response.. with interview date!!

10/17/2012.....INTERVIEW @Caracas Embassy!

10/17/2012.....INTERVIEW @Caracas Embassy... APPROVED!!

12/31/2012.....POE.. Miami, arrived to AUSTIN next day smile.png

02/16/2013.....Married!!

AOS - K1

05/06/2013.....I-465 & I-765 sent USPS priority mail

05/14/2013......Email, Text of Receiving package on 5/11

05/16/2013......Hard Copy of NOA1 received: I-465 and _I-765 Application for employment

05/20/2013...... Bio-metric hard-copy.
05/29/2013...... Biometric scheduled. . Austin office

07/15/2013...... EAD card arrived in mail today smile.png

10/20/2013...... Green Card approved! NOA hardcopy received!

10/31/2013...... Green Card Delivered!!

ROC-I-751
07/21/15 90 day Window Opens

07/24/15 I-751 Mailed to Cali. Service Center
09/03/15 Biometeric scheduled and completed

01/26/16 ROC Letter arrived
01/30/16 10 yr Green Card arrived

Question came up tonight thinking about my fiance's family and them wanting to have a wedding in her home country if and right after the K1 is issued, then traveling back to the US.

Thank you all for your insite. This site is great!!

No, you cannot enter the US on a K-1 visa if you're already married.

USCIS

10/01/11 - Filed (2) I-130's

10/04/11 - NOA-1

04/05/12 - NOA-2

Your I-130 was approved in 184 days from your NOA1 date.

NVC

04/23/12 - NVC received both cases (18 days/12 business days from NOA-2)

05/07/12 - Case numbers and IIN's (14 days/10 business days since NVC received)

05/07/12 - Sent out DS-3032 by email; auto-response received

05/08/12 - AOS fee invoiced, paid - "IN PROCESS"

05/09/12 - AOS fee shows as "PAID"

05/10/12 - Spouse's DS-3032 accepted; minor child's rejected = had petitioner call NVC = received verbal acceptance from operator

05/11/12 - Spouse's IV fee invoiced

05/14/12 - Daughter's IV fee invoiced, paid both IV fees - "IN PROCESS"

05/15/12 - Both IV fees show as "PAID"

05/16/12 - Sent both AOS and both IV packages to NVC via USPS (expected delivery: 05/19/12)

05/21/12 - All 4 packages delivered

05/30/12 - Received checklist for daughter's AOS

05/31/12 - Sent response to checklist via USPS (expected delivery: 06/01/12); Spouse's case completed

06/07/12 - Daughter's case completed; waiting for interview date

06/14/12 - P4 received: interview date 07/11/12

Embassy

07/04-05/12 - Medical at SLEC

07/11/12 - Interview: APPROVED!

07/14/12 - Visas on hand

POE: 10/17/12

GC's on hand: 10/31/12

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

You do not need to file in the 90 days, only marry in the 90 days. Filing in the 90 days protects your status but there is no issue doing it after the I-94 expires.

We just went through 17 months of UCSIS stuff, I guess if you want to take a chance, go for it, Why not protect your status!!!

In Arizona its hot hot hot.

http://www.uscis.gov/dateCalculator.html

Timeline

Shopping for an easy way, confused, want to start over or fraud?

Timeline

UMMM NO!!!!!!!!

am i reading this correct.. once she is issued the K1 and its in her hand.. you want to have a WEDDING in INDONESIA>> THEN travel to USA!? with K1 visa to get married here in USA Civil?!

if so, that is visa fraud.. cuz you will be married and will need to get CR1 visa and start all over again..

please correct if i read this wrong.. if so.. forgive. me.. long day..

There seem to be a lot of postings going around that seem to be highly questionable. Which leads me to believe fraud is more prevent than I have noticed in the last 2 years or it is just in your face. Sorry I am not the liberal responder, ""its OK to over stay on my visa because of XYZ. The IO I spoke with this week was very matter of fact with us on toting the letter of USCIS not the spirit. We cannot give any one license to think it is OK to over stay or fudge the system at any portion of the process.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

There seem to be a lot of postings going around that seem to be highly questionable. Which leads me to believe fraud is more prevent than I have noticed in the last 2 years or it is just in your face. Sorry I am not the liberal responder, ""its OK to over stay on my visa because of XYZ. The IO I spoke with this week was very matter of fact with us on toting the letter of USCIS not the spirit. We cannot give any one license to think it is OK to over stay or fudge the system at any portion of the process.

Your post doesn't make much sense but I'm going to assume I understand.

The K1 visa expires the minute you land on US soil. The I-94 then controls the status. The k1 requires that you marry in 90 days in order to be able to AOS based on K1 status (and avoid having to file an I-130).

You seem to think that by overstaying the I-94 they are breaking the rules, they aren't. There is no rule that the K1 needs to AOS in the 90 days, just as soon after marriage as they are able. Some people are unable to file in the 90 days because their state takes several weeks to send them the marriage certificate. Some can't get married till the last couple of days (planning, people flying in etc) so they of course can't file until later. Filing during a holiday season the mail is slower so might not arrive before the I-94 expires. Sometimes there's something wrong with the packet and it's rejected so that takes them past the date. Sometimes they're going to move during the process (like me) and it's dangerous to change your address in the middle of the process. Some people have some drama occur and they can't afford it in time. You saying that you MUST and implying they will get into trouble are lies and it causes undue panic and stress.

I have followed the "letter" of USCIS. I filed when I was able. I filed correctly. I was approved without RFE and without interview even though I filed 4 months after my I-94 expired. Those 4 months are now irrelevant and had no bearing on successfully AOSing.

It doesn't really matter what your opinion is. It matters what the truth is and my post was correct. While it protects your status to file before the I-94 expires (which for many is irrelevant as the spouse of a USC cannot be deported until they are given the chance to AOS, and overstay is forgiven when AOSing based on marriage to a USC), there is NO RULE that you have to. This is the truth and they can do what they need to do based on their personal situation.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I was a couple of days late as well.

93rd day I think.

I wanted to file under 90 and I would recommend that you do this, actually do it as soon as you can.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

Your post doesn't make much sense but I'm going to assume I understand.

The K1 visa expires the minute you land on US soil. The I-94 then controls the status. The k1 requires that you marry in 90 days in order to be able to AOS based on K1 status (and avoid having to file an I-130).

You seem to think that by overstaying the I-94 they are breaking the rules, they aren't. There is no rule that the K1 needs to AOS in the 90 days, just as soon after marriage as they are able. Some people are unable to file in the 90 days because their state takes several weeks to send them the marriage certificate. Some can't get married till the last couple of days (planning, people flying in etc) so they of course can't file until later. Filing during a holiday season the mail is slower so might not arrive before the I-94 expires. Sometimes there's something wrong with the packet and it's rejected so that takes them past the date. Sometimes they're going to move during the process (like me) and it's dangerous to change your address in the middle of the process. Some people have some drama occur and they can't afford it in time. You saying that you MUST and implying they will get into trouble are lies and it causes undue panic and stress.

I have followed the "letter" of USCIS. I filed when I was able. I filed correctly. I was approved without RFE and without interview even though I filed 4 months after my I-94 expired. Those 4 months are now irrelevant and had no bearing on successfully AOSing.

It doesn't really matter what your opinion is. It matters what the truth is and my post was correct. While it protects your status to file before the I-94 expires (which for many is irrelevant as the spouse of a USC cannot be deported until they are given the chance to AOS, and overstay is forgiven when AOSing based on marriage to a USC), there is NO RULE that you have to. This is the truth and they can do what they need to do based on their personal situation.

Filing for Adjustment of Status within the 90 days protects your legal status. Your legal status as a K1 expires after 90 days, married or not. The only way to protect your legal status is to apply for Adjustment of Status, and the only way to maintain continuous legal status is to file for AOS before the K1 visa expires. On the practical side, it is often difficult to arrange for the marriage, and get all the paperwork ready in time to file for AOS within 90 days. Many newsgroup couples have filed for AOS a few days or weeks after the 90 day limit with no problems. Thus far, newsgroup experience has shown this is not a major issue with local USCIS (INS) offices. You are correct, If you lived in a border state where they will ship you home, you would make sure you are in legal status, Peace Brother

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

After we receive the K1 visa, do we have to get married in the US?

Absolutely !!

Come to my house this Saturday afternoon, I'm having some training sessions for the Justices of the Peace-ess-ess.. They can squeeze you in, no problem !! Try to be here at 4, when the afternoon break starts.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.